Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Membership Directory?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Membership Directory?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Membership Directory?

I got a card from AMA in the mail asking me to call so they can update some info on me. I call and he goes through some prying and then it happens, they want me to send them a pic so it can be placed in this membership directory nationwide and then he tells me it will cost only 90.00 over my renewal. I then said I don't need to be in this directory, thanks but no thanks, and hung up the phone.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Membership Directory?

Mine sez it's from :

Harris Connect Directory Office
For Academy of Model Aeronautics

I'll pass.
Dave Olson
Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 PM
BSARGE

ORIGINAL: Scar

Mine sez it's from :

I'll pass.
Dave Olson
Mine says the same....I was thinking this was strange and thought if one called they would try and sell something....

I'll pass too!

-Bill
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they want me to send them a pic so it can be placed in this membership directory nationwide and then he tells me it will cost only 90.00 over my renewal
Yeah but think of how much better the directory would look with your hunky picture in it!!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
decay

So thats what its all about! I wonder how the'll make out with
their directory?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
airega1

Hey Ben, thought that was you
Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Frank, It's me. I received the card and and an email today requesting a call from me to update my "biographical information." I would send them a photo but the only recent ones I have are the photos of my spread in last month's Playgirl magazine and I don't think they would be appropriate.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one too. Didn't know about the price tag.[:'(]

If you want to find me, show up at the Carolina Crew reedie race or come in here to RCU. No mystery.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

What is AMA doing? Are they selling members information to a private company?
Sounds like another AMA idea gone bad..........My 2 cents worth.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Fredsterman

I'll find out when mine arrives in May '08[]

Old 11-14-2007, 02:28 AM
AERORICH73

Hi fellows: I read somewhere that the AMA got a deal to give an outfit the list of members for $40K, even if no members purchase a directory. I am not sure of the accuracy of what I read, BUT are you sure you want your personal info published nation wide even if the $40K is inaccurate? The $90.- price tag had not been mention before. What a zap job this is.

Rich S.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Mode One

Let's be sure the AMA is actually involved in this before we get all huffy towards them and if involved, to what depth is the AMA's involvement. This sounds like a scam to me and if not a scam at least someone doing some data farming!! Data farming is a fact of life today and not alway because someone (possibly the AMA) has made this information available; but, because we ourselves may have inadvertantly made this information available.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Let's be sure the AMA is actually involved in this before we get all huffy towards them and if involved, to what depth is the AMA's involvement.

They got their information from the AMA, thats enough involvement for me. I don't want to have anything about me published in Harriss listing period. AMA should not have provided my information to them in the first place PERIOD.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

OMG. What's the big deal. I think the AMA is trying to figure out a way to bring back the AMA as a membership based org by bringing their members TOGETHER. At least they are trying. Every single time the AMA tries something ... here we go again. It's always the worst possible scenario.

Harris is the publishing company, they are not going to sell your names to anyone, they've been in business a long time now and wouldn't be where they are if they were in constant breech of contract and that's exactly what they will be if they sell your name. They have a contract with the AMA. Also who said the AMA invested anything, typically they don't charge a dime, just make money on the books.

The AMA has partnered up with them in hopes that members might want to purchase the directory, just like a school yearbook. Just because YOU don't want the directory of your membership based org, doesn't mean someone else won't.

I found this link for the chicken littles: http://www.harrisconnect.com/privacy.html There is also a link to the right "Directory Program" which will EXPLAIN why many organizations like the AMA utilize their service.

Here is another link from a college that uses the service and they posted this for their super-paranoid students. I figured the AMA, since it's average is 50+ year old "men" they could prolly figure out on their own it's intended purpose, guess not.

http://www.deltadeltadelta.org/news/...ctory_FAQs.asp

I hope this ends the confusion.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
vicman

Strangely I am in agreement with STL here. It's just like an alumni directory, no big.
All this hubub was covered in another thread about a month ago.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Let's be sure the AMA is actually involved in this before we get all huffy towards them and if involved, to what depth is the AMA's involvement.
They got their information from the AMA, thats enough involvement for me.
Can I ask you to prove to me the statement you make above, is the truth?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
vicman

I gave em everything they asked for except for an order. If it were half that I might consider it. Especially since I don't have any long lost RC buddies out there. I know right where all of you are.

Shoot I even gave them my RCU handle.

The guy, Javier, was very pleasent on the phone.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's be sure the AMA is actually involved in this before we get all huffy towards them and if involved, to what depth is the AMA's involvement. This sounds like a scam to me and if not a scam at least someone doing some data farming!! Data farming is a fact of life today and not alway because someone (possibly the AMA) has made this information available; but, because we ourselves may have inadvertantly made this information available.
Just like I presented in the thread, "AMA Member you're going to be famous."

http://www.modelaircraft.org/promos/Harris.aspx
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
AERORICH73

Fellows: I guess the real question about this directory is did the AMA go with this idea of advancing the Academy nationwide, help the membership find lost buddies, OR MONEY. So far there has been no discussion what the AMA received for passing the membership list to Harris. If monies were received by the AMA, what program is going to benefit this added income? Does anyone remember the credit card offer? Now we have this Directory Offer. Yes, I can find my name on the internet with info about me, and I did not personally give it out; so we all could be listed somewhere with more personal information than we want, but this is the new information gathering frontier we face in todays world. Seems to me that there is no need to add any more of our personal information through this directory. Now who knows if the AMA will share in the $90.- collected from each directory sales, and if so where is this money going. All the members are already on file at the headquarters, and if there was a thought about listing all members by state and city in a publication for the members to purchase, this could have been offered prior to printing without having to get a different business to do it for $90.- a copy. No further personal information is really needed than what is on file already.

It would really be interesting to learn where the monies are going.

Rich S.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
airega1

You just don't know!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Mode One

I have found out that this is being supported by the AMA. Whether there has been money paid to the AMA for this isn't clear, yet. If you feel this is a bad thing, I suggest you google yourself and see how much information on you, is already present on the internet. It may also be wise, if your concerned about the Commie Pinkos or Al Kiada finding out about you, to stop posting here or other R/C Forums. Maybe your concern is more about Big Brother Gum'ment getting a hold of your electronic data, or Lying, Northern, Liberal, Yankee-Blue Staters... Yep, your way too late to start worrying about this now!!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 PM
airega1

My original post was plain and simple, why all this "northern yankee blue state crap, hiding from the gov't" Shut this post down, for it is attracting the loose and shallow mind.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: AERORICH

Fellows: I guess the real question about this directory is did the AMA go with this idea of advancing the Academy nationwide, help the membership find lost buddies, OR MONEY. So far there has been no discussion what the AMA received for passing the membership list to Harris. If monies were received by the AMA, what program is going to benefit this added income? Does anyone remember the credit card offer? Now we have this Directory Offer. Yes, I can find my name on the internet with info about me, and I did not personally give it out; so we all could be listed somewhere with more personal information than we want, but this is the new information gathering frontier we face in todays world. Seems to me that there is no need to add any more of our personal information through this directory. Now who knows if the AMA will share in the $90.- collected from each directory sales, and if so where is this money going. All the members are already on file at the headquarters, and if there was a thought about listing all members by state and city in a publication for the members to purchase, this could have been offered prior to printing without having to get a different business to do it for $90.- a copy. No further personal information is really needed than what is on file already.

It would really be interesting to learn where the monies are going.

Rich S.
Do you guys not understand anything? There is no conspiracy, there is no financial motive. While you are not required to read the links I posted above, I highly suggest you do. THE DIRECTORY IS ONLY FOR AMA MEMBERS ONLY. Look and read why THOUSANDS of other non profit, for profit and schools and many other "membership" based organizations have chosen to utilize this service FOR FREE. READ IT and maybe, just maybe you'll understand it. If you don't want to be on the list, opt out. If you don't want to buy it, DON'T. What is wrong with you guys?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
1bwana1

STL,
This is the second time this year that I have been exposed to what I feel is dubious practices by the AMA. First, it was the unrequested CD-ROM thing that asked me to return it if I didn't want it. I did not watch it, or return it ,and I was bothered by aggressive billing letters. Today I received the email below (I have removed only some personal information). I wanted to be a good member of the AMA so I made the call. I was asked questions I didn't feel comfortable answering to a stranger. I said so and was told that they had privacy policies in place and would not sell the info to mailing lists. The info is also available on a CD-ROM and I know how easy it would be to parse that data to create a mailing list. The agent told me that there was a statement in the book forbidding this. A lot of good that will do. I was also subjected to repeated attemts to sell me a directory. The email gives the impression that the AMA needed help in updating my records. No indication that a third party was going to try and sell me something (although the small print at the bottom does say it is a 3rd party acting on behalf of AMA).

This is the second time in a year I have been subjected to what I consider seedy marketing methods by the AMA. I am really getting unhappy with the current management of this organization in this regard. Mind you, I have not been active in the politics of this organization, or even paid any attention to thhe politics. However, I am getting pissed off by this behaviour. At this point, if it were not for the requirement to be a member of AMA to fly at clubs and events I would cancel my membership.

AMA please stop this kind of sleezy marketing. It cheapens your organization, and violates the trust of your members.

IMPORTANT REQUEST

Academy of Model Aeronautics

We are currently in the final stages of editing your biographical information to be included in the Academy of Model Aeronautics Membership Directory, but we need help! A brief telephone call will ensure your listing is included, accurate and up-to-date.

Please, give us a call at your convenience within the next two weeks so that we may include you in the directory.

Note - If you haven't responded in any way to date, you will NOT be in the Directory at all!

CALL TODAY - TOLL FREE 1-800-546-7524
(Eastern Time)

Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Sat. 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sun. 12:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

International Residents: You may also call at:
USA Country Code (1) 757.965.8092
Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. UTC/GMT -5 (New York Time Zone)
Thank you in advance for your cooperation in making the Academy of Model Aeronautics Membership Directory a success.

Kelly J. Hardy

P.S. Harris Connect, Inc., a trusted partner of Academy of Model Aeronautics, has been chosen to produce our membership directory. Harris Connect's commitment to protecting the privacy and ensuring the integrity of the information collected for the directory is reflected in their privacy policy online at www.memberconnections.com/olq/privacy.html
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
vicman

1b, did you check the box on your renewal form that said you did not want to recieve offers?

So you get some mail you don't like, do you throw a tantrum at the dozens of post cards that come in the mail every year? Do you write letters to the editor of your local paper or put signs up on the grocery store board cying foul?

What a bunch of whiners about a sanctioning body that is attempting to promote your hobby.[:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.