Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ama

Old 06-03-2002, 12:37 AM
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ama

I really do think ther is a very important point that is being missed. There is a lot of talk here about the "mis-management or poor decisions of the AMA" Working in "Corporate America" I deal with a lot of important people who demand perfection and you better have a certificate to prove you are qualified to do your job.

THE AMA IS NOT LIKE THAT! They are run by people who are modelers first---business people second. Almost all presidents past and present have been modelers who first of all, CARE ABOUT THE HOBBY. I for one do not think they are in it for the paycheck. In an effort to keep this post short, I will simply say that I perfer it that way!
Old 06-03-2002, 11:24 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Communication

Red Knight

I can understand your frustration in attempting to deal with the AMA concerning your problems. I am a systems analyst and project manager and I live in a daily world of bringing problems and issues to the correct people for resolution. Two things I have found over the years are:

1. Sometimes it is not WHAT you say but HOW you say it. I have found this to be especially true in a written document (letter, memo, etc).

2. If possible, it is best to get the "major players" (decision makers) to sit down face to face to discuss a problem/issue.

So, why don't you contact your Region VP (Jim Mc Neil) and invite him to your site either at one of your club meetings or a "special meeting" that fits both sides schedule? You might also want to consider inviting an Associate VP (Lee Webster?) first. The AVP's are appointed by the VP to offer more local representation. Explain why you think it is important. Get your club members to support this effort and let Jim and whoever know. Once you get the committment, write a short letter back to the officer confirming the committment. Don't include any discussion; just a confirmation on the date, time and subject. CC (copy) this to AMA Headquarters (Dave Brown, etc).

If you can't get a committment from your VP or an AVP to meet with you and your club, then you should relay this information to AMA headquarters (Dave, Joyce, etc).

Remember, this is an emotional issue for you and your club. Be careful in HOW you state your concerns.

Good Luck.

Dan

edit starts here---

Oh yes, keep us informed as to the progress.

Dan
Old 06-03-2002, 07:58 PM

Default AMA

If it goes up how much will it be?
48 dollers now , what will it be if they do?
Old 06-04-2002, 10:46 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Default ZG77_OzZ

From what I have read, it will be raised eather 4 or 6 dollers, but they are also going to remove the senior citizen discount from the now 20% to the 10% that other place's give them, also they are considering raiseing the youths dues between 20 to 30 dollers a year. and few other things are going to be raised... just cant remeber them all right now...
Old 06-04-2002, 12:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Ama

Dant,

So, why don't you contact your Region VP (Jim Mc Neil) and invite him to your site either at one of your club meetings or a "special meeting" that fits both sides schedule? You might also want to consider inviting an Associate VP (Lee Webster?) first. The AVP's are appointed by the VP to offer more local representation. Explain why you think it is important. Get your club members to support this effort and let Jim and whoever know. Once you get the committment, write a short letter back to the officer confirming the committment. Don't include any discussion; just a confirmation on the date, time and subject. CC (copy) this to AMA Headquarters (Dave Brown, etc).
You don't know Jim McNeil do you! I recently invited him to a jet event we just had. I got an email response relating to me that I would not shame him into coming to our event......I wondered at the time where in the hell that came from. He did not show up. Now......if you are a club in Florida he will come for the weekend, spend less than an hour at the event handing out first aid kits, and Robert's rules of order, snap a few pictures.....then take the rest of the weekend for a nice vacation for himself. We get no help from our District V rep! Complaining about him to AMA headquarters will do you absolutely no good.

David Reid
Old 06-04-2002, 02:22 PM

Default District VP

David:

Sorry, I don't know Jim. Sounds like I really don't want to either. If what you say is true (and I don't doubt it), then why does he continue to get elected to the office??? How about an AVP or do they take their directions from the VP?

For a while here we could not get our District VP to attend our "Field of Dreams Fan Fly" but the AVP from Oklahoma always made the trip and spent at least one full day and sometimes came back for the second.

I am beginning to feel Red Knights frustration and it is most disturbing. So far, we (as a club) have had no major issues that required us to need assistance from either AMA HQ or our District VP. The more I hear - the more I hope we don't get to that position.

Red Knight - sorry, I just "assumed" normal business/working practices would at least open the door for you and your club and give you a chance to discuss your problems. Obviously, I have had my head in the wrong place.

Good luck....

Dan
Old 06-04-2002, 06:00 PM

Default 8 busks is not bad.

But this is what we have.
If you want to fly you need your AMA.
It stinks but , to CYA I think it is worth it.
IMO
Old 06-05-2002, 12:26 AM

Default Ama

The last election incumbant Jim McNeil ran as well as Tony Stillman, a third individual entered the race late in the game, thiis guy was for all intents and purposes a spoiler. He got the old fart vote, the guys that did not like the incumbant but did not want a lot of change in our district as well. FWIW the third individual that ran is in Tony's home club as well. Politics!!!

The AMA is not perfect but it is our orginization. The $48 a year cost really is small for the actual benefits. If it costs an extra $6-8 a year well that's just life. FWIW most insurance policies since 9/11 have seen increases of anywhere from 10-35%.

David Reid
Old 06-05-2002, 07:56 PM

Default Ama

I went to the AMA site and emailed Mr. Brown to come look at this thread. (Note: I did ask him to wade through some of the BS at the beginning by starting at the end and working backwards) He emailed me back in about 5 minutes to confirm the site and forum.

Not to imply I know him as this is the first time I tried to contact him. And not to imply that he will come read it, but then again maybe he will.

I hope that "RedKnight" and some of the others in Dist V might be helped m"IF" Mr. Brown comes and reads this. If things are as stated then District V has a real problem with thier elected members.:disappoin
Old 06-06-2002, 04:15 AM

Default Ama

DGrant,

Thanks for grabbing this animal by the reigns and reeling it back into reality.

I don't mean to stir the pot, but as evidenced by the rant of several individuals, it's obvious why Mc Neil got re-elected.

If people bothered to read what is being posted, and look at it objectively, maybe Rednights club wouldn't be in the dilemma it's in.

You can shout AMA unity until your tonsils bleed. But what was proven here was just the opposite. I'd think, if you'd defend the AMA and it's principles, you'd be the first in line to defend another club from being laid waste. But obviously that isn't the case. It's not your problem until it happens to you.

This guy and his club have their back to the wall, and I guarandamnteeya the E.C. is very well aware of Mr. McNeil, and his agenda. They also know his appointed VP's are directly under J.M.'s thumb.

This guy is pleading for help, so are you going to help him, or just keep eying him up for the right size cross.

My letters are already on their way....
Old 06-06-2002, 05:21 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ama

Let's really try and not mention ANY names here..Remember the reason for the thread. I know it may be tough, it's about getting through the issue at hand though. It's not a who's doing what, it's more of a "what can we do?".

I really want to leave this open, we just don't want anything that could be viewed as personal attacks at all.

Remember constructive.....

We allow for everyone to voice opinions, and this is what communication is, and this is what brings about ideas.

Try and use the office of which your referring instead of any names. Those in the
'Que' so to speak will know what your talking about .

The problems mentioned here just might be yours and mine someday, I say that with all due respect. We don't want that. Again, that's why we're still open on this thread.

We are all flyers, and hobbiest's here, and quite possibly instead of posting here, if you really want a say, write to your DistrictVP's and reps, as already stated by concerned fellow modelers.

Some of those out there that just might be on shoe-string budget's might appreciate your help.

I'm leaving this open once again, and appreciate keeping on track.

Thank you.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:44 AM

Default Ama

Sorry , but it is "I" who owe you the Thanks! Dale, for hearing me out.

I will, from here on out, respect your wishes.

For what it's worth, I think you do a helluva job here.

"Lord knows, I know it ain't easy!!"

Tom
Old 06-06-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Ama

OK I mentioned a name in particular but this club is in our district. One just has to look through Model Aviation for the last year and look at the District V column read it and tell me how many times you see a club, or event in Mississippi, Tenessee, or Alabama mentioned. Then count the times a Florida event is listed. Our District rep has been in office almost since the office was created. He does not fly RC nor is he an actvie modeler. I don't know him personally and don't care to after the tounge lashing I got from him after just inviting him to come to our jet event. It is just a shame we are stuck with him until the next election time. There should be some kind of term limits on these guys.

Increases the dues if they must....but cut the travel expenses of these VP's if they are not representing the membership like they should be.

David Reid
Old 06-06-2002, 12:43 PM

Default Ama

I promised myself I would not post to this thread again . . .but . . .I have a question. David R you said your rep is no longer an active modeler . . .why is he a representative? I am an account manager as a career (job) and all of the boses I have ever worked for require me to spread my time over my territory. Sure we concentrate where the activity is the greatest, but why do these District reps not attend at least one meeting a year and group as many clubs in each region? Think of the possibilities . . . 12 months . . .12 cluster meetings invite the clubs that are close to the areas where the meetings are held. IS this to easy or what. This thread has still gotten a little off what its original intentions were . . .even if the real concren that redknight had was lack of representation it surly was not written as such . . .I still think he is looking at the AMA in much to simplistic terms. They are much more than a "club." They are the organization that WE choose to shape our future in modeling. I have always seen the AMA as a place for me to get insured (not that I thought about it that way at first) and secondly an organization that would protect the hobby that I so dearly love. It will not be perfect, but I'm sure there are some pretty big companies that are just chomping at the bit to get their hands on our frequencies . . .then our hobby dies a horrible death. I will pay to protect my interests just as hunters, boats, and many other individuals that enjoy activities that require use of publis lands . . .isnt that what are frequiencies really are . . .a piece of property that the FCC ALLOWS us to use? Nothing is perfect, but as I said before I think there are a lot of individuals in positions of representation that claim they have "tried to get through on the phone, or make something happen" only to find they made one call and when things did not just fall into place they gave up.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:30 PM

Default clarification please

Dale:

Please, some clarification here.

Are you, as the moderator for this forum, saying that I should not have advised RedKnight to try to get a committment from his (name) VP or (name) AVP to attend a personal meeting with RedKnight's club to discuss the problems? And also, I should have not advised that, once the committment is made (or not made); he communicate that fact to AMA HQ (name) and (name)??

Not trying to be a smart*** here; just trying to get in line with the rules and regs for this forum.

I was just trying to offer RedKnight some advice - nothing else was intended.

Dan
Old 06-06-2002, 11:01 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ama

Hi Dan,
I'm letting this thread stand as is, and you were well within what we might be looking for as far as suggestion, to help with the situation that another user has. So your suggestions are well taken.

It's the naming of individuals I want to stay away from. I believe(also hoping)messages can get across, and to the correct parties without going personal(names). If anyone needs to be naming please go to PM or E-mails.

The views in this thread seem many, and there seems to be interest, and possible concern. Also, I need to add, the posts in this thread are of the users, and not necessarily those of RCU. We're simply providing a forum. We can thank our Admin for that.

I just can't let it go to any sort of bashing, and I really appreciate everyone helping me with that. I think that in itself is a big reason we're still running this thread.

Tom, thank you for your kind words, it's those things that make this worthwhile. Also knowing we might be helping a fellow modeler. I've been in this hobby for a long time, and have met some of the coolest people, and a big part of it is helping eachother. Alot of us wouldn't even know how to fly, if we weren't taught by another flyer.

These sort of issues can be sensitive to some, and I'm thinking we need to be aware of that, regardless of who they are. There are so many ways we can say/write and get messages across. That's all we're needing here, is just take a little time before you hit that "submit" button.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:32 PM

Default RE: Ama

Dear All,

I'm looking for someone to translate our screen descriptions into German, so that when we make our 35 and 40 mhz versions for Germany that the pilots there can understand the screens. Perhaps even a translation of the manual as a second step.

If you're capable of it and are willing to do so, then contact me at [email protected] to discuss compensation.

All the best,
Lewis Polk