Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Flying site problems. >

Flying site problems.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Flying site problems.

Old 08-29-2003, 03:19 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flying site problems.

We have a visibility problem in our hobby. Our lack of good visibility and acceptance is costing us flying sites all across the country, both in denied and lost sites. Some mistakenly think that the solution lies at the national level. While the AMA must be involved with parts of the solution, the problem is that the national visibility does not convert into LOCAL action. This means that the AMA should have a program that provides clubs effective guidance in creating their public image. This is a lot more complex than it appears on the surface.

I was speaking to someone a while ago and mention was made of the various programs already in place to present model aviation and the AMA to school students. That is not an image building activity as much as it does create a level of acceptance of us and our activities at the table of education. Unfortunately those folks are normally not heavily involved in the decision making process about land use. In another thread ScottRC explained that his club had a member who was also in the local government group they 'invited' to accompany them to a school presentation. That comment clearly demonstrates the failure of all our school programs to raise our visibility in the eyes of the local decision makers.

So what does this mean? We have been missing the boat for some time now and that needs to be changed. The local politician only wants to be involved (seen as supporting, helping, or encouraging) activities that impact LOCAL people who are better known as constitutions or potential voters. Since the school efforts are rarely if ever seen on the evening news, we must find a better way. This is what WE need to do as a local club. The AMA cannot do it for us and all the national efforts will not earn a single vote for the local politician.

What is the concept? Simple, get your club identified as good folks by the general public. The best way to do that is clearly to get air time from friendly T.V. folks, and they ALREADY are on board because WE are a good story they can push. All that we need to do is make sure that we do as many things to accomplish that task as possible. The media has repeatedly given us the 'platform' we need to capitalize on it.

When the local club decides to try to 'penetrate' this 'market' there should be some guidance available from AMA. You know, little things like pointing out that Jerry's Kids is a good charity but it rarely does it have the same impact on local government officials as helping local charities or needy folks. LOCAL orphanages, battered women's and children's shelters or other LOCAL high visibility 'targets' have much better impact on the club's future flying site situation than all the monies donated to faceless national groups. Other things the AMA can do to improve the local club's penetration of the media (news) market is to protect events that may be non-competitive but generate high profile views of the hobby. Collecting and making available 'cook book' approaches is another start that the AMA can and should do for us. How many newer members have any idea of what all is involved in hosting and 'marketing' and event? These issues and others are among what I feel the AMA needs to take on to insure the future of the hobby.

Well over a decade ago several people in my club were discussing problems we were having finding a new flying field. The number one problem was that NOBODY ever heard of us or what we do. We concluded that something in our approach needed to change. I found a local Christmas charity and we began to work with them. In the last 11 years my club has gotten well over 2 hours coverage on the local television station in a fairly large market from this one event. We became well enough known that the local Fox affiliate spent some time getting instruction on camera that was seen AND REMEMBERED by many. I know because I was the instructor and someone at my church saw the news program and commented on it to me. Has all this helped my club? YES! Our newest field was 'given' to us partly because the landlord directly supports the charity we have worked for.

These are the things I have spoken to before. They have not changed.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The world is bigger than that which I touch:

_hit flows one way -- DOWNHILL! If one stands downhill of the above post by JB, then one could well need some shoveling out of the flowage.

While local activity certainly helps, I have been involved with local shows / demonstrations / and local media publication/presentations for some 40 years. These events are like footprints made in the sand on the beach next to the water. The next wave rolls in and they are gone.

In the realm of the real world, one needs to start at the top and watch the momentum gather as the ball rolls downhill. Certainly you have seen the Sep. '03 issue of RCM. NATIONAL recognition of NATIONAL MEDIA leaves solid implants in people's minds.

Any organization that has a point/idea requiring public attention does everything in its power to sell the public on that point/idea. After all just what is advertising? Advertisers go after immediate attention by bombarding you with reasons for you to buy their products. In the case of education about ideas, then an organization must simply hammer away at the minds of people just to get attention to that organization's point/idea. This takes more time, however it works.

Due to the time elements, the longer that AMA delays in establishing a course change to NATIONAL recognition of aeromodeling as a worthwhile SPORT and/or recreational hobby, the more danger there is in the potential loss of more and more facilities for the sport. Just yesterday, I received a letter from a significant person in one of the Special Interest Groups that stated that SIG lost 400 members this year from last year. Flying Site loss could well have contributed to that member loss.

Any one that watches the social changes within this society can easily tell that national media definitely sets the politically-correct moods within the populace which become custom over the years.
The media still honors the sports.

Just to scratch the surface: AMA assures our International (FAI) Competition Teams come home with the Drum-Rolls in the national networks. Aeromodeling becomes like the Olympics. With some time, the Nationals, Top Gun, and other great events reach a note worth mentioning on national media. The recent flight across the Atlantic received a mention in the Wall Street Journal. Much, much more can be mentioned. Moods can be set.

To cut the story short, local politicians will hear NATIONAL media and they well know that their voters also hear NATIONAL media. Local politicians are much more prone to be swayed by those solid implants than those "local kids with their toys". Never forget that local politicians are always watching "up" to the top looking for the federal grants. When they see just what is becoming more and more fashionable, they are quick to join that bandwagon.

Therefore, Gentlemen, there is a world out beyond the ends of your arms. AMA needs people with a vision, ones that see beyond the horizon. There must be more than simply a dozen or so people standing around patting each other's backside.

The AMA EC needs individuals that say, "There is work to do." Then, when that work is done, the individual says, "Now it's really time to get off center, roll up the sleeves and get a move on."

If you want Flying Sites, less rules, more recognition, then you too have work to do and that is to VOTE. You only have one choice of an individual with the vision, the experience and the initiative to initiate what needs to be done. The secret to getting that work done is through informing the membership of what is really happening.

The ball is in your court.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105585_87.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	59170  
Old 08-29-2003, 11:08 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The world is bigger than that which I touch:

Originally posted by Hossfly
_hit flows one way -- DOWNHILL! If one stands downhill of the above post by JB, then one could well need some shoveling out of the flowage.

.... clip .....

The ball is in your court.
Why is it when the competition get's scared that they result to name calling and direct derrogatory statements?? Who cares what follows, the opening statement ruined it all for me... How about you other guys.... Do we need a guy in office like this?
Old 08-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Do we need people in office like....... No. I am doing the write in thing. Mike Krizan
Old 08-29-2003, 11:49 AM

Write in thing for Jim B. Mike K.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with all of you. But, leadership must begin within the club. A club that does not have dedicated leaders cannot expect to survive if its assets get threatened. I once belonged to a club in a town of 60,000 that had to of been the role model of all clubs. It had thirty members and above the AMA required officers, it also had an office position of Public Relations. This person was in charge of getting radio, newspaper, and other medias set up for all club events. They managed the circulation of the newsletter, set information to prospective members, and also set up to help local charities with their fund raisers. Everything that the club did had a media plan with it. The clubs main objective was to have the best flying site that would be paid and supported by the community. The only way this was to happen was to be 100% involved with the community. Although only a handful ever fly from this site, hundreds to thousands of people were entertained and benefited by the events sponsored at the site. The club used the planes for charity fundraisers, and had won numerous awards for best float in parades and for supporting these charities.

Unless the club has deep pockets to keep the developers and conservationists at bay, a club needs to get involved with the community. The club I referred to worked with the Shriners and Kiwanis clubs, they participated in every parade and community event, and when they had fun-flys, they advertised for the public to come. Other clubs were astonished when driving to hear advertisements on the radio, or see an ad in the paper. When I was in the club, people would ask all year about the airshows and what would we be doing next. This club really did not have many flyers, but had a lot of supporters.

It paid off. When the club went to the city, who owned the land it had the flying site on, to ask permission to pave the runway, the city not only granted the permission, but found that a contractor doing work for the city had a ton of leftover rock, concrete, and asphalt from another project. The contractor donated all the materials and the equipment. Through help by the City's social and economic development office, Our president applied for a grant and won it to pay for the labor. The City then deeded the land as a controlled access puplic park complete with restrooms, BBQ pit, and playground equipment.

Many old timers did not like this change one bit. They resisted because they liked the privacy, did not want families with children hangig out, did not want recognition. However, our site was on top of a bute that overlooked the city, the developers really had their eyes on it and were moving in for the kill. We had to change.

Unfortunately, a lot of flyers do not have time to do all of this work and want to fly in their spare time. This is were leadership comes in to play. This club had a limited number of flyers because everyone did an equal amount of work that was spelled out and dictitated by the officers. We found that a lot of people love to sit back and watch, but do nothing but complain and criticize. The clubs leadership did not tolerate these types and quickly found ways to get them to work or asked them to leave the club.

This was ten years ago, club dues were $55 a year. 1/2 supported the PR budget.

Where I see the AMA come into play is to teach clubs that are struggling with organizational skills to become more efficient. This is why your statements are important. The AMA needs strong leaders to teach others how to win their battles. The AMA should not have to go in a fight for them, but advise them, and if the club still cannot conform, then I guess it would have to be lost.

Scott
Old 08-29-2003, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by scottrc

SNIP

Where I see the AMA come into play is to teach clubs that are struggling with organizational skills to become more efficient. This is why your statements are important. The AMA needs strong leaders to teach others how to win their battles. The AMA should not have to go in a fight for them, but advise them, and if the club still cannot conform, then I guess it would have to be lost.

Scott
This is my point and you are exactly correct. It is necessary that the AMA have a national 'presence', but that is not the solution. All is lost if there is not FIRST some guidance in teaching local clubs how to use the tools the media provides.

Another way to view it is to consider what decision makers look for in solving problems. Most local movers and shakers have little or no interest in small subdivisions of larger groups that get 15 or 90 seconds of national T.V. time once or twice a year. No, most local politicians would rather be involved with something local that gets local media attention because the voters can get involved or at lest go visit!

How many voters in your city would go to the Nationals based on a few seconds of national television coverage? Compare that number with the number that might go to a local event the next day after having seen a blurb on it in the evening news.

The hard part is not developing the programs, locally or nationally. If you have a good plan that works, the difficult part becomes motivating people to continue doing what works! They get complacent, tired, bored, and lazy. That is the reason there is a continuing need for good strong club leadership. That cannot be gotten from the AMA, but the environment for it can be created at the national level.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:48 PM

I agree and disagree with both of you.

Hossfly-
You are pushing national exposure. I agree with this and I would love to see modeling become an Olympic type event. However when you compare marketing a cause with marketing a physical product you are a little off. There are different ways to advertise different things. When P&G releases a new product they launch nationally/world wide (generally after test marketing in a much smaller area). Keep in mind that P&G is already well established and they are marketing a physical product. To market something such as an Idea or acceptance you need to start at the local level. We need somewhat of a grassroots approach to our advertising. Starting with the city, then county, district, state, region, national, and then world wide. I can tell you through my work with various other organizations (Habitat for humanity, SIFE) this is how it was done and done very successfully. We can look at each flying field as a pebble. We are small but what happens when you drop a pebble into a pond? It makes ripples that reach the farthest banks and those ripples start in the center around the pebble (aka local level).
Jim B.
Its not as easy to get local coverage as you make it sound. I am glad to hear that you have been successful in doing so. From your original post you seem to have somewhat of a marketing background. Many clubs lack the know how of getting coverage. I hate to put this off on the AMA but it is the only real governing type of body we have. The AMA needs to write a guideline on how we should go about marketing ourselves as a socially responsible group.

My local idea is to get kids involved. There are two things that people automatically fall in love with in advertising. One being kids the other being animals. I say host a program for kids to come out and learn to fly. Not just any kids but maybe kids from adoption centers or kids from the make a wish foundation. The radio stations LOVE to get involved in these things and if its for charity they will do it for no cost. Get them there broadcasting what your doing and have them challenge local businesses to come out and donate money to that foundation. You will have the local coverage sealed up and if you do it right it will spill over to your states newspaper and maybe even the 6 o'clock news.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:02 PM
J_R

Jim and rcscott

It seems to me that you both are on the right track. The club is the organization that controls its own destiny. The AMA can only do so much. The AMA should and does issue press releases about significant events. It simply can not afford advertising in any effective way due to the costs. Any major marketing effort can blow through literally millions of dollars overnight. Those type of efforts are made in the hopes of profit, something we do not have. There is a tremendous difference between promotion and advertising.

Marketing modeling is difficult. It must be done with the fact in mind that it is not a family oriented activity. Any that say that it is are kidding themselves. How many modelers want their Significant Other really and truly involved? How many want the SO in the work area all the time? How many really want the SO at the field all the time? Sure, there are some, but, look around. What percentage of the SO's are at the field 90% of the time? How many SO's don't have several activities they would prefer to flying models? How many SO's would say, left unto themselves, "Oh, honey, let's please go to Muncie on our vacation this year!"?

That does not change the fact that the hobby can be promoted as the two of you suggest. The club can produce a very positive public image. Like any endeavor, there are things we can promote and shortcomings we will not promote.

The AMA could and should develop "cook books" with recipes for the local promotion of clubs by clubs, as Jim stated. Cook books could and should be made available for many purposes, including searching for a field and preventing the loss of a field. The AMA is not going to locate a piece of land for a club. HOWEVER, once the club has a potential site, the AMA can and does become helpful in obtaining and maintaining the site. The clubs should have a Cook Book on what to do to obtain the site. Actual help is available, BUT, the club must ask. It's amazing what can be done with a couple of phone calls. Calls that most clubs simply do not know they should make. The AMA does not have any way to know when help is needed if they are not informed about the situation.

rcscott, there are always those that will want to talk and actually do nothing. Every club has them, and most clubs have them in large numbers. It's a pretty well accepted fact that in most social organizations, 15% of the people do the work and 85% watch. There is always some individual that will not get off his butt, but wants to tell every one else what to do. Someone who envisions himself as an "idea man". The AMA is no exception. Fortunately, the 15% usually get the job done. The only exception I take to your story is that the need for numbers. Power dictates that we need every one of the 85% so that we have additional political clout of pure numbers.

JR
Old 08-29-2003, 03:31 PM

What makes up a "family oriented activity"?

I do beleive R/C can be and is a family oriented activity to some degree. You are speaking of the significant other. I beleive the majority of the modelers are thinking more along the lines of their children becomming involved in the sport. This does happen and though I dont have any stats from research I think it is increasing (at least in my region). I would call it a family oriented sport if its a sport where father and child (usually son) can go out and bond. The environment in which modeling takes place is usually educational, safe, and promotes good character within whomever takes part. If the field is not this way then maybe its memebers should re-evaluate how things are being run.

Your right by saying there is a difference in promotion and advertising. Advertising is just one form of promotion but none the less is an effective form of promotion.

Here is a site that shows you what promotion is all about. Straight from Marketing 101.
http://www.tutor2u.net/business/mark...motion_mix.asp
Old 08-29-2003, 03:40 PM

All of this talk about national exposure is well and good, but it seems that everyone is missing one very significant point. Clubs are in charge of in-the-field hands-on promotion, but there are too many indicators that club members have no real interest in bringing in and training the numbers needed. See: in http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...077&forumid=59

nascarjoee
Old 08-29-2003, 03:44 PM
J_R

southern_touch9

Ah, now that I agree with. It is one of our strong points. It could and should be the subject of promotion. My point is that when we use the term "family oriented" I believe that it brings up a different vision to the average person and is not the proper term to try and promote (or advertise).

By my definition advertising costs money, promotion costs effort. Money is harder to come by than effort, at least for most of us.

JR
Old 08-29-2003, 04:11 PM

Nascarjoe,

We see what you brought up this important point again. The issue of flyers wanting isolation is in every club that is part of the sport/hobby.

One half of the members view the club and RC as a sanctuary where they can escape family, work, and politics, and just want to sit down and BS or fly, and keep their numbers to a few select partners whom they enjoy being company with.

Then the other half feel that the whole world should be brought onto the landing field, incorporate the club, and have picnics every day, and that they need to plan large events every month and everybody has to work work work.

It takes VERY strong leadership to make both groups join together within the same organization. It is tough to draw publicity to benefit the club without threatening the security of those that value RC as their sanctuary.

Scott
Old 08-29-2003, 04:21 PM
J_R

Originally posted by nascarjoe
All of this talk about national exposure is well and good, but it seems that everyone is missing one very significant point. Clubs are in charge of in-the-field hands-on promotion, but there are too many indicators that club members have no real interest in bringing in and training the numbers needed. See: in http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...077&forumid=59

nascarjoe
Interesting thread. There is a concern among smaller clubs that if they grow, the existing members will not get enough stick time. I belong to a club of 160 in So. Calif. that had these concerns some years ago, but raised the membership limit anyway. We neither promote nor discourage new memberships. We have 5 flight stations and very rarely are more than 3 planes in the air at any one time. There are other clubs in the area that have had the same concerns and the same results when they let their memberships grow. It appears to me that the more people there are at the field, the more "hanger flying" that takes place. Modelers really are a social animals.

The problem of being "terrorized" by new members is real. It is not going to stop until either our clubs, or the AMA require flight certification of newbies. All to many are cut loose, or cut themselves loose, from their instructors before they have the proper experience to truly control their plane. This is an area where I think the AMA has an obligation to set standards, although I am sure many believe that it should be left to the clubs. The fact is, most modelers are nice guys and are not going to confront the problem. No one wants to be the bad guy that says "your not ready for solo flight yet".

Ultimately, if the fields do become too crowded, at whatever number of members, more flying sites are going to be necessary. If we have the numbers, we will be able to get the sites, if not, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. It's almost impossible to press for a new field, in an urban area, for 30 members, while if you have 400 it is another story.

JRR
Old 08-29-2003, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default :o)

Sorry Hoss but you went and purchased your own rope waxed it real good and found a very high tree your done.

Thank Goodness. Now Jim lets look to the future and make things brighter than what they are now for our sport.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:55 PM

>>>>>>>>>>
Ultimately, if the fields do become too crowded, at whatever number of members, more flying sites are going to be necessary. If we have the numbers, we will be able to get the sites, if not, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. It's almost impossible to press for a new field, in an urban area, for 30 members, while if you have 400 it is another story.
<<<<<<<<<<<

Fair point JR.

AMA must support the unlimited concept reference the 1st requirement of Leader Club status: ".... not limited to a certain number.

Jetero RC Club, Inc. (1218) a current AMA GOLD LEADER Club, owning its own facility, several years ago changed its Bylaws to eliminate a previously established cap.
We have attained our best ever growth rate this year and some exceptionally well-qualified first-class people have joined our ranks, two more just last evening. 114 strong today. Room for more.
No real complaints about $150 dues once they visit and fly there.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Dreams or Nightmares??

Originally posted by Dream_Flyer
Sorry Hoss but you went and purchased your own rope waxed it real good and found a very high tree your done.

Thank Goodness. Now Jim lets look to the future and make things brighter than what they are now for our sport.
Keep on dreaming, Baby.

Still waiting for you to answer MY questions, but not holding my breath.

One of the beautiful thing about democratic elections. The constituency has a total option to choose their own poison or a ladder up and/or a bridge across as may be needed.
Regardless of the outcome of this election, the sun will continue to rise in the East.

I don't play the chameleon thing just to satisfy what you WANT to hear. From here,you get what you see, and if you don't like it, well, at least you now have OPTIONS. That is what it is really all about.

"No guts -- No glory" and "Take No Prisoners".

Just a point for JR: Please notice your constant use of YOUR (possessive pronoun) when you're in need of the contraction of YOU ARE -- "You're". Makes me drawl!!! Thanks.

See ya'll next week end. Gotta' go cruise the Gulf for five days -- right in the middle of Hurricane Season -- now that really shows poor judgment for a future VP wanna'be!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:43 PM

The original part of the thread was not to promote more membership, but to get clubs to develop clout when they are faced with being forced out of their community.

If a club has membership caps, they can still promote, as long as they are not snotty about turning away people who ask about membership. (People being snotty in this hobby? Never!)

What is happening in this thread is the same thing that happens at club meetings. The focus turns from raising public support to protect the field to a debate over getting too many people joining the club.

What is it we are trying to determine?, How can the AMA set up a program to assist clubs to build integrity with the community while keeping with their common goals? Some clubs goal is to grow, where some just want to stay the way they are.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:14 PM
J_R

Originally posted by scottrc
The original part of the thread was not to promote more membership, but to get clubs to develop clout when they are faced with being forced out of their community.

If a club has membership caps, they can still promote, as long as they are not snotty about turning away people who ask about membership. (People being snotty in this hobby? Never!)

What is happening in this thread is the same thing that happens at club meetings. The focus turns from raising public support to protect the field to a debate over getting too many people joining the club.

What is it we are trying to determine?, How can the AMA set up a program to assist clubs to build integrity with the community while keeping with their common goals? Some clubs goal is to grow, where some just want to stay the way they are.
Take a look at the new EC Minutes on the AMA web page. This issue is being debated there as well. These issues are all linked.

http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...3ecminutes.asp

JR
Old 08-29-2003, 08:35 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Based on post #5 by Hossfly in this thread;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...37&forumid=211

Where he says that it is "their problem", I can't say I would support him to be an AMA official..