Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

BTA-06 autopilot experience, anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

BTA-06 autopilot experience, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTA-06 autopilot experience, anyone?

Thought this might be the place to put this post in hopes of some feedback. Several years ago, I bought an older BTA-06 with no instructions. I accumulated a 2.4 ghz color cam, Tx and Rx, a video overlay, and PDC 10 with the hopes of building a UAV. I never had a plane really big enough to mount the stuff in. I now have a shot at a roomy 1/4 scale plane that might be the ticket. Looking for some info on the BTA-06, how it works, how well it does, how much gain, etc. Compare this to the FMA co-pilot-which I also have and never used-if the two are comparable. I realize the BTA apparently has a baro altitude hold which the FMA doesn't have. Not sure how important altitude hold is-except if your out of visual range. Any thoughts? Bill
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM
kd7ost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BTA-06 autopilot experience, anyone?

Hi Bill,

I can help but can you take this thread, (Or start a new one) over here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/uav-unmanned...-vehicles-238/
There is more experience in that section than here. Other guys will help that don't check in here.

Dan
Old 01-15-2007, 10:40 AM
steve_molmer

wsmalley:
Bill:
Dans rite but...
If you are setting up a large plane as a UAV or a camera platform the BTA - 6 is your best bet. The FMA unit is fine for flying a small electric on a sunny day but just try using it on a cloudy or overcast day if you want to get bit. We have used the BTA – 6 and 7 for the last 5 years. When you have it Trimmed in, Both units will hold the plane at any altitude above 500ft very well and can be used in winds up to 70 miles per hour ( if you plane has the power and size to handle the wind)
You will need a PCM receiver and or a Single rc channel fail safe. With the BTA - 6 setup and turned on you will only need to use you rutter stick to turn the plane as you go over the area you are flying. (Note that with the controls on your plane will be very sluggish using the transmitter sticks) It is like the plane is on rails and is stable as a rock.
let me know if you need any more information on this.
Cheers

Old 01-15-2007, 01:52 PM
wsmalley

Thanks for the info Steve. Curious though, what's the basis for the 500' altitude limit? Also, why the PCM, fail safe, just in case, or something to do with the BTA mechanics? And too, what kind of battery drain is there? Wondering what the minimum sized Rx battery one should use would be.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 PM
steve_molmer

Bill:
from my testing 500' is the lowest that I can ever see using auto pilots in general one word trees. ( I fly in GA, lots of pine trees)
The reason for a PCM fale-safe is if you fly out of range of your transmitter the plane can be set to turn in a slow circle so you can get it back.
First off you need to use a larg 40 to a 60 size rc plane for this. (if you can not see it and you loss video you loose your plane)
I fly with at least a 4 AMP battery at all times. ( the BTA-6 pulls about 85 to 90 mAMPs when in use)
If you are looking at the lb's, your using way to small a plane.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
wsmalley

When I posted this I thought I was on the way to buying a nice 1/4 scale Cub, but I delayed a couple of hours making a decision and: it was sold! I don't have anything really big enough to mount this stuff in just now. I'm kind of looking around for something big and stable enough that I can get my hands into when necessary. I used to fly out of the Cartersville area-Bartow County Club-so yea, I know of pine trees! I fly out of a private airstrip here but there are trees all aound which reach up and grab model airplanes.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 PM
steve_molmer

Bill:
I fly out at the CCRC near Mars-hill road in GA.
I have all sorts of extra plane setting around the shop.
Let me know just what you are looking for.

Most of the guys out at our field flying camera stuff are using the lift master.

It is an extremely big trainer like plane (105” wing span) that can take unbelievable abuse and keep on flying.
I have one that survived flying thru a pine tree at over 50 miles per hour.
The video is posted in this forum.

If you want a lift master I have 1 here or you can get it from Cedar Hobbies for well under $280.00 including ground shipping
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92256.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	600885