Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Proposed Drone Law in California

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Proposed Drone Law in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Tim.
How many members and clubs are they up to now...?
Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
It happens when folks take things personally and get away from the topic at hand.
Pointing fingers are we? Why not look in the mirror?

Mike
Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 PM
TimJ

I don't know exact numbers, but here's my educated guess:

PP fields around 1,100
PP Members around 2,700

Again, I don't have exact numbers for that, but if you would like better exacting numbers, I would suggest calling your local AVP, VP or Muncie head office.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:01 PM
combatpigg

That's quite the ratio of PPP flyers to PPP club fields...!
Imagine what the club meetings must be like...lol.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:08 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
OH FOR THE LOVE GOD! Stop with the pissing contest.

Here are the facts;
2011, Park Pilot lost money for the AMA.
2012 Park Pilot lost money for the AMA.
2013, Park Pilot lost money for the AMA.
2014 Park Pilot gained money for the AMA.

This is the simple truth. No agenda. No twisting. This is simply going by the financial statements provided by AMA's independent auditor.
And what is your other question?..........

Can we now get back to the topic that actually mattered....
Are you speaking of the Park Pilot PROGRAM (direct cost and opportunity cost) or jusr the direct cost of publishing the magazine?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:13 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Pointing fingers are we? Why not look in the mirror?

Mike
Made a general comment, didn't point anyone out nor exclude myself, but don't let that get in the way of yet another personal attack. I'll try to add to the thread, you do what you want.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Are you speaking of the Park Pilot PROGRAM (direct cost and opportunity cost) or jusr the direct cost of publishing the magazine?
That is a good question. There is the cost of the program, and the cost of the magazine, and then the returns on both of those.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:25 PM
rcmiket

'Made a general comment, didn't point anyone out nor exclude myself, but don't let that get in the way of yet another personal attack. I'll try to add to the thread, you do what you want."

Not a personal attack just a observation

Mike. .

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-30-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I just did a quick search and found a thread at another model aviation forum dated 2010.
As of 2010 the PPP had 1107 members.
IIRC, the initial start up cost of the PPP was well into six figures and that figure was reported here.
Five year old hearsay, impressive.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:07 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Did someone just "cut the cheese" in here...?
Sorry I was gone for a few hours. I took a walk through the woods and marked out 10 more "Flying Fields" that the PPP can claim in their membership statistics.
LOL.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:18 PM
TimJ

I don't know about the membership numbers.

The first year the PPP was instated, approximately $109,000 dollars was spent just on the magazine. That same year the marketing budget jumped approximately $200,000 for the year.

To put this in perspective, the AMA spent approximately 1.5 percent of the Annual AMA budget to get PPP established the first year.

Now, what to think about. Some may call this a failure. It is only failure if something is not done to try to bring in new members. Some may not agree with this decision, but at least action was taken and an attempt was made. At the end of the day, the only real way they [AMA] could have failed is by not taking any action.

So if you don't agree with actions of the AMA, run for office and change things up if you think you can do things better than the current administration.

Last edited by TimJ; 09-30-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 PM
rcmiket

"So if you don't agree with actions of the AMA, run for office"

Actually if enough voiced their opinion to the people we elected and they followed the members wishes it would not be necessary.
I think what we have is a bunch of people just wanting to fly and the AMA is a necessity to do so. They could care less about the day to day of the organization.

Mike
Old 09-30-2015, 05:34 PM
TimJ

Actually if enough voiced their opinion to the people we elected and they followed the members wishes it would not be necessary.
I think what we have is a bunch of people just wanting to fly and the AMA is a necessity to do so. They could care less about the day to day of the organization.

Mike
I can agree with that. I see this from a club board position I currently hold.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 PM
rcmiket

I can agree with that. I see this from a club board position I currently hold.
Being a Club Board member myself I can sympathize.

Mike.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
Don't play this guy's game, he is just looking for attention.
Agreed. I do like to give folks the benefit of the doubt in an opportunity to redeem them self, but it's clear this individual can't cite anything other than five year old third party hearsay as a reference. You'd think since the AMA is a 501 organization legally required to report their financials he could at least look them up and analyze them and form his own opinion, but that's simply not the case here. He's just believing what he read on the Internet and investing his ego in his position. It's almost time for the ignore button.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:58 PM
combatpigg

All you needed to do to perform your own "Open Air Market Analysis" [feasibility study] is to go on some drives through the parks, playgrounds, vacant lots, etc throughout the USA. and look for signs of pre-existing "PPP Activity".
The AMA took the Lazy Man's Approach and went by Park Flyer sales figures which are misleading. If you went by the Cox .049 sales figures of 50 years ago, you would have been mislead, thinking that their products were a very common, every day sight to see on your typical playground [which they weren't].
I'll venture a guess that more AMA members.witnessed the recent lunar eclipse than those who have ever witnessed any sort of PPP Activity [by non AMA members] first hand.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The first year the PPP was instated, approximately $109,000 dollars was spent just on the magazine. That same year the marketing budget jumped approximately $200,000 for the year.

To put this in perspective, the AMA spent approximately 1.5 percent of the Annual AMA budget to get PPP established the first year.

Now, what to think about. Some may call this a failure. It is only failure if something is not done to try to bring in new members. Some may not agree with this decision, but at least action was taken and an attempt was made. At the end of the day, the only real way they [AMA] could have failed is by not taking any action.

So if you don't agree with actions of the AMA, run for office and change things up if you think you can do things better than the current administration.
Well said TimJ. If every business offering returned a profit the day it was launched we'd all be doing it. Those with business knowledge and experience realize many new offerings can take some time to become profitable. This is what separates the experienced from the inexperienced when it comes to business.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
So how do you know they're not following their members' wishes?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:26 PM
combatpigg

In an age where well established, privately owned magazines are going out of business it is remarkable that the PPP mag with only a 2700 circulation can not only make it, but also command high enough advertising rates to afford to pay full time staff, publishing costs, postage, etc. with only $81,000 in dues up front.
How many privately owned businesses [in the Real World with no safety net] would be foolish enough to pursue something that looks as bleak as this...?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 PM
combatpigg

$309,000 = X of 1.5% annual budget
$309,000= X times .015
$309,000 / .015 = X
$20.6 Million annual budget = X....[!]
$20,6 / 150,000 members = $137 per member spent......that's impressive...!

I'm surprised our crispy "business expert" allowed the obvious fallacy with these numbers to slip past his signature, sanctimonious review with such incompetent ease.

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-01-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
$309,000 = X of 1.5% annual budget
$309,000= X times .015
$309,000 / .015 = X
$20.6 Million annual budget = X....[!]
$20,6 / 150,000 members = $137 per member spent......that's impressive...!

I'm surprised our crispy "business expert" allowed the obvious fallacy with these numbers to slip past his signature, sanctimonious review with such incompetent ease.
More numbers with no reference to where they came from.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:40 AM
rcmiket

So how do you know they're not following their members' wishes?
Good question. Membership numbers over the next few years will answer that question once and for all. Now next years numbers will look great due to members jumping on the option of renewing at the old rate.
My interaction with locals (and other modelers nationwide I know) along with what going on in the threads ( you don't have to look very hard to see that) seem to indicate the organization involved in something that a number of members are questioning.

Mike
Old 10-01-2015, 02:41 AM
rcmiket

Well said TimJ. If every business offering returned a profit the day it was launched we'd all be doing it. Those with business knowledge and experience realize many new offerings can take some time to become profitable. This is what separates the experienced from the inexperienced when it comes to business.
The AMA is not a business.

Mike.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:37 AM
combatpigg

More numbers with no reference to where they came from.
Since according to you, obtaining the "Real numbers" is like picking up a loaf of bread, why don't you lead by example...?

I stated that the PPP spent A LOT per each member and I'm still waiting for you to disprove it after you challenged the accuracy / integrity of that statement.
It's on you now, Hot Shot.

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-01-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:46 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Looks like this thread is MOOT since Jerry Brown vetoed the bill reason it would cause way too much litigation ... Would've figured that Jerry was a Republican with that reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.