Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

FAST 3d plane

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

FAST 3d plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Recty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST 3d plane

Hey all.

I've got a Twist .60 from Hangar 9, but my problem is it just doesnt go fast enough. My friend flies a fast plane and when we compare mine is like a bus and his is like a Ferrari.

Anyway, I'd like a plane that can definitely do 3D easily but can move very fast through the air if that is what I am trying to do.

I've got a OS FX .91 well broken in, so I'd like a plane that fits this engine and hopefully an ARF, I'm really not in the mood to build a kit with summer fast approaching.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:54 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FAST 3d plane

most 3d fun fly planes arent very fast, they have a nice thick airfoil which slows them down. Plus they have very large control surfaces which can flutter at high speeds and ruin your aircraft

what kind of plane does he have
Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 AM
aussiesteve

You can get something like a Seagull Edge 540 . At the same time get a couple of different propellors - a fine pitch (such as an APC 16/4W) for 3d'ing and a coarser one for speed (APC 15/6 or coarser).

Set up different throws - one set for 3d and one set for "speed" and change the prop when you want to do each discipline.

Such a plane will do most of the 3d maneuvers with the fine pitch prop.

DO NOT try to 3d at speed or fly the plane at speed with the 3d throws. For the spectators, It doesn't mater if you do - it will give them some entertainment when you go out to collect the pieces but for your pocket, it might hurt you.

Most people have one plane for speed and another for 3d'ing, as MetallicaJunkie said, they are generally quite different planes.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 AM
OK2Fly

When setup properly, a 3D plane can go fast, but again, it is not the best thing. I had a Seagull Harrier 90 with an Evolution 100 that would handle full throttle runs, but I could tell that the plane didn't like it too much. Use servos that have a high torque rating, and give them good mechanical advantage. Make sure the linkages have no slop, and make sure they DON'T FLEX. Use beefy hardware, don't skimp in this area. Also, make sure the servo's aren't sloppy cause then, you can't go fast. Use reduced throws and different props like aussiesteve said.

Your Twist won't go fast, the airfoil is too thick. Pick a plane with a thinner wing. But I gotta say, a 3D plane that can go fast is pretty cool. Hearing the 16x4W prop-rip on the Harrier while doing a high speed pass isn't something you see everyday. Also, the plane would give plenty of warning when I oversped. I would hear a WOH-WOH-WOH-WOH-WOH sound and I sould slow down. I never pushed it to the BUZZZZ-Z-Z-Z-zzz [BOOM]. That's too fast. The peanut gallery thinks I'm insane.

Oh yea, if you crap out money, get Bill Hempel's 50% Edge 540. It's fast, and, according to Bill, it can handle full throttle downlines. There's cool videos here:
http://billhempel.com/newsite/pages/videos.html
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Recty

Yeah, I'm just trying to avoid having to haul 2 seperate planes to the field. My buddy and I go in the same truck and we really only have room for one plane each.

My .91 OS will spin a 16x6 very well, that's what I'm using right now on my Twist, and I've used a 15x8 on it too, but that was a little too fast for the Twist, I felt like the wings were going to rip right off.

Yep, I've got two seperate airplanes saved on my transmitter, both are for operating the same plane but one simply increases the throws and expo for a 3D type of flying.

My biggest problem is I fly up here in Alaska and pretty much the only planes I ever see are mine and my buddies. I'm just not sure what is out there, so I'm hoping you guys can recommend to me a plane that will do 3D and will also fly fast. It doesnt have to be the world's best 3D plane, a good mix of 3D capable but also speedy is what I'm going for. It needs to be something not like the twist, the twist just has way too large of wings to ever be a fast plane.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Recty

Or maybe I'm asking the question wrong.

What is a good fast plane that is also capable of doing some stunts? I dont need something that only flies at mach1, I'd like to have something that will slow down a little bit for nice easy landings and just cruising around, but also be able to handle high speed dives and WOT passes.

It doesnt have to be able to hang on the prop, do harriers, that type of thing, but I would like it to be at least somewhat acrobatic, able to roll and flip well and hopefully knife edge.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Recty:

Speed and 3d are generally not compatable, with either the airframe or engine wanting in each application, WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS. I do fly a streemlined Q-500 type 4.75 lb. airplane that will do well over 150, but it is powered by the only engine I know of capable of low idle, great transtion and wopping rpms in the area of 19K, a Jett 60LX. Its a 60 in a 40 case, simply a wonderful engine. I have two, trying to justify one more. Oh yes, the airplane will come screaming in from a drive, almost wall, climb for 20-30' catch it with power and hover, torque roll, elevator all nice and solid. You might get 110 or so with a OS or TT, but never pull a 8.75 X 8.5 apc to high rpm, idle and hover, just not enough power or quality there. Quality, yes, I expect my Jetts to outlive me by a bunch. Worth $450.00, you bettcha. One now 6 years old spends summer racing, the winters 3D-n. Still very tight on top and outruns all but other Jetts. ENJOY
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
OK2Fly

There you go, get a racer.[&:]
Old 03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Recty

Eh, I dont want a racer, I want something that is a good mix of both.

Anyone know if the Hangar 9 Sundowner can do decent 3D? I know it looks nice and fast, but I've been reading people can harrier it...
Old 03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
OK2Fly

I was kidding 'bout the racer. the Sundowner truly is built for speed. It will be okay at aerobatics, but 3D will be a challenge, as the control surfaces are relatively small, and I doubt they will have much authority during stalled flight.

If you really want a mix of both, pick a sturdy 3D plane and overbuild it. I am guessing that a lack of counterbalances on the elevators and rudder will be a good thing, so look for that. What size plane are you looking for?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

I think Great Planes tried to address this very desire a few years ago: The Ultra Sport "Plus"

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCZR8&P=7

The original Ultrasport series (esp the 40 size) is a sexy rocket compared to most sport planes. Although I've never seen the "plus" version fly, I would assume it doesn't do 3D all that well judging from it's wing planform and power loading, however it appears to be an attempt at a "jack of all trades." The non 3D version is an excellent intermediate pattern/aerobatics machine being smooth and fast with good KE capability, yet great handlling on landing and in snaps/spins.

It could be what you're looking for. You will have to build it though as none of the Ultra Sports are offered as ARFs anymore.

If you don't want to build, I'd say go get yourself a Funtana 50 size and try to get it as light as you can with good component selection and pay extra money for lightweight digital mini-servos. Digitals hold centers better which ward off flutter. If you take care to have slop-free connections, seal the hinges you can prop the plane for fairly fast speed and you will have a foot in both worlds. Depending on your motor selection, the prop pitch can go as high as 10" or so to get the speed you want, but realize it may not slow down at idle for landing The Jett and Rossi Motors are among the best for this versatility as they have super high RPM capability yet low idle capability at the same time. Although you can get a 4 stroke to go fast with a high pitch prop, I think you may be happier with a screaming 2 stroke, as the high pitch gives the extra impression of fast speed (an illusion, but one you may enjoy).

You know what they say about design and compromise.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM
nitro wing

The Extra 300 is fast and agile,all you got to do is find one that is suitable for your engine and is a quality airframe that is not heavy.Extras can 3D well,but also can run a few quick laps.There arent many out there in that size,that have bigger controls for slow 3D,you wil really need to search around.
You will probably have to make your own linkages and use top end servos to take the punishment.
The Fliton Extra is a good example,but is a bit small for a 90 2 stroker.Whats your elevation?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
nitro wing

Fliton has the Inspire 90,I would not do many full throttle passes,but I bet its much faster than the Twist.
The Showtime is also alot faster and is 3D capable.
The showtime 90 has had some unhappy owners,it requires patience in set up and fair bit of experience to fly well,but it maybe what you are looking for.I would say the 90 is just enough for it,while others say the 120 2 stroke is borderline,I've only seen them with 4 strokes.But this hybrid Pattern/3D shape is what you are looking for.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 PM
wind junkie

Good point Nitro, I forgot about the showtime. It will snap out of a turn a lot easier than the Funtana, but it is faster and flys pattern better.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Recty

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

The Extra 300 is fast and agile,all you got to do is find one that is suitable for your engine and is a quality airframe that is not heavy.Extras can 3D well,but also can run a few quick laps.There arent many out there in that size,that have bigger controls for slow 3D,you wil really need to search around.
You will probably have to make your own linkages and use top end servos to take the punishment.
The Fliton Extra is a good example,but is a bit small for a 90 2 stroker.Whats your elevation?
I'm at about 300 ft above sea level here...

I'll check out the Extra and the Showtime, I've heard of the Extra but never the Showtime, it will give me a little something to research.

And for those who didnt see it, I'm hoping to put my well broken in OS FX .91 in it, something around a 13x9 prop will probably be used.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Recty

Hmmm, the Showtime does look good, however, I can find no testimony and no videos about WOT dives and max speed passes... I'm just looking for a plane that can handle that, if the Showtime can then it would indeed be a good mix.

I dont want to go 100 mph out of a dive and pull up only to have the wings rip off.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM
nitro wing

You'll have to limit your expectations.get a great planes little Toni if you want to rip up the skies and still have some aerobatic capabilties
Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Spacey

You guys are all messing around here! Prop jobs doing 3D and high speed? Heck no! Maybe a giant scale bird will still kick his buddy's plane's butt when it comes to reasonable forward speed but at the end of the day he's going to break the bank when he finally loses it to a flutter.

There's only one type of plane that'll safely fullfill his needs. He should check with Seba if he won't sell him his big Mig-29 or was that a SU-27 with the thrust vectoring. LOL

Edit: Think I got the specifik model messed up..haha
Old 03-27-2008, 03:09 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Recty, you still in Homer? I get down there quite a bit in the summer and would love to fly. If you are up in this neck of the woods let me know and we'll hit one of the fields up here.
JAY
Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Recty

ORIGINAL: AKFireMedic

Hey Recty, you still in Homer? I get down there quite a bit in the summer and would love to fly. If you are up in this neck of the woods let me know and we'll hit one of the fields up here.
JAY
Actually I live in Anchorage now, my wife and I moved up here about a year ago. I havent gotten a lot of flying in up here, it was a lot harder to find places to fly than down in Homer.

We go out to South Birchwood and fly normally, seems like the best spot to go so far.

You know of some good spots around Anchorage? I'd love to hear them.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Recty

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

You'll have to limit your expectations.get a great planes little Toni if you want to rip up the skies and still have some aerobatic capabilties
Wow, the seems like an ugly plane. I'm sure it does what I want, I read some reviews and watched some videos, but ick, I wish it looked better.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I'll PM you my number. Give me a call and we'll get together.