Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big fred
Franklin, this is not a slam. But it surprises me that everyone does not see that the AMA has gained exactly what they wanted. It is now a law, that if you want to fly any kind of RC, that you now MUST belong to a CBO. And they are the only game in town. All the flyers that were not AMA are now required to be. This has been their goal from day one. Could mean big money for them.
There is no requirement to belong to a CBO. Even if you don't know anything about it you can fly if you stay below 400 feet and follow the other FAA rules. The AMA rules only replace the FAA rules for members. Not sure about those who are not members but know and follow the AMA rules, but I bet that is very rare.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:04 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big fred
Could mean big money for them.
I hope so! That last dues increase was a killer. No Starbucks for 4 days so I could pay the increase. More members means lower dues. Yeah, that's it.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I hope so! That last dues increase was a killer. No Starbucks for 4 days so I could pay the increase. More members means lower dues. Yeah, that's it.
BIG BIG money, i'm still scratching my head wondering why I didn't put that whole AMA plot together. How could anyone have missed that?

As for sacrifices, I switches to the .99 McCafe coffee from McDonalds for a week. Shameful really.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
BIG BIG money, i'm still scratching my head wondering why I didn't put that whole AMA plot together. How could anyone have missed that?

As for sacrifices, I switches to the .99 McCafe coffee from McDonalds for a week. Shameful really.
For anyone who missed it, I heard Hollywood is working on a movie.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:30 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
dunno bout that dude...
they gave me one leader member slot for admin, and then later gave me another for scientific.
and i am a contest director, too.
the only one of those designations i asked for was the CD.
there is always a chance.
You must fill out a application for LM status. along with s 4 references and a resume than be approved for your LM status,. If your referring to that on your application you were giving several designations that entirely possible.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-18-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:49 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
You must fill out a application for LM status. along with s 4 references and a resume than be approved for your LM status,. If your referring to that on your application you were giving several designations that entirely possible.

Mike
His note is confusing, makes it seem like he applied for his CD, then suddenly was given two Leader Member status designations. Something is not right there, hopefully he will clarify.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:03 AM
H5487

A lot of us are already AMA members so it's irrelevant.
Chris, my AMA membership goes back to 1970. I initially joined in order to be part of a larger group of like-minded folks in a common hobby. However, if AMA membership changes from voluntary to mandatory, that common bond will change (at least in my eyes) from wanting to join that group for the fun of it, to being forced to join in order to stay out of jail. That's hardly a good way to attract new members to keep the hobby flourishing!

Harvey
Old 07-18-2016, 05:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by H5487
Chris, my AMA membership goes back to 1970. I initially joined in order to be part of a larger group of like-minded folks in a common hobby. However, if AMA membership changes from voluntary to mandatory, that common bond will change (at least in my eyes) from wanting to join that group for the fun of it, to being forced to join in order to stay out of jail. That's hardly a good way to attract new members to keep the hobby flourishing!

Harvey
Not really disagreeing with that idea for the most part, however it's doubtful that will ever be the case. I would point out however that are are plenty of people (at least in these forums) that have already indicated the feel as though they were forced to join the AMA in order to fly at fields, and the only reason they joined the AMA was so they could do this. Meanwhile, I have to assume they have enjoyed the benefits of flying at an organized club as well as being part of a larger like minded group of folks.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Harvey
It's entirely possible that common bond has changed somewhat. Back then there weren't any commercial done operations competing with us for use of the NAS. In this day and age many commercial entities want a piece of the action and Amazon has already invested millions in drone delivery. If they had their way they wouldn't want us in their way interfering with their business operations. Now and into the future we'll need to stay focused on maintaining and preserving our ability to use the NAS. That will take time and money. While it's unfortunate the lawyers are the only ones who win in these situations it's important we have someone looking out for our own best interests.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:25 AM
H5487

In this day and age many commercial entities want a piece of the action and Amazon has already invested millions in drone delivery. If they had their way they wouldn't want us in their way interfering with their business operations.
With a few exceptions, the hobby UAVs and commercial UAVs aren't really competing for the same airspace. Few hobby UAVs fly above 400ft because watching our airplanes fly is probably the greatest attraction to the hobby and few commercial UAVs need to (or want to due to obstacles) fly below 400ft.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-18-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

With a few exceptions, the hobby UAVs and commercial UAVs aren't really competing for the same airspace. Few hobby UAVs fly above 400ft because watching our airplanes fly is probably the greatest attraction to the hobby and few commercial UAVs need to (or want to due to obstacles) fly below 400ft.

Harvey
Have you seen Amazon's proposals?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...zone/30798777/

Old 07-18-2016, 05:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Harvey
See the pic above, also although not commercial in usage, there are plenty of our aircraft that routinely exceed 400 feet.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:52 AM
H5487

Yeah, I've seen it and I think it's more marketing hoopla than a realistic proposal. First, I doubt that Amazon sees their Big City customers as their primary target since it'll be extremely difficult to safely deliver a package to a 7th story condo balcony. And out in the 'burbs, many people are going to be angry with drones flying low over their properties and some of them may resort to shooting at them. Flying at a higher altitude will make them harder to shoot down.

And drone-delivered packages may make them even more attractive to thieves.

Obviously, I'm skeptical about Amazon's drone delivery aspirations.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-18-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yeah, I've seen it and I think it's more marketing hoopla than a realistic proposal. First, I doubt that Amazon sees their Big City customers as their primary target since it'll be extremely difficult to safely deliver a package to a 7th story condo balcony. And out in the 'burbs, many people are going to be angry with drones flying low over their properties and some of them may resort to shooting at them. Flying at a higher altitude will make them harder to shoot down.

Harvey
I don't know, what Amazon wants, they typically will get. I don't short sell them on anything. Keep in mind they are responding to customer demand and the market. Not content with getting our electronics and even toilet paper in two days, then one, they are moving to open up warehouses all over the country in order to get product to their customers not only same day...but within an hour or two from time of ordering! I see some of the stuff they do and wonder how they turn a profit!

Last edited by porcia83; 07-18-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Harvey
I'm skeptical too, but I don't believe ignorance is the best way to preserve and protect our use of the NAS. Amazon has invested millions in drone delivery and isn't going to give up anytime soon. Even if they do, it doesn't mean they or someone else won't try again down the road as technology improves and operating costs go down. The area of the NAS we use for our recreational hobby is priceless to commercial interests. Our best defense is to be well organized and well prepared and that takes time and money.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

More members especially young ones with little respect for rules means more insurance claims. So dues will go up!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
More members especially young ones with little respect for rules means more insurance claims. So dues will go up!
More sweeping generalizations without and basis in fact, with some ageism thrown in for good measure. It's always the young ones with little respect for rules. Jeez.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 AM
H5487

I don't know, what Amazon wants, they typically will get. I don't short sell them on anything. Keep in mind they are responding to customer demand and the market. Not content with getting our electronics and even toilet paper in two days, then one, they are moving to open up warehouses all over the country in order to get product to their customers not only same day...but within an hour or two from time of ordering! I see some of the stuff they do and wonder how they turn a profit!
I don't under
I agree but I think Amazon's plan is more gimmicky than feasible.

Intercity customers will be difficult to serve because of the many obstacles (tall buildings, powerlines, etc) that must be avoided, plus the afore-mentioned reality of delivering a package anywhere that is not an open area.

And in the burbs, filling a single brown truck to the top with Amazon packages HAS to be more efficient than delivering one package per drone trip to several hundred customers.

However, using a drone to deliver one package to a single customer way out in the country may very well be more cost-effective than sending a truck and driver out there but even then, the feasibility will be limited to package size and weight. For example, I can't imagine a drone being able to deliver a 90lb, 6ft long steel bumper to someone who's restoring a 1956 Buick in far west Texas.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-18-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Sure, blame the young ones too for the ~35k people killed annually by drunk drivers.

The guy arrested for the recent fire fighting incident in CA is 57.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

I agree but I think Amazon's plan is more gimmicky than feasible.

Intercity customers will be difficult to serve because of the many obstacles (tall buildings, powerlines, etc) that must be avoided, plus the afore-mentioned reality of delivering a package anywhere that is not an open area.

And in the burbs, filling a single brown truck to the top with Amazon packages HAS to be more efficient than delivering one package per drone trip to several hundred customers.

However, using a drone to deliver one package to a single customer way out in the country may very well be more cost-effective than sending a truck and driver out there but even then, the feasibility will be limited to package size and weight. For example, I can't imagine a drone being able to deliver a 90lb, 6ft long steel bumper to someone who's restoring a 1956 Buick in far west Texas.

Harvey
Amazon is also fantastic at promoting Amazon..so ya, some of it is gimmicky but there is a basis in fact to what they are doing.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:03 AM
TimJ

Don't forget, I spelled this out for you guys a while ago. That Senator from Florida isone of a few that are behind the push for Amazon.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

More sweeping generalizations without and basis in fact, with some ageism thrown in for good measure. It's always the young ones with little respect for rules. Jeez.
I should have put a smiley on that message, it was tongue in cheek.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

I should have put a smiley on that message, it was tongue in cheek.
I missed the hyperbole again, my apologies....lol.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TimJ
Don't forget, I spelled this out for you guys a while ago. That Senator from Florida isone of a few that are behind the push for Amazon.
The FAA would rather that they send their drones above 500 feet once they get their issues worked out for drones flying with the full scale airplanes. But probably not till after 2020. IMO drones are not workable for door to door delivery, But may be from warehouse to warehouse.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
Nothing new here. The same thing happened with Amateur Radio decades ago. The commercial interests lobbied the FCC for the frequencies set aside for Amateur Radio. The ARRL (equivalent of our AMA) worked very diligently fighting the FCC to preserve those frequencies set aside for Amateur Radio. The ARRL now has a dedicated legal defense fund setup specifically for legal actions that could impact amateur radio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.