Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread! >

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

ORIGINAL: tarheel2

Well Mike, you were absolutely correct about Fliton. Not only is this an excellent looking plane (and quality constructed even though I had a bad batch, you cannot hide imperfections with clear covering) their customer service is very impressive to say the least. I called them, they gave me some suggestions (which did not solve my problem) and they offered me to replace both the fue and the right wing panel. I have not dealt with a manufacturer with better customer service that this. I am sure that with the quality aircraft they are carrying and this type of service fliton will become a household name in the RC community. My hat's off to Fliton!

Too bad I have to wait another week to fly it... jejeje [&o]

Thanks for all of your tips.

Excellent. I figured that they would be very fair. [8D]
Old 01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: jfetter

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

JFetter,

What's your AUW with those batteries and what kind of watts you pullin'? I have to agree that this is one sweet plane! I am bummed, however, that the weather has been too cold or windy to bother with taking this plane out lately. Nice weather comes in short windows here so I usually just grab my mini and run down behind my house and huck it before the weather gets bad again, LOL!
Bodywerks,

My flying weight is 110 oz (6.875 lbs) on the nose with an Evo 6S2P 5000 (I also swapped out the stock foam main wheels for 2.25 inch Dubro low bounce rubber plus I have the Sullivan Tailwheel with 1" rubber & metal hub). The Evo's weigh 28 oz each and I usually only put back in around 3000 MAh back in after an 8 to 9 minute flight. I can't complain about the weather down here in Miramar, Florida except perhaps the 10 - 15 MPH breeze that picks up after 10:00 AM daily. If you come out in the morning at sunrise, you'll see 75 degrees with just a a hint or air movement, nice!

Jack
That's about what I figured. Those batteries are about 8 ounces heavier tham my Max amps, but they probably hold voltage really, really well.
As for weather, the scenery may be changing for me! A couple positions within my company opened up in Tucson, where it's sunny 350 days a year!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you guys use the stock hardware and are you pleased with it after using it for a while? I just figure I might as well change it now if it isn't very good. Thanks.
Don
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Basement Troll

Did you guys use the stock hardware and are you pleased with it after using it for a while? I just figure I might as well change it now if it isn't very good. Thanks.
Don
I read this thread first and purchased a Sullivan Tailwheel and was considering other hhardware but after looking at what they include, I see nothing wrong with it at all. I used 100% stock with the exception of the wheels (rubber) and pushrods, which I simply changed to new, shiny ones (same size though) because I didn't like the ones they included (looked dirty)...

Jack
Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 AM

Thanks Jack. I decided to do about the same thing as you. I have other wheels to use and pushrods. I have lots of Dubro control horns but they are heavier and I'm trying to keep this one light.
Don
Old 01-11-2007, 03:59 AM

Hi guys, just one question.
Has anybody fitted this plane with OS70 FS? And if you did, does it have good vertical performance?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:39 PM

Tar,
If you haven't returned the parts yet you might try putting the opposite wing over on the side where you have the gap and see if the gap is different? The two wings are symetrical so you should be able to determine if the problem is the wing or the fuselage. I almost bet that the wing tube through the fuse is off by a bit. The wings would be pretty hard to make crooked like that?? All the parts are laser cut and there would have had to be a lot of misalignment during construction to have the root rib be that crooked. And the wing tube in the wing would be even more difficult to get crooked.

This is one cool airplane when you fly it. Mine will actually do the knife edge (high alpah KE) with me holding one hand in the air and only controling the throttle and rudder. I have never seen any model do that trick. Consequtive KE round loops, no problem.

Jimnie
Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the tip Jimnie, I had not thought of doing that. I still have not sent back the parts so I will try it tonight. I think the problem is the fuse, I measured the wind tube to various places on the fuse and it is off. I also tried comparing the two wings and both look perfect. The fise seems to be bowing to one side, but also is twisting. I was not able to to correct it with a heat gun unfortunately. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Good call Jimnie, I tried your suggestion last night and I can now confirm only the fuse has the problem. The gap with the left wing panel upside down measured the same than the right wing panels gap.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Great,
Well give Edson a call and tell him some guy named Jim helped with the problem! He might hang up on you so maybe not.
Jimnie
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Mine is getting there. I need to install the canopy and the receiver/battery and balance the plane. I also need to break the engine in. I has been a nice build so far. I think my only hassle was with the wood dowel for the elevator. Mine was warped rather badly. I soaked it with water and bent it back the other way over night and it turned out fine. If this thing flies as good as it looks it should be great. This might be one of those planes that I buy a second one to have around in case I whack the first one.[8D]
Don
Old 01-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Well.... It's done! It looks the same as the rest on this thread. YS 63s, 5 HS5475's, 1 HS85MG on throttle, 1400 mah NiMH battery, no wheel pants, APC 14/4w. Weight, 5.5 lbs. I'm pleased. I hope it flies well. I snapped a few pics for luck....
Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59265.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	597900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14265.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	597901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28740.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	597902  
Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 PM
My Feedback: (6)

How did it fly????
Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 PM

how was your balance also, have to add weight anywhere?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:01 PM

I have been away for a week or so and the weather here is crap so I haven't been able to fly it yet. We've got about 6" of snow and it's going to be a high of about 20 degrees tomorrow so it might have to wait a while yet. I balanced the plane at the back of the recommended range, 6", and did that by putting the battery at the back of the compartment. I could still move the pack a bit farther back if it seems necessary but I thought I better try it first. The plane went together very well. I hardly looked at the instructions as I had already read this entire thread. (Thanks Mike!)
Don
Old 01-27-2007, 10:02 PM

OK, let us know when you get to fly it, I am thinking about one myself and want to know how the ys works with it. I have one in a box right here and waiting on an air frame. I hope the weather works it self out and gets better.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Mike did his official review with the 63 and had no trouble with it being underpowered. He said it's a great combo. I have a Bad Boy profile that has been repaired a couple of times and weighs just over 5 pounds and the YS 63s is amazing on that. I'm sure at 5.5 lbs power won't be an issue. If your only concern is power order the plane today. I'll fly it as soon as I can find a runway that might work.
Don
Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 AM

I am finally done with my Inspire and only have balancing left to do. Mike mentiones the CG should be 5.5"-5.9", from where to where is this measurment suposed to be done? The web site also mentions 3/4" behind the wing tube but the manual points out a range in front of the wing tube. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 AM

5.5-5.9" back from the leading edge at the root.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:28 AM

C'mon Basement Troll fly that thing!!! I want to hear how you like it!!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:02 PM

I am hearing that they are shaking apart with whatever engine you put on them, because they were designed for electric power..... Any comments?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:19 PM

I have not seen nor heard 1 report from a person who has experienced anything of the sort... And it was originally designed for glow power. The test model that Fliton used was powered by a Saito 82. I think that they are offering a conversion to electric and there is some discussion about electric on their site.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:27 PM
My Feedback: (2)

It doesn't need a conversion kit to be electric, the only thing that needs to be done to fly it electric is to pick up some spacers for a motor mount, and decide where the batteries go.

Even though it's marketed as "either" electric or glow, after doing an electric conversion on it, there is no doubt that it is intended as a glow bird. The only thing that is built in that makes it easy for an electric conversion is the hatch.

I fly mine E powered, but I think it's plenty robust to hold up to wet power vibrations. It's built way more durable then a plane intended for e-power only would be.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM

ok.............anyone else with a comment?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:57 PM

Hi Mike. Sorry I've been away a bit and right now it has been windy and cold here for about 3 weeks straight. 8" of snow and 20 mile an hour winds at 20 degrees just doesn't seem like the right time to maiden an Inspire. I do occasionally hand launch a profile and harrier it in when it's cold like this but I would like to maiden this plane on a good day. I guess I'm just a wimp.[&:]
Don

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.