Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How does your club handle this?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How does your club handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does your club handle this?

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Robotech said + At Least 10%, I simply demonstrated a guy might pay as much as 99% Waste if he renews at the end of December.

To clarify my earlier post:

I meant a 10% penalty on top of the regular dues amount. (eg. $58 + $5.80 = $63.80) This would give an incentive to members to pay on time and would assist in refilling the AMA coffers at years start.

We had a guy come to our fly-in that had let his AMA lapse all year and re-upped the day before our fly-in in late October which covered him through the rest of that year and all of the next. I can see the logic behind offering an incentive to a new member to do so but not "renewers".

Original: Hossfly

November and December are very much family times, with holidays, etc., young people off from school, college kids back home until well into Jan., not a whole lot of outside aeromodeling going on, even some AMA staff may be on vacation, etc., etc. Just Why-in-HECK, cannot there be a significant allowance for the AMA member to get-around-to-it?
There are many financial obligations that are due during the holiday season besides AMA. I just don't see many of them giving you an
extra month to pay with no penalty just ...... because.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM
busted2props

May I add a little twist? Current AMA but club dues have lapsed. Hmmm...Club bylaws state--If a non-member lives outside the city limits he/she may be the guest of a member in good standing and fly at the club field. Now, that is not an accurate quote, just the jest. What if a current (now past cause dues have lapsed) club member shows up to fly? ( When are your no longer a club member on the books? Immediately, cause they won't let you fly cause you are no longer a club member---Catch 22) That club member lives outside the city limits. Hmmm. The pilot is told he cannot fly because his dues have expired. Pilot tells the club Prez that according to the by-laws of the club, he can fly 'cause he is a guest of a member in good standing. He flys Sat and Sun, no futher problems. A few weeks later, pilot shows up with club dues in pocket, but before he could state his intentions, he is told he cannot fly because his dues have lapsed. (Do You See Red?) The "so called Club Big Wigs" decided that they would enforce club membership for anyone that lives within a 50mile radius of the city! HUH? Let's foster R/C flying and the addition of new members or even guests. Not hinder it with a cost of losing club members. Anyway, I saw RED!!!! Hung around just to annoy the powers that be. Wish I would have thought about the buddy box program,,,new flyer and all, ya know?

I spend alot of time out of town and just didn't pay my dues early like I used to. Oh well.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM
abel_pranger

busted2props-

Maybe the answer is what the geezer said when asked if he wore briefs or boxers - "Depends."

If none of the Board of Mommies or Deputy Fife types is present, go fly.

If they are present, go for pizza and beer. Or as you say, hang around just to annoy them. Then start another club.

Abel
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
busted2props

Man you got me right on. I just went for pizza and beer for a couple of years, and yes, sometimes annoyed them (too bad LCS wasn't there). What a waste....Anyhow the new club--everything expires with the AMA timeline...No current AMA card? [>:]We need to talk...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
ghost flyer

Zero tolerence is the best policy. There are a lot of people without primary insurance these days that may live with their parents or a girl friend and don't have home owners or even have auto insurance. If they don't have AMA they are totally uninsured. Do you want your club to be liable for this? It is difficult to enforce but that is the reality of it. If you have a club policy where you have a grace period doesnt that make your club liable for these cheapskates? I wish there was some way to get members to be responsible. It almost seems like some consider it some sort of game they enjoy playing.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 AM
jim_franks

Zero tolerance is the best policy. The club has every right to bar a person from flying if their by-laws spell it out what the requirements for a person to fly. My club only really requires that the flier has a current AMA card. My club seems to be rather lax at times in enforcing the rules on who is allowed and not allowed to fly. This puts your flying field at risk if the club does not own the land outright. I feel for the guy that is new to the hobby who shows up and wants to fly and does not have the proper documentation. I do not feel any thing for the club member that is not responsible enough to pay his AMA or club dues on time and expects to fly along side me. I feel that he has violated by right to use the site (as a due paying member) especially when he is competing for my time to fly or on the same freq as me. I will pay my club dues late this year only because I'm in Iraq and don't get back til spring. I have let the club know about this and will still pay for the full year. AMA was sent in when I received the notice. I consider it the same as a bill to be payed when I get it not when I feel like it. I expect that when I get back I will go fly prior to renewing my club dues (only AMA is really required), but will pay on my first club meeting as I should. To me that is part of being in a club. If your not going to join the club then don't fly at their field on a regular basis regardless of what their requirements are to fly their. You can only be a guest for so long.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:46 AM
KidEpoxy

True of False:

On Jan 29, 2009 a guy with a 2008 AMA membership card is still AMA and AMA insured,
and therefore still valid in clubs that require AMA membership?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 AM
jim_franks

Does not sound like the case. Will have to look again. Sounds like to me that if you have not renewed this is just a grace period to renew and not be charged new member fees. As for other benefits (insurance, standing, and valid membership) they expired 31 Dec. I would be interested to see the process if someone files a claim after 31 Dec on an accident and get results. I don't think there is on any other insurance policy (if there is tell me which one so I can get it).
Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 PM
KidEpoxy

Sounds like to me that if you have not renewed this is just a grace period to renew and not be charged new member fees
"new" AMA members get discounts from Muncie, not additional fees
Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
ghost flyer

I am confused. On my AMA card it says "Expires December 31 of the Above Year" Doesn't say anything about a grace period on the back. Is there some fine print I am missing or one of those hidden codes like in National Treasure?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True of False:

On Jan 29, 2009 a guy with a 2008 AMA membership card is still AMA and AMA insured,
and therefore still valid in clubs that require AMA membership?
Using "edit" for this post. "Dumb Thumbs" thought I was flying and I hit a wrong key so the quote was posted.

The above fits the AMA Bylaws and my main club, Jetero RC Club, INC. operates that way as it is also written into our Bylaws which were set up by an attorney.

The information is in the AMA Bylaws, and is a bit lengthy for the back of a membership card.
Membership Manual
AMA BYLAWS
"ARTICLE VI
Dues
The Executive Council shall set dues for all types of AMA membership.
Any AMA member who fails to pay annual dues within thirty (30) days
after they are due and payable shall be dropped from the membership rolls.
In any event, a member’s dues must be currently paid in order to exercise
the right to vote."
AMA operates on a calendar year for both normal operations and fiscal matters EXCEPT INSURANCE. Therefore dues are due by Dec. 31 of any year. The Bylaws allow 30 days grace period prior to being dropped from the membership, except for voting.
The Insurance year is April 01, through March 31, of the next calendar year. The '08 insurance is effective through Mar. 31, '09.

Have you ever noticed that event sanctions for events April and later are sometimes really late. That used to be the regular thing because the insurance negotiations run well into Feb., therefore no actual sanctions were issued for later than Mar. 31. AMA now seems to have those things put to rest. Good for AMA.

There have been some words mentioned around AMA about this Bylaws item, however it seems most recognize that this one item is not broken, so why "fix" it. Good thinking, EC.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
jerrysu29

Out here in the sticks we keep it rather simple and straight forward. On January 1 of each year our club dues and AMA will be current, if not you do not have access to the field. The combination on the gate paddle lock is changed Dec. 31, those who have not paid their dues, club and AMA just do not use the flying field. works great!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 PM
ghost flyer

Thanks for the clarification. Where did you find the bylaws on the AMA site/
Old 01-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ghost flyer

Thanks for the clarification. Where did you find the bylaws on the AMA site/

Membership Manual

I like to download the Membership Manual each year, and discard the old one, unless I wish to save something for historical use. That makes it easy for near instant access when I need to research things.
Same goes for Event Rules. Nice to have them available.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
KidEpoxy

Jerry
simple and straight forward. On January 1 of each year our club dues and AMA will be current, if not you do not have access to the field.
That would be simple,
if the AMA did consider an 08 membership not valid any date in 09.
However, how does your club deal with the AMA saying the 08 is not dropped, and as Hoss demonstrated, still insured? What criteria does you club use to say if AMA is current, if AMA is allowing 2008 folks to fly at AMA chartered club fields past Jan1 2009 ?

I see this recurring theme of clubs requiring AMA as a basis to decide on Jan1,
yet it appears AMA does grace period past that date.
Kind making the Jan1 club decision based on AMA flawed
(if AMA will carry them for 30days that the locals wont)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Bob Mitchell

However, how does your club deal with the AMA saying the 08 is not dropped, and as Hoss demonstrated, still insured?
It sounds as if they don't deal with that, and have unilaterally decided that for their members to use their field, both AMA and club membership must be current as of 1/1/xx.

We don't know whether it's written into their bylaws or not, but in any event isn't it their perogative to define and determine who does and who does not have access to their field? I don't see an issue here. Club says both must be current. Members know that. Cut and dried, and AMA's overlap/grace period/whatever you want to call it is a totally separate issue. It's the club's field, not AMA's.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
KidEpoxy

at risk of being redundant, since your soundbite missed this in your quote of me:

"What criteria does you club use to say if AMA is current,
if AMA is allowing 2008 folks to fly at AMA chartered club fields past Jan1 2009 ?"

I am not contented with saying "AMA is current if AMA is curent."
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Bob Mitchell

at risk of being redundant, since your soundbite missed this in your quote of me:

if AMA is allowing 2008 folks to fly at AMA chartered club fields past Jan1 2009 ?"

I am not contented with saying "AMA is current if AMA is curent."
To be honest, I'm not sure what your point is or what you are trying to say. The club's criteria for AMA being current is indeed, for it to be current, regargless of any AMA grace period. To be current in January for the CLUB'S purpose, your AMA must be paid. They don't care whether the AMA thinks one is or is not current or within some grace period.

The criteria the club uses is rather obvious.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
ghost flyer

AMEN BOB

I was only listening because the slackers and cons try to come out and fly when no one is there and it is hard to catch them or get rid of them. Just wondering if they would be covered if there was an accident. I renew mine in October or November before it expires. It is referred to as being responsible and respectful of my club, the club officers, the clubs rules, and the other responsible members of my club.

Thanks Bob for that simple and logical statement.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: ghost flyer

AMEN BOB

I renew mine in October or November before it expires. It is referred to as being responsible and respectful of my club, the club officers, the clubs rules, and the other responsible members of my club.

Thanks Bob for that simple and logical statement.
That type of absurd staement and attitude will get you pillaried in here. Ease up on the righteous living.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
ghost flyer

I also work as a disaster volunteer, give to charity, and donate time and money to the organizations I belong to. I even help little old ladies across the street. It is sad to be chastised for those kinds of actions these days.

This is turning into a great thread : )
Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
KidEpoxy

Bob
at risk of being redundant, <snip>

I am not contented with saying "AMA is current if AMA is current."

Bob, I can Cut & Paste till you answer other than Current is Current.
What criteria do you use to determine who is Current?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM
ghost flyer

I emailed the AMA about individual coverage and this is the answer I got:

Q 7: When does individual’s AMA insurance end? December 31st or is there a grace period?
A 7: Insurance is a membership benefit. The membership expiration date is December 31.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any additional concerns.

Are you sure you are not confusing the club charter and site insurance which ends of march 31st?

Ghost Flyer
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM
The Toolman

Epoxy will argue with ya until ya turn blue. Thats his main interest on here......Thats most of the reason I don't come here much anymore.

I am not overly thrilled with some of the ama's policies, But I dang sure ain't gonna spend every waking minute of my day on here arguing with everybody over every nit pickin little deal.

I hafta work, I can't mooch off of somebody an set home on my lazy butt on the computer pesterin' people all day long every day

Your best bet is just to find one of the other informative an interesting places here like the 3d or spad or sport flying sections.

Ron
Old 02-20-2009, 11:46 PM
ghost flyer

Amen Bro,

I had about 7 questions I needed to email the AMA from the last club meeting. It was just a coincidence that it was the same issue. You don't have to come here to find people like that unfortunately. My worry was that people would read the thread and think the information was accurate.

Ghost Flyer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.