Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Ian.W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

hey, just dowloaded the 74" instructuon manual, i reconise that picture on the bottom of page 23

Old 10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
tkosier

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I admit I was a bit puzzled by the picture (why measure down the side and transfer around the corner when I can measure more accurately from the top of the Firewall). I was pretty certain that the thrust line should line up, hence my question. Fortunately my mount allows me to slide it around before I drill any mounting holes so I'm not even counting this as "do-over".
Thanks again!!

PS, while I'm at it, where is everyone (glow engines) placing their receiver batteries ( I know it varies with engine - but an approximation would be useful)?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:32 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

That's the BME 330L.

When did you get it? I've been waiting for mine and got a note from Herve that they will only start shipping on Monday...
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
winde

yarom,
we are nearer to the factory thus, its we have advantages such as this?
anyway , good stuffs in store for you from BME,soon.
i like the accesories its really superb quality.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80644.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	540739  
Old 10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
andyjayh

Anyone got one of these built yet with a YS140 up front? Really interested to know AUW and performance with this combo.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 10-20-2006, 02:57 AM
marc 540
My Feedback: (6)

winde,
could you post some closeup pics of your Extra on the BME extra thread in the giant scale forum please? Is the canopy/hatch assembly all one piece or is the canopy glued onto the hatch? Thanks much!!

Marc 540[8D]
Old 10-21-2006, 04:44 PM
ed42d-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Sold a plane at my LHS. So as I stopped in to pickup the cash, guess what caught my eye. Yup, they had two of these babies for sale. To make a long story short, I left with one of them. Everything looks as described in this thread...great. I plan on using my OS 160 with a bisson pitts. Got the fuse sitting on my dining room table. Unfortunately this looks like a winter project. Tomorrow suppose to be a high of 43 degrees and it's only October.[]
Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Pretty quiet here.Wish that EF would post their video on the site!?
Still contemplating of getting one.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:33 AM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

[link=http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/media.html]http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/media.html[/link]

nitro wing,

Maybe I don't understand but, if you follow the above link there are videos there. If you like the plane you should order it because they will sell them all and not do a second production. If I follow how Extreme Flight is doing business they come up with an good idea for a plane and produce it and sell all they have made before other companies have a chance to copy them and take a piece of the market they created. By the time every Tom, Dick and Harry have a plane like it they've moved on to something else and you can't get the original that started the whole craze only cheap imitations. I can't afford to buy the completer parts at this time but I think I'll buy one and put it in storage until I can before they are all gone.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I don't think there has been video put together yet of the 74" Yak... CHris has been really busy with getting the next offerings on their way.

Actually Chris may very well bring more of these if they prove (or should I say WHEN they prove) to be in demand... In the past prior manufacturers has caused him to change factories... not once...but TWICE.

This is the reason the 68" and 87" never made 2nd shipments. Now he has his eggs in more than one basket allowing him to have multiple models underway at once.

Still, if there are to be new models in production, it may delay 2nd shipments of his planes... and those that snooze... well... you know...

Chris is overseas now visiting the factories, and hopefully he will have some REALLY exciting news when he returns. Nothing that will change someone's mind about buying this aircraft... so no need to "wait and see".

There have been a vid or two posted on this thread (I think) of e-versions... But I have NO qualms that this 74" will fly like the 63" and 87"... how could it not?

There will be a review coming from (Fly RC I think) of the 74" Yak powered with a Brilleli 40, and once I get settled in my new place... I'll be either doing the O.S. 1.60 or might get the Brilleli 40 as well... I also considered trying out the new ZDZ 40F3A, but it's not been released yet... 2.4 lbs bare engine I believe. That should put it at under 50oz all up with muffler and ignition.

Propspinner... the Brilleli is very affordable at $335 with muffler... not too much more $$$ than the 1.60 with pitts muffler. You should be able to be within 8 oz at take off (the Brilleli being about 8 oz heavier with 12 oz fuel than the OS 1.60 with fuel)... and that's not bad.

No goo on your plane, and $2.50 a gallon fuel... You can fly the "snot" out of it, without getting snot on your plane... tee hee.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:41 AM
nitro wing

PropSpinner
No video of the Yak on their site.
I got an OS 160 to go into it,but now I am leaning towards of getting a 35% gasser,so I have not opened my wallet.This would make a nice daily flier though...
Old 10-28-2006, 07:52 PM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

PropSpinner
No video of the Yak on their site.
I got an OS 160 to go into it,but now I am leaning towards of getting a 35% gasser,so I have not opened my wallet.This would make a nice daily flier though...
I know.[] Dave corrected me. Maybe I shouldn't make post at 6:30 in the morning.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:58 AM
ed42d-RCU

Too cold to fly, so I started hinging the surfaces, mounted the landing and tail gear. As I was trying to decide on glow or gas, I took out the fuel tank to look it over. It's 16 oz, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it will fit in the bay in front of the wing tube. There is no room to slide it down into the bay. Anybody having this problem?

Name:	Ki18240.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	550441  
Old 10-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Maudib

Shouldn't it angle in, nose first, sliding into the engine box then backwards into position?

Or maybe turn it on it's side and do the above.. twisiting it back into position when inside the fuse.

Also don't forget that if you go gas, the manual says to replace the clunk line...
Old 10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
ed42d-RCU

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Shouldn't it angle in, nose first, sliding into the engine box then backwards into position?

Or maybe turn it on it's side and do the above.. twisiting it back into position when inside the fuse.

Also don't forget that if you go gas, the manual says to replace the clunk line...
Tried every way to angle it in...nose first ...backend first...there's no way I can angle it in. The tank is 2.5 inches square. The opening in front and back former is 2.25.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 AM
bri neasham

I had the same problem with the fuel tank not fitting, i just cut the cross piece off the top of the second former back in the fus, you could then glue it back in after the tank is in but i didn't bother as it doesn't seem to affect the strength at all.

Also i thought the tank floor was i bit high so i cut it loose and glued it in about 3/4 inch lower,
centre line of the tank is now inline with the spraybar of the motor.

Regards

Brian
Old 10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
ed42d-RCU

Brian, thanks for the feedback. It does look like the former in the back would have to be cut and replaced. The tank has a 1/4 inch notch across the back of the tank maybe it fits under the former after the cut piece is replaced.

Another thing concerns the pull-pull wires. They give you two precut wires. The crimps are large enough to loop through them again, but the length of the wire appears to be only long enough to make one loop through the crimps (as shown on page 20 of the manual). Will this hold if I crimp and put a drop of CA? I had a similar issue with the length of the supplied wire on another ARF. I don't understand why they can't supply an extra 6 inches of wire.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Picked up one of these late last week and started the build this weekend. Make sure you reinforce the canopy w/ silicone/epoxy/something. It is built extremely lightweight and was practically coming apart right out of the box therefore could stand some beefing up. Thrilled with everything else I've seen thus far. I will probably use all of the included hardware because it is first rate stuff.
I'm done w/ the wings, and stab/rudder assembly. Picking up a Saito 180GK that's been on order today, and could realistically fly this coming Sunday. Hope to be the first in the USA with a positive flight report posted here.

Name:	Wu61603.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	551259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14379.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	551260  
Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Maudib

Yeah the canopy frame is made from balsa and it wouldn't hurt to make gussetts to place over each joint. Man I really wanna get started on mine...

You may or may not be the first US report... but it WILL be a good one... a really good one... I have no doubt.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:57 PM
callen

I don't understand why they can't supply an extra 6 inches of wire.

Amen to that. I did however loop it through twice with what they gave but had to really work at it.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 PM
callen

ORIGINAL: icrashbipes

Picked up one of these late last week and started the build this weekend. Make sure you reinforce the canopy w/ silicone/epoxy/something. It is built extremely lightweight and was practically coming apart right out of the box therefore could stand some beefing up. Thrilled with everything else I've seen thus far. I will probably use all of the included hardware because it is first rate stuff.
I'm done w/ the wings, and stab/rudder assembly. Picking up a Saito 180GK that's been on order today, and could realistically fly this coming Sunday. Hope to be the first in the USA with a positive flight report posted here.

Jackson Tn I was born in Corinth and have many realitives in Jackson. There is also another build thread on RC with some good flying shots. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+flight+74+yak
Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: callen

Jackson Tn I was born in Corinth and have many realitives in Jackson. There is also another build thread on RC with some good flying shots. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+flight+74+yak

[/quote]

Picked up the 180 today, will mount Tuesday. I lived in Clearwater a short while then did several years in Destin but TN is my home. Good flying down in FL, I miss it a lot. Good thread on the yak @ rcgroups, mostly electric set ups though. I've tried an electric set up and 2000 dollars later I decided to sell my stuff off. gas n glow for me, can't substitute the sound and realiability.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
callen

ORIGINAL: icrashbipes

ORIGINAL: callen

Picked up the 180 today, will mount Tuesday. I lived in Clearwater a short while then did several years in Destin but TN is my home. Good flying down in FL, I miss it a lot. Good thread on the yak @ rcgroups, mostly electric set ups though. I've tried an electric set up and 2000 dollars later I decided to sell my stuff off. gas n glow for me, can't substitute the sound and realiability.
[/quote]

Sound is good especially for the scale warbirds. However today more and more are getting run away form their flying fields because of the noise. I belong to three clubs. One is Sarasota Silent Flyers here in Parrish Fl. We limit to 50 members and all have our assigned personal frequency. Down at the big club SRQ Sarasota RC Squadron its a mixture of noise and us electric guys. This club is on the top of an old garbage dump and really a wonderful flying site. 500 x100 paved runway with all the works. Jets and all. I like the mixture. Got back into this hobby when I retired and just went electric. Used to fly Fox engines when I was a kid in Corinth off of Roscoe Turner Feild in Corinth. Do you have a good club in Jackson? Good luck with you plane.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:53 PM
sukhoi26mx

ORIGINAL: Maudib

There will be a review coming from (Fly RC I think) of the 74" Yak powered with a Brilleli 40, and once I get settled in my new place... I'll be either doing the O.S. 1.60 or might get the Brilleli 40 as well... I also considered trying out the new ZDZ 40F3A, but it's not been released yet... 2.4 lbs bare engine I believe. That should put it at under 50oz all up with muffler and ignition.

Propspinner... the Brilleli is very affordable at $335 with muffler... not too much more $$$ than the 1.60 with pitts muffler. You should be able to be within 8 oz at take off (the Brilleli being about 8 oz heavier with 12 oz fuel than the OS 1.60 with fuel)... and that's not bad.

No goo on your plane, and $2.50 a gallon fuel... You can fly the "snot" out of it, without getting snot on your plane... tee hee.
Hi David,

I'm doing the review for FlyRC with the Brillelli 40GT. Just finished it up today, and I couldnt' be happier with the results. Haven't had a chance to maiden it yet, but expect it will fly very light. Here are the specs:

Brillelli 40GT, stock muffler, ignition, and standoffs
4x Hitec 5625's
1x Hitec 5985 (rudder)
Futaba PCM rx (probably end up running the DX7 and AR7000, though)
(2) 1500 Lithium packs
Smart-Fly Standard regulator
Smart-Fly Ignition reg
Smart-Fly Optical Ignition
12 oz. fuel tank (versus stock)
Dubro Gas filling valve
Menz 20x7-S prop
3.25" Dave Brown spinner (4.5 oz)

The weight came in at 11 lbs 14 oz, which I think is really light. The only thing I did to reduce weight was eliminate all switches. The canopy is so easy to get on and off that I simply use Deans plugs between the batts and the ignition and receiver to unplug between flights. The ignition is switched optically through the Optical Ignition, so no need for a switch there. This is made possible by the simple canopy attachment method.

I too couldn't figure how to get the tank in without cutting structure, and since I was going gas, I decided to replace the tank with a smaller one No need to carry around more than 15 minutes with the way I fly.

For those looking to go really light, you could also lose the wheel pants (blasphemy!) and spinner. That would take another 1/2 pound off the weight right there. Not sure where else you could, or would really want to lighten the Yak. Really no need from my perspective.

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with the entire build. No maiden until the photo guy can be there for the review shots... but hopefully that will be in the next week or so.

Scott
Old 11-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Ian.W

it will fly VERY light at that weight. and dont get rid of the pants, they do improve flight performance believe it or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.