Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:41 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob2160
LOL, what definition of aircraft are you using? It doesn't meet the definition accepted by ICAO.

Aircraft*. Any machine that can derive support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air other than the reactions of the air against the earth’s surface.
This should be an interesting one!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Then again you can strap a bomb to it and kick it into a crowd! And it meets the definition of aircraft!

LOL, what definition of aircraft are you using? It doesn't meet the definition accepted by ICAO.

Aircraft*. Any machine that can derive support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air other than the reactions of the air against the earth’s surface.
Probably the only one that counts the FAA's.
Historically, the
FAA has considered model aircraft to be aircraft that fall within thestatutory and regulatory definitions of an aircraft, as they are contrivances or devices thatare “invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.”

I'd say that a football having a pointy end on each end and it is contrivances or devices that are “invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.” indeed meets the FAA's definitions of an aircraft, Of course that may only be in the Northern Hemisphere. Where the FAA makes up it's own definitions.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

FAA says it is any device designed to fly in the air, ballons and model airplanes are aircraft to them. So a football does fly though the air and is an aircraft. If you don't agree then maybe the FAA should instead require Frisbee's to be registered. I bet someone could attach a radio to one as well.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Tiporarefun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
How high do you guys think he had it? Perhaps 2,000 AGL? Seemed to be higher than a ground pilot flying by visual could see. Yet I didn't see he was a wearing FPV googles.
Maybe 650', extream wide angle lens doesn't help most the don't watch often!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I'll give U that even but we weren't speaking of gold but
we were comparing Lead to feathers. Quote "Which weighs more a pound of Lead or a Pound of feathers".And so we have 16 ounces to a pound and 128 ounces to a gallon ... Now how much does a Gallon weigh.
8 pounds
Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by Duncman
8 pounds
Actually more like 8.3454 pounds.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Rob2160

FAA says it is any device designed to fly in the air, ballons and model airplanes are aircraft to them. So a football does fly though the air and is an aircraft. If you don't agree then maybe the FAA should instead require Frisbee's to be registered. I bet someone could attach a radio to one as well.
From the FAA site - definition of aircraft.

A device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

I would be interested to see if there is a precedent anywhere in the world where a court has declared a football an aircraft...

Next thing you know the FAA will register all football players and the footballs will require N numbers.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-03-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

8 pounds

A gallon is a unit of volume. How much a gallon of fluid weighs depends on the density A gallon of water weighs 8.35 pounds. A gallon of lead weights 113.4 pounds. I cannot find the density of feathers.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 01-04-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

From the FAA site - definition of aircraft.

A device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

I would be interested to see if there is a precedent anywhere in the world where a court has declared a football an aircraft...

Next thing you know the FAA will register all football players and the footballs will require N numbers.
Today Obama is to announce his new gun control measures. He may require registering all bullets!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 AM
HoundDog

I'll give U that even but we weren't speaking of gold but
we were comparing Lead to feathers. Quote "Which weighs more a pound of Lead or a Pound of feathers".And so we have 16 ounces to a pound and 128 ounces to a gallon ... Now how much does a Gallon weigh.

8 pounds
Duncman
Actually more like 8.3454 pounds.

Gentleman this to is a trick question, U learned in your HS Chemistry class,for two reasons. The first thing we are talking of two different forms of measurement Dry Weight Ounces i.e. 16 oz to the pound. Second is Liquid oz 32 to a quart 128 to the gallon. The trick is what does a gallon weigh? A Gallon of WHAT is the first thing U must ask. Yes,Water is 8.3454 pounds. at sea level and 59 degrees f. Where If U fly full scale U know a gallon of gas weighs 6 Pounds and a gallon of Oil weighs 7.5 Lbs. What does a gallon of Mercury weigh?

[h=1]Mercury Conversion.[/h][h=2]Amount: 1 gallon (gal) of mercury volume
Equals: 112.95 pounds (lb) in mercury mass[/h]
Old 01-04-2016, 05:20 AM
HoundDog

Today Obama is to announce his new gun control measures. He may require registering all bullets!
U Mean U don't put your AMA info and your NEW FAA Registration on all your ammo?
What Next Register your arrows too. Can U make an R/C Controlled Arrow?

LOL!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think the military has made autonomous artillery shells, so maybe radio controlled arrows is possible.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:31 AM
HoundDog

I think the military has made autonomous artillery shells, so maybe radio controlled arrows is possible.
How about Smart Bombs from Dumb Bombs What about TOW missiles (Wire Guided) oh crap that would be control line. Anyway this is getting off track, I think.
See My post #211 in Define a Drone thread.

Note: I provided a URL so U and I are on the same track.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12155329
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Then again you can strap a bomb to it and kick it into a crowd! And it meets the definition of aircraft!

Probably the only one that counts the FAA's.
Historically, the
FAA has considered model aircraft to be aircraft that fall within thestatutory and regulatory definitions of an aircraft, as they are contrivances or devices thatare “invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.”

I'd say that a football having a pointy end on each end and it is contrivances or devices that are “invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.” indeed meets the FAA's definitions of an aircraft, Of course that may only be in the Northern Hemisphere. Where the FAA makes up it's own definitions.
By your stupid analogy a bullet also flies in the air. It's ballistic trajectory, geez.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
By your stupid analogy a bullet also flies in the air. It's ballistic trajectory, geez.
Yes but the FAA said fly through the air so that meets the definition. See definition 3 below.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fly
Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 AM
HoundDog

rgburrill;
Who asked U. I know it's stupid but so are people that don't trace a thread back to it Origin so they know from where a comment comes. I was goofing with Sport_pilot & Rob2160 .
Just forget about replying to any of my comments PLZ. I'm tired of having to explain a Joke. Thank U In advance.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes but that meets the definition.

3. To move or be sent through the air with great speed: bullets flying in every direction; a plate that flew from my hands when I stumbled.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 AM
HoundDog

Yes but the FAA said fly through the air so that meets the definition. See definition 3 below.

Thank U Sport_Pilot Does the Name mean U Posses a Sport Pilot Certificate from the FAA or does it mean something else?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

The name dates back to the early 90's when I was flying full scale, and decided it was such poor transportation I would only fly for sport. I just kept it when getting back to RC in the late 90's.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

The name dates back to the early 90's when I was flying full scale, and decided it was such poor transportation I would only fly for sport. I just kept it when getting back to RC in the late 90's. I think I used it before they had a sport pilot certificate. I have a private pilot certificate and tried instrument rating but decided it was too dangerous for such poor transportation.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Duncman

$5.00 a bullet registration, no bigee, but that damn "N" number will be a b@#$h!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Duncman

A gallon is a unit of volume. How much a gallon of fluid weighs depends on the density A gallon of water weighs 8.35 pounds. A gallon of lead weights 113.4 pounds. I cannot find the density of feathers.
Just answered the question, and I did give the precise weight of water in the following post. I'm not to sure about the value any of this has but it is a bit of fun.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I guess you missed the photo of the helicopter with the bird through the windscreen (approx. 120kias), and the small commuter plane with the bird through the windscreen (maybe 250kias)?
Hardly happens enough to register all toys. What next footballs?
So Sport , I take this as your backdoor admission of the fact that one of our "toys" in a similar situation wouldn't "just bounce off like a bug on your car's windshield" as you've asserted in this and a couple other threads ? Nice to see you finally accept the fact that in spite of names like "Stratofortress" and nicknames like "Flying Boxcar" , these things structures are in grave peril when anything more than air & water hit them .
Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This weight density discussions will be handy if I decide to start balancing my models with Gold ,instead of Lead , or feathers ! :P
Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
So Sport , I take this as your backdoor admission of the fact that one of our "toys" in a similar situation wouldn't "just bounce off like a bug on your car's windshield" as you've asserted in this and a couple other threads ? Nice to see you finally accept the fact that in spite of names like "Stratofortress" and nicknames like "Flying Boxcar" , these things structures are in grave peril when anything more than air & water hit them .
I have never said they won't cause any damage. I did not see one example of damage that would cause a fatality, and you know what, a fatality from any bird strike is extremely rare. And a bird strike itself is rare compared to the trillions of birds out there. Only a few million drones and model airplanes.

The point is this is no emergency and only a grab for control and money. There is no logical reason to register model airplanes or any sUAV intended to fly outside navigable airspace..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.