Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ending mini-lawyering ... is it past time for AMA to require members follow the law?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ending mini-lawyering ... is it past time for AMA to require members follow the law?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 05:06 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

So, just one more thing where AMA failed to meet your expectations. We get it. You, and several others, feel strongly that AMA failed on many fronts. But I am at a loss to understand how long and why you all are going to keep beating this dead horse? I'm not getting what you think will come of it.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And you're right, it is a dead horse. The problem is that there are still people that blindly defend the AMA as "doing everything they could", which amounted to nothing of any substance. Had the powers that be actually worked with the FAA and made a clear statement that drones were a problem, not traditional aircraft pilots, distanced the AMA from drones and actually enforced the laws and vaunted "Safety Code", most of this thread would not be here. The sad part is it all points back to Muncie and Rich Hanson
Old 06-01-2020, 06:08 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
So, just one more thing where AMA failed to meet your expectations. We get it. You, and several others, feel strongly that AMA failed on many fronts. But I am at a loss to understand how long and why you all are going to keep beating this dead horse? I'm not getting what you think will come of it.
And I don't get why you think you're the arbiter of what's worth discussing and what's not.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing will change as long as folks keep thinking that the AMA has their back. That is the whole reason I am here, "beating the dead horse". Instead of AMA members DEFENDING the AMA, they need to let them know that they are disappointed and disagree with their actions. I am surprised you haven't been able to figure that out yet...

Astro
Old 06-01-2020, 09:08 PM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by astrohog
Nothing will change as long as folks keep thinking that the AMA has their back. That is the whole reason I am here, "beating the dead horse". Instead of AMA members DEFENDING the AMA, they need to let them know that they are disappointed and disagree with their actions. I am surprised you haven't been able to figure that out yet...

Astro
Ah, so you all are the protectors of the unwashed masses who don't know any better. Cool!!
Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Ah, so you all are the protectors of the unwashed masses who don't know any better. Cool!!
got no idea on who might be protecting who,

butt,

when some where close to 90% of the voting able membership, does not bother to vote in the pres of the org election, something is wrong with that org.
when that many abstain, those who do vote become the "protectors" of the non voters interest. good or bad, right or wrong. sad sorry state of affairs.

Last edited by mongo; 06-01-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by mongo
got no idea on who might be protecting who,

butt,

when some where close to 90% of the voting able membership, does not bother to vote in the pres of the org election, something is wrong with that org.
when that many abstain, those who do vote become the "protectors" of the non voters interest. good or bad, right or wrong. sad sorry state of affairs.
Okay, but let's look at this another way. Did that 90% not vote because they really didn't care or because they couldn't decide which was the better of two poor choices? I don't know who the other choice was but I do know the winner of an unfairly run election wasn't a good choice. Now, before anyone jumps on me, just remember, Rich Hanson belittled his opponent in the AMA's magazine and didn't give his opponent the chance to defend himself in that same magazine. To me, that's clearly unfair

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-01-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:16 PM
ECHO24

"you all"

Sorry Futaba, twisting astrohog's comment to mock all AMA
critics is a mirror of why AMA is doomed, deceit.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:35 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, but let's look at this another way. Did that 90% not vote because they really didn't care or because they couldn't decide which was the better of two poor choices? I don't know who the other choice was but I do know the winner of an unfairly run election wasn't a good choice. Now, before anyone jumps on me, just remember, Rich Hanson belittled his opponent in the AMA's magazine and didn't give his opponent the chance to defend himself in that same magazine. To me, that's clearly unfair

based entirely on my remembrances of the past 10-15 elections for pres, i will say, nobody cares. and the same can be said for almost all the dvp elections as well.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:16 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
based entirely on my remembrances of the past 10-15 elections for pres, i will say, nobody cares. and the same can be said for almost all the dvp elections as well.
Exactly .

At the risk of sounding like a skipping record , I'll say it again ;

If only about 10% of AMA members vote in AMA elections , I'd say that means for about 90% of the membership , the AMA is nothing more than an insurance policy so they can fly at the local club field .
Old 06-02-2020, 04:33 AM
Hydro Junkie

Assuming that assumption is correct, what could Muncie have done to change that, if anything?
Old 06-02-2020, 04:57 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by init4fun
Exactly .

If only about 10% of AMA members vote in AMA elections , I'd say that means for about 90% of the membership , the AMA is nothing more than an insurance policy so they can fly at the local club field .
BINGO!

When I was just a noob in this hobby, I kept my mouth shut and listened and watched and learned from those who were willing to share their skills and experiences with me. Early on, I was told how important the AMA membership was, not only for the insurance, but because they had fought to protect our RF frequencies and that they advocated for modelers in many different arenas. I've always trusted the AMA to have the best interest of their members as their primary concern and never questioned it until the drone issue started. I realized that as an AMA member for decades, I had never bothered to vote in elections, nor was the AMA discussed at my club meetings. So, after decades of being an AMA member and being very active in my local club(s), holding various offices, hosting fly-ins, editing the club newsletter, becoming a proficient builder and flyer, I realized that I had only really viewed the AMA as an "insurance policy". That is when I realized that I was invested in this hobby to the tune of many years and countless tens of thousands of dollars, and that collectively, the AMA was in trouble.

As I have become more involved in these forums, it has become clear that there are pretty much two types of AMA members; the 10% or so who actively engage in and run the AMA, and the 90% who pay their dues for the insurance. It is no different than AMA clubs at a local level; 10% do all the work, the other 90% just want to fly. This model lends itself perfectly to the, "Good Ole Boy Club" syndrome that runs rampant in just about EVERY club I have been involved with, as well as at the AMA HQ.

I have found those that cast dispersion on my posts do so because they are very much a part of the Good Ole Boy Club, and desperately try to avoid the curtain from being torn down and being exposed as the man behind the curtain.

Argue all you want, but the facts don't lie. And I refuse to stop searching for, and believing in the truth, no matter how many names I am called!

Astro
Old 06-02-2020, 05:25 AM
jcmors

BINGO!

When I was just a noob in this hobby, I kept my mouth shut and listened and watched and learned from those who were willing to share their skills and experiences with me. Early on, I was told how important the AMA membership was, not only for the insurance, but because they had fought to protect our RF frequencies and that they advocated for modelers in many different arenas. I've always trusted the AMA to have the best interest of their members as their primary concern and never questioned it until the drone issue started. I realized that as an AMA member for decades, I had never bothered to vote in elections, nor was the AMA discussed at my club meetings. So, after decades of being an AMA member and being very active in my local club(s), holding various offices, hosting fly-ins, editing the club newsletter, becoming a proficient builder and flyer, I realized that I had only really viewed the AMA as an "insurance policy". That is when I realized that I was invested in this hobby to the tune of many years and countless tens of thousands of dollars, and that collectively, the AMA was in trouble.

As I have become more involved in these forums, it has become clear that there are pretty much two types of AMA members; the 10% or so who actively engage in and run the AMA, and the 90% who pay their dues for the insurance. It is no different than AMA clubs at a local level; 10% do all the work, the other 90% just want to fly. This model lends itself perfectly to the, "Good Ole Boy Club" syndrome that runs rampant in just about EVERY club I have been involved with, as well as at the AMA HQ.

I have found those that cast dispersion on my posts do so because they are very much a part of the Good Ole Boy Club, and desperately try to avoid the curtain from being torn down and being exposed as the man behind the curtain.

Argue all you want, but the facts don't lie. And I refuse to stop searching for, and believing in the truth, no matter how many names I am called!

Astro
Astro, This echos my experience as well. Though I have always voted in the elections I think Hydro made a good point that it usually boils down to several poor choices and picking the least bad among them (really no different than other elections). I have also noticed that there is no discussion at club meetings about the organization as a whole or the things like the NPRM that affect modelers in general but rather just local club business. Local club business is important but I suggested in another thread that perhaps AMA HQ could suggest talking points to club leadership for discussions on organizational or regulatory issues. I also thought that perhaps by doing so each club could collect suggestions or ideas and send them back upstream to HQ for consideration. There are many intelligent people involved in this hobby. The "good ole boy club" however, may not want to elicit input, suggestions or ideas about the organization and the direction the membership thinks we should take. I think such a thing would be good for the organization but perhaps it would be bad for those in leadership as they then would know what the membership really wants and thinks. The AMA has many other venues to elicit such feedback. Polls perhaps conducted on the web site... "Do you think the AMA should embrace drones" for example.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:47 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Exactly .

Also why probably 90% become members of local clubs. That is based on observing the difficulty of local clubs finding anyone to run for office.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:15 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

BINGO!

Astro
It wasn't the "drone issue" that got me to realize the AMA was in trouble - it was the preceding issue of FPV as a whole. That is what led to the drone issue. Fixed wing rogue pilots flying way beyond line of sight and through city buildings and gloating about it. And AMA did nothing about it eve,n though it violated the safety rules. Not a thing. Totally ignored the issue. And worse yet, the manufacturers supported it by providing equipment for it - top RC manufacturers like Futaba. There were plenty of discussions about it at the flying fields and some even talked to AMA headquarters but they turned a deaf ear - wait and see. AMA seemed to have the position they had the FAA in their back pocket because of the 50 plus years of history. They forgot what it took to create that history. They let industry set the standards. Dollar signs overruled common sense that FPV would lead to destroying our hobby.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:04 AM
ECHO24

Exactly .

And what's wrong with that? A bunch of adults who've been flying RC for decades don't need AMA for
anything else. And it shouldn't matter who runs the place. It's a non-profit. There is an understanding that
someone doesn't come in and destroy the organization and the hobby along with it.

AMA is a closed shop. There's no point in getting involved in elections at HQ. When Hanson was re-elected
last November there was nothing to differentiate the other two other candidates. Even if one of the other two
had been elected it would be business as usual with Hanson still making the major decisions.

Supporting traditional model aviation at AMA only brings disparaging comments and mockery, as Lawrence
Tougas found out in the 2017/18 election. And not just from AMA. Here's an article from sUAS News mocking
Tougas with a song on YouTube, "Just Say NO" (to drugs).

https://www.suasnews.com/2016/08/law...t-just-say-no/
Old 06-02-2020, 08:15 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Assuming that assumption is correct, what could Muncie have done to change that, if anything?
Rather than look backwards at things that happened, why not look forward and ask what can Muncie do to increase membership participation.

I'm not optimistic there is much they can do. The vast majority of members belong for 2 primary reasons:

1) access to a flying site that requires AMA membership
2) desire to participate in competition

and there is overlap in those two groups.

Unfortunately I think they have decided to take an approach of supporting regulatory actions that will force membership. This is clear in their interpretation of 336 and also appears to be a hope hung on the FRIA concept in the RID NPRM. This is not a positive approach in my mind. I honestly don't know what they can do at this point. The apathy of members is also nothing new. Election participation has always been very low. If people cannot be engaged enough to return a postage paid postcard I feel there is little hope to reach them.

Hopefully other CBOs will be recognized by the FAA as required by Section 349. That competition may shake them up. If it does, great. If not, well they had a good run.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 AM
FUTABA-RC

Originally Posted by ECHO24
"you all"

Sorry Futaba, twisting astrohog's comment to mock all AMA
critics is a mirror of why AMA is doomed, deceit.
Didn't twist anything. I was not referring to "all" AMA critics. I was focused in on the small group of dead horse beaters that dominate this particular thread, and others in this forum.

I'm not particularly fond of the AMA myself. But I'm not clear on what the constant complaining does.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:20 AM
ECHO24

Didn't twist anything. I was not referring to "all" AMA critics. I was focused in on the small group of dead horse beaters that dominate this particular thread, and others in this forum.

I'm not particularly fond of the AMA myself. But I'm not clear on what the constant complaining does.
I'm not a "protector of the unwashed [AMA] masses who don't know any better."

You've got about a half dozen posts in a row with nothing but disparaging remarks.
Maybe try contributing an article or some new insight. Something at least.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:34 AM
FUTABA-RC

Ah, so disagreeing and/or questioning is now "disparaging"? I did not know that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 AM
ECHO24

You keep dragging the discussion off-topic with these ***-fot-tats.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:18 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by rgburrill
It wasn't the "drone issue" that got me to realize the AMA was in trouble - it was the preceding issue of FPV as a whole. That is what led to the drone issue. Fixed wing rogue pilots flying way beyond line of sight and through city buildings and gloating about it.
For clarifications' sake, when I say drone, I mean FPV. It's the technology and the capabilities that make it a drone, not if it is multi-rotor......

Astro
Old 06-06-2020, 06:18 PM
R_Strowe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Simple solution - don't allow these types of "model aircraft" in the first place. Any model RC that REQUIRES an altitude of greater than 400 feet or s speed of greater than 260 Knots to be safe is absurd.
Excuse me, but I NEVER condoned operating a MODEL AIRCRAFT at 260kts. I believe you are confusing that with min safe speed in a Boeing 767....

R_Strowe