RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Lanier Yak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3488870-lanier-yak.html)

maxun 12-27-2006 11:41 PM

RE: Lanier Yak

lanierrc.com is the web site I just went there and the special is out, and they have a note in which they say will be close from 22 dec to jan 2. sorry you miss it[&o]

mga 12-27-2006 11:47 PM

Lou, did they not have a 87" Yak 54. Have they discontinued it. Thanks, bob

kochj 12-28-2006 11:06 AM

hEY mga,
Would you recomend a biplane if you don't have one(being you have had a few of them) or get this yak?
The biplane I though about it the GP 1.60 ultimate...
Any input about biplanes would be nice.. thanks
Justin

Maudib 12-28-2006 11:15 AM

Consider the Double Vision if you are into 3D... and blowout priced: $389

mga 12-28-2006 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are in to 3D ok for the Ultimate, but me for Biplanes is more the look and the scale effect. So the Waco by Kangke and the Super Stearman by GP are great planes and relaxing to fly. They are both very easy to land. I personnaly find the Ultimate smallish looking for the same size of motor. both my bipes have the 40cc and power to spare.
plus the sound of a gasser is just beautiful and more scale. Re the Yak, I have not flown it yet, but I can tell you if you want a great plane it is the Wild Hare 540T, price and quality are just great. I have over 400 some flights on mine and it is a steady flyer, with no mods. so it weighs about 18 to 19lbs. as I said before I like to fly even if the winds are up to 25mph. back to the Yak by Lanier, I found the quality very good for the price. Plus with the long tail moment, I think it is one of the pretiest Yaks out there. I saw one fly this summer with a DA 50 and it flew just beautiful, the pilot was very happy with it. I wont be flying it till the spring, so I can't tell you my opinion on the flying part till then. And in a few minutes heading out with my Super Stearman with skis to do some flying. We finally have snow here in Montreal. Scary weather.
Just my opinion.

iflywhenican 12-28-2006 12:01 PM

kochj
I have BOTH the GP Ultimate and the Lanier Yak 54. You may PM me for info on either if you like.

kochj 12-28-2006 04:56 PM

The ultimate is the same size as you Wako and Sterman? I thought it was a bigger plane than that? I want to buy my planes from tower hobbies as I am a good old boy and they have always taken care of me... HMMM... That new wild hare edge 540t2 looks nice.... suppost to be lighter than you original no? It is the second edtion now? And room for canester? Nice! Problem is that this would cost an aditional 90$ than the yak would be delivered to my door? The yak is also a bigger plane!
Justin

mga 12-28-2006 05:40 PM

That is what I am saying. The Ultimate is for a 50cc I think. the Waco is for a 40cc. the Super Stearman is for a 150 Saito 4 stroke. Re the Yak, you have no room for the canisters, unless you want to make big mods. I think the Edge by Wild Hare is the way to go, if you are going to have canisters. Re looks, cant beat the Yak by lanier. I have the Edge by Wild hare the older one, and it flies just great.

kochj 12-28-2006 07:26 PM

MGA
Yes, I meant the wildhare plane had can pots cut out already for you... The yak would be very difficult and time consuming... something I don't have a lot of... time that is... I think I will go for the yak. I think that the bi-planes (the larger ones) are very time consuming to put together at the field.... I like bi-planes but I think that I would get more use out of a 1-winged plane..... I have put in over a 1,000 hours of flying in and just put in 2-hours tonight. But these hours are on the computer sim....:D It's been to cold to fly in MN the past few days...

mga 12-28-2006 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with you re the Biplanes re the setting up. Luckily today was cold but sunny. so was not too bad, but it takes me about 15 minutes to set up with all those little screws. And the Stearman is better than the Waco for setting up. I put in 4 flights today. So the Yak would most probably be a better plane also. I can't wait for spring to fly her. This shot of the Stearman was taken today just when the sun was going behind the trees. My flash came on.

maxun 12-29-2006 12:25 AM

I got the bme, lanier, kmp, QQ and only one bipe, the Ultimate 1.6, I do fly hard 3D (so they don't last long)[&o].
the lanier so far for what I seem is the biggest and heavies, BME is light and big with canisters bay's, all this planes required a 50CC for 3D,
the yak 54 is a super airplane, no matter who make it if you are a good rc builder and pilot, the ultimate is a different animal everyone like the ultimate, the way the fly and perform, and the doble vision is a big bipe and like maudib say is on sale, and is beautiful, but not scale to anything so will not draw much attention in the field until is in the air, we have 3 in our field, but flys super and 3D is great,but one's againg depends on the pilot. We had a aerowork ultimate in the 100CC area and this was a super plane.
For price and hardware investment the ultimate GP is my choise, for size and fly performace the BME Yak (light) but don't toch it too much (will crunch). Lanier Yak 54 airplane heavy, hardware sucks, and mods to be made, but for me is the most beutiful and big of all for me and fly super nice.
OOOOHHHH so many choices and so little money.[&o]

matus777 12-31-2006 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: mga

Lou, did they not have a 87" Yak 54. Have they discontinued it. Thanks, bob

Bob Extreme Flight is releasing a new Yak (50cc)....perhaps Maudid can shed some light on this for us?

Lou

Maudib 12-31-2006 01:25 PM

Yep... a true 88" wing Yak, 17 lbs with a DA50 & tuned pipe (meaning about 16.5 with stock muffler)... Bigger than the original 87" (which ended up about 85.5")... not just in span but overall a bigger presence.

We'll be sharing pics SOON... But it's SWEET!

mga 12-31-2006 03:26 PM

I hope that it has a nice long tail moment like the Lanier, gives it smoother flying and a prettier look.

kochj 01-01-2007 09:11 AM

You have put in a tuned pipe on the BME yak? I looked it up and it does look light. "Tooth picks and pick up sticks" It is the wave of the future! I guess it's how you drop weight and get the wings with 1400 squares, and they fly great.
I ordered up the Lanier Yak 54 yesterday.. It was the last day of the large discount of 50$ from a 499$ and above total, at Tower Hobbies. I am excited , but I don't want to have my wife find out I have a nother plane!!!! It would cause a big disruption [:o][:-] If I don't store the plane at my Father's house she may find it and look for divorce papers! (no joke)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Yep... a true 88" wing Yak, 17 lbs with a DA50 & tuned pipe (meaning about 16.5 with stock muffler)... Bigger than the original 87" (which ended up about 85.5")... not just in span but overall a bigger presence.

We'll be sharing pics SOON... But it's SWEET!

kochj 01-01-2007 09:17 AM

For Sale:
seagulls superstar.
NIB only opened to inspect plane. Need funds for current build
Inspection revield a very nice plane with a huge cowl! No flaws in covering as they use oracote (hangar 9) for covering the plane.

115$
Plane cost me 99$ sale a Horrizon Hobby. I have to get the 18$ shipping back out of it that is way the extra 15$
PM me if interested!

kochj 01-06-2007 10:53 AM

Anyone built the laneir with a 70-80cc engine? How has it worked?
Someone said that They had one with a zdz 80... Thought it needed more power? Have you tried dif props? These are powerfull engines..

mga 01-06-2007 11:21 AM

Go to post 860, lots of info that I gave. I have not flown the plane yet, but know the 70cc will have enough power.

Langster 01-06-2007 04:52 PM

Hi kochj,

I have 67 flights now on my Lanier Yak with a ZDZ 80 RV. There is plenty of power with a 25x10 Bolly prop. Hovering at 1/3 throttle (linear curve on TX) and the plane is a pleasure to fly with HS-5955's all round. I used forgues research custom standoffs to install the 80 and the carby protrudes slightly through the firewall.

The roll coupling on knife-edge is the only thing that bothers me a bit when flying the Yak.
I have not done any sig mods apart from lightening the canopy and have not strengthened the landing gear plate as recommended by others. No problems so far with the landing gear and the cg was perfect with the ZDZ 80 installation.

However, I did wear out the robart hinges on the rudder and have replaced with 2x the number of robarts to make sure (the pin holes enlarged and the rudder became loose). My flying style is virtually continuous rolling so there is sig opportunity for wear on the rudder hinges.

Many people complement the appearance of the plane, which does look pretty sharp on the ground, and in the air.

I hope all this helps.

Lang

pcsol 01-06-2007 05:27 PM

Great to hear your getting a lot of time on the Yak Lang !
As a testament to the construction of this bird I stopped counting flight's somewhere around one hundred - hundred and ten ..
No fatigue showing anywhere and the covering is still mint.
The season has come to a close here in the northeast and I'll be breaking it down to rebuild the servo's, re-glue a couple of hinges, test the batteries on the bench, etc. I am confident that I will get another entire season out of it if I don’t bury it :D
(watch that gear plate [:@])

iflywhenican 01-06-2007 08:19 PM

(watch that gear plate )

INDEED!!!![sm=omg_smile.gif]

Langster 01-07-2007 05:45 PM

Yes I decided to modify the gear plate only if broken due to the fact that the aircraft is already quite heavy and I did not want to add extra weight with extra reinforcing. What may be helping the gear plate in my Yak is that I did not cut into the plate area to shift my tank back under the wing tube to the CG, so perhaps this makes the gear plate more robust?

Also, there are bound to be individual differences when the Lanier Yak ARF's were being built at the factory so perhaps I was lucky enough to have a stronger gear plate construction with more glue etc, who knows?

Lang

iflywhenican 01-07-2007 06:15 PM

I didn't do any mods to the plate at all on my Yak and it gave way under a normal landing, but it was on a grass runway which is a little uneven. If I were you, I would do something to strengthen it BEFORE you have any problems. Believe me, it makes an ugly mess and is not very easy to repair when it gives way.

mga 01-07-2007 07:53 PM

Are you guys talking the cross brace or the flat part that the landing grear is bolted to.

pcsol 01-08-2007 11:25 AM

mga,
The flat plate.
Its a composite of three very brittle light ply sheets (at least in my case). See post # 751.[:'(]
They were only tack glued in places and not laminated (again in my case).
Between that and the lightening holes any strong torsion action on the gear may blow it out. I had a flame out from a low level harrier (about three feet) which did mine in. Broke the plate before bending the gear [:'(]