Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Here we go!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Here we go!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:25 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Here we go!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2069079

There was just such a law attached to a bill right here in CO, the "Sticks" if you will. So open areas are threatened as well. Thankfully AMA and local clubs found out and were able to get the model aircraft portion of the bill removed. This is going to get ugly I believe, as long as these ignorant politicians are creating policy based on fear mongering.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 AM
JW0311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the general public capable of making the distinction between "drone" and model airplane? Like you, I fear that fear mongering, will drive policy. What do I tell people when they ask? Is it the camera, the physical characteristics of the craft, the reason for the flight, money or a combination of all, or is that too much for the general public to grasp. I see that the AMA is trying to get the education out, but is it too little too late? It's going to be difficult to stand against the tidal wave of public opinion.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 AM
vertical grimmace

The main difference to me is FPV versus line of sight flying. A fixed wing, line of sight model, for sure is not a "drone".
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More fear-mongering and knee-jerk reactions. The MSM started all of this by brainwashing the sheeple using the term "drone" . Now some sheeple are scared and want their masters to do something and there is a never ending supply of politicians who want to make a name for themselves by proposing knee-jerk reaction legislation to "protect" the populous.
Nonsense! There are existing laws on the books in all major cities and towns that cover the few credit-card morons who fly irresponsibly . Simply charge them and fine them accordingly using existing laws. We don't need any new laws or regulations !!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 AM
vertical grimmace

This is happening fast. There is a bill in New York, banning model aircraft flight. That one most likely will pass. Whats next? The CO legislation was thrown out, but it was attempted.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Merica.
Limit , take away the rights and privileges of some so others can feel safe. Problem is most of the sheeple complaining don't realize how much has been taken away from them already under the guise of "keeping you safe".
Old 01-18-2015, 08:26 AM
vertical grimmace

It is not the country my grandfather fought for in WW2 that is for sure. Add this to everything else I see, and I feel we are on a serious downward slope.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:32 AM
JW0311

Those that are willing to trade freedom for security deserve neither. A law does not provide security and never will. I'm still nagged by the thought that if some of these folks were educated as to the dangers, they would be much more responsible with how and were they fly.Maybe it's wishful thinking.

James
Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by JW0311
Those that are willing to trade freedom for security deserve neither. A law does not provide security and never will. I'm still nagged by the thought that if some of these folks were educated as to the dangers, they would be much more responsible with how and were they fly.Maybe it's wishful thinking.

James
Yep, we can hope to instill "responsibility" either by rule of law and/or education but accountability requires neither... I am sure true accountability provides the greatest deterrent for irresponsibility...never have figured why so many people have trouble understanding that.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
It is not the country my grandfather fought for in WW2 that is for sure. Add this to everything else I see, and I feel we are on a serious downward slope.
You got that right V.G. It's not even the country that for some 4 years (late ''50s and early '60s) at least 12-15 days a month, I set in an ALERT barracks just waiting for the horn that would get me into that B-47 all loaded with Thermo-Nukes and for which we SAC aircrew were tested day after day to ensure we were up to 100% ready to go. I was either on Alert at home base (Hunter AFB), Morroco, or Spain. Many others were sitting all around the globe. Now, American fighting men are sent every day into a fight that they cannot win because of horribly stupid political laws that only ensure that our young volunteers are not allowed to win, just die or be crippled for the remainder of their lives.
Yes, we are on the downward slopes which are carrying us to the CLIFF's edge.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:55 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Now, American fighting men are sent every day into a fight that they cannot win because of horribly stupid political laws that only ensure that our young volunteers are not allowed to win, just die or be crippled for the remainder of their lives.
Yes, we are on the downward slopes which are carrying us to the CLIFF's edge.
Shameful reality and you are indeed correct...We need to ask; how did we actually get here?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 AM
JW0311

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Yep, we can hope to instill "responsibility" either by rule of law and/or education but accountability requires neither... I am sure true accountability provides the greatest deterrent for irresponsibility...never have figured why so many people have trouble understanding that.

How does one teach accountability? Or is it even possible? It should be obvious to these folks that how and where they are flying is dangerous. Do they not realize it or do they not care? I had a conversation with a psychology professor once. I asked her, at what point in our education system do we teach critical thinking. She told me, and this was about a year ago, that we begin teaching this skill in graduate school. In the US we don't teach critical thinking until graduate school. I was floored. Is this part of our problem? We are not able to think past what we are doing right now. I want to believe that some of these folks will wake up and give some thought to what they are doing. Again, maybe wishful thinking.

James
Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
vertical grimmace

What I see from the politicians is not even an honest attempt to make us safe, BUT am opportunity so seize power at every opportunity.

This UAV issue is about certain people, in a position to make a lot of money and keeping other out. Why is it that the FAA is so quick to make any commercial use vehicle have an "N" number?

Back to the haves, and have nots. Money and power. I really wish the populace could take back our Gov., but I think it is too late.

My state legalized pot, passed more restrictive gun laws, is giving the cops drones, and taking my model airplanes away. I am confused. What is right and wrong anymore?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JW0311
How does one teach accountability? Or is it even possible? It should be obvious to these folks that how and where they are flying is dangerous. Do they not realize it or do they not care? I had a conversation with a psychology professor once. I asked her, at what point in our education system do we teach critical thinking. She told me, and this was about a year ago, that we begin teaching this skill in graduate school. In the US we don't teach critical thinking until graduate school. I was floored. Is this part of our problem? We are not able to think past what we are doing right now. I want to believe that some of these folks will wake up and give some thought to what they are doing. Again, maybe wishful thinking.

James
You don't teach "accountability"...accountability teaches responsibility and responsibility deters negligent acts, which is what we are talking about mostly here. I find very little difference between willful and negligence actions in regards to harming others.

The problem we have now is that there is far too little accountability and what little accountability there is is often mitigated by some monatary retribution.

I am firm on personal accountability...that means in the most simple terms, the offender pays with his hide and his money, however financed, can't protect him...
Old 01-18-2015, 10:46 AM
JW0311

You don't teach "accountability"...accountability teaches responsibility and responsibility deters negligent acts, which is what we are talking about mostly here. I find very little difference between willful and negligence actions in regards to harming others.

The problem we have now is that there is far too little accountability and what little accountability there is is often mitigated by some monatary retribution.

I am firm on personal accountability...that means in the most simple terms, the offender pays with his hide and his money, however financed, can't protect him...
I'm in agreement with you. I guess my question is can we do somthing to keep it from getting to that point? Would education help? I would agree that the line between wilful and negligence is very thin given the end result is the same. I guess I'm trying to be compassionate by trying to think of a way to educate these folks. I believe that there are so many great and productive uses for drones and I would hate to see it all go away because of fear and a few irresponsible people...........Have you ever had that feeling that you just answered your own question?

James
Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 AM
vertical grimmace

There is no accountability at the top, so how can we expect it to be anywhere else? I have the same problem at work. No discipline, no accountability. From the top down. When you try to instill any of it, you are considered a jerk, or too hard. One of the reasons quality is getting so poor, from customer service to the products we purchase.

Accountability from the schools! Not the public schools. There is none there to be found.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:27 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

100% agreement. It's not the country I spent 22+ years in uniform for, that's for sure!!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 PM
littlecrankshaf

There is no accountability at the top, so how can we expect it to be anywhere else? I have the same problem at work. No discipline, no accountability. From the top down. When you try to instill any of it, you are considered a jerk, or too hard. One of the reasons quality is getting so poor, from customer service to the products we purchase.

Accountability from the schools! Not the public schools. There is none there to be found.
You got that right for sure. I've long said that the "top" should be held accountable to a much greater degree...maybe by a factor of 3 or even 10 times for authorities of our law/justice system... Yet over and over they skate while lower principals or subordinates get far greater punishments than the top tier.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 AM
phlpsfrnk

Wow crank, I think that may be one of the most profound things you've ever said. Totally agree and teaching it should start with the children by their parents and continue with their teachers, not be postponed till graduate school or the penal system.

Frank
Old 01-20-2015, 04:36 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the proper term is
"spare the rod, spoil the child"
we are now living the results of a generation, or so, raised without the "rod"