Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Now I suppose the shotgun is not a problem in your area, but it most certainly is in the rural south, I was not kidding about that.
And you're right in that some folks may use drones for target practice, much like they occasionally do with police and news helicopters now. However, almost every municipality already has laws about recklessly shooting into the sky (the "what-goes-up..." law) and there are also laws already I place that prohibit criminal destruction of someone else's property. The privacy issue may be a hurdle to commercial drones until the courts can agree on how much of the sky a landowner can control. (And there are already laws in place that give aircraft the right to overfly private property as low as 500ft).

Will these laws absolutely stop shipdits from shooting at drones? Of course not. However, all drones will have to do is avoid flying over mobile home parks.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-28-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

much like they occasionally do with police and news helicopters now.
Not the same, shooting a drone does no physical harm to anybody, and will be much more frequent.

However, almost every municipality already has laws about recklessly shooting into the sky (the "what-goes-up..." law)
This is not common in rural areas outside of suburbs. You will hear shotgun and rifle shots often during hunting season. Also the shooting in the sky laws do not usually include shotguns.

laws already I place that prohibit criminal destruction of someone else's property
You are allowed to shoot if trespassing. Even kill in some states.

The privacy issue may be a hurdle to commercial drones until the courts can agree on how much of the sky a landowner can control. (And there are already laws in place that give aircraft the right to overfly private property as low as 500ft).
Causby already sets the limit on that. Even if that is done away with that many people will ignore this.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:12 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Have you seen anybody extoll how much they want this? I haven't. But I suppose many customers do want this, but they may also have many neighbours with shotguns who do not. Now I suppose the shotgun is not a problem in your area, but it most certainly is in the rural south, I was not kidding about that.
I know enough about Amazon to know that everything they do is based on analytics and borderline perfect data collection. They would never share that information publicly but it's a more than safe bet that what they are doing is based on information they have already collected.

The shotgun thing is a red herring, probably worse than that given the generalization attached to the rural south now too.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by H5487
I'm not so sure about that because I don't think the customers were asking for drone delivery until Amazon put the idea into their heads. I still think it's more gimmicky (or call it futuristic) than practical at this point due to the legal and practical issues that must be overcome first. As an example, self-driving cars are just now becoming a possibility but they're still a long ways off before they'll be reliable enough to be turned loose on the streets. And cars only operate in two dimensions. Adding a third (altitude) and the complication factor is increased by a whole lot more than just 50%.

I will admit that drone delivery may eventually become a reality but will it be easier and cheaper than a big brown truck and driver? Probably not for many years. In the meantime, Amazon has excited the masses with its proposal and that has brought positive attention to the company. I think THAT may be more to Amazon's stockholders benefit than actually putting drones in the air. At least for right now.

The unfortunate reality of implementing a new idea is that closing your eyes and dreaming it up was the easy part.

Harvey
Marketing 101...create a need! Create a feeling that someone is missing something! LOL...these people are geniuses at this kind of thing! Check out the book Buyology by Martin Linsdstrom, it's fascinating how our minds work, and how companies manipulate them. even more shocking is how young it starts! Have you caught the Charmin commercials yet? Talk about TMI...promoting ridged toilet paper for a "cleaner" feel, then suggesting people go "commando". LOL, and gross (the toilet paper, not commando)
Old 07-28-2016, 08:28 AM
H5487

Sport,

I live in rural Texas, where our street signs have more holes than a congressman's conscience. We INVENTED dumbass rednecks!

Your points are well taken but most of your rebuttals apply to hunting. Yes, you can shoot a shotgun into the sky but not if your intent is to blow away someone's property. And it is also true that there are times when killing a trespasser is justified but you better be able to convince the court that your life or property were directly threatened, and not just because you didn't like him being there.

You have to remember that the law rarely sides with someone who destroys someone else's property (i.e. a drone) just because they don't like it; especially if they're not being directly harmed or threatened. If a camera-equipped drone is caught hovering outside someone's 14 year old daughter's bedroom window, I'LL help them shoot it down. However, if a drone is simply crossing over someone's property above 500ft, the law isn't likely going to buy the landowner's excuse that he shot it down because he felt threatened.

And yes, it is true that many folks choose to ignore laws but I doubt that even the courts in Georgia accept that as a valid defense.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-28-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by porcia83
Marketing 101...create a need! Create a feeling that someone is missing something! LOL...these people are geniuses at this kind of thing! Check out the book Buyology by Martin Linsdstrom, it's fascinating how our minds work, and how companies manipulate them. even more shocking is how young it starts! Have you caught the Charmin commercials yet? Talk about TMI...promoting ridged toilet paper for a "cleaner" feel, then suggesting people go "commando". LOL, and gross (the toilet paper, not commando)
I'm with you there! Wall Street is a force that could even break down a well-armed military. Maybe we should sic it on ISIS!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 07-28-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

The shotgun thing is a red herring, probably worse than that given the generalization attached to the rural south now too.
It's a compliment, not an attack. The fact that they will not sit on their but to protect their property.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by H5487
Understood and agreed! Wall Street is a force that could topple even a well-armed military. Maybe we should sic it on ISIS!

Harvey
Hmm, that's a good idea. Tell them about beautiful women, pork, beer....all the trappings of a Western lifestyle! Before long they will be grilling brauts and smoking some briskets right beside us. lol.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes, you can shoot a shotgun into the sky but not if your intent is to blow away someone's property.
Read the Texas trespassing law, I have, it is legal.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Hmm, that's a good idea. Tell them about beautiful women, pork, beer....all the trappings of a Western lifestyle! Before long they will be grilling brauts and smoking some briskets right beside us. lol.
Would that be a Kosher braut?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Would that be a Kosher braut?
100% pork baby!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

So no Haram either. Is there a difference in Kosher and Haram?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

So no Haram either. Is there a difference in Kosher and Haram?
Yes, Haram literally applied means "forbidden" and can apply to different things within the religion, like food, clothing, behavior etc.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes, Haram literally applied means "forbidden" and can apply to different things within the religion, like food, clothing, behavior etc.
Yes, but food is the first thing to mind when that word is used. Or maybe that is just me.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yes, but food is the first thing to mind when that word is used. Or maybe that is just me.
Could be. Both are synonymous with both food and a way of living.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 AM
franklin_m

You and I may disagree about a lot of things, but I agree that these folks are world class when it comes to creating a need. Think of the Amazon instant order buttons for laundry detergent, etc. Between them and Apple, they've cracked the code on making impulse buying quick and easy.

I could see that this could easily become the biggest risk to non-commercial sUAS flying as we know it. The Amazons of the world have truckloads of money to throw at lobby efforts, more than enough to hit all the states. If they manage to get their customers clamoring for it too, then think of the number of auto-letters to Congress someone like Amazon could get generated if they chose to go that way.

They could easily get over 200,000 from individual states.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:03 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Yup! I recall seeing an article a while back about laws in Australia certain marketing to kids is prohibited.

Just found something about it:

http://www.afgc.org.au/our-expertise...g-to-children/
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Good Morning Gents .....

Just an FYI , and don't hold me to exact spelling , but "Halal" is the Muslim word that's equal to the Jewish word "Kosher" , foods that are allowed . The word for off limits foods in the Jewish faith is "Traif" , which I believe is "Haram" in the Muslim faith .

For an easy reference to these words , search out how McDonald's was taken to task by a Muslim group here in the US a year or two ago for having no "Halal" offerings on their menu , and the African terrorist organization "Boko Haram" literally translates to "the Western way is forbidden" ....
http://bfy.tw/LJp
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Good Morning Gents .....

Just an FYI , and don't hold me to exact spelling , but "Halal" is the Muslim word that's equal to the Jewish word "Kosher" , foods that are allowed . The word for off limits foods in the Jewish faith is "Traif" , which I believe is "Haram" in the Muslim faith .

For an easy reference to these words , search out how McDonald's was taken to task by a Muslim group here in the US a year or two ago for having no "Halal" offerings on their menu , and the African terrorist organization "Boko Haram" literally translates to "the Western way is forbidden" ....
I though Haram was a proscribed way of life and what should be done as well as not, and includes food. I have heard of Halal, but thought that was just Mid east food in general, not necessarily religious.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I was told those definitions I posted from a Muslum from Syria who legally became a US citizen just after the 9/11 attacks . A nice guy , neighbor , but he may have been speaking of his regional dialect rather than the strict "textbook definition" . As in , "common usage" , which I just discussed with you in a different thread ....
Don't waste your time. I've decided, after seeing Sport's last posts in the other thread not to bother posting in any thread he or his buddy are posting in due to their immature game playing. Just not worth it.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Don't waste your time. I've decided, after seeing Sport's last posts in the other thread not to bother posting in any thread he or his buddy are posting in due to their immature game playing. Just not worth it.
Are those the same posts where people are screaming at others in CAPS and asking people if they are stupid, or insulting them because they don't agree with an opinion? Because those don't seem to be dripping with maturity. Just sayin......
Old 07-30-2016, 02:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

Good Morning Gents .....

Looking it up I see that both terms can be used interchangeably.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:23 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crickets....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.