Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon recently announced a new partnership with the UK government to pursue drone delivery. Here is a link Our battles are not over!

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36887325 Follow the link to read more about it.

*** Video of Senator Bill Nelson demonizing model aviation CLICK HERE ***

Also, don't forget that we have one Florida Senator Bill Nelson that continues to demonize Model Aviation. Senator Bill Nelson also has opened doors for other Amazon CEO owned companies such as building and launching rockets from the Space Coast of Florida.

Soon, within the next 5 years model aviation will have a much larger battle on it's hands. A battle of which is up against big money and big government.

I hope an offensive battle strategy by the AMA is being pursued before Amazon gets to far ahead.

A new battle is on the horizon. Do you think the AMA can win the next battle? Electing the right people into AMA EC and President can help insure a good chance...............
Old 09-13-2016, 12:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will always be some type of challenge ahead, not sure how aggressive the hobby or the AMA can be against the feds. They have been and will continue to be involved I'm sure.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:54 PM
H5487

Originally Posted by TimJ
Also, don't forget that we have one Florida Senator Bill Nelson that continues to demonize Model Aviation. A new battle is on the horizon.
I remember the chaotic days following the 9/11 attacks when Pres George Bush insisted that we remain calm and go about our regular daily activities because to change our way of life would be giving in to the terrorists. Little did we realize 15 years ago that the biggest threat to our freedoms and way of life would turn out to be our own elected officials!

Sad!

Harvey
Old 09-13-2016, 03:31 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by H5487
I remember the chaotic days following the 9/11 attacks when Pres George Bush insisted that we remain calm and go about our regular daily activities because to change our way of life would be giving in to the terrorists. Little did we realize 15 years ago that the biggest threat to our freedoms and way of life would turn out to be our own elected officials!

Sad!

Harvey
Amen to that and none should be surprised.. .

Mikeo
Old 09-13-2016, 04:12 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
There will always be some type of challenge ahead, not sure how aggressive the hobby or the AMA can be against the feds. They have been and will continue to be involved I'm sure.
All they really need to do is remind the Feds that there has been no real catastrophic interference with the NAS in over 80 years, and that we plan to continue to operate in the same manner we always have..........oh...........wait.............we forgot about embracing the drones who have the ability to navigate BLOS and autonomously in the NAS...........OOPS! Now THAT might be a tougher sell!!!!!

Astro
Old 09-13-2016, 04:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
All they really need to do is remind the Feds that there has been no real catastrophic interference with the NAS in over 80 years, and that we plan to continue to operate in the same manner we always have..........oh...........wait.............we forgot about embracing the drones who have the ability to navigate BLOS and autonomously in the NAS...........OOPS! Now THAT might be a tougher sell!!!!!

Astro
Oh if only we could go back to the good old days or free flight and making our nitro and gas powered warbirds go round and round in a circle. Why did technology have to muck things up. Drones=Bad! Thanks DRONES!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:08 PM
rcmiket

Astro
Pretty much a accurate summation of it but please remember we NEED them so desperately to save our organization. Were doomed without them. As they flock to join we must make way for them and bow to their every whim.

Mike
Old 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Pretty much a accurate summation of it but please remember we NEED them so desperately to save our organization. Were doomed without them. As they flock to join we must make way for them and bow to their every whim.

Mike
Don't think anyone has ever suggested "they" were needed to save the AMA. That's just not the case. That MR folks have joined the AMA has clearly upset the apple cart, and the more I see comments about bowing and making way for them, the more it seems like they are feared, rather than looked at as another means of flying.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:25 PM
astrohog

Don't think anyone has ever suggested "they" were needed to save the AMA.
Actually, you have alluded to that many, many times. Comments about "traditional" modeling being antiquated and adopting the new technologies in order to remain relevant. I think you may have even made references to other entities that have gone by the wayside due to not embracing, "the future".

Astro
Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 PM
porcia83
Banned

Actually, you have alluded to that many, many times. Comments about "traditional" modeling being antiquated and adopting the new technologies in order to remain relevant. I think you may have even made references to other entities that have gone by the wayside due to not embracing, "the future".

Astro
Nope, never. Not even close. That's your narrative, and yours alone. Mike has continued to mock the MR trend, and even gone so far as to deny the growing interest in MR, the relevance of those in the hobby today. By all means, if that's something I've said so often, or "alluded" to... post up some links. Not what you think I said, or how you interpreted it, but show me where I said it. I only fly fixed wing, I've said that about a hundred times, from new off the shelf stuff to 50 year old converted free flight stuff, and virtually everything in between. I don't think I'll ever fly a MR or Heli. I hardly think I'm not relevant because of what I fly.

What I have said is that I agree completely with the AMA having embraced MR and Drone into the hobby. They are part of modeling in every way. They appeal to a new breed of modelers, and we have absolute evidence they are joining the AMA. Many also fly helis and fixed wing aircraft as well. It would have been foolish and shortsighted for the AMA to have excluded them. We would still have federal oversight (the hobby already had for many many years at different levels), and only would have pushed future members out of the door.

Not sure what other entities I've referenced that have gone by the wayside, again if you have links post them up and we'll see how they are relevant to the conversation. In general organizations do need to adapt to change in order to grow and thrive. The AMA is no different. I'll keep going back to the example of free flight models. The truest "traditional" aircraft if there ever was one. If the AMA had ceased to explore and accept newer technologies along the way....we'd still be chasing them around fields.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 PM
astrohog

Nope, never. Not even close.
Oh, REALLY???? Here's an appetizer. If memory serves me, I will find plenty more, stay tuned!

Should the rest file in lockstep with those that don't allow differing opinions, pining away for the good old day while slowly becoming obsolete as the hobby passes them by?
Good Night.

Astro
Old 09-14-2016, 04:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Astro
Actually not such a tough sell. FAA just needs to understand 550.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Astro
Yeah, get with it. Soon we will be like vegetables and do everything wearing virtual goggles and virtual sensory suits!
Old 09-14-2016, 04:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Oh, REALLY???? Here's an appetizer. If memory serves me, I will find plenty more, stay tuned!

Good Night.

Astro
That's not even close to saying that the AMA must allow MR and FPV or slowly die. More like maybe flying old time radio control, maybe.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Good Night.

Astro
Hardly an appetizer, more like an amuse-bouche. But keep digging and spending time reading my old posts to take out of context, I knew giving this assignment would be funny. watch. CAPS are important too, they really drive home the thought, lol. As you hunt for quotes, make sure you quote the whole comment so we see the context. Copy in the comments from folks who admit that they won't participate in the hobby anymore because of drones or the registration. Don't forget the comments from guys who lament that nobody comes to them anymore for advice on how to scratch build, or use dope and silk span, or how to tune a nitro motor. Oh, and they hate foamy and arf planes too. Those are the folks who have voluntarily packed it in, taken their toys and gone home, angry and disappointed. That's not me saying it...it's them. I think it's a shame, there is room for everyone at the table. Plenty of fun to be had, plenty of flying to be done, regardless of the aircraft.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That's not even close to saying that the AMA must allow MR and FPV or slowly die. More like maybe flying old time radio control, maybe.
LoL, you picked up on that too?

Don't forget free flight, and control line!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock>scissors
scissors>paper
paper>rock
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Rock>scissors
scissors>paper
paper>rock
Adorned shirts>lapel pins.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Adorned hat > Bald head.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:07 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Rock>scissors
scissors>paper
paper>rock
Scissors cuts Paper
Paper covers Rock
Rock crushes Lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes Scissors
Scissors decapitates Lizard
Lizard eats Paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes Rock
(and as it always has) Rock crushes Scissors
Old 09-14-2016, 02:27 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Scissors cuts Paper
Paper covers Rock
Rock crushes Lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes Scissors
Lizard eats Paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes Rock

Played that with my grand daughter once during a cruise it was hilarious. She was hooked although I had to explain the Star Trek stuff.

Mike
Old 09-14-2016, 04:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Scissors cuts Paper
Paper covers Rock
Rock crushes Lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes Scissors
Lizard eats Paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes Rock
Awesome, lol!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	really.png
Views:	43
Size:	794.5 KB
ID:	2181123  
Old 09-15-2016, 04:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Played that with my grand daughter once during a cruise it was hilarious. She was hooked although I had to explain the Star Trek stuff.

Mike
How do you do hand gestures for lizard and Spock?
Old 09-15-2016, 05:26 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I was looking at the AMA blog recently, and the AMA believes that you have to be a member in order to participate in their CBO. Otherwise, you have to go through Part 107. Sorry to hijack your cruise and recipe thread.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:15 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
How do you do hand gestures for lizard and Spock?
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.png
Views:	23
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	2181156  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.