Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

This is the first bipe for me that uses the knurled thumb screw to attatch the wings....has there been any prob. with vibration trying to loosen them during flight? I assume guys are just getting them ''finger tight''?
I have 2 GP planes with the knurled thumbscrews, the Ultimate Bipe and a Super Skybolt and I have never had the screws come loose on either. While you are building this fine bird, invest in a smooth running engine and take the time to balance the prop and spinner and you will be much happier with less vibration. I have been flying my Ultimate for a number of years and have not had the first problem at all and I used the stock hinge material and I have to relate to the fact that there is practically NO vibration at all in my bird. Of course, before each flying session, I do the same as a full scale pilot pilot does...I check everything within reason.

"HAPPY THANKSGIVING" everyone!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 PM
huntndux
My Feedback: (11)

Guys give me a good suggestion for metal gear servos at an economical price. im using hitec 7955tg on my 30% edge 540 but i havent flown it yet. they are 90 bucks a piece....a bit pricey. i might useone in the rudder of the ultimate, but not all around. i want the plane to be unlimited in ability, so i'll need good servos As i said, i havent flown my edge, the reason is, i need a good rec. battery and a good charger. I have read some much that i am confused on what tobuy. I've heard about the A123. can yall help me here. i plan on putting a da50 in the ultimate, but it might be a dl55 due to budget

thanks

Bobby
Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Uncas

I used HS-5625's at 6 volts on the ailerons. Would have used them on the tail but I had some others laying around.

My first Bipe I used HS-77BB's on the ailerons and they worked fine. Very light, very fast, very cheap. But I had a severe crash due to a break in my reciever antenna and they were all lost. They are not metal gear and they do not meet the new min torque spec. I used them on my UCD46 years ago and the ailerons are actually bigger on that plane.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be careful when choosing servos. Just because they worked on a plane with larger Ailerons, you have to take into account the UCD weighs a lot less than this bipe and you have to remember you are putting more load on a given surface due to the weight
Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Servo's on mine are, 5645's ailerons,and elevator, 5955 on rudder, st126 on throttle, if $$$ are a problem, go 645's everywhere, other than the rudder. If your not bashing her/hardcore 3D, 645 will work on rudder also.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
huntndux
My Feedback: (11)

Money isnt the problem, it just that I bought 5 7955's for my edge just a few weeks ago and my wife might have a cow if I go buy 7 more for this ultimate.>>>

But the plane will be a gas powerplant so Metal gears will be the minimum. I know the 7955's are a bit much for the ailerons, but I will put them on the rudder and elevators. I want the plane to be unlimited. I will go a bit smaller on the aileron servos.

What about the receiver battery and chargerfor this bipe and my 30% edge.Any suggestions. I want to buy the same batteries so I can use the same charger for both

Bobby
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

There's so much out there now with batteries, that opens a debate I want no part of. I'm using 2- 6V 2700mah nihm, rx,and 4.8 1500mah nihm for ignition. Works for me
Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 PM
bubbagates

Personally on this Ultimate I use a single A123 2300 for the receiver and a 1100 A123 on the ignition. I use about 1/2 the receiver battery after 5 flights and I have gone as far as 15 flights on the ignition battery. this is doing both sport/IMAC type flying and radical, hard punching 3d

On my 40% Carden Extra I use 2 2300 A123's one the receiver and an 1100 A123 for the ignition. I charge everything after 5 flights on that plane and put in about 2/3rds for the receiver packs and 1/2 for the ignition pack. Yes the weight of the packs themselves are more than Li-ION but until you add the regulators and other things for Li-ION then it is only a couple ounces more and I can put 1500mAh into the 2300 packets in around 15 minutes. This plane is doing nothing more than IMAC flying
Old 11-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Uncas

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

You have to be careful when choosing servos. Just because they worked on a plane with larger Ailerons, you have to take into account the UCD weighs a lot less than this bipe and you have to remember you are putting more load on a given surface due to the weight
Bubbagates,
Never considered the weight loading - good comment. The HS-77BB's @ 6v did meet the min Torque requirement at the time I installed them: 50 for sport flying and 75 for 3D. GP later upgraded the min Torque to 98oz-in and recommended MG, which technically puts the 77's out of spec. I really wrestled with complying with the new spec when I built my second Bipe but in the end I went with the 5625's at a cost of an additional 4 oz of weight and twice the cost per servo. Tq went from 76 to 130 oz-in.

huntndux,
Batteries I use 1700mah Elite Nimhs from Cheapbatterypacks.com and am very happy with them. They hold their voltage up better than others I have used. I use 4 cell for the engine and 5 cell for the receiver. Mount the 5 cell way back in the tail.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
flygilmore

I will be using a single 2300mah A123 pack for RX (I build my own and save major $) a NiMH for ign. and 7955's for all servos....DS821 on throttle/choke. I know that the 7955's are way overkill for the ailerons but I had them laying around so might as well use them. Last night I spent the evening going over all the joints I could get to with thin CA....mine was glued very well though I don't care for the "mystery" glue that they use!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 AM
iflywhenican

On some of the ARF'S that I have seen, the "mystery glue" seems to be nothing more than simple hotglue stix....[X(]
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Which seems to all too often have dang little bonding ability.[]

Question to all;

Has anyone tried flying one of these with ONLY the bottom wing (CG corrected of course)???
Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
flygilmore

Just test flew mine the other day and what a wonderful smooth flying plane!!!!!! I am extremely happy with it for sure. The only downside is that my wheelpants are toast now and I have never had a prob. with any of my other planes wheel pants on my field. I also noted that the wheel pants on this Ult. are much, much thinner than anything I have ever had before as well and I was able to just tear the pants with my fingers easily. Anyone with some good advice on how to beef up the inside of the pants cause I hate the thought of having to fly this plane without wheelpants as it would take away from the nice lines terribly!

thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

...............Anyone with some good advice on how to beef up the inside of the pants cause I hate the thought of having to fly this plane without wheelpants as it would take away from the nice lines terribly!

thanks
Last link listed here.....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8772139
....bottom of my list of 'mods' we've done over the years.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
HelividD

Hi guys, I have a few questions as I have read your thread(tried to, but I definately checked out the mod's page) "after" building my plane. Question 1: An OS 1.60 turning a 20*6 prop at 8250 rpm should be good for mild aerobatics correct? I know "now" that Ireally need to probably upgrade to a gas motor(I will be doing a DLE 55, as I love the 30 that I have in my Aeroworks model), but in the meantime, just to get used to the model and sport flying, these are the tach's I am getting with my motor, gas and zinger pro.

I actually, am looking at the hobby shop now for the upgraded landing gear and will be switching them out asap. I actually, thank you guys for the pinning of the firewall idea.

Thanks for the input guys! And it is a wonderful plane that I cannot wait to fly! :-)

Oh, and someone was asking about batteries and chargers: For chargers, simple suggestion: Hyperion for flexibility, features and upgradeability. That is, as long as you do know how to program them. For batteries, on this model, I am running a 6volt 4200 nimh pack. But, the Hyperion chargers are pretty much the best as long as I have used. And my wife and I use two chargers for all our models(helicopters, radio's(surface), cars, airplanes and more) and I am using the original I purchased two years ago(610i) with the firmware upgrades they have given on it, and you can charge any battery with it... Love em!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: HelividD

Hi guys, I have a few questions as I have read your thread(tried to, but I definately checked out the mod's page) ''after'' building my plane. Question 1: An OS 1.60 turning a 20*6 prop at 8250 rpm should be good for mild aerobatics correct? I know ''now'' that I really need to probably upgrade to a gas motor(I will be doing a DLE 55, as I love the 30 that I have in my Aeroworks model), but in the meantime, just to get used to the model and sport flying, these are the tach's I am getting with my motor, gas and zinger pro.

I actually, am looking at the hobby shop now for the upgraded landing gear and will be switching them out asap. I actually, thank you guys for the pinning of the firewall idea.

Thanks for the input guys! And it is a wonderful plane that I cannot wait to fly! :-)

Oh, and someone was asking about batteries and chargers: For chargers, simple suggestion: Hyperion for flexibility, features and upgradeability. That is, as long as you do know how to program them. For batteries, on this model, I am running a 6volt 4200 nimh pack. But, the Hyperion chargers are pretty much the best as long as I have used. And my wife and I use two chargers for all our models(helicopters, radio's(surface), cars, airplanes and more) and I am using the original I purchased two years ago(610i) with the firmware upgrades they have given on it, and you can charge any battery with it... Love em!
May I make a suggestion regarding your prop choice. I would go with the APC 18x6 wide blade. It is a perfect match for that plane/engine (OS 160) combo. The spool up with be a tiny bit slower and the overall speed will be slightly slower BUT the bite that prop produces is great on that engine. Just make sure it's the wide blade version

You will love this plane, iIt's a big puddy tat when you want it to be and a well mannered Lion when you feel like getting crazy with it
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
HelividD

Hi Bubba,

I may just check out that prop, as I don't want a high speed plane(I would prefer it to fly slower with more grunt), but I figured that a smaller diameter prop would make it even faster, as far as rpm and overall speed of the model. LOL, I have been placing larger props with less pitch on my planes just to slow them down(I run 30% helicopter fuel in my airplanes) as the power is crazy and they turn into mini rockets, never get hot and you have instant smoke system! Even on the ground, it is yanking the plane with that combination. But, I will try that prop. It's an APC, but is that a wooden one(I am biased to wooden props versus the plastics)?

And actually, at first, that is what I am looking for is a nice mild but yet smooth model in this one. I know it will take some time getting used to it, but I simply cannot wait!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
bubbagates

The APC is Fiberglass but if you are fine with the one you are using then stick with it. My guess is the wide blade APC will be about the same pull but for 3D work, a good wooden prop will spool up much faster.

It's been a while since I've flown glow but 30% in an OS160 is a lot of nitro, especially when the 160 runs perfectly fine on 5% or even FAI fuel (0% nitro). I hear ya about the smoke system using 30%. I used 30% in my YS engines and instant smoke system and stupid power with really fast throttle reactions
Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
HelividD

I honestly, am not sure about the props with the larger engines since I am running the helicopter fuel, and am sort of a loner with that scenerio. But yes, the throttle response is great even when rich and the needles are easier to set by far... But, I am going to pick up one of those props and see also how it performs.

And actually, yes, it is a lot of nitro, but the blend I am using(oil package), as strange as it sounds, is sort of a godsend the way it performs, and I have another 7 cases to burn through at the moment. But even after that, because it works soo well, I think I am just going to stick with it, if I do not convert it to gas at that point(which, depending on how it performs, I may not, as I would have to do a lot of balancing again and the like, but there is quite a bit more power in a 55(I am thinking theoretically) and that is one less thing I would have to bring to the field(two types of fuel jugs).. Haven't decided yet...

:-)
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
bubbagates

By all means, keep us up to date....we all love hearing about how people are enjoying this plane, this thread has been running for a very long time and I personally cannot think of any time where people got upset or anything short of a mild disagreement that was usually solved in the next post or two. I'd bet it's been one of the best and longest running threads on RCU, or very close to it
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
HelividD

I will definately. And this is probably the longest thread I have even seen on "any" forum I have been on(not just r/c), and you guys have given and found excellent things about this plane. That is the reason why I am sort of torn.... LOL, maybe I just need to buy a second one for comparison...
Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: HelividD

LOL, maybe I just need to buy a second one for comparison... [img][/img]
Here ya go.....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=707197
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
HelividD

LOL, I wasn't serious(though the price is excellent)... Lmao! And the ad is showing closed?....
Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 AM
a1pcfixer

Wasn't "expired" when I posted the link.

E-mail or PM him if you're interested.....might get it even cheaper![8D]
Old 01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
stanordave

Just got one in from my wife as a belated Christmas present (out of stock earlier). Started building (would have been sooner but ny eyes are crossed after perusiong this thread from start to end! ) and noticed 8 holes and slits in the covering. Would have been nice if GP included some patch momokote in the box so I could repair it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.