Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Jimeni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

Its not really a problem, but rather a trait. All my 3D planes do the same thing with that much throw, and it is airspeed related. The only one I've had that didnt snap, was the FuntanaX100. High rates on this plane, to me, should only be used in below stall speed 3D manuveres. I've been doing rolling harriers, slow rolls, ect. with low rates. But flat spins, waterfalls, elevators, ect. its high rates all the way. I get very little to no snap at all on low rates at any speed with my Yak. The Aeroworks 60 size edge snaps even worse, but that instability makes an awesome 3D plane. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: TomTreese

I think I've asked this question before??? Have you noticed this??
When flying level and pull a hard up elevator the Yak always wants to roll right. I have checked my elevator throws and they appear to be moving the same amount and speed??[] If I add a little left aileron ,Pull the stick a little left whith the up, it's better but I'm not sure if it's a throw problem or airframe problem??

I am using a 17X6 APC on my Saito 150. Works fine for 3D and hovering as well as pattern. I want to try a 16X8 APC.
I previously tried an 18X6 and 18X8 MAS on my Saito 180 on the Ultimate and the engine didn't like that heavy prop. So I now have a 17X8 APC on the 180.
This is a specific trait of the plane. All and I mean all Yaks do this. My .90-1.20 Yak does this, a friends 50cc Yak does this, another friends 35% Comp Arf Yak-55 does this,... It's just something that is incorporated into the Yak's design. Full scale Yak pilots use a lot of rudder in their maneuvers beacuse of this trait. I think it has something to do with the round fuselage design. You have to live with it and correct it in flight.

For your prop, take a look at Vess Sport props. I had an APC 18x6W before and it was just too heavy and put too much of a load on the engine. Now I have a Vess 18x6 on mine and the combination of the lightness of the wood prop and the shape of the Vess propellers makes this thing really wring the plane around. Looottsss of powwweeerrrrr!!!

http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...211822823.1042

Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Jimeni

Ok Frankie, I'm sold! Vess will be the next one I try.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
TomTreese
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting???
My Seagull Edge and Dave Patrick Ultimate don't do it. The Yak does it most of the time, except at low speed and low throws. There are four giant scale Yak's ( a Goldberg and 3 SD's)at our field and they don't do it??? Must be just be an Aeroworks thing?
Thanks..
Old 05-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Jimeni

Went to a new flying field to check it out thinking I would impress guys with my big pretty Yak. PPFFTT! It was the smallest Aeroworks Yak there. There were 2 50cc, 1 100cc and 1 150cc. They said mine was cute The 150cc Yak is a sight to behold. I'm suffering from Yak envy. I do see me getting a 50cc within the next 2 yrs though. Its sharp as well.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ferocious Frankie

When flying level and pull a hard up elevator the Yak always wants to roll right. I have checked my elevator throws and they appear to be moving the same amount and speed??[] If I add a little left aileron ,Pull the stick a little left whith the up, it's better but I'm not sure if it's a throw problem or airframe problem??

I am using a 17X6 APC on my Saito 150. Works fine for 3D and hovering as well as pattern. I want to try a 16X8 APC.
I previously tried an 18X6 and 18X8 MAS on my Saito 180 on the Ultimate and the engine didn't like that heavy prop. So I now have a 17X8 APC on the 180.
This is a specific trait of the plane. All and I mean all Yaks do this. My .90-1.20 Yak does this, a friends 50cc Yak does this, another friends 35% Comp Arf Yak-55 does this,... It's just something that is incorporated into the Yak's design. Full scale Yak pilots use a lot of rudder in their maneuvers beacuse of this trait. I think it has something to do with the round fuselage design. You have to live with it and correct it in flight.

For your prop, take a look at Vess Sport props. I had an APC 18x6W before and it was just too heavy and put too much of a load on the engine. Now I have a Vess 18x6 on mine and the combination of the lightness of the wood prop and the shape of the Vess propellers makes this thing really wring the plane around. Looottsss of powwweeerrrrr!!!

Not sure I buy that. the real yak has a left turning engine, so P factor is reversed. If it does it with power on or power off, then you have a little too much right trim. take a smidgeon of the right thrust out by putting a washer behnd the right side motor mount and retrim thr rudder.

the symmetry of the plane in fully neutral, so the only factor that can cause roll is induced yaw moment or torque induced yaw/roll. balance it 1/2 or 1 oz left wing heavy and try that too. It should stall evenly. very fine adjustments.

my 2c.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Ferocious Frankie

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Ferocious Frankie

Not sure I buy that. the real yak has a left turning engine, so P factor is reversed. If it does it with power on or power off, then you have a little too much right trim. take a smidgeon of the right thrust out by putting a washer behnd the right side motor mount and retrim thr rudder.

the symmetry of the plane in fully neutral, so the only factor that can cause roll is induced yaw moment or torque induced yaw/roll. balance it 1/2 or 1 oz left wing heavy and try that too. It should stall evenly. very fine adjustments.

my 2c.

No B.S., I actually know a former full scale aerobatic pilot named Mike Conrardy. He now owns a hobby shop here in California and I talked to him about this "problem". His exact words were "All Yaks do it, even the big guys." So what I want to say is if you don't like it, try to fix it, if it works out great, if it doesn't then you know why. I don't have any problems with my Yak as I fly the "problem" out in the air. BTW, my trims on my plane are dead on.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Jimeni

I buy it! All of my 3D'ers do it, and I know they are balanced, CG and laterally, and thrust may be an issue, but I'm sure they are set properly as well. Vertical up and downline, and horizontal tracking is good with no trims added at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle settings.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Anybody flying this plane with an OS 160? I know it would be better with a gasser or even a 4 stroke but I have the OS and I am looking for a home for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

R/C Foolish
Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 AM
TomTreese

At slower speeds and low throws it is ok. It's only when you go over 60% elevator throws that it wants to roll. This is probably due to the sudden loss of lift, air speed over the wing, that make it unstable?? I can avoid it by using a little left aileron with the up elevator.
My Yak is balanced laterally and is balanced to fly hands off inverted.
Just have to fly the plane. It's not a trainer. Very touchy elevator!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Slviper

This Yak is a keeper!
Just put an APC 17-6 on the OS 120 AX last night based on feedback posted here.
Anyone got the Aeroworks wing/stab bags?
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 06-03-2008, 08:50 AM
TomTreese

http://www.hobby-pak.com/indexmain.htm
Check out this site for wing bags. I have one for my Edge and Yak.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Slviper

Thanks,
Custom work here scroll down for Aeroworks YAK I love it but....$$$ http://www.covermewingbags.com/nvTX.htm
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
TomTreese

Only and $160.- $200. difference??
Old 06-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Slviper

I am looking into the aeroworks wing/stab bag for 54.99 Looks good, not as much cash!
Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Ferocious Frankie

At slower speeds and low throws it is ok. It's only when you go over 60% elevator throws that it wants to roll. This is probably due to the sudden loss of lift, air speed over the wing, that make it unstable?? I can avoid it by using a little left aileron with the up elevator.
My Yak is balanced laterally and is balanced to fly hands off inverted.
Just have to fly the plane. It's not a trainer. Very touchy elevator!!!

Program in some expo and see what happens. My elevator only gets touchy at stall speeds, but flying I have no problems.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 PM
TomTreese

I have 40% expo on the elevator.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Ferocious Frankie

I have 40% expo on the elevator.
O.K., how about lessen your elevator throws. You want your plane to not go straight up immediately when you apply elevator. You should get a nice positive parabola just like a full scale aerobatic plane. The plane flies forward while going up causing the nice curved entry into your upline. If it abruptly enters the upline meaning it immediately flies up like the corner of a square then your elevator is touchy.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
TomTreese

It does that at low rates.
I was asking the question because the Edge and Ultimate do not roll when I snap them up at high rates.
Not a problem just an inquiry about the Yak.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 AM
LangerLad
My Feedback: (2)

Just about finished building mine and was wondering if it is essential to use the R clip wing retainers.
Never seen them on any other model and are a bit of a pain to fit plus it still has the normal wing retaining bolts.
Do all you guys use them?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:13 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: LangerLad

Just about finished building mine and was wondering if it is essential to use the R clip wing retainers.
Never seen them on any other model and are a bit of a pain to fit plus it still has the normal wing retaining bolts.
Do all you guys that use them?
Put a slight bend in them about 1/3 down from the closed end. Makes grabbing them easier. Use 'em!

Dave
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Does anybody know how this plane flies with an OS 160 on the nose? I have the motor and I ordered my plane from Chief.

R/C Foolish
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 AM
TomTreese

ORIGINAL: LangerLad

Do all you guys use them?
Yes, I use the clips and I have seen one of them vibrate off as well as a wing bolt loosen after srvrral flights.
I use a 2" twist tie around the top of the clip which make them easier to remove. On two of them you need to drill the wood under the tube so the tip will go all the way in. They take less than a minute to install and it could save your $1,000.00 Yak.
I also use a lock washer on the wing bolt.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Dick Smith

Tom - What wing bolt are you talking about? I just use the clips. Did I forget to install something. Dick
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
TomTreese

Dick
There is 8/32 x 3/4" hex head bolt that screws into wings just forward of the aileron wire slots. I added a standard washer plus a lock washer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.