Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ending mini-lawyering ... is it past time for AMA to require members follow the law?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ending mini-lawyering ... is it past time for AMA to require members follow the law?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 04:55 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Could you clarify that a little? I do post all over this and another forum and the other one isn't the one that several here are members of
Hydro, I have seen you several times offer useful information in other forums. IMO that is a great tie in to the other active thread in this forum. Not only do we need to attract new people to our hobby but we need to keep the guys we have. What better way to do that then help others to be successful. Odds are that guys who experience success through help and kindness are more likely to stick around longer. A much better route then just coming into a thread to pound ones chest and point fingers at others.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:57 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Just because we disagree doesn't mean we have to hold low opinions of one another.

Where is the disparaging comment here?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:59 PM
speedracerntrixie

1M recreational registered with the FAA non AMA members, where are they?

Mostly Multi rotor buyers, some of which are not active. Gifts that only got used a few times, fad that wore off.

Guys that started the hobby and other things took priority.

Traditional guys Like Hydro that aren't members but still do or still have plans to fly.

Now taking a look at the last segment. Small sample group but Hydro represents approximately 15% of the regular posters in this forum so it would be reasonably safe to say that 150,000 of that 1M are traditional guys flying without AMA membership.

I don't see a disparaging comment here either.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:01 PM
speedracerntrixie

Not claiming that they are but we don't know that they aren't. Both Futaba and JR have the Capitol to be working on something. Historically both are pretty tight lipped until ready to release. Both also have quite large markets here in the US.

Nor here, Astro do you read any of my comments? Clearly not ALL of them contain disparaging comments.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:56 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too many posts here are thrown out dangling in the wind

To avoid confusion make clear who and what your post is directed at.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:08 PM
speedracerntrixie

The person those are directed at is well aware.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:49 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nor here, Astro do you read any of my comments? Clearly not ALL of them contain disparaging comments.
LOL

even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile!

Astro
Old 05-31-2020, 03:10 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

All we have to do is look at who posts in forums other then the AMA forum to understand that.
Originally Posted by ECHO24
Too many posts here are thrown out dangling in the wind

To avoid confusion make clear who and what your post is directed at.
A quick search using the "find more posts by" feature will reveal who posts only here , VS who posts elsewhere at RCU other than the AMA forum .

Not that I would disparage anyone for where they do , and do not , post , , , , people should post wherever they feel their comments are most relevant .......
Old 05-31-2020, 05:21 AM
jcmors

Originally Posted by init4fun
A quick search using the "find more posts by" feature will reveal who posts only here , VS who posts elsewhere at RCU other than the AMA forum .

Not that I would disparage anyone for where they do , and do not , post , , , , people should post wherever they feel their comments are most relevant .......
This isn't the thread for this however, RCU forums seem to show very little activity in most of the other forum sections. I have tried posting in other threads here with very little response and many of the posts I read in other forum topics and threads are fairly old. Honestly I don't understand why as I like the layout of RCU in general it just doesn't seem very active. Perhaps here there is more activity in ground based RC?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:47 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by jcmors
This isn't the thread for this however, RCU forums seem to show very little activity in most of the other forum sections. I have tried posting in other threads here with very little response and many of the posts I read in other forum topics and threads are fairly old. Honestly I don't understand why as I like the layout of RCU in general it just doesn't seem very active. Perhaps here there is more activity in ground based RC?

IMO RCU has more lurkers than contributors. My current build thread is closing in on 19,000 hits but has had very few comments. As said before some of us here will find a subject in a different forum and contribute in efforts to he helpful to other members. I have seen Hydro do so not only on airplane threads but boats as well. Being that I spent numerous years as a Composites Tech I tend to offer suggestions on those threads as well the pattern, pylon, gasoline engine forums just to name a few. The AMA forum is pretty much a hotbed that is attractive to a certain personality type. IMO those who only post in the AMA forum could very well be the type who enjoy a good argument. Especially when they are able to do so anonymously.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 AM
jcmors

IMO RCU has more lurkers than contributors. My current build thread is closing in on 19,000 hits but has had very few comments. As said before some of us here will find a subject in a different forum and contribute in efforts to he helpful to other members. I have seen Hydro do so not only on airplane threads but boats as well. Being that I spent numerous years as a Composites Tech I tend to offer suggestions on those threads as well the pattern, pylon, gasoline engine forums just to name a few. The AMA forum is pretty much a hotbed that is attractive to a certain personality type. IMO those who only post in the AMA forum could very well be the type who enjoy a good argument. Especially when they are able to do so anonymously.
Perhaps there is another reason for posting here. Hydro made some good points in another thread stating that the hobby may continue but the AMA may not continue to be a part of it. I am a member of the AMA and most of the topics in this forum center around what the AMA has done or not done, the mistakes we may have made, the things that the AMA should be doing or should have been able to do. As hobbyists we need to do something if we want to continue enjoying our hobby. AMA or no AMA, other CBOS come on the scene or not. Getting the word out to the general public that there is a difference between what we do as "traditional hobbyists" and what the sensational stories in the news media depict as RC hobby behavior is important. There are things we can do to help shape public opinion in a more positive light. There really isn't another forum topic where this sort of discussion can take place, or is there and I'm missing it?

The AMA should have been able to, should BE able to have a more positive effect on the continuance of our hobby in my opinion but don't we each have some responsibility to do what we can as individuals as well?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:00 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

You can continue to have your opinions and cast dispersions all you want, it simply doesn’t make them true.

Who are you to question me? I’ve been a member in good standing here for 20 years.

These discussions only become “arguments” when those engaged refuse to accept and discuss the facts and instead, cast personal attacks at those who oppose their own personal opinions.

I’ve been waiting patiently for you to answer numerous questions about the facts in various threads, but you just keep trying to desperately deflect, move the goalposts, spin and now are trying to discredit me personally to avoid speaking to the facts. I’ve asked you to stop numerous times for the sake of the others here that do want to have meaningful and factual discussions, but it is clear that you will not, or cannot stop.

I do not expect someone of your ilk to answer my questions because it will prove your “opinions” wrong. You know it, I know it, all of the other participants here (especially Mach 5) know it. If you really wanted to be a responsible member here and have fruitful discussions, you would step up and answer to the inconsistencies and contradictions that I have called you out on, instead of trying to discredit me and make childish comments like, “Last I checked, it is a free country, I’ll do what I please....”.

I am a very open-minded individual who bases my opinions on the facts as I know them to be at the time of forming my opinions. If someone can show me facts that oppose what I thought to be true, I am ALWAYS happy to acquiesce, eat crow, and admit I was incorrect.

It looks like the rest of the folks on here are reasonable enough to understand that posting in other forums is not a pre-requisite to having valid opinions and discussions in this one, despite your attempted rhetoric.

Regards,

Astro
Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 AM
ECHO24

You can flatter yourself about your contributions elsewhere, but here in this forum you argue
everything down to the last grain of sand, using slurs like you're doing above.

" a certain personality type" is a personal insult someone uses when a discussion isn't going
their way. Save the psychological insights for somewhere else.

Last edited by ECHO24; 05-31-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

So, let's get back to the topic. We all know that the ED and powers that be in the EC are twisting what is coming from Congress and the FAA, if for no other reason than to prevent members from abandoning the AMA. When Rich Hanson tells members to fly as they always have, regardless of the laws, in writing twice no less, that should be a prosecutable offense, yet it hasn't been. Why hasn't the Indiana or federal AG stepped up and filed charges over this? I see misdemeanor level action at least in this case. Anyone have any ideas why there has been nothing filed as of yet? Is it the AG's are trying to prevent Rich from becoming a martyr for the cause of the AMA?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-31-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:44 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
So, let's get back to the topic.
Amen to that.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:35 PM
ECHO24

I finally found Amazon's NPRM comment on remote ID. Amazon supports the proposed rule entirely as well
as both broadcast and network via the internet. No mention at all about hobbyists or recreational flying.
Attached Files
Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, at least they did not say anything against FRIAs.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:05 AM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Well, at least they did not say anything against FRIAs.
Going by Amazon's comment a person wouldn't even know the hobby exists.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:26 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading the latest EC minutes, AMA is struggling to stay alive financially - let alone save the hobby.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:40 AM
ECHO24

"How far can a drone fly? It's a lot farther than you might think!"

Here's a lovely article yesterday from the Newswire Blog with tips on how to fly drones for "miles".
Only a brief mention of the FAA and nothing about rules of a community-based organization.
https://newswire.net/newsroom/blog-p...drone-fly.html

So I sent DE Brown, the editor, an email,

"Dear Mr. Brown,

You are encouraging people to break the law and risk an accident with a full-size aircraft.
Under no circumstances is it legal for an individual to fly a drone beyond visual line of sight.

The FAA has granted only a handful of exemptions to fly drones beyond visual line of
sight, and those are under strict conditions to companies vetted by the agency.

Drone flyers are required to follow the rules of a community-based organization, e.g.,
the Academy of Model Aeronautics. The rules are also listed on the FAA website."

I also sent him a link to the drone/Blue Angels incident on May 12th.

Last edited by ECHO24; 06-01-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 AM
ECHO24

Got an immediate response from DE Brown, in bold: "Thanks, I'll check it out."
The drone/Blue Angles incident I sent in a followup email. His response, Wow!

*** Question: Has the AMA ever contacted a publisher over misinformation
encouraging people to break the rules?

Last edited by ECHO24; 06-01-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:16 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The person those are directed at is well aware.
Then post your comments in a private message. And he should also. Some of us are getting sick of this personal attack hijacking of a very important subject. The AMA screwed up years ago - that is a fact. And it's not a personal attack - IT WAS AN ORGANIZATIONAL DECISION.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:56 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Then post your comments in a private message. And he should also. Some of us are getting sick of this personal attack hijacking of a very important subject. The AMA screwed up years ago - that is a fact. And it's not a personal attack - IT WAS AN ORGANIZATIONAL DECISION.

True enough. But now what? Endless carping about how they screwed up? This is a well known fact, how many more posts does this thread need to make that any more clear?
Old 06-01-2020, 02:01 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Got an immediate response from DE Brown, in bold: "Thanks, I'll check it out."
The drone/Blue Angles incident I sent in a followup email. His response, Wow!

*** Question: Has the AMA ever contacted a publisher over misinformation
encouraging people to break the rules?
I know that a couple of years ago they contacted Farmers Insurance about their drone commercial. Not sure what effort, if any, they put into policing every publication for inaccurate drone articles.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...e-commmercial/
Old 06-01-2020, 04:08 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
I know that a couple of years ago they contacted Farmers Insurance about their drone commercial. Not sure what effort, if any, they put into policing every publication for inaccurate drone articles.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...e-commmercial/
I'm not talking about policing anything. I turn up these articles easily with a few search terms, "drone incident/
accident", "drone invasion of privacy", "FAA drones", "drone rules", etc., in just a few minutes.

AMA by virtue of their CBO monopoly has been the de facto possessor of rules (if that's the right term) for all RC
flying since 2012. AMA has officers all over the country who could have answered egregious examples like the one
I found. A form email explaining the rules is not too much to ask is it? Doesn't AMA have a direct interest here?

AMA didn't want to offend the militant FPV fanatics who savagely attack anyone who dares to criticize drones.
(Steve Petrotto, who's crime was defending traditional model flying, looked like the blood was drained out of him
in that groveling interview). You can't be all things to all people. If AMA had shown some backbone instead of
stupidly believing droners were their future, the hobby might not have descended into anarchy.

There's plenty left to discuss about the demise of the hobby.

Last edited by ECHO24; 06-01-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.