Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why do we have outlandish fees to join AMA clubs?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why do we have outlandish fees to join AMA clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do we have outlandish fees to join AMA clubs?

[/quote]
Some clubs have a huge investment in their facility. It is not unreasonable for them to require a buy in to the equity they have built up.

equity???

Your not going to get any "equity" from a field that your renting?
espeically if its on public land......Open space use laws etc.

Remember why the field was created?
who created it?
whats its purpose? certainly not getting....equity
Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Even though I have always found club dues a bargain, I have often wondered why there hasn't been a real push for public flying sites by the AMA. It does amaze me that since 1936 there hasn’t been much interest to promote the hobby any further than the membership.

Oh, I guess someone will weigh in with some innocuous or incidental examples of promoting the hobby but an AMA assisted public flying field, where AMA membership is not an absolute requirement, is truly the litmus test in my mind of AMA’s resolve. An organization committed to “promoting the hobby” should have an arsenal of viable means for flying fields to exist. Currently, there is essentially only one member based method.

It sure would be nice if STL could get some real help for the Central Park, Park Flyers. BTW I do really mean that.
Although this too would be a great idea, the first thing that struck me about this proposal was "who would take care of it?". What most of us may take for granted is that these fields and sites do not only not mysteriously just appear out of nowhere, if they are not taken care of they will cease to exist. Building and creating them is only the initial part, the true test comes with keep them maintained and in good general condition, and this is not an inexpensive premise.
I cringe when I hear people complain about "park flyers" not being able to share the local fields, which is maintained usually by a club which these people do not want to belong. The fact remains that it is a "slap in the face" of those who maintain and pay to maintain a field, for others to take it upon themselves that they should have the right to use it without the committment to maintain it. We all need to contribute. Some use their talents to teach newbies, while at the same time they help cut grass and trim weeds. It is a group effort, that we all need to participate in.
Tommy
How about the AMA showing the municipalities the worthwhileness of the hobby. Believe it or not the cities are much more amenable than most think if portrayed properly. All bets are off when you talk liabilities and accidents…the most common mistake...The AMA and its members usually play the wrong cards at the worst possible time when talking to a city. Why? I just don’t know. I guess it is hard for most of us to illuminate the positives first and foremost…somehow death and destruction becomes the basis for the need of a club and AMA… Unfortunately, that is the very same reason we (collectively) are so challenged when attempting to acquire flying fields... go figure.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:26 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lilcrankshaf,
While I agree it is a noble effort to "promote" the hobby, it is also our duty to let those individuals realize up front that there are expectations of them as well. I am sure your are hoping that your efforts to recruit will pay off with new members, which in turn will help contribute to keepig and growing your field. It is our duty to inform potential new members and interested parties up front that we really encourage them to become part of the club, or our group, and to fly and assist us in our endeavors (which includes field maintenance). If we do not do this, not only are we not being fair to them, they will end up feeling ill at ease with us when we expect this of them later on. And let's be honest with ourselves, we will expect them to do this. We can paint a rosy picture that we will not, but that is not the case. No matter what we say, it is not a free ride, we all expect something in return for our efforts down the road, to say differently is just to kid ourselves.
The main reason some do not want to be a part of a certain club or group is usually because of the the unrealistic expectations of either themselves or the group. Letting people know up front what you expect from them in return for the investment of your time and energy is a fair and honest way of not only recruiting but KEEPING new members. At our club we give everyone two free lessons and allow them to meet the members of the club and see our facility, and then we expect them to join the AMA (even if it is the trial membership) and commit (though they not necceasirly join till they get the money) to the club before we take training them very seriously. Is that too much to ask? The AMA membership is a requirement based upon our lease with the county, and the club membership lets us know that this person is serious about it. Not all clubs are this way, and to some of you it probably sounds a little drastic, but teaching some folks to fly can not only require a huge amount of patience, but also a huge amount of time. Time is precious to some of us, especially to those who may not get to fly but a few hours on a weekend. Lessons are free, but it should come with some committment by the new pilot that they are really serious about learning to fly.
Tommy
Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Oh BTW I just want to mention; at one of the flying clubs I belong to we have recently decided to cut the dues in half for new members. Our resolve is real but then again it is not an AMA club...go figure. I think it is a grand idea and I don’t mind paying twice as much as the new members…matter of fact I think this club truly understands what promoting the hobby is all about. I am lucky I belong to two clubs that really has a genuine interest in promoting the hobby…not just mere words.
You should be able to cut them. Your are sharing a public park with another club that has funded any improvements.
Red

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Seems all to common that you take shots at me. As a moderator here you are way off the spectrum. Why you hassle me I do not know but it bodes negatively on you to the say the least.

Your continue attacks on me are getting old and stale. I have refrained many times from retaliating but you are making this very hard. I am tired of all of you innuendo and inferences.

Please, stop and act like a grown up. You should be replaced IMO.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
DocYates

How about the AMA showing the municipalities the worthwhileness of the hobby. Believe it or not the cities are much more amenable than most think if portrayed properly. All bets are off when you talk liabilities and accidents…the most common mistake...The AMA and its members usually play the wrong cards at the worst possible time when talking to a city. Why? I just don’t know. I guess it is hard for most of us to illuminate the positives first and foremost…somehow death and destruction becomes the basis for the need of a club and AMA… Unfortunately, that is the very same reason we (collectively) are so challenged when attempting to acquire flying fields... go figure.
Again, I think you are doing a disservice to not let everyone know up front that there are things that have to be considered. If everyone involved is informed from the GET GO about the potentials of liability from an accident then there are no unexpected surprises down the road. That however should be followed with an actual report of accidents and the fact that they are few and far between. Given the litiginous actions of the community at large, no self respecting municipality in their right mind would ever engage in an endeavor such as this WITHOUT getting this information. I have seen people sued for what most of us would shake off and forget, but they look at it like a lottery. Given the exorbitant sums which a frivilous lawsuit can generate, and the sum to defend it, you could build a whole lot of R/C parks.
I would never belong to club that does not have some form of liabilty protection in place, I cannot and will not risk my family's well being for my hobby. Sad but true. And right now the AMA is the only game in town. The club charter, with a certificate for the landowner is a realtively inex*****ive, but again it does cost something. these things start to add up. They all play a part in the reason it costs money to join a club.
Tommy
Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 PM
littlecrankshaf

lilcrankshaf,
While I agree it is a noble effort to "promote" the hobby, it is also our duty to let those individuals realize up front that there are expectations of them as well. I am sure your are hoping that your efforts to recruit will pay off with new members, which in turn will help contribute to keepig and growing your field. It is our duty to inform potential new members and interested parties up front that we really encourage them to become part of the club, or our group, and to fly and assist us in our endeavors (which includes field maintenance). If we do not do this, not only are we not being fair to them, they will end up feeling ill at ease with us when we expect this of them later on. And let's be honest with ourselves, we will expect them to do this. We can paint a rosy picture that we will not, but that is not the case. No matter what we say, it is not a free ride, we all expect something in return for our efforts down the road, to say differently is just to kid ourselves.
The main reason some do not want to be a part of a certain club or group is usually because of the the unrealistic expectations of either themselves or the group. Letting people know up front what you expect from them in return for the investment of your time and energy is a fair and honest way of not only recruiting but KEEPING new members. At our club we give everyone two free lessons and allow them to meet the members of the club and see our facility, and then we expect them to join the AMA (even if it is the trial membership) and commit (though they not necceasirly join till they get the money) to the club before we take training them very seriously. Is that too much to ask? The AMA membership is a requirement based upon our lease with the county, and the club membership lets us know that this person is serious about it. Not all clubs are this way, and to some of you it probably sounds a little drastic, but teaching some folks to fly can not only require a huge amount of patience, but also a huge amount of time. Time is precious to some of us, especially to those who may not get to fly but a few hours on a weekend. Lessons are free, but it should come with some committment by the new pilot that they are really serious about learning to fly.
Tommy

I guess we should have swing set clubs also or tennis clubs or merry go-round clubs... My point is that as a "worthwhile hobby" we should also have its place within the park too... I would much rather fund a public flying field with tax dollars than many other things. There is a park here that has a very elaborate set up for Frisbee golf...many more dollars expended for an even smaller group than those that use our flying site. I think we should try to get our sport recognized as well. I just can't find anything wrong with promoting our hobby but alas others can and will...a real shame to say the least. Continue on and find more reasons why not…I will look for more reason on how to…deal?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
littlecrankshaf

Again, I think you are doing a disservice to not let everyone know up front that there are things that have to be considered. If everyone involved is informed from the GET GO about the potentials of liability from an accident then there are no unexpected surprises down the road. That however should be followed with an actual report of accidents and the fact that they are few and far between. Given the litiginous actions of the community at large, no self respecting municipality in their right mind would ever engage in an endeavor such as this WITHOUT getting this information. I have seen people sued for what most of us would shake off and forget, but they look at it like a lottery. Given the exorbitant sums which a frivilous lawsuit can generate, and the sum to defend it, you could build a whole lot of R/C parks.
I would never belong to club that does not have some form of liabilty protection in place, I cannot and will not risk my family's well being for my hobby. Sad but true. And right now the AMA is the only game in town. The club charter, with a certificate for the landowner is a realtively inex*****ive, but again it does cost something. these things start to add up. They all play a part in the reason it costs money to join a club.
Tommy
You proved everthing I said.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
DocYates

Yours is a great concept and I am not attacking your idea, I too would love to see it, but unfortunately I think it requires more land to fly R/C than is required for a swing set or a tennis court. Land is an expensive commodity. I mean look at what they charge to play a single round of gold, and in my town there are no less than 8 or 9 golf course within a 20 miles radius. Some of the more expesive ones require a one or two week reservation just to get in on the weekend. A single round of golf can cost up to a $100, and some of these are supplemented with local government dollars. There is also a frisbee golf course here in my town, and it goes thru the woods off the side of a local baseball park. Again, the number of people who use it, is probably small compared to the number of locals who fly R/C.
I am not discounting your premise, but in reality we do not have a "free" ride currently and until we do, we have to pay to play.

BTW I am glad I "proved" everything you said, if you cannot see the need for laibility coverage, you need to get your head out of....the sand or wherever it is. It is only gonna take one simple case to make a believer out of you, and I pray you are never in that position. The AMA, and its members, should be serious enough about this to make it known. I see people doing stupid things all the time at the flying fields, and wonder how long it will be before it bites them in the arse. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to protecting ourselves.
Tommy
Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
littlecrankshaf

Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
littlecrankshaf

Oh BTW I just want to mention; at one of the flying clubs I belong to we have recently decided to cut the dues in half for new members. Our resolve is real but then again it is not an AMA club...go figure. I think it is a grand idea and I don’t mind paying twice as much as the new members…matter of fact I think this club truly understands what promoting the hobby is all about. I am lucky I belong to two clubs that really has a genuine interest in promoting the hobby…not just mere words.
You should be able to cut them. Your are sharing a public park with another club that has funded any improvements.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Seems all to common that you take shots at me. As a moderator here you are way off the spectrum. Why you hassle me I do not know but it bodes negatively on you to the say the least.

Your continue attacks on me are getting old and stale. I have refrained many times from retaliating but you are making this very hard. I am tired of all of you innuendo and inferences.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM
littlecrankshaf

Yours is a great concept and I am not attacking your idea, I too would love to see it, but unfortunately I think it requires more land to fly R/C than is required for a swing set or a tennis court. Land is an expensive commodity. I mean look at what they charge to play a single round of gold, and in my town there are no less than 8 or 9 golf course within a 20 miles radius. Some of the more expesive ones require a one or two week reservation just to get in on the weekend. A single round of golf can cost up to a $100, and some of these are supplemented with local government dollars. There is also a frisbee golf course here in my town, and it goes thru the woods off the side of a local baseball park. Again, the number of people who use it, is probably small compared to the number of locals who fly R/C.
I am not discounting your premise, but in reality we do not have a "free" ride currently and until we do, we have to pay to play.

BTW I am glad I "proved" everything you said, if you cannot see the need for laibility coverage, you need to get your head out of....the sand or wherever it is. It is only gonna take one simple case to make a believer out of you, and I pray you are never in that position. The AMA, and its members, should be serious enough about this to make it known. I see people doing stupid things all the time at the flying fields, and wonder how long it will be before it bites them in the arse. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to protecting ourselves.
Tommy

I guess it never occurred to you but cities generally have liability insurance for their park activities. Also liability insurance is something you buy to protect yourself...doesn’t guarantee anyone else is going to be taken care of in case of an accident...it only covers your liabilities...so buy some if you are worried. I hear the AMA is a good source...good at the park too!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
DocYates

I guess it never occurred to you but cities generally have liability insurance for their park activities. Also liability insurance is something you buy to protect yourself...doesn’t guarantee anyone else is going to be taken care of in case of an accident...it only covers your liabilities...so buy some if you are worried. I hear the AMA is a good source...good at the park too!
Hmmm....no I guess I never thought about the municipality's insurance, what a novel idea. Of course, when I talk to their lawyer, he always points out to me that their insurance agent is quick to adjust their rates based upon their activites, and most "cost conscious" municipalities frown upon further increases in their rates. That is why they require additional protection for themselves, and why they expect US as the group using the land for OUR benefit to pay for it.
As to your comments directed at me, I already have insurance, not only thru the AMA, but with my additional umbrella policies. It may costs me a little more, but I will defintely sleep better at night.
The way I see it, there are two types in this crowd, the GIVERS and the TAKERS. In the words of a great humanitarian, the TAKERS will eat better, but the GIVERS will sleep better. It does not bother me to pay my way, I expect to have to do it.
You obviously have some deep seated problems with the AMA, or with some of your local flying groups, exactly why is that?
Tommy
Old 07-26-2007, 02:32 PM
littlecrankshaf

As to your comments directed at me, I already have insurance, not only thru the AMA, but with my additional umbrella policies. It may costs me a little more, but I will defintely sleep better at night.
Then why are you so worried? It seems you do understand. So what if the muni pays more money for our hobby??? That is OK and a good thing isn't it? I can't understand your problem with having public flying sites...they are fine with me!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Then why are you so worried? It seems you do understand. So what if the muni pays more money for our hobby??? That is OK and a good thing isn't it? I can't understand your problem with having public flying sites...they are fine with me!
Now we are getting to the heart of this, some feel our hobby should be subsidised by the government. Not understanding that a government strong enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take all you have.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96219.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	730360  
Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
littlecrankshaf

Again you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The flying site of the club I spoke of, that reduced their dues, is privately owned. You should read posts a little closer and check your facts a little better.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Again you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The flying site of the club I spoke of, that reduced their dues, is privately owned. You should read posts a little closer and check your facts a little better.

OK so this is not the Texas Unlimited Fun Flyers that you formed. Private land - rented, leased or owned by the club? Or is "donated" at no cost to your other club. What were the dues originally before they were reduced? How much were they reduced?
Others would love to know how you reduced the dues without impacting the operation. Give us some facts.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
DocYates

I guess the reason is because that money that the municipality is paying out has to come from somewhere, and in reality that somewhere is my taxes. If they have to raise the taxes to fund my flying field, then how long it is before the "quilters" need a shed, the "horseshoe throwers" need a park, or some other group. I think we need to be fiscally responsible, and pay our way, and quit expecting to ride to great heights on the backs of others. There is enough of that already. I am all for being charitable, and try to practice this quite often, but the downside to being charitable is that those who do not need it soon come to know where they can get a handout.
As long as I am paying taxes, I want to exert some fiscal responsibility.
Tommy
Old 07-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Sorry, there are still some that have a problem with government paying for anyone's hobby that is not widely enjoyed by the general public.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
JUGFLIER

Red,
Where i live 2 years ago they passed a one cent a gallon tax on gas to pay for golf course construction. This could go on ad-nauseum, Local, state and federal government pays for things all the time enjoyed only by the rich. One example is the "ARTS".
Government funding of opera... ect... ect..
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
DocYates

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

Red,
Where i live 2 years ago they passed a one cent a gallon tax on gas to pay for golf course construction. This could go on ad-nauseum, Local, state and federal government pays for things all the time enjoyed only by the rich. One example is the "ARTS".
Government funding of opera... ect... ect..
I too live in the same area. This tax was really intially brought to the public's attention for that reason especially by those who found no favor in it, but in reality it was about a huge project that did involve the whole community and would return back to everyone. That golf course project was part of a hotel/convention center project to promote tourism. The land was donated by a local businessman who saw that in the long run we would gain much more than we ever paid out. Thanks to that project we have a nice hotel and convention center. The hotel is one of the top Marriot's in the country and has had a 99% occupancy rate since it opened. The golf course is part of a "Trail" which in reality helps to fund state retirement for the teachers and government employees. Since the reality of this project, north Alabama has atracted a new boxcar plant which will employ over 1800 workers with good wages. Not a bad investment for a 1 cent gas tax, in my opinion. I doubt we could get that much out doing the same to build an R/C park....LOL
I too was initially agianst this tax because I saw it as a way of funding another golf course for the rich, but when the truth came out, there was really much more to it. Knowing all the things that have been planned or built in your neck of the woods Jug, I would imagine that your property values have certainly increased.
Sometimes things like this work for the public good, and in this instance I would have to say they did, and still are, paying back our investment.
Tommy
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
littlecrankshaf

As long as I am paying taxes, I want to exert some fiscal responsibility.
Tommy

As long as I am paying taxes... I want more to go to our sport. How bout you? I don't do soccer.... LOL I think our sport is more interesting than Frisbee golf
Old 07-26-2007, 03:45 PM
littlecrankshaf

OK so this is not the Texas Unlimited Fun Flyers that you formed. Private land - rented, leased or owned by the club? Or is "donated" at no cost to your other club. What were the dues originally before they were reduced? How much were they reduced?
Others would love to know how you reduced the dues without impacting the operation. Give us some facts.
Red'

II could explain all the petty details to you but obviously you can't fathom the concept of giving to others, even to promote the hobby. You would have already answered (in concept) your question with your own actions if you were able understand. So…Answering your questions is an exercise in futility. But if someone desires to really understand, I wouldn’t mind in the least to give further details to genuine and germane questions if it might help.

People do things for many different reasons…notoriety, profit, fame….maybe just for control….few just give! ….where exactly are you on the spectrum.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to have some control of how your tax dollars are spent, first you vote, then you lobby. [X(]
Old 07-26-2007, 04:55 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: John Casey

The point of this is.....

CAN WE MAKE IT CHEAPER TO GET INTO OUR CLUBS without going into the red?

Its not going to really hurt us to TRY is it? Can we do better?
Mr. Casey,

I suggest that you run for an office in the club and see what you can do instead of complaining about how much things cost. I think your vision will become 20-20 instead of fuzzy images of club expenses.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

ORIGINAL: John Casey

The point of this is.....

CAN WE MAKE IT CHEAPER TO GET INTO OUR CLUBS without going into the red?

Its not going to really hurt us to TRY is it? Can we do better?
Mr. Casey,

I suggest that you run for an office in the club and see what you can do instead of complaining about how much things cost. I think your vision will become 20-20 instead of fuzzy images of club expenses.

In defense of John, he is an officer in his club http://www.wdarc.org/. They have a extremely nice facility. I would love to know how this plan works out for his club. John, please keep us all updated.

Jimmy Skids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.