Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Engine for Funtana X50

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Engine for Funtana X50

Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Funtana X50

No "Mr. Hoffa" this time....Yo Jimmy....I never said I didn't LIKE flying 3D. You said the label from Horizon says 3D. So? Does that mean that with your robotic attitude you have to say "BZZZT! FUNTANA 50 DETECTED....BZZZT MUST ALLOW TRANSISTORIZED BRAIN FUNCTION TO FLY 3D". Ever seen a Sig Cadet with a tuned pipe on it and the wing clipped and it was a Trainer? I have. So Mr. "Pied piper lead me to the 3D emporium" there ya go. And by the way, I don't own a Silverado that gets 20 MPG...I own a Dodge that gets 16...and I don't know if it's "RAM TOUGH"....Never hit one.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

We have really gotten off topic here and you have turned this thread into one about your personal preferences. Now that we've gone thru all of that, let's try to offer others helpful information about engine selection in the Funtana. For example, if you prefer a 2C, please state why it is your engine of choice instead of just stating that it's better. This is an open forum and others may not care to hear an off topic debate. Please send me a PM if you wish to continue making posts like the one above.

IMHO, I like a 4C engine in the Funtana because it will enable the use of a large prop that not only moves more air over the control surfaces, but also provides braking on downlines. I also appreciate more torque at lower rpm's than a 2C. This is a personal reason, but I like the sound of a 4C. Others may not and that's OK. The 4C engines are also more fuel efficient.

A 2C engine does cost less and as was previously pointed out, has no valves to adjust.

I'm sorry to other's for the off topic posts in this thread.
Phillip
Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 AM

Thanks Phillip. The reason I bought the Funtana 50 in the first place is I like the overall appearence of the airplane. Again, flying it with a Super Tiger 45 with an 11X5 prop. I still haven't tried the SFG's on it, however with this setup knife edge AND knife edged loops (you read correctly, re blink and read it again..your eyes didn't stutter) were perfect. In regards to being tail heavy. Not the least. I'm using a 6V. 2500 NiMh receiver battery, battery right at the leading edge of the wing, receiver right behind the throttle servo and absolutely NO weight added to the nose whatsoever. Again, my choice was NOT to fly this particular plane as a 3D plane, more sport aerobatics, and absolutely no dissappointments on that aspect. I'd compare the flight charecteristics on this level of flying to the Great Planes EXTRA 300. Not a Yak 55 or Sukhoi as I feel those planes are a tad more aggresive. The Funtana 50X I can well see would cover a LOT bases depending on what a pilots priorities are in an airplane. On one final note about "Labels". I have a little 3 Channell trainer (why did i buy a trainer and I already fly?) and yes on the box it says "TRAINER" BUT it's a little electric, and I fly mine about 4 feet above the ground at 1/4 throttle and let my Jack Russell chase it. And no...Don't call the SPCA. I have a friend that is with that orginazation and they laughed like hell when they say her chasing the plane!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

9757 You should try the SFG's and post what you think about them. I personally don't care for them. I think they hurt the 3D capability on the 50X. Since you are flying more IMAC style with yours I would like to hear what you think about them. Maybe we should start a new F50X post talking about the SFGs. Or a SFG post. I have some stick time on a Showtime. The SFGs effect it differently.

David
Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Ralph L.

I have a question on topic. My plane is nearly complete all I need to do is set up my aileron linkage and I am ready to balance it. The thing I need to know now is where is the best spot to balance this plane for its first flights. These people give you almost an inch to play with 5 1/16 to 5 11/16 ok not a whole inch but close. But I just want to get some feed back from some who has flown this plane and where the best place is to start. So if it dead sticks or what have you I can get it in safely. Thanks again for all the info guys.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

Ralph L,
Go with a forward CG for the maiden. The pitch sensitivity will be reduced and make landing easier.

Here's a thread about a Rossi 2C that should work well on a Funtana:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46...tm.htm#4682080

Phillip
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 PM

Ralph, on the dead stick part I just finished flying mine and purposely dead sticked it in to check out it's capabilities. No real problems, just keep the airspeed up, and if you have to land a little hot, no problem. Just flair inches from the ground. Watch tip stalling though. On it's maiden flight I 'set up' for a landing at "2 mistakes high" and did noticed that any up elevator abruptly or too much did make one wing want to stall slightly.

Dave, on the SFG's I haven't tried them yet however I tried a half throttle knife edge with it, and was very amazed at how well it held is't attitude. You're watching the airplane more than your fingers but I didnt' notice any abrupt pitching in or away. I did however attempt this maneuver with the elevator on low rate, and as I said, perfect. (And I thought this was just a 3D plane Jimmy Boy....and I read the label. Horizon must have ran out of ink on their label)
Old 12-31-2006, 08:08 PM
daveopam

9757, I have not tried a KE loop with mine. It will however knife edge at 1/2 power all day long. It is at a very high AOL. Almost like a harrier style KE. I only run a 4" pitch prop. Maybe with a higher pitch on the prop it would do a normal knife edge? It could also be a CG thing. Your CG is more than likely tamer than mine. I can slide my battery pack back and forth but fly at 6" most of the time.

David
Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ralph L.

I have a question on topic. My plane is nearly complete all I need to do is set up my aileron linkage and I am ready to balance it. The thing I need to know now is where is the best spot to balance this plane for its first flights. These people give you almost an inch to play with 5 1/16 to 5 11/16 ok not a whole inch but close. But I just want to get some feed back from some who has flown this plane and where the best place is to start. So if it dead sticks or what have you I can get it in safely. Thanks again for all the info guys.
I recomend the farthest foward cg for starters. Don't even mess with the rearward cg, the plane flies horrible. I tried it the other day and almost crashed. I got in the air and she started bucking like a bronco, landed her fine but the only thing the plane wanted to do was fly up. LOL.

As for engine recomendations
A minumim of a 80 4-stoker and a 60 2-stroker. I got a pumped 90 2 stroker in mine and love the power. I would not recomend anything below 18 oz or you will have to add lead to balance. At least that is what happened to me before i moved up to a 90 sized engine.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:50 PM

What size motor is on it Dave? Mine has the super tiger 45 with an APC 11X5 and at full throttle on the 31st was clocked at 78MPH. PLENTY of power. Absolutely nothing needed to balance the plane whatsoever. I still haven't put the SFG's on it yet...FLIES TOO GOOD WITHOUT THEM so why bother?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 PM

Also Dave, mine was at the factory specs for the CG. For what I'm doing with the plane, works perfect.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Cambo

Holly #$%#

78 mph with this plane. Have you expierienced any kind of flutter? That makes me feel alot better that this plane can handle that kind of speed.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:17 PM

No flutter, rock steady, no problems, Cambo.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Cambo

Sweet!
What servos are you running and how far do you have your throws set?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:05 AM

Hitec Ball Bearings for the control surfaces, non for throttle. Ailerons 1.5" inches up and down, elevator 1" up 3/4"down on low rates and I like the way it performs MUCH better in the low rate position like this vs. high with 1.5 up and 1 down. up and down, Rudder 2.5 left and right. Remeber, I'm NOT flying this planes as 3D type plane, however I was able to hover the plane VERY easily with the mentioned motor/prop setup. I had to "bump" the throttle and it was more noticeble vs a 4 stroke engine. I will add that the landing gear on this plane is VERY weak. Before first flight beefup best as possible through the holes in the bulkhead with some triagular stock or just cut out the covering under the nose up to the angled piece, put a piece of plywood over the 3 holes under the fuel tank area (epoxy!) then use some LARGE triagular stock at this bulkhead. One final thing you can do is use a piece of 1/16" plyood over this entire area including the landing gear blocks, measure to find the holes first, and bevel the edges and recover. BARELY noticeable and it will make a BIG differnence in the strenght. One slight "bump" landing you'll be making the repair anyway as well as patching two holes on the underside of the wing when the landing gear folds back and the pants punch a hole in the Ultracote...........yeah......it happened! []
Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 AM

scuse the typo's in the last post..it's late, new years, and i'm sober $!#@ it
Old 01-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Cambo

I did a couple mods to the landing gear of my one. I fiberglassed inderneath the covering and iserted 1/16 plywood support beams. You can land hard enough to bend the landing gear but wont break the mount.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:51 AM
daveopam

9757, I run a Saito 82 on 30% fuel and a Zinger pro 15x4. The pull out power is unreal but the overall speed is not much. However speed is not what i was after. I could easily run a higher pitch prop but I don't sport fly at all with this plane. I have a Sig SE a Goldberg Ult and a QQ 72" Yak. All of these are better at sport and IMAC type flying than the F50X. The F50x is my 3D plane. It does things the other planes will not come close to doing. The Yak is the best all around flier off the 4 I mentioned. It will do about anything you throw at it but not as radically as the F50x. I got a OMP Fusion from Santa. I hope it is as fun as the F50X.

David
Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 AM
angrycookieman

A 4 stroke 426 Hemi would be your best choice, 9757. Ha, beat everyone else to it!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Hey Dave don't get me wrong! I LOVE the way this Funtana Flies! The speed quote was only to show what the 45 2 stroke was capapable of. And you're right, you can do things with this plane that are unique. I like to do things like Knife edge loops, and yes people.....for those who think that I DON'T do 3D it WILL hover with the 2 stroke, but I prefer to fly it just as a "whatever I want to do at the moment" airplane, and it hasn't let me down yet...cept for that damn weak landing gear that's now fixed!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Ralph L.

Ok I will be breaking in my engine on this Friday or Saturday. Anyway I just found out this thing is 6 pounds. Is this normal for this plane I have nothing extra in this plane only what it needs (NO LEAD). Just wondering because the book is saying 4.0 to 4.5. thats not going to happen. Buy the way I have a saito 82 in it. And is their any advantage if I add the vecolity stack from the G.K. to mine will it make a difference? It only cost $7.00.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
drexxx369

hi, i just got a funtana x 50 with a saito .82. now i would like to know couple of stuff plz
1st what size of prop shold i use??
2nd what size fuel tank should i put cause i got a 11 oz with the box and that i think is like 8 minutes of flying
3rd i would like to know about HITEC. I have a JR xp6102 and i need a new flight pack, but i dont wanna buy a jr pack.
i want to get a 6 channel receiver with a Sanyo 6.0V Pack 1650mAh Nimh with HITHS475BS
Servo - HD Deluxe w/BB Univ. what you guys think of hitec.
tahnk you
Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: Ralph L.

Buy the way I have a saito 82 in it. And is their any advantage if I add the vecolity stack from the G.K. to mine will it make a difference? It only cost $7.00.
The velocity stack will direct the fuel spitback that come out of the carb back into the motor. The result is a cleaner engine bay and better fuel economy. You will be able to lean the high speed needle with the stack installed.

I think 4lbs is probably the X50's bare airframe weight, 6 lbs seems to be the normal AUW.
Phillip
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

what size of prop shold i use??
drexxx369,
Some have used a 15x4W, but it was too much prop for mine. IMHO a APC 14x4W on 30% Heli fuel is the hot setup. My theory is to use 20% for longer engine life. It provides about 500 rpm less than the 30% though.

what size fuel tank should i put cause i got a 11 oz with the box and that i think is like 8 minutes of flying
I don't know about specific tank options. I've found that after 8 minutes of flying the X50 the way it's designed to fly, I'm tired and ready for a break so I never bothered switching it out.
Phillip
Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 PM
drexxx369

HEli Fuel?? in the instruction manuel it says to use 20% oil and 10-15 % nitro for longer life time
what about the hitec, what you could tell me about it. is it trustable???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.