Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:03 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxair Revolution II Velox

What's new Barry,any flying lately? I missed the first weekend last week due to cold&wind,doesnt look good for this weekend either. Since I started the DV, I havent started the Velox yet,will be my next project though.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Mixmaster...

No not flying. Last time was Dec 9. We have about a foot of snow and it's cold. I'm thinking this year of going to Utah (about 200 miles) or Twin Falls, Idaho (160 miles) and do a little flying. Both areas are considerably warmer than we are. If I pick the right day...I could go fly for a day and really enjoy it. I'm thinking about doing that in a week or two.

I'm putting together a Great Planes Ultimate 50cc plane. I'm not doing very well on it. I've have it for 2 months and don't really even have a good start on it. Behind that one I have an OMP Fusion I'm building (crashed my original) with a mighty 110 on it. It's a fun plane to fly. And...I just ordered a QQ 86" (50cc class) Yak. It'll ship about the first week in March from what I've been told. But for some reason I just can't get going on the build stuff. Maybe I'm losing some of my RC drive. I don't know. Probably if I got to fly it may rejuvinate me. I hope so.

Other than that I've been doing the yearly maintenance of the 5 other planes I own. Just clean up the covering, patch here and there, clean, adjust, fiddle, change CG, thrust lines, etc. to have everything ready for spring. I like to change everything in the winter and have everything ready to go for spring, then I don't have to do that much (except fly) for the first 3-4 months of the year. That's kinda nice.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-07-2007, 11:43 AM
MIXMASTER

If I had a tough winter like that I would definately consider driving a little to get a flying day in! (plus,I'd be too far for the wife to bother me!) We have 2 50cc QQ Yaks here and they fly awesome! One guy here has just started 3-D'ing this past summer & flys the QQ Yak,its a great flying plane,he does beautiful rolling harriers,hovers & it does walls just like the Ultra-RC Giles,it over rotates. Take a break for a while,I get the same way at times, I only need to drop it for a week or 2 and then I realise something is missing & go back to it.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 AM
pliebo

hey guys, I got to maiden my velox yesterday! after breaking in the 110 I took her up for a couple of rich setting break in flights. It was pretty windy but I got the fee3l for it at least. this thing really is a kinfe edge dream! no coupling at all! really makes 4 & 8 point rolls nice. tracks really straight & level too. only a few clicks of up elevator were required. After the first flightI had to tighten the prop ( this YS reaaly puts out some power!) richened it uop a hair( the manual says 1.5 turns out but that wasn't enough for this cold weather, medium altitude flying)2 turns out was perfect. after that she really started to purr. the second flight I got in a little mild 3-d. hovers were easy, watrerfalls were nice and tight, harriers were a little high till I get used to it, but didn't notice any rocking. With the exception of some loose covering, and the screws being too short for the control horns, I love this thing! guys at the field liked it too. said it looked like a wild hare. I can't wait to get in some more 3-d stuff today if the weather stays nice, want to try some flat spins,inverted harriers, elevators, and lomcevacs. I have a feeling this is my new favorite plane!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Barry Cazier

Congratulations on your maiden flights. It truly is a wonderful flying airplane. I think the covering and maybe a soft piece of wood here and there are the weakest points. But, man, does this plane ever fly good.

I've flown many airplane in this class (90 size) and this is the best one. From a flying stand point, it has no equal. At least that's the way I feel about mine.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
pliebo

after flying again today I am in agreement ! this thing is a 3-d machine! today was the first time I've ever done a successful torque roll. hovering is so stable it just rotates around nice and steady. I like the way it looks in the pattern stuff too. I only got one flight today but I can't say enough about the knife edge performance. it makes the rolls so axial too. rolling harriers were smooth. I have a comfortable feeling with this plane like I might be able to get down really low to the ground with confidence. no snapping or anything wierd happenning.
unfortunately my wheel pant came loose and stuck straight down below the wheel. when I landed it just stuck in the ground and tore my landing gear off. but it was an easy fix cause it made a clean break without tearing the whole bottom of the plane apart. I've got it fixed now and will be ready for more action tomorrow. I really like this plane.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

Pliebo, where do you have your CG? I'm starting to think I'm just lousy at hovering as I struggle with mine. Everything else seems fine though. I guess I just need more practice with this plane. Sinced it's about 30 mph winds and 12" of snow supposed to come today all around 2 or 3 degrees, I think I'm going to have to wait a bit just yet.
Don
Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 PM
pliebo

hey Don, I have my cg at 6 1/4 behind L.E> of wing. that's about 3/4 back from the reccomended point, maybe that's why mine is hovering so easy. also I've been doing alot of practicing on the sim. I'd say that 30 mph wind yall get there wouldn't help the hovering much though
I think it just takes a while to get used to the plane, I always tinker with my cg setup and control throws till I find the right combination. I like mine a little tail heavy and lots of rudder and elevator with a little less than maximum aileron.

I just reserved one of the new aeroworks .90 - 1.25 size quick build yaks. this is my favorite size plane and I've heard some good stuff about aeroworks, and the yak is my favorite airframe. I downloaded the manual and this thing is going to be awesome! guess I'll have to get another mighty 110! Even though mine is still new,.I think it has much better all around performance on the velox than the sa 125 would. I'm glad I got turned on to them on this thread when barry tried both and found the 110 to be more punchy & powerful.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

I have 3 110's, 2 63s, and a 140 sport. I had a used 120FZ as well and so far all have been good. I have all YS except for one Saito 100 which is also a nice running engine. I lik the pumped engines as it does away with the fuel problems. I was nervous about them at first but they aren't hard once you learn and you have to leave them alone. I just backed my CG to where you have yours but haven't been able to fly. I guess I'll know soon enough. I looked at the Aeroworks Yak as well and thought it looked good. I have too many planes right now though. I guess I'll have to crash a few.
Don
Old 02-14-2007, 07:02 AM
pliebo

wow, you guys on this thread are all YS junkies aren't ya I am liking my 110 although at first it was freaking me out. It was REAL hard to turn over with the starter,then it had a hard stopping sound when I would adjust the needle to where it was supposed to be in the manual.I guess the suggested setting was just that, a suggestion. once I richened it up some it started running through the whole break in process. Now, as long as I keep it rich, it runs great. I think once I get a couple of gallons through it it will really shine.and I've learned you can start it by hand if you hit the compression stroke just right. I like the pump on it and that you can set the tank anywhere you want. it does seem like it is using alot of fuel now but I guess when I get it broken in all the way and can lean it out that will change. Anyway I just barely crack the throttle for harriers and hovering is just about 1/3 throttle! It's a real powerhouse.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:48 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Anyone have any experience with a Saito 1.50 on this plane? I am leaning toward this plane with a 1.50..
Any thoughts?
Jeff
Old 02-18-2007, 02:51 AM
rcflyer96

The 1.50 should be a great combo for this plane. I flew the prototype a few times with the 110 and it was great. I would think the 1.50 would be about the same or even a bit more power.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:34 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Where's the cheapest place to get this kit these days?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Barry Cazier

ORIGINAL: BoneDoc

Where's the cheapest place to get this kit these days?
I think the cheapest is directly from www.maxairrc.com They have it on sale for $179. That's a heck of a price for a great flying plane.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Love2FlyMN

a
Old 02-20-2007, 10:39 AM
MIXMASTER

Started building mine this weekend ,had to because I dont have a Do or X100 anymore. The construction looks very good,I like the way the fire wall sides go all the way back to the wing tube,looks like it will hold up to botched harrier landings.(which I dont plan on doing for a while ) I wonder why they didnt double taper the elevators? Hope I dont need more than 45 deg throw. How does the LG hold up?? (it looks a little too springy-soft)?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Gungadin

Mixmaster--Yea the landing gear is chinese aluminum and is marginal in a couple of areas. Perhaps the newer
kits have the gear mtg. holes drilled correctly instead of backwards. It's easy to re-drill them correctly. A good flying airplane though. Good luck on your build.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Barry Cazier

Mixmaster,

Good luck on your build. Like I've said before...you'll be pleasantly surprised how well the Velox flys. The KE will astound you. It will waterfall very nice (a good indication that the elevator travel is sufficient). I don't think it will flat spin (no rising FS) as well as the UCD but everything else is better. You'll be hovering this baby down low very quickly.

On the landing gear...I think it is pretty cheap, but it's what I used and am still using. A lot better than the carbon crap found on the Showtime or EF Yak, etc. I pancaked my very hard one time and thought I had destroyed the plane. To my surprise...all the energy was taken up by that landing gear which was now just "flat". I bent it back into place, checked everything out, no damage, and went on flying. I was amazed...so, my advice is to use it. It may be too weak after awhile but not bad for the first 50 or so flights. I must admit though, I don't do harrier landings. They seem hard on equipment to me.

Good luck.

Thanks
Barry

PS: Be sure and add glue to the firewall where all the joints stick through it. Mine came loose there.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM
MIXMASTER

Thanks for the input,I will stay with the stock gear. I like a lot about this ARF,the design looks strong,love the cowl mounting,this thing completely swallows the OS 1.20AX,maybe the muffler will require cutting on the bottom. The only miss I see so far is the glue joints & what kind of wood is that,doesnt look like its all balsa,if it is its bad balsa. A few places came apart just from handling it but I shot in CA where ever needed and it wasnt the main structural areas so I'm not sweating it. I want to finish this & another Do,then I will finish my DV.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Barry Cazier

Got some unusually warm weather today. I was able to sneak away for 3 flights with the Velox. A bit windy and cloudy but hey...I'm not complaining.

Today reminded me just how good this plane flys. Wow! Great KE. And it's easy as pie to hover. I was hovering today quite a bit, even with the 16x6 prop. I was flying off off a paved runway (I'm not used to that) and landings were just easy. Settled right down, smooth as you please with a short roll out. Nice.

Waterfalls are wonderful. In fact...there's just nothing this plane doesn't do well. Well, maybe rising flat spin, but everything else is just great.

Mixmaster...hurry and get yours done. I can't wait to hear what you think. You probably think I really pumping this plane up...but you just wait. I'll bet you come back singing it's praises as well.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 AM
pliebo

hey guys, I've been flying my velox alot lately. This thing is great, I think the landing gear is okay I've had a couple of hard landings and I was impressed at the strength, alot stronger than the fliton extra I fly. I agree that some of the wood is soft in there, but it's got it where it counts. I can't get it to do a decent flat spin though and was wondering if the cg affects that? besides that, I can't get enough of flying this plane.
I can bring it in lower and lower each time and it's so stable in harriers and hovering with no tip stalling. that's the thing I love most about it.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 AM
maineflyer

pliebo,
It is funny I have both the Velox with a Saito 1.50 going into it and a Fliton Freestyle Extra with a Saito 1.00 going into that on the schedule to be ready for spring. Any hints for either? I just bit the bullet and had my hobby shop order me 5 Hitec 5625s for the Velox, He gave me a price of $45.00 each so I figure I can go wrong to have some really high speed digis in the Velox. What are you using for a spinner on the Velox? I am thinking of going with a 17x6 APC, I am not sure if a 17x4W is enough prop. I was reading earlier that the plane seems to fly better on a 6 pitch prop. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
MIXMASTER

Working on it every night,spring is coming, I havent flown for 2 weekends now and probably not this weekend either,but that will give me time to finish the Velox,have wings done,engine &cowl mounted,should have it done in a week or 2. If its even close to what you say, I'll love it,might even replace the Do as my all time favorite. I have not had a plane yet that doesnt rock in harriers,if I ever get one,it will be too easy to harrier for me,I'm used to working at it!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:16 AM
pliebo

hey maineflyer, I 'd say those digitals will be perfect for the velox. I've got some noname 120 oz digitals in mine and they do great. I'm using a 3" carbon fiber spinner I got from troy built models on mine and a 16 6 apc prop,( but I have the YS 110 on mine.)

As far as hints for the Fl extra, you might want to make your fuel tank easily removeable, cause you can't get to the wing bolts with it in the forward area. theres alot of stuff that's a pain in the ass about the extra but it will be worth it when you get it in the air. I set mine up with custom cut holes in the rear for dual elevator servos,( minis) but if I had it to do over again I would just use the stock set up. I use it on my Fl edge and it works fine. you can pm me if you want for any other hints.

Anyway, even though the Extra is awesomely slippery & nimble, I think you will like the velox better. I just keep loving this hover, torque roll harrier stability! I was just saying I might order another one just in case they quit making them cause it's my favorite right now. and they're such a good price! My cowl is cracked pretty badly now, but I guess that's a small price to pay, I've always cared more about flying charecteristics than looks.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
maineflyer

Mine will be here Monday . I can't wait!! I will PM you about the extra.
Thanks
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.