Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

landing bounce

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

landing bounce

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:52 AM
SamanthaSideSlip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of "toe out" on the landing gear of a tail-dragger will help a lot with bounce. With "toe in" the wheels track back to the pre-load position and so pop the aircraft back up.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:37 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming that all is well with the plane and it's properly rigged, it must be considered that different airplanes exhibit different flying characteristics and have different requirements for pilot skills. With that out of the way, the one thing that always remains the same about a landing (except maybe on an aircraft carrier) is the fact that you should NEVER try to MAKE the plane land! It does that all by itself when it runs out of airspeed necessary for lift. If the plane returns to the air after a bounce, it wasn't ready to land in the first place.

The process of landing is to hold the plane off the ground for as long as possible as it runs out of airspeed, then the thing lands itself! Think of it like a contest to see how long you can keep the plane off the ground (while near the ground of course) as it loses airspeed, but if you do everything to keep it from settling down, it will end up landing itself perfectly and even if it hits a bump, it will not have enough energy to get back into the air. Force it to land and you've got problems, no matter how good a pilot you are otherwise!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 03:34 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

What I have found when somone has issues with bouncing on landing is that they are running the CG too far forward. Another probable cause is poor landing gear location. I have a 1/3 scale Reed Falcon that that has the gear a bit too forward, unless I do a full stall landing as you describe it will bounce. The 1/4 scale version has the gear a bit further back and does not exhibit the same behavior.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:35 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BMatthews
Guys, this is about run its course. And truly it has wandered away from any link to aerodynamics or design dynamics.

We'll give it the rest of the day in case anyone has any last moment thoughts and then it'll be locked to fade away.
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Thread closed....

If there is still any questions about how best to fly a model to avoid a bounce on landing then the discussion should be put into the Questions and Answers forum or Beginner forum or in a forum that deals with whatever style of model is at issue.

Kinda funny how all these old locked threads got unlocked when the big software improvement (?) happened back around 2016 . As can be seen by these posts I quoted , this BMatthews guy who used to be a moderator here locked this thread back in 2012 , and in 2016 it rose from the dead like all good zombie threads do .
Old 03-26-2020, 04:41 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I think it's a good topic, as the hobby has progressed to mostly ARF models I see more and more guys struggling with poor airplane behavior/performance due to setup issues. Obviously take off and landings are affected by this as well.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:57 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A zombie thread it may be, but folks are still struggling with landings and the last time I checked, the laws of aerodynamics have not been changed.