Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 10:09 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler
That's a nice objective ... but without some sort of legitimate claim as to how the current regs violate their constitutional rights or conflicts with some other existing law, it will go absolutely nowhere. I might as well file lawsuit saying I don't want to be screened by TSA before boarding a flight.
Great analogy. It's hard to take some of this seriously. One thing is dead on arrival: "[RDQ and Tyler Brennan are]
… confronting the FAA’s rulemaking as … rampant with unlawful arbitrary and capricious decision making".

John Taylor (2018 decision) made the same "arbitrary and capricious" claims, under 5 separate arguments:
"We reject all of Taylor's arbitrary and capricious challenges to the rule".

RaceDayQuads' lawsuit is in the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the same court.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:33 AM
R_Strowe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Not as of yet.

It's being looked into of course.
Originally Posted by ECHO24
Great analogy. It's hard to take some of this seriously. One thing is dead on arrival: "[RDQ and Tyler Brennan are]
… confronting the FAA’s rulemaking as … rampant with unlawful arbitrary and capricious decision making".

John Taylor (2018 decision) made the same "arbitrary and capricious" claims, under 5 separate arguments:
"We reject all of Taylor's arbitrary and capricious challenges to the rule".

RaceDayQuads' lawsuit is in the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the same court.
The difference is that the Taylor lawsuit was based on A:80 years of model operations yet the FAA saw no need to exercise regulation over R/C ops, and B:the law in place (at the time) stated that the FAA may not promulgate any new rules or regulations for recreational operations.

I'm guessing RDQ will have a much more difficult time, since what they are claiming is not enumerated in the Constitution as a right.

R_Strowe
Old 03-24-2021, 07:49 AM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
The difference is that the Taylor lawsuit was based on A:80 years of model operations yet the FAA saw no need to exercise regulation over R/C ops, and B:the law in place (at the time) stated that the FAA may not promulgate any new rules or regulations for recreational operations.

I'm guessing RDQ will have a much more difficult time, since what they are claiming is not enumerated in the Constitution as a right.

R_Strowe
On "A" the court ruled that the FAA's "previous failure to regulate recreational model aircraft was an
exercise of regulatory discretion, not statutory interpretation".

On "B" the court ruled, "101.4 does not regulate section 336 model aircraft at all. On the contrary, it
simply defines the model aircraft that fall within 336(a)".

The court also rejected Taylor's claim that the FAA had no authority to regulate recreational model aircraft
that did not fall under 336 or 107, "the Act does not create the three separate regimes that Taylor perceives".

That 2018 decision will be the final word on the FAA's authority over hobby drones and Remote ID. It's a total
smack-down. On Rupprecht Law's drone lawsuit database it's only shown as "adjudicated", without comment.

----

(This is Taylor II, the challenge to the 2016 FAA rule (Part 107) that Taylor lost. Registration was Taylor I)

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-24-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:05 PM
ECHO24

The Taylor II decision, along with the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act section on Remote ID, means
RaceDayQuads lawsuit doesn't stand a snowball's chance.

" ``(f) Exceptions.--Nothing in this section prohibits the
Administrator from promulgating rules generally applicable to unmanned
aircraft, including those unmanned aircraft eligible for the exception
set forth in this section, relating to--

``(3) the standards for remotely identifying owners and
operators of unmanned aircraft systems and associated unmanned
aircraft;

"generally applicable" to RDQ. Note, the lawsuit was announced over a year ago, with no
grounds and nothing to sue over yet, before the NPRM comment period had even ended.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:45 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If only James Madison had thought to include this sentence in the Bill of Rights :
A well regulated airspace, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and fly model airplanes shall not be infringed.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:41 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

He might have, that is if more than just birds flew in his lifetime
Old 03-28-2021, 11:54 AM
ECHO24

If only James Madison had thought to include this sentence in the Bill of Rights :
A well regulated airspace, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and fly model airplanes shall not be infringed.
Tyler Brennan thinks it's in there somewhere..

Old 03-28-2021, 12:03 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
He might have, that is if more than just birds flew in his lifetime
It's not flying model airplanes per se Tyler Brennan thinks is a constitutional right, it's FPV, something so
intrusive police departments need a search warrant for it in some cases. Good luck arguing citizens have
free reign to do it for fun.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It's not flying model airplanes per se Tyler Brennan thinks is a constitutional right, it's FPV, something so
intrusive police departments need a search warrant for it in some cases. Good luck arguing citizens have
free reign to do it for fun.
GEEZ DUDE, CALM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't see anyone saying FPV or flying R/C aircraft is a constitutional right. All that was said is that a 2nd amendment type of statement about flying models would have been nice and that since only birds flew in that time made it unlikely to even be thought about. I don't see anyone going any further than that and I took the post I replied to as a "tongue in cheek" kind of statement and replied to it in the same vein. How about you go find a beer, or something harder, and take a chill pill as there's no reason to get all twisted up over the last two posts
Old 03-28-2021, 12:59 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

If only James Madison had thought to include this sentence in the Bill of Rights : A well regulated airspace, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and fly model airplanes shall not be infringed.
Given trends today, I'd think the thoughts of Joseph Stalin would be more apt : “A single model aircraft grounded is a tragedy; a million model aircraft grounded is a statistic.” and “Killing model flying is the solution to all problems. No flying - no problem.”
Old 03-28-2021, 01:58 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
GEEZ DUDE, CALM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't see anyone saying FPV or flying R/C aircraft is a constitutional right. All that was said is that a 2nd amendment type of statement about flying models would have been nice and that since only birds flew in that time made it unlikely to even be thought about. I don't see anyone going any further than that and I took the post I replied to as a "tongue in cheek" kind of statement and replied to it in the same vein. How about you go find a beer, or something harder, and take a chill pill as there's no reason to get all twisted up over the last two posts
Uhh, alrighty then, Mr. Takeseverythingpersonally. Nobody was saying flying RC was a constitutional right
until you said maybe it was, tounge-in-cheek hard to divine in context. Good on you for clearing that up.

--------------

While we're on the subject,

RDQ's lawyer Jonathan Rupprecht (ironically) posted a March 18th Michigan State Court of Appeals decision on his
website, in a case that turns RDQ's lawsuit on it's ear. At issue was a township using drone surveillance (a private
contractor) for code enforcement. The court ruled that the drone photos violated the 4th Amendment.

Arguing that FPV is a constitutional right presents a conundrum for Mr. Rupprecht, when the FPV itself can be
a violation of someone else's constitutional right to privacy.:

"persons have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their property against drone surveillance”

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-28-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:09 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"in their property ”
everywhere else is fair game.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:38 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by astrohog
everywhere else is fair game.
For that to be so assumes all other airspace is unrestricted. It's not. In any case,
it's not a constitutional right, which was the point.

-------------

Although the 4th Amendment concerns actions by government, this case differentiates aerial surveillance
from aircraft vs. that from drones, which applies to the reasonable expectation of privacy in general:

"The FAA regulations, 14 CFR part 107,5 require drone operators to keep drones within visual observation at all
times, fly drones no higher than 400 feet, refrain from flying drones over human beings, and obtain a certification.
Such rules reflect the fact that drones are qualitatively different from airplanes and helicopters: they are vastly smaller
and operate within little more than a football field’s distance from the ground. A drone is therefore necessarily more
intrusive into a person’s private space than would be an airplane overflight. Furthermore, unlike airplanes, which routinely
fly overhead for purposes unrelated to intentionally-targeted surveillance, drone overflights are not as commonplace, as
inadvertent, or as costly. In other words, drones are intrinsically more targeted in nature than airplanes and intrinsically
much easier to deploy. Furthermore, given their maneuverability, speed, and stealth, drones are—like thermal imaging
devices—capable of drastically exceeding the kind of human limitations that would have been expected by the Framers
not just in degree, but in kind."

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-28-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:16 PM
astrohog

For that to be so assumes all other airspace is unrestricted. It's not. In any case,
it's not a constitutional right, which was the point.

-------------

Although the 4th Amendment concerns actions by government, this case differentiates aerial surveillance
from aircraft vs. that from drones, which applies to the reasonable expectation of privacy in general:

"The FAA regulations, 14 CFR part 107,5 require drone operators to keep drones within visual observation at all
times, fly drones no higher than 400 feet, refrain from flying drones over human beings, and obtain a certification.
Such rules reflect the fact that drones are qualitatively different from airplanes and helicopters: they are vastly smaller
and operate within little more than a football field’s distance from the ground. A drone is therefore necessarily more
intrusive into a person’s private space than would be an airplane overflight. Furthermore, unlike airplanes, which routinely
fly overhead for purposes unrelated to intentionally-targeted surveillance, drone overflights are not as commonplace, as
inadvertent, or as costly. In other words, drones are intrinsically more targeted in nature than airplanes and intrinsically
much easier to deploy. Furthermore, given their maneuverability, speed, and stealth, drones are—like thermal imaging
devices—capable of drastically exceeding the kind of human limitations that would have been expected by the Framers
not just in degree, but in kind."
A person out in public has no reasonable expectation to privacy, whether it be from a drone, an airplane, a "traditional" photographer, or a surveillance camera. Precedent has been set countless times.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:50 PM
ECHO24

Franklin, db.c/DRONIN'ON has not been updated for a while. Have you heard anything from them?
Old 04-01-2021, 02:40 AM
franklin_m

Franklin, db.c/DRONIN'ON has not been updated for a while. Have you heard anything from them?
We chatted briefly late summer on another topic, but haven't talked with him since.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:37 PM
ECHO24

A person out in public has no reasonable expectation to privacy, whether it be from a drone, an airplane, a "traditional" photographer, or a surveillance camera. Precedent has been set countless times.
It wasn't in public. The ruling also specifically established that a drone differs from traditional aerial surveillance,
which is why it's important. Read the case before offering your expert opinion..
Old 04-02-2021, 05:56 AM
astrohog

It wasn't in public. The ruling also specifically established that a drone differs from traditional aerial surveillance,
which is why it's important. Read the case before offering your expert opinion..
Do you suffer from reading comprehension, or are you just looking for an argument?

I very clearly acknowledged your statement about it being on private property, I even quoted it and replied, "Everywhere else is fair game".

Try and keep up. Maybe you should take your own advice about, "expert opinions". I shouldn't have to explain my correct, plain English, just because you fail to understand it.

Astro
Old 04-02-2021, 12:42 PM
ECHO24

Do you suffer from reading comprehension, or are you just looking for an argument?

I very clearly acknowledged your statement about it being on private property, I even quoted it and replied, "Everywhere else is fair game".

Try and keep up. Maybe you should take your own advice about, "expert opinions". I shouldn't have to explain my correct, plain English, just because you fail to understand it.

Astro
First, the reason for your out-of-context responses is you're so focused on your wordsmithing that you don't clearly read what you're answering.
Second, learn to support what you say with a citation, statistic, quote from an expert, etc. Your personal opinion is meaningless.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:53 PM
astrohog

First, the reason for your out-of-context responses is you're so focused on your wordsmithing that you don't clearly read what you're answering.
Second, learn to support what you say with a citation, statistic, quote from an expert, etc. Your personal opinion is meaningless.
More words with zero content....if you are just trying to get the last word, just say so. If you want to have a meaningful discussion, write something that has some actual content.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:24 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

if yall don't straighten up, i am going to tell smithdoor where to find new folks to indoctrinate with his gibberish...
Old 04-02-2021, 04:22 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by franklin_m
We chatted briefly late summer on another topic, but haven't talked with him since.
Christopher Korody put out a lot of great information. Hopefully we'll hear from him again.

Last edited by ECHO24; 04-02-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:51 AM
R_Strowe

Originally Posted by mongo
if yall don't straighten up, i am going to tell smithdoor where to find new folks to indoctrinate with his gibberish...
Oh, god no! I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE😳

R_Strowe
Old 04-04-2021, 06:26 AM
ECHO24

The short version (for the hard-headed):

"We conclude that; much like the infrared imaging device discussed in Kyllo; low-altitude, unmanned,
specifically-targeted drone surveillance of a private individual's property is qualitatively different from the
kinds of human-operated aircraft overflights
permitted by
Ciraolo and Riley."

"The development of historically-novel ways to conduct unprecedented levels of surveillance at trivial expense
does not per se reduce what society and the law will recognize as a reasonable expectation of privacy."

It's taken a while for the courts to catch up, but it's the same dead-end for hobby drones, and for RC in general now
that "model aircraft" are no longer a separate category. Whatever a drone's camera records is "specifically targeted".

Old 04-04-2021, 07:28 AM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
Originally Posted by R_Strowe
Oh, god no! I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE😳

R_Strowe
Maybe they should be banished to the Island of Perpetual Tickling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.