Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:47 PM
whaturi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

i only got 5 flights on that big one when i did the filming. it needs a bunch of trim work and stronger servos. the cap video and the fusion videos are the ones i am most proud of.

i am not comparing myself to kyle at all. i am just saying we can all do it with practice. i've only been at this for about a year and a half and i got this far because i had people like kyle and the domiguez brothers to show me jsut how badass this stuff can get.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:48 PM
whaturi

but in order to get this far in a year and a half, i practice my ass off. seriosuly. i MUST fly every day. on the sim or for real.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:23 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

thanks for the link to the vids bubbagates, i will download them now, i know his funtana vid was pretty cool on that thread a while back, i especially like when doing a rolling harrier, he would reverse the roll, then back, like 2 or 3 rolls then switch, it was like the plane was dancing, he a natural, some guys may never get there even with alot of pratice, i see it at my club, some have it to start with...anyway, i like to see vids like that whomever is doing the flying...it gets me trying new things as well
Old 12-29-2006, 05:50 PM
diamondave

good vids, i like the yak one best myself, but i am a big yak fan, even though i have an extra only now, i lost the yak to a bad switch, anyway, you can see the difference in smoothness like you said, he's got the "feel", but i know lots of others do too, if i made a vid would someone post it for me?? show you what a novice looks like, who knows, maybe one of you can give me pointers from watching me fly, i wish i had some good 3d pilots in my club to watch and learn from, there is only a few of us doing that type of stuff, and not to toot my horn but i am one of the better ones doing it, our club is mostly older guys with scale warbirds and things like that, which is very cool dont get me wrong, but i think i could progress alot quicker in 3d if i had someone to fly with like that...i could even make a sim vid i suppose showing my stick movements, trying certain manuvers, then email it to someone and grade me, tell me what to do and watch for to gain knowledge...
Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not the one to judge your 3D skills but several on here can really give you a hand better than I can. I'll host the video for you. PM me when you have the video and we'll work it out.

You could also use http://www.rcuvideos.com. It's free. All you have to do is create an account since the one here on RCU does not transfer over
Old 12-30-2006, 09:22 AM
diamondave

thanks, maybe i will try and make one this weekend, not sure yet, i know i can use youtube as well, i forgot about that
Old 12-30-2006, 10:22 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaturi

but in order to get this far in a year and a half, i practice my ass off. seriosuly. i MUST fly every day. on the sim or for real.
whaturi, Dude you are kick butt and SHOULD be very proud of your hard work![8D] There are only a handful of guys in the world that can fly as well as you do and probably only a handful of that handful that progressed as quickly as you did.. I failed to mention the Cap video,, it was really good too. You are a heck of a lot better than I am for sure,, but I dont fall into that handful,, and at 39 years old probably never will. But I will give it heck trying you can bet on that.

diamonddave,
get you a video camera and take some video.. Windows Movie Maker works just fine to get the video edited and into a useable format. Then just post it on RCU videos.. Its free and easy to do!
Old 12-30-2006, 02:30 PM
whaturi

mike, thanks a lot. i'm really giving all my efforts to this hobby. i came from skateboarding for 10 years and trying very hard at that.. as soon as a quit that, the airplanes kind of came along and i try as hard as i can without ruining my life.. haha.

my skateboarding friends think the whole flying thing is retarded. oh well, im not going back!

(EDIT) also, the cap video was filmed when i still freaked out whe nthe rollers went right by me. i have pretty much fixed that glitch.. i remember we talked about htat before.. you have to almost close your eyes and hope for the best on that one. the sim really got me through that. now i'm working on them to the right.. not just left.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whaturi is very lucky in the fact he has a great girlfriend that supports his hobby/addiction. About the only thing she complains about is when he gets a little too low and "out of hand as she calls it" doing things a bit too fast which tends to get too wild followed by having to fix the plane. But in his defense, he's really good at repairs.

The Yak is my old Aerotech that I absolutely hated. I just gave it to him to get it out of my face which was his first GS plane. It had more than a few issues right from the factory. He stripped it, fixed it, recovered it and flew the snot out of it. The Cap was another one I gave him. I had flown it with the Fuji 43 and during a blender it deadsticked and I landed off field breaking the front clean off like I took a saw to it. After looking closely at it there was little to no glue on it. I took pics, sent them to GP and they sent me a whole new plane so I gave it to wahturi.

He then proceeded to stuff an MVVS58 in it and if you ever wanted to see a plane powered by gas that truely had foamy power that was it. I gave him a ZM prop 23x12 to try. I saw him hover it and plant the throttle and it was a rocket coming out and that is not an exaggeration. The problem was it was to much torque for the plane so he bought my OS160 from me and that is what he used in that video.

BTW, that video one him a prize (which is the Fusion in the other two videos) on another forums video contest.

I met him about 6 months ago while he was hovering a Funtana40 which in itself is a feat since that was one very hard plane to hover. He has improved so much in that amount of time.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Jerry C
My Feedback: (6)

What simulator are you guys using?
Jerry
Old 12-30-2006, 08:51 PM
whaturi

g3.5 on a 9303 transmitter
Old 12-30-2006, 09:53 PM
theo63

whaturi,man nice flying by the way,can i ask you what plane you really used to train with,not sim training plane but one you actually fly lol thanks and keep it up
Old 12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
whaturi

theo63, thanks man. i didnt get a sim until after i learned the basics. i learned most of the 3d stuff on a funtana 40. i learned harrier rolls pretty well on my showtime.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 PM
MikeEast

I fly Ikarus Aero Fly Pro Deluxe, but I have just about decided that you cant go wrong with G3 or AFPD.. Both are excellent.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:48 AM
diamondave

i may try and make a vid today. here is a pic someone took of me hovering, cant tell squat from that, but its a start and some other pics he took, the close up one made our newsletter last month, he thought it looked like a full scale plane going by, kinda does...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98858.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	587285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61833.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	587286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48837.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	587287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97381.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	587288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82476.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	587289  
Old 12-31-2006, 09:50 AM
diamondave

sorry for the doubles, i thought it didnt take them the 1st time, so i redid it, whoops
Old 12-31-2006, 06:43 PM
diamondave

well i didnt make a vid today, maybe tomorrow, but this is an older vid of my ef yak(68) with an os160, my one and only vid so far, not the best flying or taping, but its my 1st, by no means shows my flying skills, i have improved alot since this one, but i set up a new account on the rcvids site, so i tried it out...

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....8fd8aaddc1f159
Old 12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
MikeEast

cool! You gotta start somewhere.. Looked like a nice inverted spin!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
diamondave

yeh that was one of the 1st moves i got down pretty good, sucks the vid isnt too clear during that, but i guess you got the idea...will try and get a better quality vid with my extra, both flying and video clarity....
Old 12-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Super_Dave

Thanks for all of the how to videos . I'm just getting into planes now and I decided to get into 3D with a Mini Ultra Stick. I've been flying micro 3D helis for a while so touchy controls wont take long for me to get used to. I've had park flyers before this... the best one being park zones P-51 Mustang and I couldn't wait to make this step up.

By the way what simulator were the first vids on? Was it the G3? I have the G2 and its nothing like that one.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:29 AM
MikeEast

Hi Dave,
No I made those videos on Aero Fly Pro Deluxe made by Ikarus... But Real Flight G3 is great too. Either one will work very wll as a training tool for 3D!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Super_Dave

Thanks Mike. The G2 is terrible it seems (non of them are true 3D planes so that could be the problem). I've changed quite a few things on the space walker because it seemed to be the best plane on there for 3D and if you pull to much elevator it will just snap into a roll. From watching what real 3D planes are doing that just doesn't seem right or do you guys have some kind of secret?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:37 AM
diamondave

i forgot to say thank you, thanks mike

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

cool! You gotta start somewhere.. Looked like a nice inverted spin!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 AM
MikeEast

Well, for 3D G2 just is not going to get it.. If my memory serves me there is an Extra that is red, blus and yellow in G2 that is the closest thing you ca get to a 3D plane.

You really need to invest in a good up to date sim, but they do require a faster computer. A up to date 2GHz Pentium or AMD processor, 1 GB of Ram and a good Open GL Video card like the NVidia 5600, ATI 9600 or better is what you will need. Obviously there are a LOT better cards out there than those now, but I would say they are the minimum. You can get Aerofly Pro Deluxe or G3 for around $200. It will save you an incredible amount of time in learning and $1000's of dollars in crashes.

The secret to 3D is have a plane that is designed to fly 3D. There are tons of 3D airplane choice out there now in several different styles and sizes, just depends on what you want.

The Space Walker is not one of them though.. Its just not built for purpose.. Its too heavy, the control surfaces are too small and its too stable and its probably under powered.

You need a plane like an Extra, Edge, Yak, Katana, Sukhoi. Or what would be even better to start is a 3D funfly type planelike a U CAN DO, Sig Mayhem or a Profile 3D plane. A Little more advanced would be the Fliton Inspire, Funtana, Showtime, the new GP Reactor (cool plane though), those are planes with a thin wing that 3D great but they are really slippery and you have to be a little more advanced to fly 3D with them.. The Profiles also fly great and are tough as nails.. Companies like OMP, Swanys (MOJO series) and a few others make some GREAT 3D profile planes.

What you do not want for 3D is a Space Walker, 4 Star, any trainer, Cub (but I have seen it done), Somethin Extra', those sorts of planes are not really made for 3D.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Super_Dave

Yeah I figured the space walker wasn't exactly made for 3D but I did a lot of mods in the sim and got it going pretty good actually. Dropped the weight from about 6 pounds to only 2 pounds, took the diaphram (forgot how to spell it) out of the wing and messed with the CG a little bit. It still wont hold a hover but overall its been doing pretty good. I also maxed out the throws on rudder, elevator, and the alerons . I could actually do a lot of the things the first video vids in this thread show. I got it to flatspin a few times but only by luck.

I did just buy a real 3D plane yesterday that I'm just about finished setting up. I got the Eflite Mini Ultra Stick and it looks pretty good. Had a friend of mine help me set it up and we had to fix a slight twist on the horizontal tail but its just about ready to go. I went overkill with the motor and put the Eflite 480, 910kv motor on it and a 11x7 prop. I know someone who put this setup on his edge 540 and got over 40in/oz of thrust off of it so this should pull me out of trouble pretty quick ... or get me into it. I've been flying micro helis (MX400) so the touchy controls shouldn't bother me but I'm still going to be cautious and keep the rates a little low on its first flight. I'll be using the same 3 cell thunder-power lipo for the ulta stick that I have in my heli as well.

As for the simulator this comp should handle any of them no problem. Pentium (R) 2.80GHz and 1GB of ram. I forgot what video card I have in it but it handles Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and Half-Life 2 pretty easy which is very hard on video cards. I'm gunna look into that aero fly pro deluxe that you mentioned the videos look great. I'm not sure if I want to drop $200 for a G3 though I will get a discount for working at a hobby shop. I know it will come in handy but not sure if its $200 worth. I got my G2 cheap off of a friend who didn't need it anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.