Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Needed! AMA president

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Needed! AMA president

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Needed! AMA president

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

I doubt if he is eligible at this time unfortunately, even if he wanted the job.

It is a strange fact of life as we know it. Those that want to have a position of responsibility are usually the worst possible choice. The best are called to duty and avail themselves only with great consideration.
What does it say about those that constantly denigrate the system but won't take on the responsibility of fixing what they perceive is wrong with it?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I doubt if he is eligible at this time unfortunately, even if he wanted the job.
It is a strange fact of life as we know it. Those that want to have a position of responsibility are usually the worst possible choice. The best are called to duty and avail themselves only with great consideration.
Those who offer great things in life come at a price. The office of AMA President comes at no price. Problem #1 is how to you get someone who is "worth their weight in gold" to be paid in attaboys. Personally I think the AMA President should be someone whom holds credentials, makes more money then the ED and has been elected. If that's the case then you'll see a lot more experienced applicants. Now you have someone who not only has experience, but has a real job to perform and at the very least has to answer not only to his/her members, but also his/her paycheck. I mean how hard can you really come down on DB seeing that what he does, he does for free. I mean even the President of the USA makes more money then any other Federal position which is not outsourced, what does that tell you.

I remember a story my grandmother told me when she first moved to America how she used to pay the Dr. in homeade Italian dishes for her childrens exams. Then I found out from others that their Dr.'s used to do the same thing, way back when. You could just simply pay the Dr. what you could afford. Times have changed and you no longer get anything in life for free or even partially free and I think the AMA needs to recognize this. I think the whole ED thing is way outdated. Just make him/her the President and let the buck start and stop with him/her.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

What does it say about those that constantly denigrate the system but won't take on the responsibility of fixing what they perceive is wrong with it?

You sure seem to have a hard time understanding. I have not been called to perform any duty and therefore I would be a bad choice...got it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84590.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	709909  
Old 06-24-2007, 11:17 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

I think the whole ED thing is way outdated. Just make him/her the President and let the buck start and stop with him/her.
I also agree.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

//SNIP//
I remember a story my grandmother told me when she first moved to America how she used to pay the Dr. in homeade Italian dishes for her childrens exams. Then I found out from others that their Dr.'s used to do the same thing, way back when. You could just simply pay the Dr. what you could afford. Times have changed and you no longer get anything in life for free or even partially free and I think the AMA needs to recognize this. I think the whole ED thing is way outdated. Just make him/her the President and let the buck start and stop with him/her.
Then get off YOUR butt and submit Bylaws changes and politick them through to reorganize the AMA.

Actually the current system is good, where in theory the membership has control over the AMA. THE FAULT lies strictly in the membership that will not take an interest and/or only interested in that which they can touch, taste or feel with their finger tips.

OTOH you want this to go the way of FOR-PROFIT Corporations where the Directors reward only themselves at the expense of the employees, their customers, and the corporation itself. Look at the US Airline industry: Rape the employees, the first contact a customer has with the company, use the government's ultraliberal laws to deny those retiring employees their negotiated pensions, while the Directors take multi-million $$ bonuses for themselves. Management blames all problems on the employee's salaries and none of the management has a clue about moving airplanes around the sky and the airports. Same for other giant corporations. So that is the way YOU want AMA to become. A REAL entrenched bureaucracy with absolutely NO chance of any response to the membership until the members all leave and the bankrupt system folds. Just a bit faster than what's happening now!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

[I have not been called to perform any duty and therefore I would be a bad choice...got it?
Non sequitor - Wouldn't that depend as much on the caller as it would the callee?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75163.gif
Views:	12
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	709930  
Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

I have read this post with great interest. From all I've read, I think Dave T. would make a good President. I would be very interested in hearing some of his ideas. God knows we need a change. Change doesn't require a stint as a Rhodes Schollar. All it takes is a dead seated dedication to make things right. A few years ago, I was "talked" into running for president of a local shooting club with assets of about 1.5 million. Why did they have property and cash of this value? Its because they didn't give a tinkers dam about the members or their needs. It was let the facility decay but build up that bank account . Needless to say, my approach was a smidge different. I realized long ago, that the (any) organization is built on the members backs. They are the ones who pay the dues and the fees not the officers. It is necessay for a officer to look at whats best for the members, without them we cease to exsist. Every member within that club knew anything thing I did was for them not somebody's ego. I dug into the funds and made massive improvments. When asked why by some of the former officers, I'd ask them a question, Isn't it THEIR club and don't they deserve it? Many times I received no answer, they would just walk away. With the improvements, I still managed to keep a healthy bank account and not raise shooting prices. We trimmed unnecessary fat and keep things that would benefit the membership. MY goal was to never lose sight of membership needs and how to make it better for them. Did I make some of the former officers mad? You bet, and to this day, they won't talk to me....oh well. Its not hard to make the AMA BIGGER & BETTER, that would come as a result of putting the member FIRST & FOREMOST. Joe
Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 PM
woopie
My Feedback: (6)

So true!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Then get off YOUR butt and submit Bylaws changes and politick them through to reorganize the AMA.

Actually the current system is good, where in theory the membership has control over the AMA. THE FAULT lies strictly in the membership that will not take an interest and/or only interested in that which they can touch, taste or feel with their finger tips.

OTOH you want this to go the way of FOR-PROFIT Corporations where the Directors reward only themselves at the expense of the employees, their customers, and the corporation itself. Look at the US Airline industry: Rape the employees, the first contact a customer has with the company, use the government's ultraliberal laws to deny those retiring employees their negotiated pensions, while the Directors take multi-million $$ bonuses for themselves. Management blames all problems on the employee's salaries and none of the management has a clue about moving airplanes around the sky and the airports. Same for other giant corporations. So that is the way YOU want AMA to become. A REAL entrenched bureaucracy with absolutely NO chance of any response to the membership until the members all leave and the bankrupt system folds. Just a bit faster than what's happening now!
[/quote]Well I certainly don't think that the AMA should go down the path of the private sector as a NFP, in fact thanks to laws and IRS regulations they cannot. However I do believe that the person that gets paid the most in the AMA should be the one that has to answer to its failure and its success. I do believe that there should be a "boss" in Muncie, but someone who only oversees the operations and that's where it ends. The only reason you don't see younger and more qualified guys on the ballot is because those people are out earning for themselves and their families first. The hierarchy of the AMA is very old fashioned and certainly not with the times.

Would be a funny thing to see Jim Cherry run for AMA President, but do you think he would go from $125,000 paycheck to $0.00 to have a job that actually has more power and influence within the AMA than he holds now? I think not, he's got a pretty nice gig now but for that much money he should be the one we call Preisident and not ED. Jim Cherry is doing his job for the money, not a bad thing, he might have a wonderful family to support. But like I said, why isn't he the person where the buck ends and the final decision maker is beyond my thoughts of reality.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Hossfly

Well I certainly don't think that the AMA should go down the path of the private sector as a NFP, in fact thanks to laws and IRS regulations they cannot. However I do believe that the person that gets paid the most in the AMA should be the one that has to answer to its failure and its success.
Would you please explain just whom this highest paid person with all the responsibility would answer to for any failure and/or success?
1. Couldn't be the Directors because that is already there and they answer to no one since the voting membership doesn't give a wet skunk about what's happening.
2. Couldn't be anyone else because there would be no one else.
3. Now the current Executive Director is responsible to the Executive Council for the as you put it: "....someone who only oversees the operations and that's where it ends."

I do believe that there should be a "boss" in Muncie, but someone who only oversees the operations and that's where it ends.
That is already established.

The only reason you don't see younger and more qualified guys on the ballot is because those people are out earning for themselves and their families first. The hierarchy of the AMA is very old fashioned and certainly not with the times.

Would be a funny thing to see Jim Cherry run for AMA President, but do you think he would go from $125,000 paycheck to $0.00 to have a job that actually has more power and influence within the AMA than he holds now? I think not, he's got a pretty nice gig now but for that much money he should be the one we call Preisident and not ED. Jim Cherry is doing his job for the money, not a bad thing, he might have a wonderful family to support. But like I said, why isn't he the person where the buck ends and the final decision maker is beyond my thoughts of reality.
Again, just to whom would HE report or answer to? The collective membership is set up to be the BIG BOSS. Under the membership comes the elected Executive Council (EC) or Board of Directors, set up to be volunteer MODELERS with an interest outside personal PAY, for running the show. Under the Ex. Council comes the AMA Head-Quarters which does all the administrative work which is under the main man known as the Executive Director answering to the EC.
That is a darn good system. OTOH when the top management -- MEMBERSHIP -- sits on their duff and accomplishes almost nothing in their overseeing responsibility, then the EC becomes even more lazy and right on down the line. Fortunately, AMA now has a good Executive Director, and he needs a supportive working EC. Therein lies the rub: same ol' membership doing same ol' nothing to provide real leadership with a vision to get AMA out of this orbit that has been such an albatross for far too long.

Until the membership recognizes its responsibility, and acts to make changes demanding a new tangent and direction, then throwing money at someone in Hdqtrs. is about like throwing money into that "hole in the water" most of us call a Bass Boat. No noticeable return-on-investment will appear.

edit: typos
Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 PM
littlecrankshaf

Non sequitor - Wouldn't that depend as much on the caller as it would the callee?

Nothing is funnier than when someone tries to display some intellectual witticism and then misspells the lead in. For future reference the correct spelling is; Non Sequitur...Now that is funny...ROTFLMAOPIMP

Red, you have been nothing but a troll in this thread. Nothing positive or constructive has come from you. You are either a great success or a miserable failure in this thread...your call…

Non Sequitur...yep!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:42 AM
littlecrankshaf

To answer you exceptionally witty question… Of course, I think you meant NON SEQUITUR instead of Non sequitor; It depends on the caller much more…that is the single biggest problem with the AMA…the apathetic membership that is kept in the dark and feed crap. The current reign wasn’t called but is here regardless and that is the problem.

Yes! We need a new president that can shine a light and led the shrooms into the 21st century by allowing this hobby/sport to go to the next level.

Now, Who and why???…

Red has put Dave M. in the hat but has said little to explain his rational…anyone else have something to add? Maybe no one cares…so be it.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

It depends on the caller much more…that is the single biggest problem with the AMA…the apathetic membership that is kept in the dark and feed crap. The current reign wasn’t called but is here regardless and that is the problem.

Yes! We need a new president that can shine a light and led the shrooms into the 21st century by allowing this hobby/sport to go to the next level.

Red has put Dave M. in the hat but has said little to explain his rational…anyone else have something to add? Maybe no one cares…so be it.
Apparently you missed post #12 where I posted Dave M's website. Here it is again: http://www.mathewson4pres.com/
Here he lists Campaign Statement, Background, Resume, AMA Committees, His District Columns, Photo Gallery and contact information.

My rational is that he is the best candidate that has come forward to run for the office. Good old Horrace was even elected as a District representative once and knows the territory pretty well . . . and has plenty of good ideas. The question is, does he have the finesse to sell them as an AMA officer.

And by the way, the present Officers of the AMA were elected by members that did care at least enough to vote.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Hossfly

RED: Here he lists Campaign Statement, Background, Resume, AMA Committees, His District Columns, Photo Gallery and contact information.
Red, DM is holding back on the campaign statement. Not there yet. That is an important part of what does he wish to do with AMA.

"Good old Horrace was even elected as a District representative once and knows the territory pretty well ." "..... has plenty of good ideas. The question is, does he have the finesse to sell them as an AMA officer.
Correction; Good old Horrace was elected TWICE, once over the incumbent, and the second time by WRITE-IN vote of the District VI voters. That write-in was because the all-knowing nomination committee left Cain and the late Earl Witt (then pres.) off the ballot for re-election. Earl was the best Pres. AMA ever had, and was the original idea man for a lot of the progress AMA Made in the "80s that others received the credit for.

Back then votes were counted in AMA hdqtrs. AMA staff hid the write-ins but Earl found them and made JW have them counted. I was re-elected with over 51% and Earl almost made it back. Back then one had to have 51% or there were run-off elections.

I ran for EVP in '81, and won however by only 49%. The run-off election was a source of contention, and thereafter ballots went to an outside source. Know whut ah mean??? That was a big part of my resigning in early '82 just after the Freq. Chairman resigned!

My greatest claim to fame was the November '81 meeting, where I may not have had "....the finesse to sell..." but I had the courage and willingness to BUY, so I arranged for the final release of the new 50 channels, already approved but being held up by a lower bureaucrat. About two weeks later the freqs. were released and soon after the Freq. chairman decided to get the _ell out of Dodge and I soon followed but also for a number of other reasons.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Sorry about the oversight on how many times you were elected.

I would like to see them go back to the 51% need to elect. So we have a run off, at least we would have a leader that 51% approved of. I recall a recent election in D-V where the incumbent was placed back in office with only 42.5%.

Winning a write-in in D-VII was great, seems like it we be no problem to get on the ballot this year by nominations from your own district. A lot of those people must still be around. Hope you make it. We were able to get a candidate on the D-V ballot in spite of efforts to keep him off, simply because he had more names on the nomination form than all the rest of the candidates put together. Hard to ignore something like that.

I'm sure your subsequent resignation had a lot more reasons than the opposition against you. It just isn't HC character to cut and run, at least I hope it isn't. I would hate to see the voting membership get sucked in by another Ross Perot like character from Texas.

You state, "I had the courage and willingness to BUY." You are not telling us that you bought a bureaucrat are you? :-)

Old 06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

To answer you exceptionally witty question… Of course, I think you meant NON SEQUITUR instead of Non sequitor;
Yes, I mistyped the word. Not hard to do on words I don't use frequenly. Check this one out, hear vs. here? [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6020066

Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Hossfly

You state, "I had the courage and willingness to BUY." You are not telling us that you bought a bureaucrat are you? :-)
Why would I buy something like that? No need for it, they're totally non-productive. 'Nuff said! [sm=48_48.gif]
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 AM
STLPilot

Well I certainly don't think that the AMA should go down the path of the private sector as a NFP, in fact thanks to laws and IRS regulations they cannot. However I do believe that the person that gets paid the most in the AMA should be the one that has to answer to its failure and its success.
Would you please explain just whom this highest paid person with all the responsibility would answer to for any failure and/or success?
1. Couldn't be the Directors because that is already there and they answer to no one since the voting membership doesn't give a wet skunk about what's happening.
2. Couldn't be anyone else because there would be no one else.
3. Now the current Executive Director is responsible to the Executive Council for the as you put it: "....someone who only oversees the operations and that's where it ends."

I do believe that there should be a "boss" in Muncie, but someone who only oversees the operations and that's where it ends.
That is already established.

The only reason you don't see younger and more qualified guys on the ballot is because those people are out earning for themselves and their families first. The hierarchy of the AMA is very old fashioned and certainly not with the times.

Again, just to whom would HE report or answer to? The collective membership is set up to be the BIG BOSS. Under the membership comes the elected Executive Council (EC) or Board of Directors, set up to be volunteer MODELERS with an interest outside personal PAY, for running the show. Under the Ex. Council comes the AMA Head-Quarters which does all the administrative work which is under the main man known as the Executive Director answering to the EC.
That is a darn good system. OTOH when the top management -- MEMBERSHIP -- sits on their duff and accomplishes almost nothing in their overseeing responsibility, then the EC becomes even more lazy and right on down the line. Fortunately, AMA now has a good Executive Director, and he needs a supportive working EC. Therein lies the rub: same ol' membership doing same ol' nothing to provide real leadership with a vision to get AMA out of this orbit that has been such an albatross for far too long.

Until the membership recognizes its responsibility, and acts to make changes demanding a new tangent and direction, then throwing money at someone in Hdqtrs. is about like throwing money into that "hole in the water" most of us call a Bass Boat. No noticeable return-on-investment will appear.

edit: typos
You can't really convince me likewise Hoss. The system the AMA has is very old. The person that holds the most responsibility can answer to the members, the EC and a paycheck. The AMA President is the overall decision maker in the AMA as per the bylaws. That person should receive a paycheck equal or greater then the ED. THEN you will see action happen by someone worth their weight in gold. If you have to pay the EC then pay them too, at least something.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 AM
littlecrankshaf

To answer you exceptionally witty question… Of course, I think you meant NON SEQUITUR instead of Non sequitor;
Yes, I mistyped the word. Not hard to do on words I don't use frequenly. Check this one out, hear vs. here? [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6020066

I guess the difference is I wasn’t trying to show how witty or smart I was…[X(]
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM
littlecrankshaf

Red, DM is holding back on the campaign statement. Not there yet. That is an important part of what does he wish to do with AMA.
Correct...Dave has posted in this forum and hopefully will again. Right now most votes for him would be by default by those that would vote for him...probably not enough to get the job done.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
abel_pranger

Correct...Dave has posted in this forum and hopefully will again. Right now most votes for him would be by default by those that would vote for him...probably not enough to get the job done.
Dave M has a discussion forum to discuss his views on AMA issues [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/ama-presidential-candidate-dave-mathewson-488/?s=ea2e10a1a09d1abc57609ef905d8cfa6]here[/link].

Abel
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Dave M has a discussion forum to discuss his views on AMA issues [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/ama-presidential-candidate-dave-mathewson-488/?s=ea2e10a1a09d1abc57609ef905d8cfa6]here[/link].

Abel
I've talked to Marc and Nathan and they have agreed to do the same thing here on RCU. If anybody knows Dave M could they please let him know to contact me about setting one up here? This same thing will apply to all candidates running for this office.

Ken
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I've talked to Marc and Nathan and they have agreed to do the same thing here on RCU. If anybody knows Dave M could they please let him know to contact me about setting one up here? This same thing will apply to all candidates running for this office.

Ken
Will that '....same thing..." be started BEFORE or AFTER the Nominating Committee meeting on Aug. 12, 2007, which will pick the real 3 Candidates for the ballot? Prior to that selection there are 6-8 that may well be running.

What about a non-selectee for official ballot that declares himself a write-in?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ken
Will that '....same thing..." be started BEFORE or AFTER the Nominating Committee meeting on Aug. 12, 2007, which will pick the real 3 Candidates for the ballot? Prior to that selection there are 6-8 that may well be running.

For right now it will be offered to anybody on the official AMA ballot. As far as write in's let me talk it over with Marc and Nathan and see what they want to do on that one.

Ken
Old 06-26-2007, 06:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ken

Horace,
Ok, I got word from Marc and Nathan and they have agreed that somebody with a write-in campaign will be allowed too. But they need to be a legitimate candidate with real support, not just somebody with an issue they want to air in public.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.