Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Peakmodel Extra 260 25% >

Peakmodel Extra 260 25%

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Peakmodel Extra 260 25%

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peakmodel Extra 260 25%

well i got my motor mounted last night and tried to fire it up and the spe 40 almost started but only just popped a few times,bummer,im going to try a starter and see if that helps
Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like most people are ahead of me on the build [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

As far as CG a good friend who has been aero modeling for many years suggested I put one of the battery packs just behind the rudder! We measured up and it means cutting the covering out under the tail to get to it but it is right behind and under the rudder. We reckon it will balance out perfectly after taping it on and doing a small balancing act.

I am plumbing up the fuel tank (2 line) and fitting a fuel dot to side of the fuse just behind the cowl. Now, all I need is for those darn servos to show from tower

It will be fingers crossed on those first few flips of the prop [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I drilled 2 small holes in the muffler down pipe closer to the end to eliminate the "barking" that gas engines make.

This was suggest by a few people who even do this on their Desert Aircraft engines. Its not a performance mod but more about noise.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 PM

theo63

How does your cg come out with the 40cc. I have a FPE 2.4 which I thought of using.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: RoysterDW

As far as CG a good friend who has been aero modeling for many years suggested I put one of the battery packs just behind the rudder! We measured up and it means cutting the covering out under the tail to get to it but it is right behind and under the rudder. We reckon it will balance out perfectly after taping it on and doing a small balancing act.

I am plumbing up the fuel tank (2 line) and fitting a fuel dot to side of the fuse just behind the cowl. Now, all I need is for those darn servos to show from tower

It will be fingers crossed on those first few flips of the prop [sm=confused_smile.gif]

Royster- after some trial and error & totally reconnecting everything the spe finally came to life!!!! Turns out the ignition is fine the operator needs a re-boot I'll tell you this; this thing is gonna be BALLISTIC!!! I've run the motor maybe 10 mins total and while holding it it pulls so hard that my wife couldn't take it after about 3 run ups!! The ign set up is pretty particular so be careful where u put the small pick up on the output shaft. All i'm waiting for now is rcvr's so that I can maiden this bad boy. If it doesn't hover at 1/2 stick i'll be SUPER surprised.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: fredstyle

Royster- after some trial and error & totally reconnecting everything the spe finally came to life!!!! Turns out the ignition is fine the operator needs a re-boot I'll tell you this; this thing is gonna be BALLISTIC!!! I've run the motor maybe 10 mins total and while holding it it pulls so hard that my wife couldn't take it after about 3 run ups!! The ign set up is pretty particular so be careful where u put the small pick up on the output shaft. All i'm waiting for now is rcvr's so that I can maiden this bad boy. If it doesn't hover at 1/2 stick i'll be SUPER surprised.

Yahoooo!!

Sounds great man [8D] Cant wait to start mine for the first time!

Can you clarify what you were saying about the pick up? I just screwed it on with the longer bit hanging over the shaft or do I need to do more?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 AM

fred,can you explain more about your problems with starting,i tried for over a hour to get mine to fire it burbed a few times but that was it
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM

G'day royster where do u fly in brisbane? I fly at P.R.A.M.S .i've been thinking about one of these but dont know weather to go for the 26cc or 40cc.this will be my frirst gasser,what do you think.By the way what was the quaility and delivery like.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:58 AM

rightflyer,i have not got to that point on the cg,i am putting my battery pack as far back as i can reach,ill let you know when i get there
Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM

So as far as starting, when you get the prop make sure when you drill it be sure that when it's the hardest to turn ( the compression stroke) it sits at about the 1 o'clock position. Then attach the pick up from the ign to the hub. The best way to check is take out the plug, see when the piston is at the very top then your good. Close the choke, open the throttle open wide flip it until it "pops" or tries to catch. Open the choke bring the throttle back to about 1/3 then flip again should start in a couple tries. If nothing happens then see if you've got spark, and that fuel is flowing to the carb. This way worked for me but i'm sure there's more than one way to this procedure . I forgot to mention throttle trim have it set at about 1/2 way so that when the stick is down and trim is down it'll quit. I hope that helps

Old 08-22-2007, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: bjnginge

G'day royster where do u fly in brisbane? I fly at P.R.A.M.S .i've been thinking about one of these but dont know weather to go for the 26cc or 40cc.this will be my frirst gasser,what do you think.By the way what was the quaility and delivery like.

bjnginge - We fly (my son and I) at TMAC but are assc. members at Suncoast at Coolum as well.

Well there are times I wish I got the 26cc (because of mods and weight) but ran it past a friend who is a pro flyer for JR and he said the last thing you want is an under powered aircraft, especially if it will 3D.

Also he noticed the G26 gas engine was heavier than the SPE40 so thats why we went for the 40cc. Reports so far from others who fly it say its fantastic. As far as CG, if you do it right without adding a truckload of lead it will be fine.

If your looking at buying an engine I would consider Sheng Pings (guy who designed the SPE motors) new MT-42 42cc motor instead. More improved, more power and lighter than the SPE40. Although I believe the SPE40 has been around for over 3yrs so its kinda proven and people know its issues and how to resolve them. In the end it is a simple motor, its not some EFI, double overhead cam monster to get working.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:39 AM

Hey guys, can I get a round up of what props you are using?

I was going to get a 18x10 for run-in and general sport flying but am told a 20x10 is best for this combo.

As for brands I was going to pick-up a Zinger but was told they suck (by one guy only) but they way I look at it is they are a name brand and its all I can get my hands on until I can afford an expensive carbon prop.

The other brand thats never let me down is APC with both my glow and electric planes.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 AM

royster how is the quality of the extra,also how was the delivery?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 AM

royster how is the quality of the extra,also how was the delivery?

Its very good and the delivery was perfect. They said 5 days and arrived in a huge box in 5 days. Not a bit of covering was out.

Mind you they didnt tell me the SPE40 wouldnt fit the stand offs supplied but then again its supposed to have a SPE26 mounted.

Will let you know if it was worth it when it takes to the sky

So far so good, but be warned when you go gas ya gotta spend more on servos, props etc.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Banned

The other brand thats never let me down is APC with both my glow and electric planes.
If you want to 3D then forget all about APC props for these engines. Once you get over about 16 inches, APC props are just *too* heavy for a good spool-up.

You'll want a good wooden prop for several reasons:

1. They spool up real quick
2. They're cheap (well "affordable")
3. When you crash, the prop will break and absorb a lot of energy that might otherwise cause more damage to your plane or engine.

I loved the Volk props that Peak used to sell but now they've switched to Hawk which (IMHO) aren't as good -- being thicker in section and not so well formed.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:21 AM

ORIGINAL: XJet

If you want to 3D then forget all about APC props for these engines. Once you get over about 16 inches, APC props are just *too* heavy for a good spool-up.

3. When you crash, the prop will break and absorb a lot of energy that might otherwise cause more damage to your plane or engine.

I loved the Volk props that Peak used to sell but now they've switched to Hawk which (IMHO) aren't as good -- being thicker in section and not so well formed.

Too late I bought a APC 18x10. The APC is fine for run in. The only other choice was a wood Zinger.

Bare in mind this just to run the motor in and I will then be buying a Mejzlik 20x10. Also I wont be doin' any 3D with this prop whilist the engine is being run-in.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:11 AM

that the peak makes a bit better power is this true?im a bit confused about which engine to go for the SPE 26 or the PEAK 26. does anybody know the difference and which is better.i head somewhere
Old 08-25-2007, 05:34 AM

that the peak makes a bit better power is this true?im a bit confused about which engine to go for the SPE 26 or the PEAK 26. does anybody know the difference and which is better.i head somewhere

Yeah I wasnt sure but I judge by the amount of hits on a Google search and SPE won by a long shot, not to mention the SPE gets advertised in Model Airplane News. So it was an easy choice for me.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 AM

i think ill go for the 40cc it isnt that much more weight,hopefully cg wont be a prob.besides more power is always a good thing
Old 08-25-2007, 06:14 AM

i think ill go for the 40cc it isnt that much more weight,hopefully cg wont be a prob.besides more power is always a good thing
Yup, thats what I did. Bare in mind the G26 26cc engine is heavier than the SPE40.

Have a look at Peaks videos. The yellow Extra has the 40cc and the blue Extra has the 26cc.

You can see the 40cc punches out of hover with more authority than the 26.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 AM

My Peak 26cc on an APC 18x6w did around 7700 rpm, My Peak 26cc + standoffs + Ignition + Exhaust + 1050nimh 4.8v ignition battery all weighed in at exactly 1495 grams, which is quite heavy! an ASP 180fs weighs around 1000 gramms, so thats a 500g saving and 1000 rpm more on the same prop, a YS 140 is lighter and even more power. So, im opting now for the ASP 180
Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: XJet

Too late I bought a APC 18x10. The APC is fine for run in. The only other choice was a wood Zinger.

Bare in mind this just to run the motor in and I will then be buying a Mejzlik 20x10. Also I wont be doin' any 3D with this prop whilist the engine is being run-in.

Roy,
Pls dont waste your money on a 20x10 prop, because the undercarriage of this Extra 260 model is too low and the 20x10 will definitely hit the ground.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:04 PM

OK, which props are you using?

Anyone know where I can buy Xoar online?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: stew007

My Peak 26cc on an APC 18x6w did around 7700 rpm, My Peak 26cc + standoffs + Ignition + Exhaust + 1050nimh 4.8v ignition battery all weighed in at exactly 1495 grams, which is quite heavy! an ASP 180fs weighs around 1000 gramms, so thats a 500g saving and 1000 rpm more on the same prop, a YS 140 is lighter and even more power. So, im opting now for the ASP 180
The only thing to watch with the ASP 180 is the vibration -- man those things *shake*.

A friend has one in a 1/4 scale piper-cub and despite using an anti-vibration mount, it's quite painful to hold when he revs it up. Yes, the prop and everything is balanced but it still shakes like the devil. It's probably not so much the vibration of the reciprocating mass as the torque pulses that come from a 30cc cylinder firing once every two revolutions.

Given how lightly built these Extras are, I'd be looking at doing some reinforcing around the firewall if I were fitting an ASP 180 and certainly running the engine in on the bench so you can lean the needles a little (reduces vibration somewhat) before flying it.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick question for those with already flying this model. Did you use the CA hinges supplied or did you change them out for a different style hinge?

Also I am curious is anyone flying theirs on a 23cc two stroke? I didnt want to go down the pathway of a gasser engine for this particular model as I have a 50cc yak which I am building as well. So I intend on using a Super Tigre G2300, I am curious as to others opinions on this ?

Cheers,

Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.