RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Peakmodel Extra 260 25% (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/5612600-peakmodel-extra-260-25%25.html)

bill33 06-13-2007 01:52 PM

RE: Peakmodel Extra 260 25%

Mine is ready to fly, probably sunday if wheather is OK

Halogen 06-13-2007 03:12 PM

Mine flew fine but did not do any particular stuff with it just trimmed it and studied it. Landings come in too fast. Im on a Xoar 18 x 6 wooden prop. I should put idle down a bit more i think but it will rock the whole plane

Rocketman_ 06-13-2007 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Halogen

... I have managed to solve the engine mount problems and managed also to just miss fuselage with the header by using an aluminum spacer between head and header.
Mine is a different plane but with the same engine with a pipe that runs to close to the fuselage. The original coupler didn't last very long before it burned through and burned a hole in the engine box and burned a Velcro strap inside.
So, keep an eye on yours or just listen to it because it will get loud when it burns through.
The pictures show the damage and and the reflective aluminum tape that I used to cover the repaired area. I bought the tape at Home depot.

XJet 06-13-2007 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_
Mine is a different plane but with the same engine with a pipe that runs to close to the fuselage. The original coupler didn't last very long before it burned through and burned a hole in the engine box and burned a Velcro strap inside.
It looks as if you're trying to use silicone tubing for a coupler -- it won't work!

Silicone works fine for glow engines but the exhaust of a gaser is way too hot and (as you've found) it'll burn through that tube in no time.

You need a teflon coupler which will last almost indefinitelty.

cmircman 06-14-2007 08:47 AM

Halogen what weight did yours come out at? I am thinking of swapping mine out to a gas engine. I bought my extra to break in my saito 150 so i could use it in my GP GeeBee.

Rick

Rocketman_ 06-14-2007 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

[quote]ORIGINAL: XJet

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_
...You need a teflon coupler which will last almost indefinitelty.
You are so right but I have a bad angle between the header and the pipe which precludes the use of a rigid Teflon coupler. It has been my intention to extend the aft end of the pipe tunnel in the fuselage so that the pipe will lay flat and buy a new header to get rid of that angle. But, I have been procrastinating because I have a number of other planes to fly.

As a temporary fix I have wrapped it with a thermal coupler tape that claims "heat from the exhaust will cause resins in the tape to liquify and to flow into the tape's glass cloth. Then, when cool, the resin will harden, creating a shield of protection which eliminates the possibility of coupler blow-out." I loved the sound of that claim so I used the tape.:eek:

RoysterDW 07-20-2007 03:15 AM

Hi Guys

Just bought the Extra with the SPE40cc engine combo from Peak Model. Reason for the 40 was it wasnt much heavier and it is still lighter than the G26 engine plus I saw the Peak Model video of the Extra 260 + 26cc video with the yellow extra and Peak Model confirmed it was a 40cc not a 26cc engine.

Has anyone else bought this combo and can someone hlep me with what gear I need for this plane as its my first gasser and I think I need different switching and fuel lines than a glow plane.

I did some reading on these forums and I see some are using Futaba S3305 HT MG servos. I asked peak and they said the 3305s are fine.

Any pics would be great as I am in uncharted territory here.[sm=drowning.gif]

stew007 07-23-2007 10:30 AM

I built mine using the Peak 26cc, You will need to use Tygon fuel tubing, and its best to use a filter clunk. and also keep the engine and everything connected by metal to the engine a good few inches away from the RX as to avoid interference, I used a non-conductive kevlar thread for my throttle linkage, with the throttle servo mounted beside the rudder servo, also my 1600mah 6v RX batt was mounted way back in the aircraft to give the 133mm CG position, I used two separate elevator servos (cut on an extra hole above the existing one) Servos I used were Hitec hs645mg on the rudder, hs425bb on elevators and Cirrus P-CS701/BB 10.6kg on aileron + an 800mah NIMH 6v ignition batt mounted in front of the tank. All up RTF weight excluding spats is 9lbs and 10oz which still gives a low wing loading.

To save weight using this setup, would be to use a carbon undercarriage and a carbon propeller, I used the heavy apc 18x6W, Lighter hardware might help a little too but I dont think its worth it. Another thing I did was move the fuel tank back just in front of the wing tube for better stability of the CG position during flight, a slightly smaller tank would be ideal here. But if you can aim to get her to balance without using lead then thats really the main concern. Its a very nice plane!

grossy2 07-25-2007 07:35 PM

Hi All,
Just ordered one of these and plan to put a SPE 40cc in it.
Using Hitec 625 MG on Elev, 645 MG on Ail and Tower Pro 955 MG on Rud.
For those of you out there that have one allready, anything we need to know about?
Any more build/flight reports? In the pics there dose not seen to be very much right thrust built in to the fire wall. Also the Elev looks a little week, anybody had troubles with the tail end?

Cheers
Grossy

RoysterDW 07-25-2007 10:44 PM

Has anyonr got any method they like to share on installing the hinges? eg. where to mark align and all that.

Oh yeah, most have said dont use the hinges that come with the kits so I am using Great Planes CA Hinges

[8D]

stew007 07-26-2007 03:51 AM

Hi there,

there seems to be around the correct amount of right thrust built in, on the fire wall there are marks which you should use to align the centre of your engine with. With regards to the Elev, it is robust, but I would recommend that you use dual elevator servos as any twisting under high g manurers would likely manifest in the elevator connecting link, I threw that link away in preference for using two servos, Also you will need the extra weight in the tail, so it might as well be a servo rather than lead. Ive not had a chance to fly her yet, i'm having fuel delivery problems which I need to sort out first, So maybe by the weekend [8D]

As for the hinges, the slots are all pre-cut, you might need to ease them a little with a scalpel or hobby knife, but the supplied hinges are actually quite good. use super thin CA and wick plenty of it in, works a treat.

Stewart

RoysterDW 07-27-2007 06:40 AM

Had a good look at the kit with a friend and we were thinking about dual servos as well, but they would have to be low profile type.

For the rudder I gather everyone used a pull-pull system?

stew007 07-27-2007 08:28 AM

If you cut a hole above the existing elevator servo hole on the other side of the fuz, then two standard size servos works great, that is what ive done.

nowinkk 07-27-2007 11:26 PM

I found only 1 set of ball link for the elevator in my kit.

RoysterDW 07-28-2007 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: stew007

If you cut a hole above the existing elevator servo hole on the other side of the fuz, then two standard size servos works great, that is what ive done.
WOuld you have any pics?

nowinkk 07-28-2007 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: stew007

WOuld you have any pics?
Roy,

Pls click on this link to see the pic on another thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...levator/tm.htm

RoysterDW 07-28-2007 04:21 AM

Ah yeah have seen that thread. Thanks;)

Has anyone had to extend the distance of the SPE40 from the firewall with the stock muffler?

I am planing on getting the pitts style muffler for it so if anyone has any install note on engine installaion of the Extra260 with a SPE40?

[8D]

nowinkk 07-28-2007 12:46 PM

Well, the stock muffler doesn't fit the engine compartment properly without the engine mounting box having to be cut off a corner to make way for the muffler.

Extending the engine further from the firewall is not a good idea given the fact that the head is already too heavy with this over-sized SPE 40.

RoysterDW 07-29-2007 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: nowinkk

Well, the stock muffler doesn't fit the engine compartment properly without the engine mounting box having to be cut off a corner to make way for the muffler.

Extending the engine further from the firewall is not a good idea given the fact that the head is already too heavy with this over-sized SPE 40.
So I have to cut the air frame?[X(] DOnt like the sound of that.

How about if I use the pitts style muffler?

nowinkk 07-29-2007 08:43 AM

If the pitts style muffler can be bolted onto this SPE 40 engine, I think it is a better option.

RoysterDW 07-30-2007 06:31 PM

Has anyone have any pics of the PeakModel Extra 260 fitted with a SPE40? (with the cowl off)

;)

fredstyle 07-31-2007 12:50 AM

Hey I want to see this thread continue, I just received the spe 40 extra combo, my first gasser that i'm building. i'll post pics as soon as the batteries charge for the cam. I'm using jr9411 servos for the elevators (2) then hitec hs 5625 mg's for rudder (pull-pull) and ail. I;m using the stock side dump exh.

RoysterDW 07-31-2007 08:57 AM

Yeah was going for 2 servos but cant be bothered moding the plane.

Paul Xu who designed it says it fine with 1 so I'll stick to 1 in the elevator, and he flies the &*$& off this plane.

Feel free to post every detail on the build as I am not what I would call a fantastic builder, even on ARFs!!

fredstyle 08-01-2007 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The reason I went with dual elevators is for balance, bigger motor so a little more tail weight. here's the progress so far:

RoysterDW 08-02-2007 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: fredstyle

The reason I went with dual elevators is for balance, bigger motor so a little more tail weight. here's the progress so far:

Yeah thats why I was going to 2 as well but I'm not confident in moding the plane in case I wreck it. I'm a bit of butcher when it comes to mods:eek:, but hey I learn from you and watch how you go!

Noticed you have already got the engine mounted. Coool! Also noticed the Du-Bro tank in the background, not using the supplied one?