Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:24 PM
rcflyer96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxair Revolution II Velox

I would try an APC, my F90 has gotta be over 9lbs. My past experiance with Zinger is that well, very bluntly put, they suck. I find they are super inefficient, maybe with shaped tips it would help but I can't see them being up to snuff with the composite material of the APC's.

Just my $0.02, no bashing intended.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:59 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

No problem, to each his own. I dont measure thrust, maybe I should, but I have other parameters I look for: RPM,spool up time & how the plane flys(mainly speed). Other than that, balance is the only other thing I want within acceptable range. I like the Zingers mainly because I find 5 pitch perfect for 3-D & the 2 stroke 100 class engines.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 PM
rcflyer96

Glad you didn't take that the wrong way. I think I tached my 120 at 8800 with the 17X6 on it, and that was a bit rich. I've found spool up is pretty quick too.

Oh well so long as your happy, as you said, to each his own.

Happy flying!!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:47 PM
FLYMIKE

Theres one place that sells these for 259.99 and another that sells for 204.99(maxair model products). dont get caught-up.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:47 PM
FLYMIKE

Barry, I noticed a picture, I think it is on page 4, of your motor installed and it looks like its on the wrong side of the motor mounts but cant tell. It looks like it has to much down thrust.

Is it on the thrust line (motor in line with wing tube)?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Flipper430

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my velox on Monday So far i have unpacked everything and did an inventory,went over the covering with a heat gun and opened up all the servo openings required and the wing tube.I am impressed with the look\quality of the construction.One thing that stick's out like a sore thumb is that the yellow on the cowl is no way near the yellow of the ultracoat?Has anyone else noticed this?If so did you just paint the cowl to match?

How did everyone mount their control horns?I only received 4 small wood screws,is this what you use?Looking at going with Du-bro pinned hinges all the way around (standard size)has anyone else done this?Also is the engine box allready fuel proofed?Next on the list is to go over the fuse with some thin CA and some 30 min epoxy around the enginre box.Well i just thought i would throw this out and share what is going on.Jason,thank's for the great service and keeping me informed as to the status of my plane[sm=thumbs_up.gif]I will definitely deal with you again!!

Thank's
Flipper
Old 04-21-2007, 09:32 PM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Flipper: I don't think you will notice the yellow outside on a sunny day. A automotive paint supplier might be able to match the paint. I used the provided horns with the screws, they turn into a ply plate. I have a Ohio RC 120 size Extra done the same way and five years later all the horns are still intact. I fuel proofed all the wood in the plane back to the end of the tank compartment with tremcad black brush on. I also wicked thin CA into all the joints and cross drilled the firewall and pinned the thing together. Used bamboo skewers for the pins. Also sealed all control surface gaps with clear ultracote and used the provided CA hinges. There is only about 1/8 thickness of balsa to glue hinges to so I would be very carefull if mounting a hinge with epoxy. I did change the hatch mounting from wood screws to 4-40 bolts with blind nuts in the tabs and added a 4-40 nylon bolt through the gear and into a blind nut mounted on a ply plate inside the wheel pants to keep them in place,
Mine ended up with the rudder servo mounted in the tail with the battery just behind the firewall to balance. DuBro 2-56 ball links for 4-40 rod will thread onto the supplied control rods for your servo conections. My wing tube was really really tight in both wings, I tried waxing it but ended up sanding the tube with 400 grit wet paper used wet to keep the dust and fibers down.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: FLYMIKE

Barry, I noticed a picture, I think it is on page 4, of your motor installed and it looks like its on the wrong side of the motor mounts but cant tell. It looks like it has to much down thrust.

FLYMIKE...

I just looked at those pictures as well...It does look a little odd in the photos, but the engine is on the trust line. And the engine is mounted correctly on the engine mount. That's my first installation...now I'm using the mighty 110. I like that engine better.

thanks
Barry
Old 04-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Barry Cazier

My cowl matches pretty nicely. I think the monokote gets different with different runs. But even if it doesn't match perfectly it doesn't bother me that much. I have a AirWild Extra and it's way off. When asked about it I tell people it's the secret to hovering...keeps your eyes focussed on the cowl and makes it easier to hover. The just say..."oh".

thanks
barry
Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Flipper430

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the fuse and cowl outside and they do look close enough for me.Barry,did you use pinned hinges instead of the CA ones?if so did it work out allright?I was thinking of using the standard size ones fro Du-bro.Also i went through this thread again and it looks like some folk's used the backing plate for the control horns on the ailerons and wood screws for the elevators.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:38 PM
FLYMIKE

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

ORIGINAL: FLYMIKE

FLYMIKE...

I just looked at those pictures as well...It does look a little odd in the photos, but the engine is on the trust line. And the engine is mounted correctly on the engine mount. That's my first installation...now I'm using the mighty 110. I like that engine better.

thanks
Barry
Cool
Old 04-22-2007, 08:39 PM
FLYMIKE

Should have my plane this week!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Barry Cazier

ORIGINAL: Flipper430

I took the fuse and cowl outside and they do look close enough for me.Barry,did you use pinned hinges instead of the CA ones?if so did it work out allright?I was thinking of using the standard size ones fro Du-bro.Also i went through this thread again and it looks like some folk's used the backing plate for the control horns on the ailerons and wood screws for the elevators.
Flipper...

I used the DuBro or Great Planes (I can't remember for sure which, I've used both) pinned hinges. I used the standard size and I used epoxy 30 minute glue. Works fine for me. I have many planes set up the same way.

I used the include wood screws (no backing plate) on all the hinged surfaces. I reinforced them with CA glue and they have held up fine. I have about 60 some odd flights on my Velox. No problems with hinges at all.

I really like the Velox. As I venture into the gasoline era with 50cc planes I'm amazed how much flying them reminds me of flying the Velox. They fly very similar. The Velox flys much bigger than it is. That's a good thing.

thanks
Barry
Old 04-23-2007, 08:16 AM
MIXMASTER

My Velox is holding up fine too, have around 20 flights without a hitch.( except for the tail wheel, I put on a Sullivan 12-22 lb ) It is an excellent flying plane, hovers very well, the rolling harriers are beautifull, very fast & axial. You could almost imagine you have a bigger plane up there, except when the winds come up. I think I balanced mine incorrectly, I dont remember using a hook or screw on the center line, so I must have used the prop shaft which is shifted far to the right, probably why harriers are tough for me. I'm definately going to re-do it, this plane is worth getting right. I dont even understand how this bird does HA KE so well but it does. A few people this weekend even complimented the covering,I thought most would dislike the colors? It shows up well in flight.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Barry Cazier

Mixmaster...

Glad to see your flying the Velox...and your new UCD. Cool planes to say the least.

I put a Mayhem (Sig) tailwheel on mine right from the beginning. It works nice. The stock one doesn't.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-23-2007, 11:56 AM
MIXMASTER

I didnt go for the tail touch, I'm still a little "crash weary" , I hovered down to a foot or two at best, got it on disk and some 35-40% huckin by Scottz, he was just inches off the deck. I hope to get it compressed down to Wmv. file for our club web site. Another guy Dave, who is just getting into 3-D at our field blew us away with a giant size Hots(80" wing), only weighs 9 lbs. He was doing rolling loops, square loops on the deck, some 3-D, some fun-fly stuff. Then he did a climb & glide, must have done a dozen loops and then came down to the deck(dead stick) and went up again and pretty far from the field & did some outside loops before coming back to the field for an "elevator" style landing. Pretty impressive flying. 3-D is not the only game in town! I heard that a giant Do will be at our field soon, I'm going to have to watch that! I wonder if I'll get a shot at it??!!-- N O T!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:36 PM
ABORH

I have a pumped OS 120FS and a Saito 150 for this plane. Which is the better choice? I have seen the OS 120AX, YS110FS, even Saito 125FS used on this forum. I really do not need yet another engine. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Barry Cazier

ABORH...

I'd go with the Saito 150. About the same power as the mighty 110 and only a few ounces heavier. The nose weight will help also. Try a 16x6 APC prop and I think you'll love the plane.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM
MIXMASTER

My Saito 1.50's (3 of them) all turned in the low- mid 9,000's with APC 17X6. Should be real good thrust to weight in the Velox,probably will weigh just over 9lbs I would guess.(I used 20% Nitro). I found out that I can correct the elevator mismatch by bending & hitting the top covering with heat gun. Must be when covering at the factory, they are warping some of them. I will report on the harrier situation once I get out again.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Did anyone have issues with the hinges supplied with the plane? I have some pinned hinges but have never had problems with the CA ones and was wondering if any had issues.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM
FLYMIKE

I just gota call from my local hobby shop and they said that this plane is no longer in production. I placed the order on the 9th and just hearing back. Has anyone just ordered one and from where? This sucks! They said they couldnt find it anywhere.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:26 PM
FLYMIKE

[:@]
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Barry Cazier

You might try directly from www.maxairrc.com or you might try OMP. They sell the Velox.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Barry Cazier

I just checked the Maxair website states they have them in stock.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 AM
MIXMASTER

I hope they keep them in production, I have a knack for buying planes that go "belly up". Its a shame, some of them are good ones too. Must be tough out there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.