Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Registration number size and placement ?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Registration number size and placement ?

Old 12-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Registration number size and placement ?

To date I have only read that the registration number has to be on all of your model airplanes. It must be easy to access and readable.

Has anybody stated exactly what size this number has to be ? Or exactly where it must be placed ?

My " personal " thought is to just engrave it on the muffler.

Of course this question is for only those who do plan to register !
Old 12-15-2015, 03:45 PM
JohnB96041

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about engraving it on the face of the left tire. When it can't be read anymore send the tire to the FAA and AMA.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by JohnB96041
How about engraving it on the face of the left tire. When it can't be read anymore send the tire to the FAA and AMA.
LOL ......... already ahead of you . I was thinking along the same lines.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Felt tip inside the canopy somewhere for me
Old 12-16-2015, 02:13 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

I may use lemon juice on a small piece of paper with attached match, written in Sanskrit.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

See Item 2.F in the AMA Safety Code. That's all ya need for identification period. FAA, want's more money is all this is.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:28 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

1/2" vinyl letters somewhere on the exterior for me, if a scale plane, bottom of the horizontal stab or something. "The tail always survives"
Old 12-16-2015, 03:33 PM
JimmyZep

On a roll of toilet paper right before I use it.

Jimmy
Old 12-16-2015, 03:44 PM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
See Item 2.F in the AMA Safety Code. That's all ya need for identification period. FAA, want's more money is all this is.
Well, its free for 3 years and 5 dollars every 3 years so it's not a money grab by any means.

But, the safety code doesn't apply here. Hopefully the AMA will convince them to use sense and allow us to use our AMA# as our federal registration number but unless that happens you're stuck.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by JimmyZep
On a roll of toilet paper right before I use it.

Jimmy
Not skilled enough to write your number, while using it ????? Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 12-17-2015, 11:44 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given today's PC environment maybe we should use these numbers:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-9Mfz-N1qk...numbers0-9.jpg
Old 12-17-2015, 12:28 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Well, its free for 3 years and 5 dollars every 3 years so it's not a money grab by any means.

But, the safety code doesn't apply here. Hopefully the AMA will convince them to use sense and allow us to use our AMA# as our federal registration number but unless that happens you're stuck.
Barracuda: So if the AMA Safety Code doesn't apply here?, then it only applies in certain instances??? SO do we get to pick where and when the AMA Safety Code applies?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

You're talking about the AMA safety code versus Federal registration.

You have to register any sUAS to fly one between half a pound and 55 pounds. You don't have to be an AMA member to fly one but now, you have to have an FAA registration.

Your statement that you only need the AMA number on or in your aircraft is incorrect UNLESS you're an AMA member, but that's not the only thing you need now, you'd need both. Unless the AMA can talk the FAA into using some sense and we can use our AMA number to register with the feds

Make sense?

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 12-17-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:20 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
You're talking about the AMA safety code versus Federal registration.

You have to register any sUAS to fly one between half a pound and 55 pounds. You don't have to be an AMA member to fly one but now, you have to have an FAA registration.

Your statement that you only need the AMA number on or in your aircraft is incorrect UNLESS you're an AMA member, but that's not the only thing you need now, you'd need both. Unless the AMA can talk the FAA into using some sense and we can use our AMA number to register with the feds

Make sense?
I understand, and in 2012, the FAA said they will not regulate model aircraft? So now they they make this stupid law? Is the FAA going to pay for our Liability insurance after we all register or doe's that stay with the AMA? I think the AMA has dropped the ball here Big Time, now we all suffer the consequences of a stupid few.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:48 PM
BarracudaHockey

I'm not sure how you feel the AMA dropped the ball, they have been fighting this since day 1, the problem is the FAA does what they want

In fact, I got this about 10 minutes ago

Dear AMA Members,

Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.

AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.

In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.

While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations. Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.

Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council
Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to ask....
What is to be gained by being allowed the use of your AMA number to register with the FAA?
If you are against the intrusive new requirements then what difference would the number make?
Old 12-18-2015, 08:22 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ps2727
I would like to ask....
What is to be gained by being allowed the use of your AMA number to register with the FAA?
If you are against the intrusive new requirements then what difference would the number make?
A token gesture perhaps, even better if the need to register is taken away too. I think the AMA would accept the former, and prefer the latter.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:37 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by ps2727
I would like to ask....
Make it so you don't have to have two numbers
Old 12-19-2015, 09:29 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Barracuda, just exactly what is it that makes you think that in 3 years it's still going to be $5?????

Remember federal income taxes? In the 1950's it was something like 1.5%, in 2013 I paid 28%.

Remember Social Security? They confiscated our money without our OK, and said the money would be held in trust. Then they stole it. Then they started making US the bad guys - we're siphoning resources from the government - according to them.

Remember Obamacare? THEY said it would lower costs. Costs have doubled, or tripled, depending just who you are.

FAA "tax" - 2015 = $5, 2018 = $20, 2021 = $50, etc etc.

Look at my signature. I was born into these bast&&&&s control, I've lived with these b&&$$%^$s all my life. I know these b!$@%s. They're the same people who left my family without an income while I was overseas (thank God for Red Cross) for 6 months when THEY screwed up my paperwork.

And you're willing to trust them to just $5? Good luck with that.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:54 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I listened to the podcast when this came out. In the news media Q n A it came out that the FAA has been trying to raise the fee already. They have not been able to get the authorization. They will keep trying until they get it.

Full scale airplanes never had a registration fee. You just paid the one time fee first time IIRC. About 15 years or so ago the issue of registration came up. The FAA could not adequately account for aircraft registration. So the $5 fee was put in place every 3 years. So everybody who owned an aircraft had to reregister so the FAA could account for all the aircraft out there. This is how I remember when the fee started. I've been paying it ever since. The full scale data base is open for searching by anyone.

Now the FAA wants to control how many model aircraft and their pilots? Also the data base is open to anyone. This presents a big problem as anyone may be able to use some else's registration number for whatever reason.

I did a search of my N number, I believe on flightaware, and discovered someone had made a flight using my N number down in Floridga while I was home in Texas. I tried to follow up but got nowhere. Open registration may become a big problem IMO. Time will tell.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by skylark-flier

FAA "tax" - 2015 = $5, 2018 = $20, 2021 = $50, etc etc.
When I see the FAA raise the 3-year registration fee on a 320 MILLION dollar Boeing triple 7 then I'll start to worry about them raising the sUAS fees. BTW - it costs $5 to register a B777 for three years.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:06 AM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me see if I understand....
we are upset at the notion of registering with the FAA in order to fly model aircraft because of a few bad apples. We are contacting our reps to get the onerous new requirements removed as they don't address the problem. Some are stating that they will not comply, but,
if the FAA simply gets the same data from the AMA and then registers us in the same way we will be happy because we don't have to put two different numbers on our models?

Is this right? Am I the only one who sees this as absurd? Please tell me I am wrong and there is more to the strategy...
Old 12-21-2015, 01:17 AM
TimJ

Some would argue freedom and big government. .blah blah blah. ..... others will argue that the FAA is breaking the law.

Last edited by TimJ; 12-21-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:53 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And don't forget...this is all the AMA's fault because as a non-profit, they want all the money from drones, and threw traditional" modelers under the bus. And as I saw last night in another threads, man it would be nice to be back in the old days when the AMA cared about us by bribing federal officials to get our way.

The whole complaint thing sorta jumped the shark on that one, at least for me.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Took a peek at the registration number PDF during registration. No size requirement, must be legible and access without use of tools.

Pretty simple and unobtrusive. OP's thought on engraving on muffler will work!

Personally going to make Dymo labels and place them under the battery hatch on electrics, under the stab on gas/glo.