Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

Laugh if you want, but it could carry enough explosive to take out a large house. As I mentioned before, our military already has a craft that weighs less than one lb and carries an explosive charge. It is designed to be flown into the target it is intended to destroy.
These guys used a small foamy, but if someone wanted to take out a building, they could pack enough explosive into a 1/4 scale cub to take out a city block.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Idiots in New York, RC plane buzzing Statue of Liberty & Brooklyn Bridge

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

Laugh if you want, but it could carry enough explosive to take out a large house. As I mentioned before, our military already has a craft that weighs less than one lb and carries an explosive charge. It is designed to be flown into the target it is intended to destroy.
These guys used a small foamy, but if someone wanted to take out a building, they could pack enough explosive into a 1/4 scale cub to take out a city block.
Exactly!

What I don't understand;

is why we have to be our own worst enemies... with all the what-if talk that effectively frames hobbyists and modelers as potential terrorists or citing how something we do might give terrorists certain ideas...how does that help??? Bottom line, terrorists have thought of more things than some little foamy delivering an explosive charge. Hobbyist are never terrorists...we need to always maintain that distinction very clearly.

Or how we say "we need to limit ourselves or the government will"...either way we are limited...

Look, no matter what, even intelligent people will do stupid things...they need to pay appropriately for their mistakes...not all the rest of us...we need to get back to real personal responsibility as a deterrent not just another warehouse full of more restrictive laws.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 AM
tinner1

LCS,
Now you've gone and done it! We don't always see eye to eye, but AGAIN you have made me agree with you 100%.

Some of my next comments aren't aimed at you LCS but rather other posts. The FACT that the supporters of this "insane" stunt can't see that the terrorists don't need us giving them "more" ways to attack us is mind blowing!! We ARE NOT "pansies" as some war monger posts would like to believe, but I'll tell you one thing for sure...If a person or group of people are out to get me or my country, I'll be damned if I'll give them more ways to do it!! While doing construction at Cleveland Hopkins Airport years ago I saw a lot of ways to bypass security, but I won't post them on the internet! I went to the proper people and let them know where the threat was. And as to how much could a "foamy" carry, I assure you it is more than a few cherry bombs. Ask the relatives of the people killed by small explosions that terrorists set off how much was needed to kill their relatives...Before 9-11 we never saw an airliner loaded with people used as a weapon, but look at the knee jerk reaction it has caused to us all. No one making the laws thinks rationally. They ALL over react. I just hope they never react to this kind of stupid action. The restrictions will all but wipe out our hobby activities, and all you supporters of those activities will surely complain, and wonder why did it happen...
Old 12-05-2010, 05:37 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

What IED could you carry in an electric foamy, about three cherry bombs?
There are other possible deadly payloads.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 AM
tinner1

Sport Pilot
If one can carry enough of ANYTHING to kill just ONE person, it is too much!!! SIMPLE answer don't you think?!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: 804

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

There are other possible deadly payloads.

You bet, all of the B.S. in this thread............
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

That is exactly why the FAA wants to restrict us to 400 ft altitute and 100mph speed.
because there are some of us in the modeling hobby without any common sence.
I will not even beggin to think about flying over the heads of people or buildings. If one of my planes just scratched the paint of a parked car the owner will sue me. Let alone if it hurts a child playing in the street. And not only the legal responsibility, but I will feel awful. But here some of us see a thrill in this video,
Well we get what we deserve as a group. DONOTCRYAFTERWARDS
Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Any moderator that moderates reports on his own posts has crossed the line. RCU would not tolerate that...... and RC-Ken keeps this forum in line, to have a moderator moderate, post in threads and moderate reports on his own posts is a conflict of interest and the AMA needs to address this.

Brad
So why is it allowed on the AMA site?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

deleted...

Old 12-05-2010, 07:12 AM
lackeyma
My Feedback: (4)

Agree, incredibly stupid, especially these days.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Arbo

ORIGINAL: hook57

Not quite right, the ''final'' writing isn't final until it appears in the federal register. Everything up until that point can influence the final writing of the rule.

hook
Potentially. But probably not likely.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Guys!

I happen to do a quick Google search and found this![:@]

http://fpvpilot.com/safe.aspx

Fast foward to:

4) Location
Another important point, and possibly an area of discussion. Where is it safe to fly FPV? Most people would agree that flying over largely populated areas, busy highways, and other areas of high population density are not safe areas to fly. And this again, goes for R/C flying in general, not just FPV. This is another case where one should make a logical and sound decision as to whether or not safe flying is possible from their location

RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Aircraft maximum weight and speed limited to FAA guidelines.
2. The use of spotters is recommended during initial flight training or at congested flying fields.
3. GPS based programmable redundant failsafe systems are encouraged and if used for return to home purpose should be programmed to bring the aircraft back to a safe location away from people and property. If a return-to-home feature is not used, it is advisable to
4. Have on-board capability (fail safe) of landing the aircraft if pilot control is interrupted.
5. Any record attempts that exceed these guidelines require the prior approval of all official agencies involved that would include but are not limited to FAA and FAI.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
guapoman2000

Hi there again

In the FAQ section of this Web Site for FPV flying:

http://fpvpilot.com/FAQs.aspx
================================================== ===========================================
Q. Do I need too or should I join the AMA?

A. The AMA is a insurance carrier and is not a ruling body of R/C aircraft. Their rules are for the AMA insured and are not laws but rules at AMA fields and events. If you fly or intend to fly at a local/national field or event then an AMA lic. may be required.

================================================== ===========================================
Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

The guys that did that are incredibly stupid! I cannot believe some of you condone what they did. They should have their asses kicked all the way back to Europe.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

The guys that did that are incredibly stupid! I cannot believe some of you condone what they did. They should have their asses kicked all the way back to Europe.
I am not siding with anyone here and you are free to express your opinion like everyone else but, what I don't understand is the closing CREDITS of the Video.

It says that the NYPD, TSA and Park Rangers had a positive attitude? Does this mean that they pre-coordinated this Flight over NYC with the correct authorities?

If so, who exactly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87364.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1530507  
Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 AM
fritzdecat

The incredible thing is the Austrian guy did this because a New Yorker on a forum thread dared him to come to NYC and try his flying.
When I first saw the video I was blown away mostly by the fact the guy was crazyenoughto actually spend all that time and money and to bring his foamy over here to prove it could be done, he states that in print at the start of the video..." To prove a point" he says
If it does get banned people will just get more underground with their FPV activity.
It won't die many folks have $$$ invested in this stuff, $400 for Fatshark Goggles, Gro Pro Cams $$$ etc etcusuallya grand or more
The strangest thing about it is how much anger it creates, even without this incident in New York there is huge friction over this...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 AM
DeferredDefect

Amazing video!

If the pilot had the support of the local authorities, why all the fuss? 
This is not going to hurt model aviation - if anyone is paranoid enough to believe someone will strap a bomb to a model airplane, they need to concern themselves with the bigger picture. You are far more likely to be killed by a local American than some kind of terrorist. 

Furthermore, half of this thread consists of mindless arguing about a totally unrelated topic. Maybe the two guys arguing should take time out of their 8th grade class to yell at each other face to face? 

Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

That is exactly why the FAA wants to restrict us to 400 ft altitute and 100mph speed.
because there are some of us in the modeling hobby without any common sence.
I will not even beggin to think about flying over the heads of people or buildings. If one of my planes just scratched the paint of a parked car the owner will sue me. Let alone if it hurts a child playing in the street. And not only the legal responsibility, but I will feel awful. But here some of us see a thrill in this video,
Well we get what we deserve as a group. DO NOT CRY AFTERWARDS

Just wondering, everyone is making a big deal about the 400ft. thing, I never even realized its already in the AMA by-laws @ http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF:

2. Model aircraft pilots will:
(a) Yield the right of way to all man carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D-See and Avoid Guidance.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport, without notifying the airport operator.

So is the difference here that we are talking about an FAA regulation as opposed to an AMA limitation? It seems that some of the folks (not pointing fingers, I just used the post from LOP above to ask the question) that some existing AMA members are regarding this as a new limitation. This isn't really a new requirement is it?

Dave

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Amazing video!

This is not going to hurt model aviation - if anyone is paranoid enough to believe someone will strap a bomb to a model airplane, they need to concern themselves with the bigger picture. You are far more likely to be killed by a local American than some kind of terrorist.

Furthermore, half of this thread consists of mindless arguing about a totally unrelated topic. Maybe the two guys arguing should take time out of their 8th grade class to yell at each other face to face?

Yeah, no kiddin'.
Automobiles crashes kill about 40,000 Americans a year.
911 killed about 3000 in a few hours.

Which gets more press?
Which is going to cause the most negative publicity about our hobby?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: 804

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Amazing video!

Yeah, no kiddin'.
Automobiles crashes kill about 40,000 Americans a year.
911 killed about 3000 in a few hours.

Which gets more press?
Which is going to cause the most negative publicity about our hobby?

People on here that keep harping about it over an over
Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Valve floater

You can`t predict when a servo or battery will go out. Flying over the bridge the plane could malfunction and go into a spiral dive and strike a car. I would not be stupid enough to fly that close knowing what could happen.Hope this does not open the door to every guy with a camera on their plane.The way i see it, this hobby is made to enjoy between you and the plane at an AMA field. The joy of flight. NOT flying over people`s heads!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Valve floater

You can`t predict when a servo or battery will go out. Flying over the bridge the plane could malfunction and go into a spiral dive and strike a car. I would not be stupid enough to fly that close knowing what could happen.Hope this does not open the door to every guy with a camera on their plane.The way i see it, this hobby is made to enjoy between you and the plane at an AMA field. The joy of flight. NOT flying over people`s heads!

Does this mean you are against any field that isn't an official ama field?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

AMEN!!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:40 AM
fritzdecat

Ever see the damage from a bird strike?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like he had permission from the Park Rangers.  He is likely not an AMA member, so I don't see where he has broken any rules.  I doubt a small electric foamy could damage the statue and not do much harm to people.  So what is the beef?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.