Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxair Revolution II Velox

AUW=9lbs. (I have a very heavy 6V,2700mah pack,no pants,no spinner,wood prop,OS 1.20 AX) I'm not upset with the weight,I could make it lighter but I think the 1.2o will be enough to do the job. No sense in going crazy until I fly it first. I set the initial CG to 6.2",1/2" back from recommended,I had to place the battery on top of the fuel tank to get 6.2,I was at 6.7" with the pack behind the throttle servo. I have 5625's on rudd,ailerons,HS635's on elevator halves,standard digi on throttle. This plane went together quick&easy, much easier than a Do,I have to make a lot of changes to get a Do right. Hope my LHS has the Dubro offset horns I need to finish her,thats all I have left to do & its maiden for me. If this flys like I want,maybe no more Do,I'll get a spare Velox! The main problem was the wing tube fit,it looks like the inside of the FG guide tube has a wrapper stuck on still in places,I had to sand the CF tube to get it in the wings,other than that,I wouldnt mind building another.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

At the price if it flys well, I will have a second one in the wings. Only wish is to get it in all white so I could trim/paint it up like I want. Also wish they had some vinyl graphics for it.
Jeff
Old 02-26-2007, 11:45 AM
MIXMASTER

Yep, if it flys like Barry says, it'll be another for me to,besides,my buds here all hate the Do for some reason. I think its because they hate to see a low end plane do so much for so little $$$-ha-ha.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Mixmaster...

I can't wait to hear your initial impressions. I really can't. I can't quit grinning just thinking about it.

When are you planning the maiden? Can you take your laptop and give us a report quickly?

I had to put my battery way up front also.

Good luck.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
MIXMASTER

If all goes well,this weekend. I just watched all the Maxair videos,I love the slow HA KE passes,I do that w/Do all the time,well ,used to w/Do. The rollers are impressive too,where are the harriers? Its a shame they didnt get the cowl on,some will be suspicious they are up to something to get it flying right. Yours does everything w/cowl on?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
MIXMASTER

Oh yeah,almost forgot about my Christmas gift,I might be able to get a vid of maiden,I finally figured out how to get my DVD's to convert to compressed video file(Windows Media Player compatible).
Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Barry Cazier

I've never flown mine without the cowl. It will do everything I can do. I'm still learning rolling harriers but I can do a sloppy version of them with the Velox. The KE is absolutely amazing. It hovers very easy also. I'm tempted to take my CG back just a bit. I'm at 6". I think it might be worth it to go back even farther. I don't know how that would effect the KE. Right now I have no coupling at all. Love it.
Thanks
bArry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98342.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	630273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75029.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	630274  
Old 02-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Barry Cazier

Wow...

I remember that day. Been a long time since the weather's been that good.

Thanks
Barry
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
MIXMASTER

Thats where you want to be,have a plane that is better than you & hammer away with it,soon you will catch up to it. Stay tuned.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
MIXMASTER

Moving CG back makes all the tail surfaces more effective,if you go back in 1/4" increments, you should be safe,no huge differences in handling. Once you get to the point where it climbs inverted, you are close to a extremely pitch/yaw sensitive plane. I've gone so far once that even landing with down elev. was required but with expo&rates you can deal with it once you get used to it. Flat spins become completely flat,tight KE loops,crazy snaps,lomcevaks,KE spins.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Barry Cazier

It does all the good stuff you mention great where my CG is at. I have to give it just a "hair" of down elevator when flying inverted. Just a "HAIR" very slight. So...I'm very close. Your's might be perfect.

Thanks
Barry

PS: Email me with your maiden. I'm taking a break from RCU for a while. I'm a little freaked out.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
rcflyer96

Hey guys, cowl on the prototype just wasn't co-operating thats why it wasn't on. Harriers were just as good as KE, well ok thats a lie because the KE is pretty much perfect. Inverted harriers were rock solid, and rolling harriers were very sweet too. I only had a chance to fly it a few times but its a great plane!!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
maineflyer

I can't wait to get mine. Jason said he was sending last week but I haven't seen it yet. Hopefully tomorrow. I want to dive right into it and get it ready for spring.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 AM
MIXMASTER

Its DONE! Finished the control rods last night,I went with Dubro screw horns in ail & rudd,had to use nylon T-style horns on elevator. I didnt trust the supplied horns(they are too short IMO also), had to use the T's because there is no wood on top of the elevators, but it looks like its hard ply underneath,I used wood screws and a drop of Med. CA under the horn for extra hold,its just the same way the Vision mounts its elevator horns. I tested it ,I couldnt pull it loose so it should be strong enough.I finished it in 2 weeks,fast for me. Weekend weather is a go if the forcast holds up,oh boy,another maiden.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

Mix, I found the control surfaces to be pretty sensitive on maiden. You might want to go low rates for the first flight to feel it out. You're likely a better pilot than me but I thought I would add my .02.
Don
Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 PM
MIXMASTER

I normally do on take off,I might go to higher rates once up high to get a feel. I'm wondering if the 5 pitch prop will do with this bird,with light planes like the X100 and Do,5 is fine,but for some reason I think this plane might need 6 to fly right.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

I tried an APC 17x4w and an APC 16x6 on my 110 and I liked the 16x6 better. I think the 120AX is similar according to what I've read. I would try both to be sure but I bet you end up with a 6 pitch.
Don
Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
choopi
My Feedback: (1)

I use 16x6 with my OS120Ax it look like perfect match.

Eric
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
rcflyer96

I stuck a 17 X 6 APC on my 120AX so far so good, but I must confess I haven't tached it yet.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
choopi
My Feedback: (1)

with the 16x6 I get about 9300RPM, but the engine is still new about half a gallon and it's 5% nitro only, not to bad!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 AM
MIXMASTER

I was getting around 9500 w/ the 17X5,will go with it for first flights & wait & see. BE CAREFULL when screwing in wing servos, a rib broke from the downward pressure, it must have been brittle balsa because it exploded apart into several pieces. I had to cut covering & found the rails were not glued very good, all the pressure went to the 1/16 balsa rib which cannot take much. I had to change the servo, brand new Hitec HS5625 was not centering and constant ringing sound . This is the first DOA Hitec I've had in 15 years.( lucky, I had spares) Come on weekend!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
maineflyer

I got mine today and for the price I am very impressed. I went over it this evening with a heat gun and tightened everything up but over all it looks very good. The joints appear tight and well glued and the covering is well done. The only thing I had was one of the hinges had slid into the aileron so I had to cut the covering to take it out. Can't stand the rattle... Like I said for this size plane this is a great deal. If it flys like people say it is a winner and I may pick up a second for a backup. The hardware is top notch also, which you can't say for all offerings this size. I have only seen one ARF this size that came in better condition and that was a big Dave Patrick Ultimate. (it was pristine and covering was friggin perfect). But it was also over twice the price of the Revolution.
Anyone looking for a plane for a spare engine in this size range should seriously check this plane out..
Jeff
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
MIXMASTER

Mine is done,weekend is looking OK,not great but good enough for a maiden flight,will report back this Monday. All that is left is to cover hinge gaps w/clear Monokote. I went with T-nuts to hold canopy on,that has always worked for me as long as I use rubber or Tygon washers to bind the screws from vibration,did the same for the cowl,machine screws will vibrate out. Man I hope this plane flys like they say,I dont believe ads any more, but its sounding good here on RCU.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 AM
maineflyer

Mix,
I agree with that about the adds. I weight the opinions here much higher than the adds. I can't wait to hear what you think.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
MIXMASTER

MY FLIGHT REPORT: Its true!,this plane is very true with little to no bad coupling in KE,rolls very axial,ailerons very effective. Just 2 clicks of elevator needed,she climbs a little inverted. It handles wind very well,feels like a bigger plane up there. The wind was variable and gusty, so it was difficult to assess all 3-D stunts but the rolling harriers are very nice looking,the tail surfaces are very effective in hovers,easy to over correct. It likes to TR,it does so even as it falls out of hovers. I didnt do much hovering either due to wind & it needs more right thrust.(plus I'm burnt out from all the crashes lately) I'm taking a break from all out 3-D for a while,well at least the DOD stuff. As the sun was setting & wind died down a little, I tried more harriers,it did rock some and the usual aileron input didnt solve it. I noticed that downwind, it locked pretty good, so the wings are not fully stalling into the wind(I'd guess). Again, this may have been due to gusty winds up there,will have at it on a better day. So far, what impressed me most was the KE,I can see slow HA KE all the way down the length of the field with this plane. Flat spins were flat& nice & slow,waterfalls pretty good although I couldnt keep it level all the time. THE LG: the holes were drilled backwards,this puts the wheels 1" further back and the tail wants to lift off constantly,full up is required until lift-off speed. I drilled it correctly after getting home(needs three new holes),it should be better now. (the gear is not symetrical,the back side is longer than the front but its hard to notice unless you measure.)I didnt use any mixing at all, I might need a little spoileron for harriers,will find out later,I inspected everything after each flight(4 total),nothing coming loose,it handles snaps at mid-throttle & 45 deg. up line. It seems strong & put together well,if I get the rocking & thrust line issues resolved,this will be one fine plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.