Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:21 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intent is clear, take any stat and try to spin it to show bad, show doom and gloom, and predict failure right around the corner. Pulling stats out of context and fitting them into one's ongoing and perpetual narrative has become second nature. Never a positive, never a number or action that can show an alternative view. Again, I'll say it's a dishonest and disingenuous practice. All the more ironic since anything even close to positive coming from the AMA is immediately trashed and discounted, but when there is something that can be used in a negative light, then all of a sudden it's gospel.

So still nothing about the increasing membership over the past 4-5 years? To much good news for this thread?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:40 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
What are we joyous about?
Our (model aviation community) amendment in the FAA Modernization Act should be temporarily extended for another year. Give more time for the AMA to come up with a way to make our exemption more permanent.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:54 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by franklin_m
In all fairness, it was an article in Model Aviation that provided the information about 15 year decline. While it's alleged above that we can't read, or that we're lying, I offer the following proof:

"Starting approximately 15 years ago, many model airplane clubs began seeing a decline in membership — fewer new people were joining and interested visitors to the flying field often did not return. This trend continues today. [emphasis added]."

"My efforts to highlight these tendencies and help stem the 15-year trend of declining club membership might prove to be wishful thinking."

- Dave Scott
- May 2016 issue of Model Aviation (the AMA's own magazine I'd add)

http://www.modelaviation.com/fostering-active-clubs

If you read carefully Franky, the article says club membership not AMA membership. One can still be an AMA member and not be a member of a club.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

In all fairness, it was an article in Model Aviation that provided the information about 15 year decline. While it's alleged above that we can't read, or that we're lying, I offer the following proof:

"Starting approximately 15 years ago, many model airplane clubs began seeing a decline in membership — fewer new people were joining and interested visitors to the flying field often did not return. This trend continues today. [emphasis added]."

"My efforts to highlight these tendencies and help stem the 15-year trend of declining club membership might prove to be wishful thinking."

- Dave Scott
- May 2016 issue of Model Aviation (the AMA's own magazine I'd add)

http://www.modelaviation.com/fostering-active-clubs

Ridiculous interpretation that fails to recognize the sentence construction. Note that

clubs began seeing a decline in membership
Old 07-15-2016, 07:30 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
All the more ironic since anything even close to positive coming from the AMA is immediately trashed and discounted, but when there is something that can be used in a negative light, then all of a sudden it's gospel.
Not entirely true. In response to your post (I think) about the State College club getting an award, I think I said something positive.

For the record, good that AMA increased total membership over the last handful of years. That's good. I also hope they stem the declining trend in revenue as well (in constant inflation adjusted dollars).

That said, absent a legal requirement to be a member, I'm not certain it's cost effective for me in the future. I haven't made the decision yet, as I still own some club sized planes. Although I haven't flown them in three years, I don't know that I'm ready to never fly them again. For me the bang for my dollar is at issue, $175 a year to fly a .40 - 60 size plane on a rough grass field where I have to wait for others to clear the runway so others can fly - not unlike the field you described.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:31 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
If you read carefully Franky, the article says club membership not AMA membership. One can still be an AMA member and not be a member of a club.
I wasn't talking about AMA membership. I was talking about club membership.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM
franklin_m

Our (model aviation community) amendment in the FAA Modernization Act should be temporarily extended for another year. Give more time for the AMA to come up with a way to make our exemption more permanent.
True, but it's also another year for FAA to continue their registration program. I'm reminded of a famous Reagan quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSxT8E9Ls5c
Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 AM
franklin_m

The intent is clear, take any stat and try to spin it to show bad, show doom and gloom, and predict failure right around the corner. Pulling stats out of context and fitting them into one's ongoing and perpetual narrative has become second nature. Never a positive, never a number or action that can show an alternative view. Again, I'll say it's a dishonest and disingenuous practice. All the more ironic since anything even close to positive coming from the AMA is immediately trashed and discounted, but when there is something that can be used in a negative light, then all of a sudden it's gospel.

So still nothing about the increasing membership over the past 4-5 years? To much good news for this thread?

And I'm confident that you and others will continue to present your views. I'm content to let the readers decide how much of each point to believe. I think you'll also agree that I tend to support many of my assertions source material quotes and links where applicable.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Never gonna happen. If it happened where would it end? Everyone else would jump on the bandwagon too. The NRA would require all gun owners to be members. AAA would require everyone with a drivers license to be a member.
I think more likely would be EAA and//or groups like those that advocate for part 103 fliers. It gets sticky in a hurry if FAA intimates in any way that membership is required. They can say you gotta follow CBO guidelines all day long - until the point where those guidelines say membership is required.

I'm happy to follow AMA guidelines whether or not I decide to continue my membership. For the $175 that it would cost me for AMA + club, I can pay for part 107 every year. That has the added advantage of a two year term, vice just one for the part 101 route. I'm already complying with the part 107 operating restrictions, so I'm not seeing a downside - unless of course the airport (co located with club field) won't allow 107 operations. That could affect my choice, but then again, I'm back to the "is an additional $175 a year worth it to fly 40-60 size airplanes a handful of times?"
Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 AM
TimJ

I wasn't talking about AMA membership. I was talking about club membership.
The club thing is more of a society problem. The younger generation want to be apart of groups, but don't want to deal with the old stuffy clubs ran by a board of people twice their age that are power hungry and have bad attitudes.

Take a look at Quad racing. There are thousands of groups, of people whom meet on a regular basis to race their quads. I think the model aviation community as a hole needs to take a serious look at this and adjust how they run their organizations so that the younger generations can feel welcomed.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM
rcmiket

The club thing is more of a society problem. The younger generation want to be apart of groups, but don't want to deal with the old stuffy clubs ran by a board of people twice their age that are power hungry and have bad attitudes.

Take a look at Quad racing. There are thousands of groups, of people whom meet on a regular basis to race their quads. I think the model aviation community as a hole needs to take a serious look at this and adjust how they run their organizations so that the younger generations can feel welcomed.
I keep hearing about these " thousands" of groups meeting to race quads but have yet to see it taking off no less taking over. Even the big money events lack the kinda spectator attendance to keep attracting the prize money that will drive it. I keep waiting for all this to materialize as I've been informed my a number of people here that it's our organizations future.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7bd102fcb33c0e1bc8743c8fe94c39c4.png
Views:	26
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2173021  

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-15-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

And I'm confident that you and others will continue to present your views. I'm content to let the readers decide how much of each point to believe. I think you'll also agree that I tend to support many of my assertions source material quotes and links where applicable.
Oh for sure. The "views" presented by those that don't line up to accept random links as gospel are usually shared with full context, or to show an alternative to the usual AMA=Bad the hobby is about to come to an end narrative. 10 years of painting virtually everything about the AMA as bad, versus some common sense logic.....I'm more than sure the average reader can draw the correct conclusion. All complaints and Monday morning quarterbacking, no real action, other than past comments working with personal injury attorneys against the AMA, and more recently threatening to use political connections to try to make things even more difficult for hobbyists. Still haven't heard from your most fervent supporter how he felt about that rather, pedestrian, tactic. The guy who cried wolf concept comes into play at some point, the message might be in need of adjustment.

The hobby will continue on, almost identical to the way it was years ago. Membership will ebb and flow in clubs and the AMA, and there will still be people complaining bitterly on the sidelines about anything and everything the AMA does. Meanwhile, flying goes on!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I keep hearing about these " thousands" of groups meeting to race quads but have yet to see it taking off no less taking over. Even the big money events lack the kinda spectator attendance to keep attracting the prize money that will drive it. I keep waiting for all this to materialize as I've been informed my a number of people here that it's our organizations future.

Mike
If you aren't looking for the information and open to accepting it, you'll never see it. You have consistently dowplayed any FPV/Quad racing event, no matter how big or small. If I'm not mistaken you even downplayed the $1,00,0000 event in Dubai, as if a teenager winning $250,000 was nothing? Can't remember any "traditional" aircraft company putting anything close to that up for prize money, can you? I like how the metric has been changed now to how many spectators attend, as if that's the measure of success, rather than how many pilots attend or how many companies sponsor the event. LOL.

As for the comment about MR being the future of the hobby by folks here....that just hasn't happened. It's as if the more it's said, the more it's true, but it's not. They will be a part of the future of the hobby, but nobody has said it's the future of the AMA. That is actually the twisted narrative of the virulently anti-AMA, who claim they sold the hobby down the river for the riches and fame involved with drones.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

This this this. So true, but you were kind to say twice the age, lol. One only has to look at the threads here and comments from the self proclaimed "traditional" hobbyists to see how anyone other than them might be treated. If its not a scratch-built J3 or Corsair....well, it doesn't really count. An ARF? As if, and don't get us started on foam. And those helis and annoying 3D pilots.

And that's even before getting into the make up of clubs, and the politics of the leadership in those clubs. It doesn't take much of a leap to see how some clubs, and some members, will try to keep anything "different" at arms length.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

The club I used to belong to has a quad racing obstacle course. Local clubs can increase membership by setting one up. Next I guess is FPV 3D heli's. I would love to watch that after they pull their goggles off!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:55 AM
TimJ

Mike
Here is a recent map showing pin points for some of the groups across the country.

You bring up a lack of spectators. I believe that part of the problem with that is a lack of spectator safety and good announcers. I'm sure that will grow over time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelectImage_2016-07-15-09-44-26.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2173023  
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 AM
franklin_m

I've also think that if we're going to capture more members, in AMA and/or in clubs, on factor that affects that is the consistency of the "customer experience." I'd love to fly on a nice paved runway, but the nearest is the better part of two hours away. While the one field that is close (and by that I mean 20 minutes one way) is a rough grass field that costs me an additional $100 year? Now I make decent money and could pay for paying's sake, but why? I'd much rather just adjust what I fly and eliminate the need to for a club field - which means I can fly a five minute walk away.

But the problem though, is that the club membership issue could prove to be a leading indicator of club membership. So thinking this out to a logical conclusion, if club membership continues the 15 year trend mentioned, then it will be more and more expensive for remaining members to support the club fields. Is it reasonable to assume that if the trend isn't reversed, there will be more, the same, or fewer club fields in the future? I think logic indicates fewer. Now, if you only require AMA to fly at a club field, and there are fewer club fields, then doesn't that mean less need for AMA membership? Again, I think so. But time will tell.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Here is a recent map showing pin points for some of the groups across the country.

You bring up a lack of spectators. I believe that part of the problem with that is a lack of spectator safety and good announcers. I'm sure that will grow over time.
A great visual, gives a good idea of what is really going in. I actually feel safer watching the FPV racers than I do helis. Some of the wild 3D stuff is intense!

I guess the NEAT Fair and NALL and SEFF can only be called a success now if there are tons and tons of spectators, rather than you know, pilots.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

I've also think that if we're going to capture more members, in AMA and/or in clubs, on factor that affects that is the consistency of the "customer experience." I'd love to fly on a nice paved runway, but the nearest is the better part of two hours away. While the one field that is close (and by that I mean 20 minutes one way) is a rough grass field that costs me an additional $100 year? Now I make decent money and could pay for paying's sake, but why? I'd much rather just adjust what I fly and eliminate the need to for a club field - which means I can fly a five minute walk away.

But the problem though, is that the club membership issue could prove to be a leading indicator of club membership. So thinking this out to a logical conclusion, if club membership continues the 15 year trend mentioned, then it will be more and more expensive for remaining members to support the club fields. Is it reasonable to assume that if the trend isn't reversed, there will be more, the same, or fewer club fields in the future? I think logic indicates fewer. Now, if you only require AMA to fly at a club field, and there are fewer club fields, then doesn't that mean less need for AMA membership? Again, I think so. But time will tell.
LoL...all logical conclusions end at bad news for AMA and clubs. And as always, time will tell.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:07 AM
franklin_m

Oh for sure. The "views" presented by those that don't line up to accept random links as gospel are usually shared with full context, or to show an alternative to the usual AMA=Bad the hobby is about to come to an end narrative. 10 years of painting virtually everything about the AMA as bad, versus some common sense logic.....I'm more than sure the average reader can draw the correct conclusion. All complaints and Monday morning quarterbacking, no real action, other than past comments working with personal injury attorneys against the AMA, and more recently threatening to use political connections to try to make things even more difficult for hobbyists. Still haven't heard from your most fervent supporter how he felt about that rather, pedestrian, tactic. The guy who cried wolf concept comes into play at some point, the message might be in need of adjustment.

The hobby will continue on, almost identical to the way it was years ago. Membership will ebb and flow in clubs and the AMA, and there will still be people complaining bitterly on the sidelines about anything and everything the AMA does. Meanwhile, flying goes on!

If what I'm saying is so obviously wrong, the links are so obviously unreliable, the quotes so obviously inaccurate, and what I say of generally so little value - then why spend so much time addressing it?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:54 AM
TimJ

The clubs that have survived thus far have adapted to the climate. Those that haven't will dry up and disappear.

What many people are not seeing is a very large generation of people starting to retire. There is a pretty good percentage that the ranks of model aviation will once again climb. AMA numbers have been showing growth the last three year or so.

Judging purely by the AMA membership numbers, I'm not sure that clubs will go away like you've explained Franklin. I'm just not convinced of that.

I am a member of the largest club on the west coast, second largest in the nation, a member of an association of 9 clubs that use the same field and a very niche club. All three have experienced flux in membership up and down. But nothing indicates that membership is dying. Absolutely nothing. What I have noticed is absolute change in what people fly, where they purchase, and what they purchase.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:16 AM
rcmiket

Those "pin points" ain't "thousands" is it? I think a more realistic numbers is hundreds. The map I posted is one of the biggest mutli-rotor sites out there. Time will tell if it's the hobby's and AMA's saving grace. I don't see that right now.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-15-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I think more likely would be EAA and//or groups like those that advocate for part 103 fliers. It gets sticky in a hurry if FAA intimates in any way that membership is required. They can say you gotta follow CBO guidelines all day long - until the point where those guidelines say membership is required.

I'm happy to follow AMA guidelines whether or not I decide to continue my membership. For the $175 that it would cost me for AMA + club, I can pay for part 107 every year. That has the added advantage of a two year term, vice just one for the part 101 route. I'm already complying with the part 107 operating restrictions, so I'm not seeing a downside - unless of course the airport (co located with club field) won't allow 107 operations. That could affect my choice, but then again, I'm back to the "is an additional $175 a year worth it to fly 40-60 size airplanes a handful of times?"
You know, that sounds terrible. I don't know how you deal with all these problems.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Those "pin points" ain't "thousands" is it? I think a more realistic numbers is hundreds. Time will tell if it's the hobby's and AMA's saving grace. I don't see that right now.

Mike
It's been my experience that lots of folks only see what they want to see.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK EVERYONE.... Here is the Official Word.... if you want to fly anything from a paper plane, to 1-1 giant scale rc plane. You have 2 choices of places to fly... You'll have to book your flying time in advance and probably be able to make 2 yearly flying trips. You have to choose either the Bonneville Salt Flats or the Burning Man Nevada Desert.... If you choose Burning Man, you can night fly with lights and sync your manuevers to the blairing techno going on at Burning Man...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.