Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:49 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Those "pin points" ain't "thousands" is it? I think a more realistic numbers is hundreds. The map I posted is one of the biggest mutli-rotor sites out there. Time will tell if it's the hobby's and AMA's saving grace. I don't see that right now.

Mike
360 pin points containing 5,000 to 6,000 members.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:29 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
360 pin points containing 5,000 to 6,000 members.
Just curious got a link to that number and what group is that?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-15-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:39 AM
TimJ

Mike
Multi GP organizing body.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
You know, that sounds terrible. I don't know how you deal with all these problems.
I'm merely explaining the economics of the decision from my perception. Then you respond with sarcasm directed at me personally. Instead of personal attacks, why don't you outline your economic calculation that shows the AMA and club membership is better?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike
I found a link, it stopped working but I took a screen shot..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	2173046  
Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm merely explaining the economics of the decision from my perception. Then you respond with sarcasm directed at me personally. Instead of personal attacks, why don't you outline your economic calculation that shows the AMA and club membership is better?
Did you catch my rebuttal Franklin?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

If what I'm saying is so obviously wrong, the links are so obviously unreliable, the quotes so obviously inaccurate, and what I say of generally so little value - then why spend so much time addressing it?
That's the argument? LoL. To keep you busy, to pass the time, to easily debunk the bunk? Who knows, mostly it's just fun. I know some are here because they view everything with such dire non pedestrian seriousness, others for pure entertainment value. It's not for me to question.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
I found a link, it stopped working but I took a screen shot..

LoL...love it.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The club I used to belong to has a quad racing obstacle course. Local clubs can increase membership by setting one up. Next I guess is FPV 3D heli's. I would love to watch that after they pull their goggles off!
We set up a quad course right next to our heli field. More heli guys use the area than MR guys too, but for the most part the "rotary" guys like it.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Those "pin points" ain't "thousands" is it? I think a more realistic numbers is hundreds. The map I posted is one of the biggest mutli-rotor sites out there. Time will tell if it's the hobby's and AMA's saving grace. I don't see that right now.

Mike
Waiting for those links showing people saying the MR will be the saving grace for either the hobby or the AMA. I suspect this is just another comment like "AMA is tricking people into joining". Completely made up.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

OK EVERYONE.... Here is the Official Word.... if you want to fly anything from a paper plane, to 1-1 giant scale rc plane. You have 2 choices of places to fly... You'll have to book your flying time in advance and probably be able to make 2 yearly flying trips. You have to choose either the Bonneville Salt Flats or the Burning Man Nevada Desert.... If you choose Burning Man, you can night fly with lights and sync your manuevers to the blairing techno going on at Burning Man...
Actually...those are some awesome choices! Both could be pretty fun, betcha someone could get some fanatic video from either event. I think I'd like the music at the flats though.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

He did, just easier to respond to the Baconator with a strawman. Anyone can make an argument for or against the economics of being in a club..it's laughably irrelevant and hardly means a thing. It's like saying tell me why vanilla is better than chocolate ice cream. It's a personal choice, duh. And everyone knows Rocky Road is the best.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 PM
TimJ

OK EVERYONE.... Here is the Official Word.... if you want to fly anything from a paper plane, to 1-1 giant scale rc plane. You have 2 choices of places to fly... You'll have to book your flying time in advance and probably be able to make 2 yearly flying trips. You have to choose either the Bonneville Salt Flats or the Burning Man Nevada Desert.... If you choose Burning Man, you can night fly with lights and sync your manuevers to the blairing techno going on at Burning Man...
Here is some good drone footage from Burning Man. This is a project a buddy of mine worked on in 2013. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlAujFZJPs
Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
rcmiket

Multi GP organizing body.
That's were I got my info from since they are the AMA sig, Couldn't find any member numbers that's why I asked. I'll take your would for it as far as members.

Mike
Old 07-15-2016, 12:40 PM
TimJ

That's were I got my info from since they are the AMA sig, Couldn't find any member numbers that's why I asked. I'll take your would for it as far as members.

Mike
Take a peak at the chapters listings. Members count comes from their closed community facebook page.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Here is some good drone footage from Burning Man. This is a project a buddy of mine worked on in 2013. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlAujFZJPs
Thanks for sharing TimJ. So glad to see folks out enjoying life, having fun, building things, and developing their creative, people, and teamwork skills. These are life skills that help folks personally and professionally in their careers.

I find watching these accomplishments so much more rewarding than the constant barrage of posts from folks who spend hours calculating how they can save a nickle driving one less time around the block. You know the story, oil, gas, tire wear, insurance, depreciation, etc. it all adds up.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:54 PM
rcmiket

Take a peak at the chapters listings. Members count comes from their closed community facebook page.
Facebook didn't bother with that, I figured they would place numbers on the actual site.
Oh well. Thanks for the lead though.

Mike
Old 07-15-2016, 02:29 PM
franklin_m

no
Old 07-15-2016, 02:47 PM
franklin_m

The clubs that have survived thus far have adapted to the climate. Those that haven't will dry up and disappear.

What many people are not seeing is a very large generation of people starting to retire. There is a pretty good percentage that the ranks of model aviation will once again climb. AMA numbers have been showing growth the last three year or so.

Judging purely by the AMA membership numbers, I'm not sure that clubs will go away like you've explained Franklin. I'm just not convinced of that.

I am a member of the largest club on the west coast, second largest in the nation, a member of an association of 9 clubs that use the same field and a very niche club. All three have experienced flux in membership up and down. But nothing indicates that membership is dying. Absolutely nothing. What I have noticed is absolute change in what people fly, where they purchase, and what they purchase.
This is 2010 data, from Wikipedia, I don't have the energy right now to go to source census figures. But, assuming US census data shows the same, it should be good enough for discussion - at least to make sure we're talking apples to apples.

Since it's 6 years old, the number of folks in each category shift up by one. But I'm not seeing there's a "very large" generation about to retire. There's two peaks in 45-49 and 50-54 groups. But not extraordinarily large. Besides, even if they are large, as the groups age then they will decrease due to natural causes. You've hit on something though, and it's the same phenomenon that's scaring everyone on Social Security. Note the lack of younger folks. In this graph age groups 25-40 roughly. Far fewer of them than the older crowd. As they age, they'll get smaller yet. So a smaller total population of people from which to draw members.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	USpop2010_svg.png
Views:	33
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2173058  
Old 07-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

This is 2010 data, from Wikipedia, I don't have the energy right now to go to source census figures. But, assuming US census data shows the same, it should be good enough for discussion - at least to make sure we're talking apples to apples.

Since it's 6 years old, the number of folks in each category shift up by one. But I'm not seeing there's a "very large" generation about to retire. There's two peaks in 45-49 and 50-54 groups. But not extraordinarily large. Besides, even if they are large, as the groups age then they will decrease due to natural causes. You've hit on something though, and it's the same phenomenon that's scaring everyone on Social Security. Note the lack of younger folks. In this graph age groups 25-40 roughly. Far fewer of them than the older crowd. As they age, they'll get smaller yet. So a smaller total population of people from which to draw members.

I've posted this numerous times:

Written 12/29/2010:
"Roughly 10,000 Baby Boomers will turn 65 today, and about 10,000 more will cross that threshold every day for the next 19 years."

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-num...oomers-retire/

Everyday for 19 years!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 PM
franklin_m

I've posted this numerous times:

Written 12/29/2010:
"Roughly 10,000 Baby Boomers will turn 65 today, and about 10,000 more will cross that threshold every day for the next 19 years."

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-num...oomers-retire/

Everyday for 19 years!
Yes, that's roughly age 40 to 65 on this graph. First, 25% of that has already happened. And look how quickly population falls off after 65. Second, I'm seeing a lot of press about how overweight we are as a society, how our sugar is too high, and same for cholesterol. Will this generation that's hitting 65 at 10,000 a day live as long past that as their predecessors?

Even so, in about another 15 years, the total population drops off. This is where demographics from AMA would really help the discussion. Does the AMA's demographic profile look like this or is it skewed? Also, those new paying members. What does that age vs. number spread look like? Most importantly though, how many of those 10,000 a day 65+ year olds are hitting retirement and saying..."Gee, I think I'll join the AMA now?"
Old 07-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yes, that's roughly age 40 to 65 on this graph. First, 25% of that has already happened. And look how quickly population falls off after 65. Second, I'm seeing a lot of press about how overweight we are as a society, how our sugar is too high, and same for cholesterol. Will this generation that's hitting 65 at 10,000 a day live as long past that as their predecessors?

Even so, in about another 15 years, the total population drops off. This is where demographics from AMA would really help the discussion. Does the AMA's demographic profile look like this or is it skewed? Also, those new paying members. What does that age vs. number spread look like? Most importantly though, how many of those 10,000 a day 65+ year olds are hitting retirement and saying..."Gee, I think I'll join the AMA now?"
Free AMA youth memberships = smart move!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 PM
franklin_m

Free AMA youth memberships = smart move!
With so few in that age range compared to the groups ahead of them, it will be important to get a lot of those turned into paying memberships.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

With so few in that age range compared to the groups ahead of them, it will be important to get a lot of those turned into paying memberships.
Succeeding in business is always a challenge. We're fortunate our AMA leaders have the vision and forward thinking to have started the free youth membership program when they did.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

Ya, and withing that group I've heard there's an epidemic of overweight kids, no doubt will get diabetes, high cholesterol, and probably stroke out early too.

The dark cloud never dissipates, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.