Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 25 foot rule? >

25 foot rule?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

25 foot rule?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 25 foot rule?

Another interesting twist in the wording: It is ok to fly a 10 oz. foamy within 25 ft. of others indoors, but go outdoors, and it's not ok. Do they hurt more when your outdoors?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I fly micro heli's too... and giant scale gas....

sounds like that is a vision issue

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

One of the few times I agree with Hoss.....

Geeeez people... there is NO REASON to every be within 25' of anyone while flying!.... excpet landing or taking off....and even then if you are landing or taking off within 25' of another person....you need to practice takeoffs and landings!!!!!

Move on
exeter_acres

What you may not be considering is, the hobby has changed and is continuing to evolve. When I fly my palm sized heli I have a hard time seeing it well at twenty-five feet.

There is simply no way to make such a rule, as this, that does not discriminate against someone’s flying style or choice of aircraft or that may not be misinterpreted by a Barney Fife type or construed to the best effect by some ambulance chaser.

It is my contention that communication with all pilots and helpers involved is the best answer. If you’re not a pilot then shut up about what happens beyond the flight line. But if you are a pilot I am sure something can be worked out that all can be happy with…just keep an open mind and communicate.

Hmmm...I got it! I got it! Maybe there should be some rule about intentionally flying behind the flight line. Therefore the flight-line can be used to set the margin needed. On second thought that would be dumb…because it seems no one knows what a flight-line is…

Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 AM
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: bhole74

Another interesting twist in the wording: It is ok to fly a 10 oz. foamy within 25 ft. of others indoors, but go outdoors, and it's not ok. Do they hurt more when your outdoors?

bhole74

On target!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See the indoor rc guidlines

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/540-A.pdf
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks to those who helped clarify what I asked about.

Admin- You can close/ lock this thread so it doesn't become more off the original topic than it already has. My answer has been sufficiently answered.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

I have read the guidelines, designating a pit area and flightine are requirements, no requirement on how far away one must fly from those areas. It can be as little as 5 feet or as much as 50, no certain requirements. The indoor (gymnasium) events I have been to were something like this: Out of bounds line was designated flightline, stage was pit area. The stage was less than 10 feet from the out of bounds line (flightline), within the 25 feet. If we were to move out to the parkinglot, we would have to stay 25 feet away, according to the rule.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

I have read the guidelines, designating a pit area and flightine are requirements, no requirement on how far away one must fly from those areas. It can be as little as 5 feet or as much as 50, no certain requirements. The indoor (gymnasium) events I have been to were something like this: Out of bounds line was designated flightline, stage was pit area. The stage was less than 10 feet from the out of bounds line (flightline), within the 25 feet. If we were to move out to the parkinglot, we would have to stay 25 feet away, according to the rule.
There are no requirements in that document. None. It contains guidelines, no rules and no requirements.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Yah! Guidelines.

So rules are guidelines and guidelines are guidelines.

Tell that to the insurance carrier when you file a claim.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 PM

You got me, JR. I guess I should have stated "designating a pit area and flightine are recommended". Still the point remains what may be acceptable indoors is not acceptable outdoors. Much like if you were running around the neighborhood in your underware rather than in your living room.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:34 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

Yah! Guidelines.

So rules are guidelines and guidelines are guidelines.

Tell that to the insurance carrier when you file a claim.
Hi ďŠ

I am kinda curious. Are you a product of the California Public School System? I am guessing not, so here is a valuable tool for you. It is called a dictionary. You look up the word, and it will explain the meaning, so that you can be more conversant. You can also use it to determine the correct spelling of the word, however, that is more difficult and seems beyond your current level of comprehension. Here is an “on line” dictionary for your use: http://dictionary.reference.com/

There is this other tool called a “search engine”. Perhaps I will explain it to you another time.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:34 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

now:
there is a visual image i could have lived without

thank you
Old 12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
J_R

You got me, JR. I guess I should have stated "designating a pit area and flightine are recommended". Still the point remains what may be acceptable indoors is not acceptable outdoors. Much like if you were running around the neighborhood in your underware rather than in your living room.
Personally, I'm kinda happy they don't write a recommendation or rule for everything. The indoor guidelines could easily address a recommendation not to fly 40% birds indoors.

In spite of the fact that common sense does not appear to be common, the EC seems to still believe most modelers are so equipped.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:40 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plumber, you are correct about the Intermod, and yes that is what I was getting at in my original post. But if you look a couple of posts below the one that you quoted from, you'll see that I admitted that I was on the wrong path - i.e., The Intermod issue is not being discussed here.

Just trying to keep folks on track, and not follow the wrong tangent that I inadvertantly started...

Bob
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: J_R
Hi ďŠ

I am kinda curious. Are you a product of the California Public School System? I am guessing not, so here is a valuable tool for you. It is called a dictionary. You look up the word, and it will explain the meaning, so that you can be more conversant. You can also use it to determine the correct spelling of the word, however, that is more difficult and seems beyond your current level of comprehension. Here is an “on line” dictionary for your use: http://dictionary.reference.com/

There is this other tool called a “search engine”. Perhaps I will explain it to you another time.
Yah! Chur Ting! Nead Da AMA Dicksunairry cuz da reel ting juss doo nut haiv dar AMA's duffenishan of da woids.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mongo

now:
there is a visual image i could have lived without

thank you

Your Welcome![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-01-2005, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Plumber, you are correct about the Intermod, and yes that is what I was getting at in my original post. But if you look a couple of posts below the one that you quoted from, you'll see that I admitted that I was on the wrong path - i.e., The Intermod issue is not being discussed here.

Just trying to keep folks on track, and not follow the wrong tangent that I inadvertantly started...
My reason for bothering to explain that intermod has nothing to do with the "25 foot rule" is because not so very long ago a "fellow" club member tried to have me expelled from the club, during the next monthly club meeting, by claiming that I intentionally tried to shoot his model down by passing within 25 feet of him when I was leading my student back to the flight station.

One of the tricks I sometimes use is to walk the less astute student(s) down to the end of the runway so they can have a better perspective of how far off the runway centerline they have aligned the model on short final. In this instance, we were walking back to 'our' flight station and passed maybe 10 feet behind the "complainant".

More importantly, to me anyway, was the fact that a couple of other self-appointed field nazis in that particular club jumped on the bandwagon at that meeting and demanded that any pilot approaching within 25 feet of another pilot be taken to task by having their flying privileges suspended for six months, on the basis that such 'offenders' were obviously attempting to shoot down other models.

Fortunately for me and the majority of the other club members, we do still try to follow what Mr. Robert said about the way club meetings ought to be run, i.e. that both sides of a 'story' be heard. Only took me a few seconds to expose The Three Wise Men as technological ignoramuarios.

I was not aware that it is considered "off topic" to correct commonly held misconceptions regarding the reasons we have the few rules we do have. I certainly won't ever do _that_ again.

Bye now.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: J_R

The indoor guidelines could easily address a recommendation not to fly 40% birds indoors.

Hush up! Don't give them any ideas.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:43 AM

6. With the exception of events flown under official AMA Competition Regulations rules, excluding takeoff and landing, no powered model may be flown outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for the pilot and the pilot's helper(s) located at the flight line."

This rule could also mean that only the pilot and his/her helper (spotter) should be in the flying station within 25' of models either landing, taking off, making approaches on the runway. When the rule is followed and enforced, a buffer behind the flyers will keep spectators from gathering behind the pilots. This will eliminate talking, and excessive noise from interfering with the pilots situational awareness. Just one of many interpretations.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: boggey090

6. With the exception of events flown under official AMA Competition Regulations rules, excluding takeoff and landing, no powered model may be flown outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for the pilot and the pilot's helper(s) located at the flight line."

This rule could also mean... Just one of many interpretations.
Hmmm... Another: With the exception of events flown under official AMA Competition Regulations rules, pilot and pilot's helper(s) may stand at the flight line and fly powered models as close to themselves as desired outdoors, as long as minimum of 25 feet is maintained with all other individuals including pilots at the flight stations. Takeoffs and landings are expressly excluded from this 25 foot rule and afore mentioned minimums do not apply.

Wouldn’t it be easier…and better to just allow pilots to communicate and work out flight criteria as needed? Bottom line is that it really comes down to communication and consideration… Many times pilots have to make allowances for different skill levels, aircraft type and flying styles. Really shouldn’t be a big deal. If you don’t like what is going on beyond the flight-line, a short wait and it will soon be you turn. I have never seen a situation where pilots will not stand down or accommodate just about any situation, whether it is a maiden on a new turbine or a newbie’s first solo. What I have witnessed is the reluctance to communicate or make a nice request for a particular consideration.

Communication and consideration…bring people together…arbitrary and subjective rules divide.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

//SNIP//

Wouldn’t it be easier…and better to just allow pilots to communicate and work out flight criteria as needed? Bottom line is that it really comes down to communication and consideration…

//B-S snipped//

Communication and consideration…bring people together…arbitrary and subjective rules divide.
OH, Yes, right here within these forums, we can see just how effective such communication and consideration between individuals really is. What a crock?

Communication only happens when someone agrees with that whichever the other one so wishes to be true. The so-often used term, "Lack of communication" is just another social degradation upon the populace. There are right things and there are wrong things. In addition there are compromises where no one is satisfied. Some things require subjective rules. Have you ever flown in any Pattern, IMAC, or Scale contests? All the judging there is subjective. Only Pylon Racing is OBJECTIVE. As in the "Iditerod" if you ain't the lead dog, you only have one point of view. [:-] That is about the same as those that whimper the "We ain't communicating" thing because they are having to bend to a more definitive form of whatever.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:59 PM

Hoss

If you wish to joyfully march in the rank and file that is your prerogative.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoss

Whatever I do, crankshafT is my prerogative. My prerogative generally is a conservative, safe and sane style from due consideration to others right down to absolute zero consideration of those selfish self-serving individuals that I find not deserving such respectful consideration. Those that parrot '....better communication ..." find themselves near the bottom of that list.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

A failure to communicate is a failure by everyone who is involved. Absolute right and wrong is a sophomoric notion.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Hoss

Whatever I do, crankshafT is my prerogative. My prerogative generally is a conservative, safe and sane style from due consideration to others right down to absolute zero consideration of those selfish self-serving individuals that I find not deserving such respectful consideration. Those that parrot '....better communication ..." find themselves near the bottom of that list.
Hossgnat, re-read that and then tell me again how you dare give me crap for using the wrong your in a sentence.
You are a funny man. Sad, but funny.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Instead of 25', why doesn't the AMA make it 40'? That would be better in my opinion.

Just trying to bring this thread back on topic.

Woops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.