Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Gungadin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxair Revolution II Velox

It was not defective on delivery but they tend to develope cracks as the flying piles up (there are others on this thread who have reported the same) and so mine does not look so hot after 40 or 50 flights on it. Unfortunately Maxair does not seem to be big on supplying replacement parts. But it is a good flying airplane for sure.[
Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks for the input,you do have to be careful with any new retailers out there,many are here today,gone tomarrow.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Gungadin...

I know OMP is handiling the Velox plane also. Maybe they will have a cowl? Maybe not, but it would be worth a contact.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Yes we are proudly carrying the Velox. Great plane and we have ours set up with the YS 110. Very strong performance with this setup. I would think going gas would drive the AUW a little on the high side. Anyway Jason has told us we can get cowls for our OMP customers.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Gungadin

Barry--I have checked with OMP and Maxair within the last two weeks and got NO from both sources.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Gungadin

Mike -- I am sending you an e-mail about price and delivery for the Velox cowling.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
MIXMASTER

Finally,after 3 attempts,my credit card went thru for the Velox,now for the engine,probably OS 1.20AX-what else?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 AM
choopi
My Feedback: (1)

OS 120AX is a good go with a 16x6APC it run well on 5%nitro and the stock muffler work also, so it is a cheap way to get a good match. As you built that plane, look at epoxy the front end fire wall and all that, mine had a rough time this week on the ice, now I have no choice but the glue the front end. To have an idea of the OS120 look at the video, no big deal but it will give you an idea of the performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0DLWhm0Wa0

Good luck
Eric
Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 AM
MIXMASTER

My web browser is locking out the vid,no worry,I'm sure the OS1.20AX will work with Velox as long as it comes in around 9#,better still if less.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Barry Cazier

Mixmaster...

With my 27oz mighty 110 my plane weighs 8lbs 9 ozs. I can't remember but I think the OS 120 is about the same weight. If it's a bit more it will help for balance. I didn't have to add any weight but my battery is as far forward as I can get it. I mounted it on the outside of the motor box and all the way forward. It did balance well there but it your engine is an ounce or so heavier, so much the better.

Here's a picture.

Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56021.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	577730  
Old 12-15-2006, 11:39 AM
MIXMASTER

I'm pretty sure the OS 1.20 weighs more but what the heck,up to 9# it should be good. I can see the engine box is minimal for weight,looks like I'll have to add some wood up there. Man do I feel lucky here,with that storm hitting near you and I'm looking at another weekend of decadence,camping,drinking,eating,flying,& more of the same on Sunday.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Barry Cazier

Mixmaster...

You are lucky to have good weather. We have snow, I'm pretty sure I'm done flying until March. I may take a road trip to Salt Lake City (200 miles) and fly down there. Their weather is considerably warmer than ours. And I've got an invatation, so I just might take them up on it.

The motor box dosn't need reinforced. It's tough as nails. What you can see in the pic goes back into the fuse quite a ways. I did have to glue mine a bit better because it shook loose, but no reinforcement required. This is a well built airplane. Not glued the best is spots, but I didn't add any wood, except a very small piece of balsa to beef up where the hatch goes into the fuse area. That's pretty light and broke 3 times until I beefed it up a bit. Maybe 1/16 of an ounce. I mean if just took a little bit to keep it from breaking. And even if it breaks in that area it doesn't hurt the integrity of the plane.

Anyways, I think you'll like this plane. And I think the OS120AX will fly it great. You can turn a 16x6 prop in the mid 9000RPM can't you? My might 110 turns it about 9600 but I never need to run it that fast.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Barry Cazier

Mix...

As I thought about the build on the Velox I realized that it's not the same as your basic GP or H9 ARF. It's built all together differently. It's all laser cut wood with very little balsa. The motor box is an intregal part of the airframe, not just glued in there. The landing gear is hidden under the belly pan and it just builds a lot like a 50CC airplane. Probably another reason it flys so good for it's size.

I don't have the Funtana 100 X. I'm very interested to hear your comparison of the two planes. My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised with the Velox. Hovering, probably no difference. Maybe even a bit harder with the Velox, everything else I'm betting is better. You just can't get a plane to KE better than the Velox. I mean absolutely no mixing to KE perfectly in either direction. I'm not sure how the Funtana flat spins but the Velox does them well and waterfalls are neat and tight also.

Anyways, looking forward to you input and comparison.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-15-2006, 01:23 PM
MIXMASTER

Hopefully I'll still be flying the X100 by this spring when the Velox is done. I have 3 birds flyable,just about what I can handle at one time.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Gungadin

"Anyway Jason has told us we can get cowls for our OMP customers" ---Well I have been trying to get one since Sept. 10th and still have not received one encouraging reply in over three months. Saying you can get something is one thing, doing it is another. No one is even willing to give me something as simple as price and availability. Why should that be so stinking hard ?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:07 AM
visart

I have just completed my test flight with the Evolution II. Perfect from the getgo. I powered it with a OS 160 and am still running it in. Have not done any 3D yet - just some basic aerobatics. Got to say - this is the best plane I have flown so far. Fast or slow it is predictable and vice free. And absolute winner. Several small problems did emerge on the build. The under carriage was drilled the wrong way which put the wheels very close to the CoG. I removed it - redrilled the holes the otherway round and hey presto no prop tipping on landing or taxying. Also the ali for the undercarriage is very soft and is prone to bending on all but the softest landings. However I just love flyng it as it is so much fune either fast or slow. Goes vertical forever.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Gungadin

Visart--You think that 160 is enough power ? Geeezz I guess !!! That ought to give it some kind of vertical. Mine has a 120 2 stroke and does pretty well in the vertical department, but not like your 160 I'm sure. I agree with your two comments on the landing gear. I found it just as you say. Chinese aluminum is not quite up to snuff. Yes I had to re-drill the holes so the gear would go on correctly instead of backwards. But it is a good flying airplane for sure.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:39 PM
visart

I had the 160 laying around and it was just begging to go into this plane. Only problem with fitting the OS 160 was the Pitts muffler had to have a section taken off the front edge so it would fit under the cowl. I used a 4 cell sub C battery pack fitted under the turtle deck behind the cockpit to get the CoG correct. Also put the Hitec 5955 rudder servo down the back as a push pull set-up rather than the more popular pull - pull arrangement. I had one of my clubs Imac pilots have a fly to check on the set - up and thrust lines etc. He commented that nothing needed adjustment and it went vertical better than his DA 50 Extra. It was a great compliment to the plane and the out of the box setup.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 AM
MIXMASTER

My wife called me at work to tell me Big Brown just delivered a big box,wonder if its the Velox or Double Vision,cant wait to get home and rip it open!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Barry Cazier

Let us know.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-26-2006, 10:15 AM
MIXMASTER

It was the Velox,and the DV came the next day. I inspected everything,it looks good to go,no major issues with appearance ect.. The color scheme looks better in person,the yellow is a metal-flake and vibrant golden color,nice! It felt heavy but I didnt weigh anything so its only a guess for now. It looks strong,the firewall sides go deep into the fuse,good design,one thing that looks like a problem is the huge tri-stock used inside the engine box. It looks like I'll have to carve a lot to get "T" nuts in there. I gotta see how that cowl attaches,looks interesting,maybe a new standard?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Barry Cazier

Mix...

Glad you got the plane and the DV. You'll love the way the Velox flys. My guess is your all up weight will still be under 9 lbs even with the OS120.

The cowl is really neat the way it attaches. You don't have to meausre and dirll and mount. It mounts with screws from the inside. You don't see the screws from the outside. Pretty neat. The cowl is made of a different composite fiberglass than I'm used to. You can feel the difference when you cut it for the engine.

Pretty neat plane.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
MIXMASTER

9 # would be acceptable,I think OS 120 can handle it. Its a nice looking ARF,now I can get some vids too,its been a very Merry for me!
All I need for Christmas now is some more flying weather!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:52 PM
ssimpson

I am in the process of setting up the Velox Rev 2 and need to decide which engine to go with. Initially I thought I'd go with a Saito 100, but that may not have enough power. I'm trying to decide between the Saito 125 and the OS 120. Any thoughts?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Barry Cazier

ssimpson...

If it were me I'd go with the YS110. Same price as the Saito. If you're not going to go with the YS...go with the OS 120 (2stroke).

Thanks
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.