Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 PM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinny Bob
OK everyone, why do most of us belong to the AMA?, INSURANCE! right? This may sound stupid to a lot of you but, what if someone who knows of a law firm who might consider covering the membership with the same coverage that AMA does with the same currant fee structure. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Skinny Bob
I have two planes that top out an 100mph, and the best local site where I can fly these safely is my club site, which require AMA membership. Membership grants one access to dozens of good flying sites. If you want to stick to park fliers and other backyard/ballpark aircraft, then you don't need a flying site such as this.

Anyone who believes that their homeworkers insurance will cover injury or death from a radio controlled aircraft needs to read the fine print in their policy, and/or ask there carrier or broker about this particular issue. Nowadays, virtually every insurance policy is unique to the person(s) who are insured. Just because someone here on RCG had a claim paid by their homeowners insurance does not mean that your insurance company will do the same if you file a claim.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Nice try but Santa Sled ain't Radio Controlled. The Sled is a man carrying aerial vehicle and it's got an Xponder w/ Alt Encoder and ADS-B too. So NORAD ( do they still exist?) can track him. I'll bet it's got Night Vision and Flier for when the weather get's really bad. What ya think?
What is his "N" number? :-)
Old 12-19-2015, 08:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N410DC
I have two planes that top out an 100mph, and the best local site where I can fly these safely is my club site, which require AMA membership. Membership grants one access to dozens of good flying sites. If you want to stick to park fliers and other backyard/ballpark aircraft, then you don't need a flying site such as this.

Anyone who believes that their homeworkers insurance will cover injury or death from a radio controlled aircraft needs to read the fine print in their policy, and/or ask there carrier or broker about this particular issue. Nowadays, virtually every insurance policy is unique to the person(s) who are insured. Just because someone here on RCG had a claim paid by their homeowners insurance does not mean that your insurance company will do the same if you file a claim.I had to get a rider on my American Family Home Owners still hope I never have to find out if it's any good.

N1225CK That's DEC 25th Cris Kringle.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:43 PM
cj_rumley

(snipped)

Anyone who believes that their homeworkers insurance will cover injury or death from a radio controlled aircraft needs to read the fine print in their policy, and/or ask there carrier or broker about this particular issue. Nowadays, virtually every insurance policy is unique to the person(s) who are insured. Just because someone here on RCG had a claim paid by their homeowners insurance does not mean that your insurance company will do the same if you file a claim.
Nonsense. Most liability claims that find their way to AMA are settled by respondents' HO providers - Ask AMA. The fine print in my HO, which like most follows ISO guidelines, excludes only carrying of human passengers; exclusions in the AMA insurance will fill pages.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:46 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You suppose we, in the hobby at least, could STOP using the term DRONE!!!!!!!! The autonomous nature of an actual DRONE is what has thrown those who don't understand what we do off the deed end of paranoia. Although a very very small number of actual DRONES may be being flown by hobbyists, the vast majority are simply multi rotor or quads, needing a pilot and flown visually. Sure they have stabilization, but they do not as a rule "fly a per-programmed flight path autonomously".

The Government is far more involved in DRONE flight. Regulate yourself. I'd be far more worried about some mentally unstable military DRONE pilot putting together his own "mission". While unlikely, a bigger threat to more people than our little craft.

Also, IMO, the AMA is not the enemy. If the representation they have provided is not good enough, then why not press for new representation. Why not do a search among the members for the best negotiators and legal advisers among us, for more competent representation?

Last edited by ram3500-RCU; 12-19-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Where do you get your information about insurance policies? Almost every insurance policy issue for auto and homeowners is a standard ISO policy that is almost identical. Virtually every department of insurance across the country approves it. Here is an H/O 3 form that although dated, probably reads almost identical to a policy everyone has on their house right now assuming it is insured. You can always add riders to increase liability limits,chose different deductibles, and endorsements for other coverage as well. To indicate that policies are tailor made to people and to intimate that the coverage wouldn't pay for a loss at an RC field is misinformation. You did however indicate they should check with their agent or broker, who will luckily tell them they would be covered (fact dependent as intentional acts are not typically covered).

http://www.iii.org/sites/default/fil...HO3_sample.pdf

Last edited by porcia83; 12-19-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
You suppose we, in the hobby at least, could STOP using the term DRONE!!!!!!!! The autonomous nature of an actual DRONE is what has thrown those who don't understand what we do off the deed end of paranoia. Although a very very small number of actual DRONES may be being flown by hobbyists, the vast majority are simply multi rotor or quads, needing a pilot and flown visually. Sure they have stabilization, but they do not "fly a per-programmed flight path autonomously". The Government is far more involved in DRONE flight. Regulate yourself. I'd be far more worried about some mentally unstable military DRONE pilot putting together his own "mission". While unlikely, a bigger threat to more people than our little craft.
Probably because it doesn't matter what you or I or the next guy calls his aircraft. It's all irrelevant, as is every wiki definition, and dictionary definition that's posted up. Why isn't it clear to everyone yet that the FAA decided that all for us? Ironically, the heli was the first multi rotor to hit the market, it beat any RC "drone" to the market decades and decades ago.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Nonsense. Most liability claims that find their way to AMA are settled by respondents' HO providers - Ask AMA. The fine print in my HO, which like most follows ISO guidelines, excludes only carrying of human passengers; exclusions in the AMA insurance will fill pages.
Their claim payments each year would seem to indicate those exclusions aren't triggered. Every policy has exclusions .....got any specific examples where the AMA denied coverage, and what the exclusion was that triggered the denial?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

N1225CK That's DEC 25th Cris Kringle.
ha, good one!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Probably because it doesn't matter what you or I or the next guy calls his aircraft. It's all irrelevant, as is every wiki definition, and dictionary definition that's posted up. Why isn't it clear to everyone yet that the FAA decided that all for us? Ironically, the heli was the first multi rotor to hit the market, it beat any RC "drone" to the market decades and decades ago.
Because the DRONE got all it's reputation for spying and as a weapon platform from how the military use them. What we fly are very different flying machines and should not be confused with the military DRONE that makes regular appearances in the news and Hollywood. The public needs to understand that what we fly is in no way the threat that a military DRONE is.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

Because the DRONE got all it's reputation for spying and as a weapon platform from how the military use them. What we fly are very different flying machines and should not be confused with the military DRONE that makes regular appearances in the news and Hollywood. The public needs to understand that what we fly is in no way the threat that a military DRONE is.
I think the public knows the differnce between a mall kiosk purchased "drone", from a DVI Phantom to an aircraft that shoots tanks with Hellfires. There have been numerous attempts to explain all types of multirotor types, and fixed winged too. It might be difficult for a group of 180k people to change the minds of the American people ( and politicians too). Heck it's even difficult to get everyone here in agreement.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:27 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
Their claim payments each year would seem to indicate those exclusions aren't triggered. Every policy has exclusions .....got any specific examples where the AMA denied coverage, and what the exclusion was that triggered the denial?
No, I don't. Do you have any specific examples of claims paid by AMA that they were not obligated to pay by the terms of the insurance contract, as you infer they have?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

What a weird and not apples to apples question. Here's what I know, both H/O and AMA coverage pay out claims according to the terms of their policy. They are not in the business of paying claims they are not obligated too, as most would assume. I know of one specific claim where both paid out on the same claim after the underlying limits of the h/o policy were exhausted. Although not common, carriers will make payments on claims they are not required to for business reasons, that most often times being legal expenses.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:01 AM
HoundDog

You suppose we, in the hobby at least, could STOP using the term DRONE!!!!!!!! The autonomous nature of an actual DRONE is what has thrown those who don't understand what we do off the deed end of paranoia. Although a very very small number of actual DRONES may be being flown by hobbyists, the vast majority are simply multi rotor or quads, needing a pilot and flown visually. Sure they have stabilization, but they do not as a rule "fly a per-programmed flight path autonomously".

The Government is far more involved in DRONE flight. Regulate yourself. I'd be far more worried about some mentally unstable military DRONE pilot putting together his own "mission". While unlikely, a bigger threat to more people than our little craft.

Also, IMO, the AMA is not the enemy. If the representation they have provided is not good enough, then why not press for new representation. Why not do a search among the members for the best negotiators and legal advisers among us, for more competent representation?
OK boys No more
DRONES
they are
Quads
from now on. Agreed?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:14 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I would like to see some real data from the ama on how many member claims were settled fully and partially utilizing the ama insurance. I have to agree that number is very low.
Would also like to see how many clubs had claims settled using the ama.
As members shouldn't that info be available to us ?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I would like to see some real data from the ama on how many member claims were settled fully and partially utilizing the ama insurance. I have to agree that number is very low.
So you don't know what the number is, but you know it's very low.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:24 AM
rcmiket

They are "self insured" up to X amount of dollars. Then the actual policy kicks in. What X amount is I have no clue. There's a bunch of stuff that should be available to members but that's not happening.

Mike
Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 AM
HoundDog

Nope it appears it ain't available to the Rank and file. Besides that might now fall under HIPA laws today.There was a forum a couple of years ago and it came to nothing if I remember correctly.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:54 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
They are "self insured" up to X amount of dollars. Then the actual policy kicks in. What X amount is I have no clue. There's a bunch of stuff that should be available to members but that's not happening.

Mike
Ya It might be nice but Completely Unnecessary for the rank and file. Why? Why should any of that info be available to the rank and file ... If U and your neighbor both belong to let's say American Family why should he be able to see what they might have paid U for a claim U made. Same with the AMA especially if, like many believe, they are just an "Insurance Company". Besides Like I mentioned in another thread it is probably against the HIPA laws to even divulge that info cause it is paid to Individuals for mostly medical payments.
Just saying.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:04 AM
cj_rumley

Mike
X is $250,000, unless it has changed recently.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Insurance settlements are generally kept confidential.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
And why do you think they are self-insured up to a certain dollar value? Have you priced primary insurance with equivalent coverage the AMA provides?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:23 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
And why do you think they are self-insured up to a certain dollar value? Have you priced primary insurance with equivalent coverage the AMA provides?
I know why I was just letting him know they were.

Mike
Old 12-20-2015, 07:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Nope it appears it ain't available to the Rank and file. Besides that might now fall under HIPA laws today.There was a forum a couple of years ago and it came to nothing if I remember correctly.
Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Insurance settlements are generally kept confidential.
This is just another point of contention those dissatisfied with the AMA will bring up to complain about. "A bunch of stuff that should be available"....the list would never be enough if the AMA ever tried to satisfy some. It would be endless, and never enough detail. I don't know how much the AMA pays to have their offices cleaned each day, nor how much their landscaping bill is, or how much the paid last year to have a plumber unclog the drains. So what? Being a member doesn't entitle any one of us to have access to every record they have, simple as that. You want to know more, get involved by doing more than second guess every step they take by posting online. Get involved and be part of the committees that deal with those issues, then you'll be in the know. So many people though have one excuse after another as to why they can't. Not one person in senior positions in the AMA, elected or not, just showed up one day and say hey, that position looks good, I'll take it. Follow the history of each of them......

As noted above, settlements are reached and releases signed, almost all will have confidentiality and non disclosure language in them. Just because we all don't know the details of every case, or may not know of one personally, doesn't mean they are happening. Self insured or not, an insurance carrier will be handling the matter, and all of them are heavily regulated by the states they do business in. Any widespread abuses are rare.

To HD's point, HIPAA doesn't really come into play here, that deals more with specific medical issues and folk's personal identifiable information (ssn, dob, etc). That info is rarely in settlement documents.

The people at the AMA who deal with claims know about the claims, and the underwriters know about the claims, and the carriers know about the claims, that's who needs to know about the claims.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

If U Believe that All the AMA provides is insurance U might as well go fly in a public Park. Think about it for a while U Just might come up with many many benefits other than Insurance.
Better bring your papers. I am sure the FAA has notified the park rangers.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

doubt it....The National Parks are well aware of this, but not every town or city is going to be aware of this. Of course many already have rules/regs on the books dealing with these issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.