Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Hovering and torque rolling >

Hovering and torque rolling

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hovering and torque rolling

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hovering and torque rolling

Hey guys, question for ya. I can hover my funtanas like a champ AS LONG AS the top of the plane is facing me. As soon and it turns, everything gets backward and i lose it everytime. I have practiced in the air and on RealFlight G3 and cannot just seem to get it! Any one have any tips or secrets on how to overcome this Wall??? Thanks Dave
Old 03-03-2007, 11:38 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Hovering and torque rolling

to get the plane correct seeing the bottom use the rudder and push up the low wing like we teach a beginner with the alierons for the wings. as long as you give the correct rudder most find its a piece of cake try it on the sim and let me know your thoughts...
Old 03-03-2007, 11:57 PM

crash and burn!!! Ill keep practicing!!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 AM

Push the rudder the same way it moves, when looking at the belly.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:48 AM

ORIGINAL: daveb86

Hey guys, question for ya. I can hover my funtanas like a champ AS LONG AS the top of the plane is facing me. As soon and it turns, everything gets backward and i lose it everytime. I have practiced in the air and on RealFlight G3 and cannot just seem to get it! Any one have any tips or secrets on how to overcome this Wall??? Thanks Dave
I totally feel your pain... I have the same problem. I never lose orientation flying pattern, but once I try to torque roll, there is no chance... So you aren't alone!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 AM

I had the same problem until I started high alpha rolling circles
Old 03-04-2007, 12:55 AM

and how do you do those
Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 AM
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: daveb86

and how do you do those

I'm in the same boat. I can hover fine, but when I go to torque roll I just can't keep her from falling out.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 AM
My Feedback: (3)

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to "read" the plane. Spend time with the plane until you are comfy enough to read its little quirks that its going to do before it does it. Its sort of like being able to see which direction its going to fall before it actually falls.

On your simulator practice it low so you can get a really good reference of the plane.

Probobly the biggest problem and mistake people make outside the rudder imputs is the elevator imputs Its harder to tell if the plane is tilting in towards the canopy too much and that can get whacky down low when exiting.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Several things that helped me on Hovering/torque rolls.

1. Bring it in lower and closer, this way you can keep ahead of the model, just like Southern Touch said, you have to learn how to stay "3 steps ahead" of the model.

2. By bringing it in lower and closer it gets easier to read what the plane is going to do next. Atleast fo me anyway.

3. Belly towards you and a wing starts to dip, apply rudder in that direction.

4. Tail Heavy, fine line here, I balance mine for 3d so it flys "hands off inverted" and then I still might shift it aft a bit further.

5. Watch you elevator imputs, over correcting here and you will be chasing the plane ALL DAY.

6. RELAX. Have fun. Dont push it.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 AM
My Feedback: (15)

I think the best way is the wing tip (dropping ) method,when upright,move rudder oposite to the dropped wing,inverted,move the same way as the dropped wing. Its the same as when you first learn to fly,you have to do it until you dont have to think about it anymore,you dont have time to think about it DOD & TR fast. What made an instant and dramatical improvement for me was the article in Hangar-9 web site by Don Szczur. He states that you handle a TR like a slow roll,since I had been doing that along with 4 pointers,8-pointers, it clicked. After reading that & putting into practice,suddenly my TR's really kicked in, I mean they spin so fast at times I can barely keep up with them. I think this method really keeps the plane in that "sweet spot" longer.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 AM

HI dave

All I can say on the subject is that the longer you spend hovering canopy in, the worst the problem will get.
I learned to torque roll (and fly helis inverted) in my late forties. Not easy at that age because all the automation learned over the years is acting against you. Try to stop hovering canopy in and ONLY do torque rolls from now on.

Also, try buying a "shockie", they are great for practice and are a halfway house between a sim and an I.C model.

beat of luck

piroflip
Old 03-05-2007, 11:12 AM

I think of it as if I were flying inverted. I can hover my E-Flite Ultimate in the cul-de-sac until the battery dies, but nevertheless, I would recommend you hover up high with the belly facing you and just keep practicing on and off the sim. Like they said, RELAX. You're not there to win anything, so just relax and have fun.[8D] Practice makes perfect.

P.S. Go easy on the controls on the sim. Gentle movements always help your hover.

Stinger
Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 PM
My Feedback: (6)

When looking at the belly push the rudder stick towards the low wing. I used the sim in slow motion to overcome that obsticle.

Marc 540[8D]
Old 03-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Build a foamie........fly it till it is trashed......then repeat as needed.

Doing torque rolls and hovering with a foamie in my garage did more for my skills than anything else I tried. Just keep at it. I used the tail will move with the stick trick at first for belly in hovering. After a little while, you won't even be thinking about it.

Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM

I heard some people say try to anticipate which way the plane will fall. Well seeing that I can not look into the future that advice did nothing for me. So what I did was make it go in a direction and ever since then I been locked into TRing.

Here is something you can try that worked really well for me. As weird as it sounds doing I have no problems TR anymore.

When I see the plane start to to go sideways as in wingtip sideways facing me I nudge the rudder in a direction. Any direction really doesnt seem to matter. Say I nudge it left I know my next correction will need to be right. So with the plane already nudged to the left while its rotating wing past me and belly next I already know I need to give right rudder for correction. So from there its pretty easy cause I am only giving right corrections since I purposely made it tilt left. Just correct a littlebit, try not to go past so it falls to other side but small enough to where you can keep doing same corrections.

Not sure if this makes sense but by having it fall to one side all I have to do is bump the opposite correction the whole time. This is what worked out for me and I have it down packed now. The good thing is after a while you get used to giving the corrections. So say you bump to much correction, slowly I found myself giving correction again in other direction. I kept doing this until I had full control left and right and was able to point it where I want it.

I tried this on the sim naturally but give this a shot. Start small nudges, feed opposite corrections and keep bumping until you complete a full TR. So if you start with a left nudge you will be bumping right throughout the rest of the TR.

I know it sounds weird to purposely dip the plane to the side but by doing this you already know which way the plane will fall. Just keep practicing this until you have full control left and right and it becomes natural. It took me about a day or so on sim to get the hang of it.

I hope this made some kind of sense and works out for you.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are a few things that helped me, especailly on the sim.

Hover in really close. The closer you are the easier it is to stay ahead of the plane. As you get farther away it seems to get behind a lot faster. The key to hovering is to avoid needing to play catchup. If you get ahead of the plane and stay ahead of the plane its a whole lot easier.

When you are hovering with the belly facing you look at the tail or the lower half of the plane, just use the rudder stick to push the tail in the direction you want it to go. I guarantee you that this is the exact same thing you are doing with the nose when the canopy is facing you.

Hovering takes TONS of practice, especially belly in. It may take you months before it starts to click so be patient and just keep putting as much time on the sim and with your real planes as you possibly can.. It will come eventually if you are persistant, I promise.

Also setup is key when you are learning. You need to have lots of elevator rudder and aileron throw but you need to add a good bit of expo.. One of the things that wil kill you is OVER CORRECTING. But you need the throw to help get you out of a bind when you need it.. Lots of aileron throw is a big help when hovering and torque rolling, the more the better.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Thank for all the tips guys, the biggest problem i seem to be having is, the time it takes for me to think about the right move to make, the planes already in the ground (on the sim of course) i know ill get it but thanks again for all the tips
Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Just keep practicing, one day it will just "click" like someone through a switch. It will come.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Im flying MODE1 and practiced T rolls on the sim.Hours and hours till it eventually clicked.For MODE1,when the belly faces you your left stick tells the tail where to go.Right on the stick moves the tail right.Forward on the stick pushes the tail and backward pulls it.When the canopy faces you everything is reversed.There is no special trick here just practice.After 8 or 9 days of practicing I still couldnt torque roll then I just gave up for a week.Came back and adjusted the sim speed so everything moves slow motion and after about 30mins I could do it.Now it so easy I cant think why I struggled with it.By the way I used FMS(8.5) with a CAP222 Torque roll plane.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Wow, I cant thank you all of you enough for making this thread. I have the same problem as the original poster and I have been struggling with it for weeks. Today after all of the pointers in this thread for some reason it all just came to me.

Today I went on G3 and changed my pilots’ position to the middle of the airstrip maybe 100ft directly in front of the plane. And I just practiced hovering from this angle for a good hour. And now I think I have it, my transitions are a little sloppy but this is really going to help me.

Setting up your flight sim like I did may be a helpful way practice this issue. When I crash and restart I don’t have any other option but bringing the plane into a hover facing the belly. And from this angle it’s easy to move the plane past the pilot to practice transitions.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 PM

One thing I didn't see mentioned (might have missed it) is being confident in a harrier from all possible angles. If you can do this, you will learn the rudder inputs very well. Try flying straight out away from yourself in a nice harrier. Slowly turn around and bring it straight back in a good high alpha harrier. Do this a number of times and get good and comfortable.

Then start increasing the nose up attitude of the plane until you are almost into a hover. After you have done this for a while try to just "pop" it up while doing the high alpha belly in harrier. Hold it there and drop down into a harrier again.

For giggles go around and do a regular hover; when it starts to turn on you, you'll be surprised how much input memory you have learned by doing those drills.

Another way would be when it starts to turn, push it around with aileron until the belly is away from you again where you are comfortable. This way won't force you to learn the proper inputs though and you still need to be comfortable with a harrier as a "Bailout" move. If you can harrier confidently both upright and inverted, then you should be able to get out of most any hover or Torque Roll situation..........assuming you still have power!

Hope that helps!

J.