Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:42 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncman
I have been monitoring the other comments, just wanted to voice a thought. I'm sure that they will narrow it down to the MR's but until I see it in writing I'm going to fret about it, just my nature. It would be nice if they would require all purchaser's of MR's to provide proof of memebership in AMA or to join at the purchase of their MR and require their AMA number to be on the model, to me that makes sense so I doubt if that will be the outcome, what do I know anyway?
So you agree that all persons buying a gun must belong to the NRA,
Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 PM
N410DC

Just a thought. By FAA definition a Drone is any unmanned aerial system that is remotely controlled, and they are directed to find a way to register these Drones by December and the proposed cutoff weight is 2 lbs. So I have a question. Since the FAA's definition does not distinguish between fixed or rotary or multi- rotor winged aircraft will that require everyone to register their models that weigh in excess of 2 lbs. regardless of wing configuration, do I have this right or is something going on here I don't see?
Last time I checked, the DOT and FAA have not yet made a final decision regarding parameters for sUAV registration. Please cite references for the FAA's definition of "drone," and the 2 lb. "cutoff weight."
Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by porcia83
Life's to short to fret. I'm not really for anyone having to prove they belong to the AMA to buy anything, I suspect there might be just as many fliers out there not part of the AMA. I could hear the complaints now from the people who already can't find anything positive to say about the AMA...lookit this blatant money grab, etc etc etc. I do think it's a great idea for them to have their AMA number on the craft though, if they do belong. It's odd what we require people to do in order to own or even purchase some things. The town over from me requires a scanned ID to purchase BB's....yes...tiny little BBs. But I can go in and buy any type of large knife, or even a "drone" without anyone batting an eye.
If they can prove they belong to the AMA that would be some assurance's they have had exposure to an established safety program. Once again that is no guarantee of a safe operator but neither is a driver's test a guarantee of a safe driver, and if they are forced to join then they would be made aware of a safety program. As for those that don't wish to see AMA get any more money, I would rather see it go there than to another Government Agency. An AMA membership and number issuance would also be a reasonably seamless requirement to put in place, no more than a stroke of the pen and it would not impact the rest of us traditional modelers. I know I'm thinking wishfully, we have a Government Agency involved and whatever they decide we can all rest assured that it will be illogical, make no sense and be a revenue generating act for that Agency and do absolutely nothing towards mitigating the problem while burdening the law abiding citizen with overly restrictive regulations, maybe forcing us to scan our new Sig Kadet purchase right along with our BB's or worse.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:39 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by N410DC
Last time I checked, the DOT and FAA have not yet made a final decision regarding parameters for sUAV registration. Please cite references for the FAA's definition of "drone," and the 2 lb. "cutoff weight."

In my view, the FAA is pursuing the Drone's=multi rotor sUAV's , that have been constantly in the news regarding near misses with full scale aircraft Airliners and Police copters, and FireFighting Tankers. Creating huge problems in every area, airports cities, fields, mountains,city parks, you name it. Oh don't forget the White House, very very important stuff there.

Not once was a fixed wing aircraft in the RC catagory ever mentioned , because it did not happen with fixed wing RC aircraft, just the new drones that have been on the market the last year or so.
AGAIN, it is not the DRONES the FAA is trying to regulate, but the OWNERS of them, and the only possible way is to have the new buyers register the thing with serial # etc with the seller of the Drone, the seller sends the info to the FAA so they can track it to that person if something ever happens. Will that happen? who know's.
The fools that have created this mess in the beginning by violating every possible rule of Flight Safety and doing it repeatedly in almost every city in the U.S.A. Lets not forget the Privacy Issues of Trespassing, here is the other side of this alligator with Jaws wide open waiting. It never ends with these clowns.!!!
I, in my opinion do not think the FAA will ever try to regulate or have people register their Giant Scale Yak's or EXTRA's. I sure hope not, I have too many of em!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the FAA limits registration to multi-copters they are ignoring the problem with fixed wing FPV flying. A wing can fly quickly, longer, and more silently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78
Then there's the xcraft which crosses the barrier.
http://xcraft.io/
Old 10-27-2015, 07:59 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
If the FAA limits registration to multi-copters they are ignoring the problem with fixed wing FPV flying. A wing can fly quickly, longer, and more silently.
Flight : you are 100% correct. Ok, please forgive my mistake, I was all wrapped up in the drones, I forgot about the FPV thing, I am not into that , never was.
But here again those guys have to get things right and play by the rules, know what I mean? I think they are mainly concerned with Drones, multi rotor aircraft
Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Duncman

When the public and ourselves hear the word Drone we think Multi Rotor, when the media displays video of a Drone it is always a Multi Rotor so the natural assumption is that Drone is a Multi Rotor. The FAA does not see it that way, Drones are remotely controlled aircraft that are unmanned, simple with no distinction to wing configuration. I would hope that the registration requirement apply to only MR's but at this time I don't see it and that gives me concern.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by warningshot
Sir, I do not like registering my gun with my States DOJ, nor do I much care for the NRA but it is the lesser of the two evils and that is my point with registering with the FAA or the AMA. If I had my druthers nothing would be registered but that is not the real world. Whatever gets the job done with the least amount of infringement on the citizenry I am in favor of.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I ALREADY SAID THIS IN ONE OF THESE THREADS, BUT
most likely, it will not be pilots or aircraft that get registered, it will be the serial numbered flight control unit. that covers any type of aircraft use: fixed, heli, multi.
if it enables artificial stabilization, navigation and beyond LOS capability, it will be registered.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 PM
FLAPHappy

When the public and ourselves hear the word Drone we think Multi Rotor, when the media displays video of a Drone it is always a Multi Rotor so the natural assumption is that Drone is a Multi Rotor. The FAA does not see it that way, Drones are remotely controlled aircraft that are unmanned, simple with no distinction to wing configuration. I would hope that the registration requirement apply to only MR's but at this time I don't see it and that gives me concern.

Duncman: I feel exactly the same way you do. My gut feeling is they , meaning the FAA will define EXACTLY WHAT TYPE of aircraft they are talking about, but also give spec's of these aircraft. Right now we do not know anything until the Rule is out. I do not think they are concerned about Traditional RC Aircraft, for the last 50 years or so. This hobby is a Big Money dollar business , weekly, but will conduct their business of Personnel Safety of Aircraft in the Flying Public, their First concern, I agree with that, and they should! That is their JOB!
I do not think they will want every modeler to register their aircraft.......Can you just Imagine the confusion!!!!!!!!!! Serial numbers for every aircraft, NO WAY HOSE. Ain't gonna happen, relax.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by mongo
I ALREADY SAID THIS IN ONE OF THESE THREADS, BUT
most likely, it will not be pilots or aircraft that get registered, it will be the serial numbered flight control unit. that covers any type of aircraft use: fixed, heli, multi.
if it enables artificial stabilization, navigation and beyond LOS capability, it will be registered.

Mongo: Where and what info do you have on this ? I would like to see it in print.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warningshot
Grate Idea glad U thought of it.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Yup...fixed wing was doing this far earlier than MRs.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=295_1419231994

He didn't get the warm reception from the comments that I think he expected.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Rob2160

Just had to share this video..

This guy is amazing - I've seen him fly in person and he can hold a casual conversation with you while flying like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsynlKC-vn4
Old 10-28-2015, 05:20 AM
porcia83
Banned

Some of those pilots are amazing. I watch some of the heli guys at the field and I'm amazed at what they do but the helis are usually pretty close in, and of course are bigger and usually have lots of colors. These smaller quads are so quick, and sure get "small" real fast as they fly away.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:23 AM
Rob2160

Some of those pilots are amazing. I watch some of the heli guys at the field and I'm amazed at what they do but the helis are usually pretty close in, and of course are bigger and usually have lots of colors. These smaller quads are so quick, and sure get "small" real fast as they fly away.
Yes keeping orientation with a Heli is relatively easy. Flying these quads most people need different colour props on the front to help with orientation due to the symmetrical X shape. I honestly don't know how he does it with four black props.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-28-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:25 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The 3D Heli guys are also flying the quads.

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbavHsTsXPQ
Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 AM
HoundDog

Yup...fixed wing was doing this far earlier than MRs.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=295_1419231994

He didn't get the warm reception from the comments that I think he expected.
FPV is not the problem fly with in the bounds of your R/C boundaries we always have 1200' left and right and no more than that out front and limit your altitude No problem with Quads or fixed wing FPV. We all realize it's the guys fling where they are not supposed to be, that is the problem. But then I'm preaching to the Choir, I think.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
FPV is not the problem fly with in the bounds of your R/C boundaries we always have 1200' left and right and no more than that out front and limit your altitude No problem with Quads or fixed wing FPV. We all realize it's the guys fling where they are not supposed to be, that is the problem. But then I'm preaching to the Choir, I think.
Preach on preacha! Can I get an amen? It's the pilot that's the issue, not the aircraft.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEdge

Those are cool to watch, some nice fields too. This one was over on the side...talk about blurring the lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJ8TWYUedA
Old 10-28-2015, 05:39 AM
Rob2160

Yes that is impressive flying too.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 AM
HoundDog

Those are cool to watch, some nice fields too. This one was over on the side...talk about blurring the lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJ8TWYUedA
Now what do U suppose the gon-en-ment is gona require that to be registered as.... Should of had FPV too. Did U see the Foreign Registration H-KING.
Speaking of Foreign Registration What about the Snow Birds from the great white North (Canada). What's the DOT/FAA gona do about them?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:00 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Yes that is impressive flying too.
Different Strokes. At least that thing is less likely to come apart from the "G" loads ...
can't understand how helios stay together. really. But then they are fun to watch and helies too when the Impact the ground an fly into a billion pieces. Just SPC-TAC-U-LAR to say the least..
Old 10-28-2015, 06:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
In my view, the FAA is pursuing the Drone's=multi rotor sUAV's , that have been constantly in the news regarding near misses with full scale aircraft Airliners and Police copters, and FireFighting Tankers. Creating huge problems in every area, airports cities, fields, mountains,city parks, you name it. Oh don't forget the White House, very very important stuff there.

Not once was a fixed wing aircraft in the RC catagory ever mentioned , because it did not happen with fixed wing RC aircraft, just the new drones that have been on the market the last year or so.
AGAIN, it is not the DRONES the FAA is trying to regulate, but the OWNERS of them, and the only possible way is to have the new buyers register the thing with serial # etc with the seller of the Drone, the seller sends the info to the FAA so they can track it to that person if something ever happens. Will that happen? who know's.
The fools that have created this mess in the beginning by violating every possible rule of Flight Safety and doing it repeatedly in almost every city in the U.S.A. Lets not forget the Privacy Issues of Trespassing, here is the other side of this alligator with Jaws wide open waiting. It never ends with these clowns.!!!
I, in my opinion do not think the FAA will ever try to regulate or have people register their Giant Scale Yak's or EXTRA's. I sure hope not, I have too many of em!!!!!!!!!
You seem to have forgotten several instances a few years ago about using RC turbine powered jets as cruise missiles by Islamic radicals in the US, particularly the Northeast.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

If they can prove they belong to the AMA that would be some assurance's they have had exposure to an established safety program. Once again that is no guarantee of a safe operator but neither is a driver's test a guarantee of a safe driver, and if they are forced to join then they would be made aware of a safety program. As for those that don't wish to see AMA get any more money, I would rather see it go there than to another Government Agency. An AMA membership and number issuance would also be a reasonably seamless requirement to put in place, no more than a stroke of the pen and it would not impact the rest of us traditional modelers. I know I'm thinking wishfully, we have a Government Agency involved and whatever they decide we can all rest assured that it will be illogical, make no sense and be a revenue generating act for that Agency and do absolutely nothing towards mitigating the problem while burdening the law abiding citizen with overly restrictive regulations, maybe forcing us to scan our new Sig Kadet purchase right along with our BB's or worse.
What about the "Shopping Mall loophole"? You know, those guys in the aisles of shopping makls that sell heis and quads? Would BO and HC required them to check an AMA call center?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.