Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight Extra 58"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extreme Flight Extra 58"

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
badfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Extra 58"

both planes fly very well. Flinton however is a terrible build. had to make your own hatch hold down. has no servo cut-outs in the rear for elevators. no holes for rudder cables to go through. wing screws located in an impossible location to use. overall quality not even close to EF. and I'm NOT an EF groupie. If your on a budget it might be worth looking into. there's plenty of info on the fliton.

steve.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 PM
sdstick06

Thanks badfish.... I am going to stay with my plan and get the EF.... everytime I try to save money I just have to buy twice. I am convinced the EF is the absolute nicest airframe of it's size on the market.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

So did you get it yet? Did you get a good deal on it?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM
sdstick06

Me?.... Mine should get here early this week. I called Chris at Extreme Flight and ordered it... he has been a freind of mine for a long time... way before he opened his Extreme Flight. It was around $280 with the glow kit and shipping. Quite a deal for such a nice airframe! Can't wait to get it and get started on it. It is going to be super windy this week... I am in middle TN. So it will be a good time to get on it. I took my Funtana X 50 out today... it was nice here.. had a GREAT time!!!!

SDS
Old 03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
sdstick06

Oh how I love the big brown truck!!!

UPS man just gave me my Extra... it is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to Chris Hinson for a spectacular piece of work!!!

SDS

Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Michaelh

Nice! We probably wont hear back from you for a bit now
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
sdstick06

I got everything out of the box today and had a close look.... this thing is truly amazing... I could not be more pleased with it.

Michaelh.... tell me again the 225's are fine.... I am kinda wanting to go with 5245's

Also am still trying to decide if it is getting 1 or 2 elevator servos

Anybody want to buy my PilotX pilot figure... dashboard.... cockpit floor????
Old 03-18-2008, 06:31 PM
sdstick06

Hey guys,
Do you think I can get this thing to balance with one servo in the rear??.... using the Saito 82
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Michaelh

Hey if you want to go with the Digi's then go for it,but the 225's will be fine. Chris will even tell you

I got mine to balance with one in the rear .Im also using a lightweight Turbo Header that helps.But have to make a battery tray behind the rudder servo.
Balances with a 2cell 1200mah Etec lipo and Castle 10amp regulator about 3oz overall.Can go to a smaller pack if I wanted to also to rid of a couple grams.

Im using the .82 also [8D] with a JR ds 285 for throttle mounted up front on the box.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 PM
sdstick06

Sounds great Michaelh.... thanks for all that 225's it is then

What are you using for a rudder servo?

Chris did tell me 225's would be fine.... I just tend to over engineer the nice ones

I am going to look into that power setup.... sounds sweet!!

Is the Castle regulator as good as the Smartfly?

SDS
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Michaelh

Im not sure, never seen the smartfly. All I know is its tiny compared to the Duralite. and about an ounce lighter.

Thats if your counting grams . The 1100mah A123 packs are a good choice also. But if you happen to have some smaller Lipo packs laying around they will be just a touch lighter ,cheaper also.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 PM
sdstick06

I was in to high performance electric sailplanes last year... sold all my electric stuff.... shoulda kept some of it. I think I will just stay with my Spectrum pack for now. Looks like the 2 formers behind the rudder servo location present a good place for a battery tray... I will know more when I get into the build.

Thanks!
SDS
Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Michaelh

Well looks like this is the time of year were its nice when your at work then turns to pooh on the weekends [:@]
Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
sdstick06

I am still raking up parts for mine.... got a deal on some HS-5245MG's and a Hs-6635HB for the rudder

I am going into the RC graphics design biz and will have some really cool stuff available soon.... here is a sample of the cowl top Saito 82 logo....

What do ya think????

SDS

PS: WINDY is the word here in Middle Tennessee!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51343.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	915025  
Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Michaelh

Ill take one in black with transparent background [8D]
Old 03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
sdstick06

Uh huh... ya like it don't ya!! LOL

I am in the design and set up stage right now... but.... they will be available soon.... I will let you know.

I will also have alot of other products I have and am and will develop

I have just finished developing wingtips for the Funtanas that look great and make it fly MUCH better... not anything like the UGLY SFG's

Also working on a solution to clean the aircraft after a day at the field.... that WORKS

MUCH more grooooooovey stuff to come that will make everybodies RC experience much sweeter

The graphics part will be cool because I will offer custom designed graphics for any size or type of aircraft.... at a very reasonable cost

Stay tooned... don't change that channel!!!

We now return you to the 58" Extreme Flight Extra discussion already in progress

more later,
SDS
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Michaelh

Cool! I think some big Saito stickers to go on the turtle decking or elsewhere on planes would do good also. I can not find any ,anyway.

Maybe that will be a big hit in the Saito club forum?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 PM
sdstick06

Michaelh...

I will be able to design and make anything you want very very soon...

Here is my right side turtle deck graphic....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56300.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	915342  
Old 03-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Michaelh

Nice! I have not gotten into the spektrums yet. Maybe next tax refund Ill convert my radio and setups over. ooooohhh or the tax relief coming up ohhh yeah
Old 03-30-2008, 12:05 AM
sdstick06

Get a DX7... you will love it!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 PM
jwk72

I'm new to this thread and figured I'd find some good info here. I picked up my extra last week on an "impulse purchase" while looking for a battery for my heli and can't wait to finish it and get her up. This is by far the lightest (build) plane I have owned and don't want to break anything. I've got a Saito 82 Golden Knight I'm planning on using and have had several guys from my club who have owned the Fliton tell me the .82 is borderline too big and likely to break the front end at some point. Chris at Extreme Flight recommended this as one of the better engines to use so I assume it's ok. Anyone have any experience one way or the other??? Also, what needs to be done to get this bird to balance if i want to use a pull-pull setup (or is it overkill)?

BTW- sdstick06, nice work, but you might want to be careful if you are planning on selling those. You are very close to entering into copy write infringement. I know someone who got into some trouble for something similar once and it cost him a lot of money in fines. As far as I know, if they are free it is no problem but if you are selling them... well, lets just assume I bet they have pretty good lawyers[:@] [:@][:@].

-Jay K.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Michaelh

Jay,
I have run up the .82a on mine with a 14x6 and 15x6. I have not heard from the UK forums of the engine breaking the front end off.

Its a smooth running engine and yes the plane does feal like its lifting off the ground while Im doing WOT tach readings, I have faith in Chris, Mike Hall and the others.

One thing is to make sure everything on the front end is glued well. Yes the engine does vibrate compared to the electric but really the power is about the same and they are

not using ply up front like we are.

The CG really depends on what type of battery you are using. If you are using the stock header and muffler and what size your throttle servo is going to be and located.

PilotX helps also but adds additonal weight.

I am getting my battery tray finished up tonight. I have the 1200mah 2s Etec back to the turtle deck with the CC BEC The Berg 7P is in front of that.

I will take some pics when its finished up and tidy.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 AM
jwk72

As of right now, I'm planning on using a Pitts style muffler from Slimline and inverting the Saito. I ran this setup in a Yak once and worked well. I'm one of those guys who really hates to cut up the cowl any more that needed. After a quick "eyeball measurement" it looks like the 82a will fit inverted with either no or very little cutting except for the muffler. As for a battery pack, I usually use a standard 6v JR or MPI pack. Any ideas how that will affect CG? Also, how much does the rudder servo really change the CG and do you think there is really going to be a performance difference with location?

Thanks for the info, I'll try to get some pics this week.

-Jay
Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 AM
sdstick06

jwk72......

You are correct about the copyright issue..... ya just can't go selling other comapnies logos...

Permission must be granted and useage rights paid for

After that is done and I create a new design..... I copyright the new design and that protects people from stealing my design and selling it.

SDS
Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Michaelh

Yeah Jay, A friend was going to go with one of the slimlines he has it on the shelf now ( no Offense) , It does weight a bit more then the stock and much more then the Turbo Header Im using. The weight just wasnt going to work out with it and have a good CG range.

You may then run into some issues . Would be better if you set yours up like Badfish or go with the dual elevators.

I would spend that money from that extra servo and get the Turbo Header. It weights like 1.4 ounces or so , really light. Great sound! +200 more rpm's

I know you probably dont want to give up the Pitts though But just check to see were your CG is going to be .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.