Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA and Disabilities

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA and Disabilities

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:19 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA and Disabilities

ORIGINAL: F106A

March 18, 2004

Attn: Ken Obeshaw

Officers and Board of Directors of the R/C Fliers of Venice Fl.

In response to the event which occurred last week when you became physically incapacitated and unable to control your plane, we the officers and Board of Directors of the R/C Fliers request that you:

1. Relinquish your instructor's status and cease teaching prospective new pilots to fly. Should you have anyone in training now, turn them over to another instructor.

2. Curtail your personal flying activities to (Assisted Flying), using a buddy box with a competent pilot or have a competent pilot assist you while you

are flying so they may take over control should this problem recur

It is with deep regret that we have to take this stance, however, in lieu of the safety factors involved we have no choice.

Sincerely

Allen Wilder

President, R/C Fliers of Venice, Inc.

South County Heart Center

1225 Jacaranda Blvd. Veniice, Fl. 34292

Patient: Obeshaw, Kenneth
Account # 8694
DOB: 12/13/31
Date: 05/18/04

Mr. Allen Wilder
President- R/C Fliers of Venice, Inc.

To Whom It May Concern:

Kenneth should be medically cleared to continue flying radio-controlled flyers and should be able to continue teaching. Kenneth has an inplantable defibrillator and dilated cardiomyopathy, however, his defibrillator went off inappropriately due to an atrial arrhythmia. His defibrillator was reprogrammed and he should not have any inappropriate shocks. From a cardiovascular standpoint, Kenneth should be stable to continue both teaching and flying radio-controlled flyers.

If there are any questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to call.

Sincerely,

L.J.E. D.O.,F.A.C.C.
I see this event occurred March 2004. It appears that Kenneth's doctor responded two months after Kenneth was notified of his non-solo status.
If the BOD considered the doctor's letter too vague, why has it taken so long to state that ?
It appears Kenneth's doctor was very willing to cooperate with him. He could have written another letter the very next day . Or they could have called the doctor. The doctor's letter even invited the interested parties to call him if they had questions. That is extraordinary for a doctor to offer "To Whom it May Concern" an ivitation to call and discuss a patients health history !!! Did the board decide Kenneth's non-solo status should last one year ? Is there a new BOD? Is the new BOD's attitude toward Kenneth different than the old BOD's ?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:11 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

<snip>
I see this event occurred March 2004. It appears that Kenneth's doctor responded two months after Kenneth was notified of his non-solo status.
If the BOD considered the doctor's letter too vague, why has it taken so long to state that ?
It appears Kenneth's doctor was very willing to cooperate with him. He could have written another letter the very next day . Or they could have called the doctor. The doctor's letter even invited the interested parties to call him if they had questions. That is extraordinary for a doctor to offer "To Whom it May Concern" an ivitation to call and discuss a patients health history !!! Did the board decide Kenneth's non-solo status should last one year ? Is there a new BOD? Is the new BOD's attitude toward Kenneth different than the old BOD's ?
This is a weird bunch, Barney. The club BOD has illegally discriminated against Kenneth for nearly a year. The 'authority' they thought was backing them has collapsed, they could be up S*** Creek without a paddle if the action they deserve more by the hour is initiated against them, and they have the audacity to impose further conditions on the man before restoring his rights to him (see his post of about an hour before yours). Is it in the water?

Tact in audacity is knowing how far you can go without going to far. - Jean Cocteau

Abel
Old 03-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Groucho fan

Hi guys,
I got a little curious about the outcome, so I e-mailed Kennyo. He told me that they were hung up on the word "should" in his doctor's letter. As it turns out, his doctor would have written another letter that was acceptable to them way back in May of 04.
The club president finally requested and received this letter over a year later!!
So now he finally has all his flying priveledges back.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Groucho fan
So now he finally has all his flying priveledges back.

Congrats KennyO - not just for getting your flying priv. back, but also for overcoming the monumental mounds of BS that got put in your way !