Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1974
You can rest easy; I do not fly close to any spaceships. lol. I also do not fly near any commercial airliners. Actually I do not fly around other aircraft at all. A danger to MTR/MOA? What? I'm not even close to restricted airspace where I fly. I fly in Class E airspace off the top of various hills that allow for 10's of miles of visibility. The airlines that fly in the general area are at 20,000+. Closest towered airport is 45 miles away. You can try and make my flying out to be reckless or dangerous all you want, but In the end, words on a piece of paper cannot make it so.

To address your flyaway and helicopter concerns.

We have 1, yes 1 helicopter that occasionally flies in our area. It is a rescue helicopter and I have talked to the pilot about the altitudes they fly and the areas they cover. Yes, I'm so unsafe and reckless that I reached out to the pilot so as to be proactive in making my flights as safe as possible.

As for flyaways, unless there is a malfuntion with my flight controller itself, it won't fly away. If radio link is lost it will return to home at 350ft and circle home GPS position. If battery gets to low, it will RTH at 350ft and circle GPS home position. My max altitude is set for 1500ft, so it will not exceed that. My max distance is set at 2.5 miles, again it will turn around and head the opposite direction if 2.5 miles is exceeded. If my TAS (I have a pitot + GPS)exceeds 65kts it will cut the motor until 65< is achieved (average speed is 18-30kts unless diving). If I have a battery failure and the foam glider goes down, don't worry, there is nothing but trees where I fly.

"Unlawful BLOS jaunts". Dude just stop. I'm not taking a 10lb MR 1000' above State College and cruising around people, buildings, highways, airports, etc. Stop looking at black and white letters and take a look at reality instead of words on paper. Again, how many people have died from FPV?

Struck a nerve so it appears...

For the record, you're violating both CBO safety guidelines and PL112-95 section 336; you know it, and you're doing it anyway because YOU decided it's safe?
Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 AM
franklin_m

Yes, I'm so unsafe and reckless that I reached out to the pilot so as to be proactive in making my flights as safe as possible.
If it's so safe, why don't you also reach out to your local FAA flight standards office and tell them the same thing? Maybe you can tell them how you've appointed yourself as adjudicator of what's safe and what's not in the airspace they regulate. I'll bet they'd be very interested.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:33 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quit feeding the troll guys.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Jaybird

Registered last night. Quite easy. Moving on.

Jaybird
Old 01-15-2016, 11:58 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Not nice Tim !

Gee , I didn't call you a troll once when you asked me some weird question about my phone and then wouldn't say why you wanted to know ?

So what gives you the right to call anyone here a troll , when just last night you engaged in what I'd call trolling behavior yourself ?

And as to the general theme of a few of the previous posts , yes sir , a bit of just one thing would really spruce things up around here quite nicely ;

Respect for the fact that people's thoughts don't all come from the same cookie cutter ......
Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Struck a nerve so it appears...

For the record, you're violating both CBO safety guidelines and PL112-95 section 336; you know it, and you're doing it anyway because YOU decided it's safe?
If it's so safe, why don't you also reach out to your local FAA flight standards office and tell them the same thing? Maybe you can tell them how you've appointed yourself as adjudicator of what's safe and what's not in the airspace they regulate. I'll bet they'd be very interested.
Ummm.......no sir, you did not hit a nerve. lol. I'm in a great mood. Why would I call an FSDO? What is the point of that? If it's so dangerous, why has nothing happened in the 8-10 years FPV has been around? You sir, are the one trying to regulate a problem that does not even exist; i'm just trying to enjoy a hobby and technology.

Last edited by mike1974; 01-15-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:27 PM
mike1974

I hope you are not talking to me! I have been honest with my posts.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:46 PM
franklin_m

Ummm.......no sir, you did not hit a nerve. lol. I'm in a great mood. Why would I call an FSDO? What is the point of that? If it's so dangerous, why has nothing happened in the 8-10 years FPV has been around? You sir, are the one trying to regulate a problem that does not even exist; i'm just trying to enjoy a hobby and technology.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's not me that regulates BLOS, it's the FAA and the AMA - one by law and the other by rule. Both of which you agreed to follow as a condition of registration or membership respectively.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:56 PM
mike1974

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's not me that regulates BLOS, it's the FAA and the AMA - one by law and the other by rule. Both of which you agreed to follow as a condition of registration or membership respectively.
I understand "you" are not doing it , but you certainly support and lobby for it. Can you please answer my question? If FPV is so dangerous, why has nothing happened in the 8-10 years FPV has been around?

What does hit a nerve is being called a troll (not by you). My opinion might not be popular here, but I am posting what I honestly believe just as you guys are doing and that does not make me a troll. I'm not trying to get anyone worked up or pissed off.

With that said, I hope you all have a great, safe weekend!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:57 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, the AMA has nothing to do with BLOS.

Your comments about the scale rules are ridiculous as well. You can place the number inside the plane. Behind a hatch or something. But I will not go to any such effort to facilitate this dog and pony show. There has been no threat, and there is no threat with LOS models. If I can see my plane, then I can avoid a full scale. So, I have absolutely ZERO concern that I will have an incident where I need to speak with the FAA.

You are one of these full scale union members pushing for regulation of model aviation. WE, are modelers fighting against this full scale push to regulate us. As time goes by, much of this is becoming clearer. THese "incidents" are being fabricated and exaggerated to whip the people into shape, to deny others of their rights. Just like the Tonkin Gulf incident led us into Vietnam, or the Lusitania into WW1. History shows us how these things are accomplished. We are witnessing it right now.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Mike1974, I think that BLOS does have the potential for serious trouble to the hobby. I am sure what you do, because of where you are is a non issue. But there is no doubt that BLOS flying is why LOS flying is getting regulated as well, and I believe unnecessarily, because the FAA is too inept to discern the profound difference. We have people here where I live flying FPV over our old town, and that is just not cool. If a failure occurs, then that quad is going to drop like a rock. I think you have to understand the concern by people seeing this going on over their city? In a sequestered rural situation such as yours, I am sure you are fine.

I think the real solution is these types of models need to have an RFID chip installed during manufacture, registered to the purchaser. This silly registering the FAA is doing now will not solve any problem.

As much noise as I have made in these threads about this, I did register last night. I had no choice, as my club, and all of the competitions and events I have worked so hard to attend will not allow me to participate otherwise. That being said, I will be rooting for success in the pending lawsuits. THis is certainly not over.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:31 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not nice Tim !

Gee , I didn't call you a troll once when you asked me some weird question about my phone and then wouldn't say why you wanted to know ?

So what gives you the right to call anyone here a troll , when just last night you engaged in what I'd call trolling behavior yourself ?

And as to the general theme of a few of the previous posts , yes sir , a bit of just one thing would really spruce things up around here quite nicely ;

Respect for the fact that people's thoughts don't all come from the same cookie cutter ......
Fine. If I must. I understand the difference of views. I respect that tremendously. I don't respect the sky is falling point of view. I will sit quietly in the corner in my high chair and sippy cup. LOL
Old 01-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Agree. It also helps FAA justify the actions despite what AMA is saying. Makes it tough for them to say our folks aren't the problem when we have members like this gleefully announcing that they don't follow the guidelines, let alone not follow the law.
I would hope you would realize that when the AMA makes statements to that affect they are speaking of the vast majority of AMA members. Even if 99.9% of the AMA members follow the rules to a T that still leaves ~185 bad apples.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:33 PM
TimJ

Fine. If I must. I understand the difference of views. I respect that tremendously. I don't respect the sky is falling point of view. I will sit quietly in the corner in my high chair and sippy cup. LOL
Oh, P.S. I forgot all about the Phone thing. That was actually a serious query in regards to privacy. I don't recall what thread that was in either. Sorry for that.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:24 PM
init4fun

Sounds great to me , I don't respect the sky is falling view either . What I do respect is the fact that we're "all in this together" as hobbyists , and I try to not demean the holders of views different than mine . You normally do a great job presenting your point and that's why I think you can do better than just call the guy a troll , attack his position , attack the livin crap outta it , all the while not crossing over to attacking the person themselves .

Oh, P.S. I forgot all about the Phone thing. That was actually a serious query in regards to privacy. I don't recall what thread that was in either. Sorry for that.
Cool , I do appreciate that . It's kinda funny that for an old guy who kinda into the modern tech , I still use a cell phone SO old that all it does is text and make phonecalls . It couldn't go on the internet if I begged it ! I keep saying when it dies I'll upgrade to something newer but I think the SOB is gonna outlive me .
Old 01-15-2016, 02:44 PM
init4fun

I understand "you" are not doing it , but you certainly support and lobby for it. Can you please answer my question? If FPV is so dangerous, why has nothing happened in the 8-10 years FPV has been around?

What does hit a nerve is being called a troll (not by you). My opinion might not be popular here, but I am posting what I honestly believe just as you guys are doing and that does not make me a troll. I'm not trying to get anyone worked up or pissed off.

With that said, I hope you all have a great, safe weekend!
Mike , I know by the posts you've made that you live in an area where your activities are not at all likely to cause problems . The problem is , of course , that everyone who flies BLOS thinks the same thing ; "Oh , there's NO WAY my (insert type of FPV vehicle here) is gonna cause any trouble" and so far we've been lucky . You see , for every one of you who do fly in a really rural area , your "city brethren" are out this minute flying BLOS FPV right over folk's heads and it seems almost once a week now we're hearing a "falling drone" story on the 6:00 news ! And yes , folks have been injured (thankfully not badly), , even right here in Boston a month or so back an unrestricted FPV craft fell at a parade and cut a person's head up a bit . Now , to come and admit that you do the very kind of flying that most folks believe is what's bringing the "evil eye" onto our hobby , ya gotta expect folks are going to get angry with the fact that you fly BLOS . Angry at you personally ? No , you seem a polite sort of guy and i have no judgements to cast . But angry at what your type of flying is bringing down on our hobby , even if you personally aren't causing problems ? Hell Yea ! At the end of the day it wasn't pattern or combat or pylon racing or any other sub genre of our hobby that is casting us in such a bad light publicly , it's the Damn unrestricted FPV flying BLOS that's "the problem" and to be honest I'm one of the ones who would be just fine with the AMA dropping #550 , or at the very least going back to the "original #550" that had the PIC being the LOS pilot and the guy wearin the goggles being on the trainer TX ....
Old 01-15-2016, 05:50 PM
cj_rumley

Mike , I know by the posts you've made that you live in an area where your activities are not at all likely to cause problems . The problem is , of course , that everyone who flies BLOS thinks the same thing ; "Oh , there's NO WAY my (insert type of FPV vehicle here) is gonna cause any trouble" and so far we've been lucky . You see , for every one of you who do fly in a really rural area , your "city brethren" are out this minute flying BLOS FPV right over folk's heads and it seems almost once a week now we're hearing a "falling drone" story on the 6:00 news ! And yes , folks have been injured (thankfully not badly), , even right here in Boston a month or so back an unrestricted FPV craft fell at a parade and cut a person's head up a bit . Now , to come and admit that you do the very kind of flying that most folks believe is what's bringing the "evil eye" onto our hobby , ya gotta expect folks are going to get angry with the fact that you fly BLOS . Angry at you personally ? No , you seem a polite sort of guy and i have no judgements to cast . But angry at what your type of flying is bringing down on our hobby , even if you personally aren't causing problems ? Hell Yea ! At the end of the day it wasn't pattern or combat or pylon racing or any other sub genre of our hobby that is casting us in such a bad light publicly , it's the Damn unrestricted FPV flying BLOS that's "the problem" and to be honest I'm one of the ones who would be just fine with the AMA dropping #550 , or at the very least going back to the "original #550" that had the PIC being the LOS pilot and the guy wearin the goggles being on the trainer TX ....
I hear you init, but I do believe what Mike is doing poses little threat when due care is taken. One of the things that leads me to that POV is that FAA has established a drone test range in Rome, NY, just a few miles from where I spent most of my youth. I lived just a few miles from the main runway at the former Griffiss AFB, right in the normal takeoff corridor for B36, B47 and B52 bombers, plus an assortment of fighters over the years that encompasses most of the century series. The area is fairly sparsely populated still, and so it seems a rational decision for having this kind of activity there. What I question (and would like to hear answers to, as I don't know everything) is why is flight test of public and commercial drones okay in such an area, but not anywhere for recreational drone flyers. My feeling is that flying as Mike has described has it's place, but a 'place' that is appropriate is certainly in need of some definition. I think BLOS operation is not appropriate in many areas of the country but non-threatening in some, for example over vast expanses of BLM land near where I live now,and accommodation should be made wherever possible. I should qualify that I mean non-threatening to people on the ground, as the threat posed by an airborne obstruction to navigation of manned aircraft doesn't much differ between populated and bare expanses of the ground. I hate to see somebody's freedom as to avocational choices lost as "collateral damage" when I know it can be done safely. That said, I still don't think it is AMA's place to advocate for operation of drones in general. Drone enthusiasts really need to have an organization of their own, focused on their particular needs and desires. A set of standards designed to accommodate both model airplanes and drones will be unreasonably constraining for both.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:06 PM
mike1974

Hi init,

I actually agree with you. I understand FPV and MR camera platforms are the cause of all the issues. I'm just trying to show that not all BLOS has to be a safety issue and that not all BLOS pilots are unsafe heathens who care nothing about safety or anyone/thing in general.

I don't want to be seen as a BLOS troublemaker. I just enjoy the crap out of flying FPV and the technology. I have been into RC since I was 13. You can figure out my age by my screen name. I have built many planes and building one currently. BLOS is the smallest amount of time I spend flying all season. The only time I am not in compliance with all the rules and regs is when my spotter cannot see my plane for a few minutes. That's it. I'm not some crazy, lunatic rogue flyer posting videos and pictures all over the interwebz.

I worked my ass off for three years, after my full time day job, at the local airport (4G6) for credit to fly and buy the books and pay for the things I needed to get my private ticket. Unfortunately I'm not making enough to continue to keep flying at 130.00Hr. So flying LOS/BLOS FPV is the closest thing I can do to be able to "fly" and I enjoy the hell out of it!! Sometimes things are not always black and white. FPV flight is not always a safety issue. And hell yes you are correct!! If I lived in the city I wouldn't be on here because I would never fly like that in an area like that. And that is my rub. Flying FPV in a populated area is not a smart idea, but that does not mean it is not safe in a very rural area. Most people on here are all or nothing and i'm just trying to show that is simply not the case.

You cannot race 180+mph stock cars on the street, but you can race them in the appropriate place. That's how I feel about the remoteness of where I live and flying FPV LOS or BLOS.

Last edited by mike1974; 01-15-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:14 PM
vertical grimmace

Hi init,

I actually agree with you. I understand FPV and MR camera platforms are the cause of all the issues. I'm just trying to show that not all BLOS has to be a safety issue and that not all BLOS pilots are unsafe heathens who care nothing about safety or anyone/thing in general.

I don't want to be seen as a BLOS troublemaker. I just enjoy the crap out of flying FPV and the technology. I have been into RC since I was 13. You can figure out my age by my screen name. I have built many planes and building one currently. BLOS is the smallest amount of time I spend flying all season. The only time I am not in compliance with all the rules and regs is when my spotter cannot see my plane for a few minutes. That's it. I'm not some crazy, lunatic rogue flyer posting videos and pictures all over the interwebz.

I worked my ass off for three years, after my full time day job, at the local airport (4G6) for credit to fly and buy the books and pay for the things I needed to get my private ticket. Unfortunately I'm not making enough to continue to keep flying at 130.00Hr. So flying LOS/BLOS FPV is the closest thing I can do to be able to "fly" and I enjoy the hell out of it!! Sometimes things are not always black and white. FPV flight is not always a safety issue. And hell yes you are correct!! If I lived in the city I wouldn't be on here because I would never fly like that in an area like that. And that is my rub. Flying FPV in a populated is not a smart idea, but that does not mean it is not safe in a very urban area. Most people on here are all or nothing and i'm just trying to show that is simply not the case.

You cannot race 180+mph stock cars on the street, but you can race them in the appropriate place. That's how I feel about the remoteness of where I live and flying FPV LOS or BLOS.
Yep, we live in a very large country. And many of us live in areas that have a ton of open land. One size does not fit all. That is the reason we have the 10th amendment. A centralized federal agency, cannot accurately regulate such a vast area without over reaching, which is exactly what we have going on.

But even with that, BLOS flying needs to have some serious controls, as I have seen a guy, at my club, with video of his exploits flying all over, and going as high as he wanted, with no concern about what he was doing at all. There is just something about the technology that is too tempting for most to not follow any kind of guideline.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Hi init,

So you've rationalized and self-justified why you're above the law.

I worked my ass off for three years, after my full time day job, at the local airport (4G6) for credit to fly and buy the books and pay for the things I needed to get my private ticket. Unfortunately I'm not making enough to continue to keep flying at 130.00Hr. So flying LOS/BLOS FPV is the closest thing I can do to be able to "fly" and I enjoy the hell out of it!! Sometimes things are not always black and white. FPV flight is not always a safety issue. And hell yes you are correct!! If I lived in the city I wouldn't be on here because I would never fly like that in an area like that. And that is my rub. Flying FPV in a populated area is not a smart idea, but that does not mean it is not safe in a very rural area. Most people on here are all or nothing and i'm just trying to show that is simply not the case.

So then, why not just fulfill the requirements to fly FPV BLOS legally? You just said you cannot race 180+ mph stock cars on the street, but yet that's exactly what you're doing. You've just self-justified that going to the road less traveled makes it "okay".
Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I hear you init, but I do believe what Mike is doing poses little threat when due care is taken. One of the things that leads me to that POV is that FAA has established a drone test range in Rome, NY, just a few miles from where I spent most of my youth. I lived just a few miles from the main runway at the former Griffiss AFB, right in the normal takeoff corridor for B36, B47 and B52 bombers, plus an assortment of fighters over the years that encompasses most of the century series. The area is fairly sparsely populated still, and so it seems a rational decision for having this kind of activity there. What I question (and would like to hear answers to, as I don't know everything) is why is flight test of public and commercial drones okay in such an area, but not anywhere for recreational drone flyers. My feeling is that flying as Mike has described has it's place, but a 'place' that is appropriate is certainly in need of some definition. I think BLOS operation is not appropriate in many areas of the country but non-threatening in some, for example over vast expanses of BLM land near where I live now,and accommodation should be made wherever possible. I should qualify that I mean non-threatening to people on the ground, as the threat posed by an airborne obstruction to navigation of manned aircraft doesn't much differ between populated and bare expanses of the ground. I hate to see somebody's freedom as to avocational choices lost as "collateral damage" when I know it can be done safely. That said, I still don't think it is AMA's place to advocate for operation of drones in general. Drone enthusiasts really need to have an organization of their own, focused on their particular needs and desires. A set of standards designed to accommodate both model airplanes and drones will be unreasonably constraining for both.
I agree with everything you said and it's partly why I am criticized. I am an AMA member who flies traditionally at an AMA field. I also fly smaller aircraft at the local ball field ans according to the AMA safety code.

But if I say I fly BLOS everyone piles on saying I am breaking this law and that guideline and that safety code. I would pay 100.00 a year just to be able to fly FPV BLOS within the law and in a safe area.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
To your #1 in red: So you've rationalized and self-justified why you're above the law. Nope, just showing that BLOS can be accomplished safely. I'm not above the law anymore than you are when you speed. You pose more of a risk speeding than I do flying BLOS.

To your #2 in red: Think NFL. CMO"N MAN!!!!!!! You and I both know there is no way to fly BLOS FPV legally other than military. Here is your quote Crispy: "You just said you cannot race 180+ mph stock cars on the street, but yet that's exactly what you're doing." Really Crispy? That is the exact opposite of what I am doing. I'm flying in the middle of nowhere with basically no air traffic, with a spotter and 10's of miles of visibility. Holy cow, i'm not hiding my location; Google Earth it and check flight paths against it for craps sake! If what you said was true, I would be zooming around pedestrians, scooting around buildings and getting in the way of full scale aircraft near an airport.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

To your #1 in red: So you've rationalized and self-justified why you're above the law. Nope, just showing that BLOS can be accomplished safely. I'm not above the law anymore than you are when you speed. You pose more of a risk speeding than I do flying BLOS.

To your #2 in red: Think NFL. CMO"N MAN!!!!!!! You and I both know there is no way to fly BLOS FPV legally other than military. Here is your quote Crispy: "You just said you cannot race 180+ mph stock cars on the street, but yet that's exactly what you're doing." Really Crispy? That is the exact opposite of what I am doing. I'm flying in the middle of nowhere with basically no air traffic, with a spotter and 10's of miles of visibility. Holy cow, i'm not hiding my location; Google Earth it and check flight paths against it for craps sake! If what you said was true, I would be zooming around pedestrians, scooting around buildings and getting in the way of full scale aircraft near an airport.
No need to tell me, you can tell it all to the FAA if/when you get caught.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:45 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
No need to tell me, you can tell it all to the FAA if/when you get caught.
If there was no need to tell you, then why did you respond in the first place? Why do you have to be like that? Why can you not respond to what I have posted?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 PM
mike1974

Red face

Duplicate post

Last edited by mike1974; 01-15-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.