Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 03-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
What AMA rules did he break?

1500' - no problem as there is no AMA limit on altitude
Have you ever read the AMA rules?
in part:
(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:31 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Have you ever read the AMA rules?
in part:
(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
Yes, I mentioned (a) and (b). As for (c) I didn't see anything in the video to indicate he was within 3 mi of an airport. Did you?

Do you ever read a post you are replying to before revving up your keyboard?
Old 03-20-2015, 06:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

What we have here is a stepping stone to idiocy. It will be no different than those morons who call a semi automatic rifle with a banana mag an assault rifle. Get enough of people flying these in areas not designated for flying RC, and eventually they will get a bad rap, and trickle down, it will start to affect all of us who do follow the AMA guidelines. All it is going to take to cause major issues with RC is some jerk fly one of these into a jet engine and cause it to crash, whether it was intentional or just a stupid move, will not matter, it will cause repercussions that will affect us.

Put a frog in hot water, it will jump out, but put that frog in warm water and heat it up, it will cook. Those who ignore what this is about will be that frog in warm water with a fire under it.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by acdii
Put a frog in hot water, it will jump out, but put that frog in warm water and heat it up, it will cook. Those who ignore what this is about will be that frog in warm water with a fire under it.
... and it will taste like chicken.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:32 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=acdii;12007008]What we have here is a stepping stone to idiocy. It will be no different than those morons who call a semi automatic rifle with a banana mag an assault rifle. Get enough of people flying these in areas not designated for flying RC, and eventually they will get a bad rap, and trickle down, it will start to affect all of us who do follow the AMA guidelines. All it is going to take to cause major issues with RC is some jerk fly one of these into a jet engine and cause it to crash, whether it was intentional or just a stupid move, will not matter, it will cause repercussions that will affect us.

Put a frog in hot water, it will jump out, but put that frog in warm water and heat it up, it will cook. Those who ignore what this is about will be that frog in warm water with a fire under it.[/QUOTE]
acdii:
This is the most Intelligent thing said here on RCU in a long time. If we find fault with every thing every one else says here or in any form we are just defeating the purpose of belonging to a CBO/AMA whether U agree with said CBO/AMA or not. Together we can, hopefully at least, persuade the FAA to modify the NPRM to reflect what the AMA and Congress intended not what the FAA has professed in their interpretation of #336.
So now I'm back on the soap box so Go Comment to the NPRM only 33 days left. Get your Family and friends to comment too.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Maximilionalpha

I didn't see where he did anything wrong, at. I did however, notice those helicopters buzzing unannounced, over tops of homes and people, putting, at risk that civilian flying his quad-copter, up in Gods free sky! Screw the FAA and anyone who sides with them!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
HoundDog, there is nothing for any LEO responding to answer a citizen's complaint to charge the guy with. People don't get arrested or cited with an infraction or misdemeanor for flying in ways that get us bad public attention or generally pissing you off, but only for breaking laws. I don't see even a failure to follow safety guidance from AMA, much less break any laws. It would not be in compliance with guidance from FAA in AC 91-57, but there is no penalty for that.
Now quit restraining yourself and let it hang out if you know of anything this guy was doing that a LEO could take any action against him for. I'm not taking a stand on whether he was right or wrong flying where and when he did, just that it appears he wasn't breaking any law.

My answer regarding my reply to the NPRM is the same as it was when I told you yesterday.
Hard to tell for sure but he probably did break the AMA rule about not flying over private property, other than your own that is.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Hard to tell for sure but he probably did break the AMA rule about not flying over private property, other than your own that is.
I wasn't aware of such of an AMA rule...
Old 03-20-2015, 11:45 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fellow came out to our dry lake bed with a drone and experienced a "brown out" so he said. The drone crashed naturally but can you imagine if the same thing occurred in a residential area.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:30 AM
Maximilionalpha

It'll probably make headline news, like these did...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/03/beac...never-heard-it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ench-Alps.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/wo...iwan.html?_r=0

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ouse/20090509/

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...030-story.html
Old 03-21-2015, 05:11 AM
metaldriver

After watching said video, all I have is this. Who says(said ) this person even knows what AMA is. It seems most of the occurrences have a common thread, multicopters in a residential area or public/local community park. Any and all of us who have been in the model aircraft hobby for any length of time know and follow the rules. Common sense tells us this activity is inherently hazardous. It is the hard for me to remain calm when someone goes into a hobby shop to get a multicopter with gopro so they can video themselves and husband as they ride their motorcycle on twisty roads. And yes it did happen I was in the shop when these 2 asked for just such an item. Fortunately the shops multi coptor expert was polite but discouraged this as dangerous and reckless
Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 AM
Maximilionalpha

And what makes the video funny, is that the guy faked out the helicopter cameraman, about where he lived at. He didn't even live in that house that he was last seen walking up on the porch. Smart guy!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
And what makes the video funny, is that the guy faked out the helicopter cameraman, about where he lived at. He didn't even live in that house that he was last seen walking up on the porch. Smart guy!
He saw the helicopters and decided to do just what he did. Yes indeed he was smart, but the dumb ones were the cameramen taking this video. If they wanted to catch him, all they had to do was fly around to the front of the house and make sure that he really went into that house, or would that be an invasion of privacy????? Reguardless, he put those helicopters in danger. The only thing that's going to make these people stop doing this is an accident.......

Larry/Instructor
Old 03-21-2015, 07:37 AM
littlecrankshaf

If what you say is true then he was evading the authorities and that was not smart and makes him look like a criminal... and that stigma is not good for others unfortunately.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:46 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Condoning this behavior is exactly what is going to bring the hammer down on all RC flying, regardless of what is being flown. Are there even AMA pamphlets in the instructions for the quads like there are in the ARF and kits? Those who defend this kind of flying are not helping but hurting our hobby. Just remember, the media are nothing more than asshat sensationalists, and will take something like this and twist it in such a way to get the stupid public to rail against our kind of flying. Just remember that the media does not need to be explicit on anything as long as it fits their story line. Just like that idiot on NBC who reported he was in a chopper that was shot down when he wasn't. All it takes is some incident regarding a quad from some idiot who has no clue what AMA is or that there are even rules in place for flying RC to cause an incident, and the media outlets will run with it like banshees, and bring the stupid public into an uproar. Remember hands up don't shoot was not real but a faked story, and look at how it went.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:05 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by acdii
All it takes is some incident regarding a quad from some idiot who has no clue what AMA is or that there are even rules in place for flying RC to cause an incident, and the media outlets will run with it like banshees, and bring the stupid public into an uproar. Remember hands up don't shoot was not real but a faked story, and look at how it went.
Not sure why having a clue about AMA is relevant as paying AMA $58 dollars does not instill common sense...for every stupid thing none AMAers do there is at least a proportional amount of incidents with AMAers...Since I am an AMA member, I see lots of AMAers with less than good judgement but I find no value in sharing those stories.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Not sure why having a clue about AMA is relevant as paying AMA $58 dollars does not instill common sense...for every stupid thing none AMAers do there is at least a proportional amount of incidents with AMAers...Since I am an AMA member, I see lots of AMAers with less than good judgement but I find no value in sharing those stories.
So being an AMA member and seeing non AMA members doing things with less than good judgement is alright with you? Knowing good and well that the things you see being done, will have an effect on you sooner or later.....

Larry/Instructor
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Instructor
So being an AMA member and seeing non AMA members doing things with less than good judgement is alright with you?
Larry/Instructor
I didn't say that. Just to clarify, paying AMA $58 dollars does not instill common sense...Oh, wait I said that already...I guess you'll still read doing stupid things as an AMA is OK...LOL
Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Instructor

I didn't say that. Just to clarify, paying AMA $58 dollars does not instill common sense...Oh, wait I said that already...I guess you'll still read doing stupid things as an AMA is OK...LOL
I don't think I said anything about being an AMA member prevents you from doing stupid things. People that do stupid things will do them regardless if they belong to the AMA or not....

Larry/Instructor
Old 03-21-2015, 01:22 PM
littlecrankshaf

I don't think I said anything about being an AMA member prevents you from doing stupid things. People that do stupid things will do them regardless if they belong to the AMA or not....

Larry/Instructor
You didn't...so you agree then...paying AMA $58 dollars does not instill common sense.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Instructor

You didn't...so you agree then...paying AMA $58 dollars does not instill common sense.
Yes I agree that being an AMA member does not instill common sense, but then again if someone joins the AMA, they might be doing it to learn something instead of trying to prove something......

Larry/Instructor
Old 03-21-2015, 04:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

Yes I agree that being an AMA member does not instill common sense, but then again if someone joins the AMA, they might be doing it to learn something instead of trying to prove something......

Larry/Instructor
True enough I guess but I happen to know those that joined AMA and now spend a great deal of time teaching...So, AMA doesn't have the monopoly on knowledge either. I think most join to have a controlled place to fly as that makes them feel secure and others join to just cover their financial liability in case they cause harm to someone.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:47 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i dont belive what any one says about the drones how far can you really see one
Old 03-21-2015, 05:18 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO people join the AMA to provide them with a place to fly.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Sport_Pilot

I don't know how you know that. I assume he did live there and they asked the wrong question. Do you own a drone? No, I don't own a drone. And of course since it is actually a radio controled model aircraft, he does not own a drone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.