Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why I'm Supporting Mark Smith

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why I'm Supporting Mark Smith

Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Bob Mitchell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I'm Supporting Mark Smith

I’m sure it is no secret to anyone who has been reading messages in this forum that my EVP vote has been cast for Mark Smith. Both candidates, IMO, are qualified for the position. Both have a long history of involvement in AMA and RC flying. There are, however, major differences between the two which leads me to conclude that one is fit to serve and the other is not.

Both have made themselves available to members of RCU to ask questions and learn why they should or should not be supported. Mark has answered questions put to him in a professional and adult manner. Most of the questions put to him were answered completely, regardless of whether you agree with him or not. The primary exception to this is the cost of PPP so far. His response was disappointing to me. As the head of the Marketing Committee those numbers should be available to him, and to us. His failure to supply a complete answer may be due in part to accounting practices that don’t break the numbers out specifically for PPP. If so, that in itself is a problem that should be addressed. Horrace, on the other hand, has played silly games with his answers, requiring one’s AMA number to get a response, to save him time, he claims. It’s interesting that he has responded too many of these questions, merely to taunt the user that he’s not going to answer. So much for his time savings.

In addition, many of his answers are peppered with childish personal attacks, meant merely to ridicule and embarrass. It surprises me that many of these messages were allowed to stand. Most of these comments were in response to questions that either put Horrace on the defensive, or challenged his statements and positions. Such childish tactics gives the reader some insight into how he will react on the EC when people disagree with him or challenge his positions. It bodes ill that he will have the ability to function with any effectiveness at all should he be elected.

Horrace has insinuated that Mark has used his position on the marketing committee for personal gain. When questioned about this he has refused to either support his claim, or to retract it. Politics by innuendo is one of the lowest forms of campaigning. It’s nothing but an unsupported cheap shot. OTHO, when asked Mark declined to make any comments regarding Horrace. Quite a contrast in class.

Horrace has contradicted himself more than a few times in regards to his positions. He claims to reserve judgment on the PPP program, but his comments indicate otherwise. The use of such terms as “Joe Parkee Flyer”, and IMO one of the most telling: "……….I have no real interest in the individual that has no interest in the real model aviation world. If one cannot afford full AMA dues, and an annual club dues of $150.00 per year which may have to increase soon, then I will do whatever I can to send these persons to another place to play with their toys.” Interestingly enough, in his campaign statement Horrace tries to reach out to all aspects of the hobby: “We need to recognize our fellow modeler, no matter his/her interest or station within the activity.” Which are his real sentiments? I think it’s rather clear, and it’s not what is contained in his campaign statement.

Horrace has also contradicted himself very badly concerning First Person Video flying, where a video downlink allows the pilot to fly from a cockpit perspective, rather than line of sight. In a response to one of my original questions Horrace was adamant that he would never support such. Then, just yesterday when asked by someone whose vote he might actually get, he turns 100% and talks about what a great idea it is and how he will support such. He even talks about how he needs some advisors so he can learn more about it. When questioned about the glaring contradiction he explains that he’s already learned about it, and thinks it’s a great idea. How convenient. I don’t believe it for an instant.

He also tends to embellish his actual accomplishments. In his campaign statement he lists as a “significant accomplishment” his involvement in gaining the release of additional RC frequencies while he was DVP some 27 years ago. Turns out his involvement was to discuss the issue with the EC, and then make a motion to provide additional funds to the committee. That’s it. Nothing else. Yet in his campaign statement he makes it appear that it couldn’t have been done without him. Interestingly enough, he has indicated that his involvement led in part to his resignation as DVP. Yep, he quit mid-term the last time he was elected.

And now he wants us to elect him again.

Horrace has little, if any, respect for those that disagree with him. In the recent vote to change the bylaws on the duties of EVP/CFO, over 50% of AMA Leader Members voted. Leader members are those recognized for above normal involvement/knowledge and leadership within AMA. Of those 50%, over 96% voted in favor of the bylaw change. Horrace didn’t support the change, and was quick to characterize that 96% as “naive and uninformed”. 96% folks. And now he wants us to elect him to a leadership position. By the way, he has characterized the position he seeks as nothing more than a “flunky to the EC”. Well, he’s campaigning awfully hard to become that flunky.

IMO, though, the most compelling reason to support Mark Smith and not Horrace Cain is his inability to “play well with others”. If you question this, just read through his messages. If you disagree with him, or even worse, challenge him on a position he becomes abusive and condescending with his messages. You become the enemy, who can’t understand, can’t comprehend, and his messages become littered with childish insults and personal remarks.
He has an ax to grind with the AMA or anyone who challenges him, and IMO that is his motive for wanting to become EVP. IMO he has a personal agenda here, and that, above all else, is his motivation for seeking election.

At best he will be ineffective and alienate those on the EC and AMA staff that he hasn’t already alienated. At worst he will be a disruptive influence on the AMA EC and make it difficult for them to accomplish anything that isn’t his idea or part of his personal agenda.

If that is what you want for the AMA, then vote for him. If not, then vote for Mark Smith.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Why I'm Supporting Mark Smith

Another good post. Well thought out, on point and well written.

I received my ballot yesterday. I think it will look remarkably similar to yours when it gets mailed.

Be prepared for the onslaught. You can borrow my flame resistant suit. No burns but it did get a bit splattered with excrement. [:@]
Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It only takes two of the rest of us to make your votes Null and Void.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
Is that supposed to be a revelation or something? That's the way voting works. Total up the counts and someone gets elected and someone goes back to the drawing board.

If Horrace should win, I'll congratulate him. hope that my concerns about him turn out to be wrong, and that he will be effective in his new position.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Stick make that 3 Mr. Smith got my vote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been witness to a shrill line of questioning towards Hoss that is beneath comment.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Muroc1

So what happens when the election is over with?

Some questions:

1. What we will have to discuss/debate then?

2. Is everyone going to shake hands and get along?

3. Since Mark is not a regular here, will we ever see him again?

4. What will Hoss do, whether he wins or loses. Will he continue to post here?

Just wondering.

Frank
Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

Some questions:

Just wondering.

Frank
Some Answers:

1. We won't have to discuss the Johnny-Come-Lately's. They will disappear (except Ol' Red)

2. See answer #1.

3. You didn't see him before, did you?

4. You can bet on it. Hoss will still be our loveable old curmudgeon.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

Some questions:

Just wondering.

Frank
1. SOS

2 Are you kidding?

3. Hope so. Probably not.

4. Scroll back to 2002. SOSDD.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
Is that supposed to be a revelation or something? That's the way voting works. Total up the counts and someone gets elected and someone goes back to the drawing board.

If Horrace should win, I'll congratulate him. hope that my concerns about him turn out to be wrong, and that he will be effective in his new position.
A revelation? Hardly. I fully expect that you will disappear back to wherever Lexington is.....Yeah, I know.....It's just South of the Ohio River, and just East of Frankfort (and you have a Square D plant out on Circle 4). We'll probably not hear from or of you again, until Muncie needs someone to stir the crap bucket. Just goes to show that the Horse farms are not the only source of Horses Prosteriors.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
abel_pranger

Rah, rah! Mark Smith, the AMA marketeering wunderkind!

He brought us PPP, the best thing since sliced bread!

I can hardly wait for the next unsolicited CD to appear in my mailbox, and wishfully a shiny coin commemorating the Brewster Buffalo too!

Stop the evil force of Cain! Clear the planet for AMA!

Now then, have I managed to post something that is not offensive by RCU standards?

Abel
Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Rah, rah! Mark Smith, the AMA marketeering wunderkind!

He brought us PPP, the best thing since sliced bread!

I can hardly wait for the next unsolicited CD to appear in my mailbox, and wishfully a shiny coin commemorating the Brewster Buffalo too!

Stop the evil force of Cain! Clear the planet for AMA!

Now then, have I managed to post something that is not offensive by RCU standards?

Abel
Well, since you didn't say "Tinkerbell", I think you're okay...oops[X(]

Seriously, tho, if you guys wanted to do something positive, you should highlight the other side of Hoss. Could even start a thread with that title. Something he yelled at me yesterday got me to thinking, (I know, dangerous), and I clicked on "Search" under one of his posts, and read several pages of his posts on forums other than AMA.

Get him away from here, he's a different animal altogether. Helpful, courteous, humorous, beer-drinking-buddy kind of guy.

I considered doing it, but he'd probably yell at me again.[&o]
Old 10-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Robotech

I have removed the original post after some further consideration and a good nights sleep.

It is curious how the some of the very things that prevent some from supporting HC are the very same things that cause others to support him.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Bob Mitchell

Stick,

Thanks for the mature and adult response.

This thread is about why I've chosen to support Mark Smith for EVP. If you want to discuss that, I'd be happy to engage. If, on the other hand you choose to discuss conspiracy theories then please start another thread dedicated to that topic. I might even chime in.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Robotech

I forgot to mention it is swine excrement on my flame suit.
That happens, frequently while one is applying lipstick to the pig.

Abel
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Kemosobie

Mark Smith has presented himself in a professional manner. No mud slinging, no ranting. His MA published campaign statement lists his AMA experience. His opponent's MA campaign statement lists no AMA experience . Mr Smith's demeanor has been polite and polished. One only has to read his opponent's posts and then draw your own conclusion as to Cain's demeanor.
This thread is ,Why I'm Supporting Mark Smith started by a Smith supporter. The opponent starts his own thread on why he cannot support Mark Smith. You would think he or his supporters would have started a thread on Why they support Cain but they didn't and it's a little late now.
It is your vote use it wisely. I have voted for Mark Smith.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 AM
kid chuckles

What has Mark Smith said? He does not and has not answered any questions put to him. He does talk but says in most posts he will look into something or will bring it to the EC attention. But does not state how he will fix anything or do anything about anything. He is nice about it though. But nice is not what we are voting on. I would vote for him also if it were voting which one had the best persona. Nice and courtious I would bet he is real nice and courtious to the two fellas on the PPP board with him REAL NICE. Probabaly to the point of buying them blinkers to wear so he don't hurt his neck when they turn. This is not the man for the job he is a friend of the pres. and that is all he is. Without that you would not even know who he is and no one else would either because he would more than likely not be in any kind of postion with the AMA. He has shown one thing and only one and that is if you scratch my back I will yours and to heck with what the outcome is.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

What has Mark Smith said? He does not and has not answered any questions put to him. He does talk but says in most posts he will look into something or will bring it to the EC attention. But does not state how he will fix anything or do anything about anything. He is nice about it though. But nice is not what we are voting on. I would vote for him also if it were voting which one had the best persona. Nice and courtious I would bet he is real nice and courtious to the two fellas on the PPP board with him REAL NICE. Probabaly to the point of buying them blinkers to wear so he don't hurt his neck when they turn. This is not the man for the job he is a friend of the pres. and that is all he is. Without that you would not even know who he is and no one else would either because he would more than likely not be in any kind of postion with the AMA. He has shown one thing and only one and that is if you scratch my back I will yours and to heck with what the outcome is.
I would respectfully request that you read or re-read his campaign statement. His record of service to the AMA is at the very least equal, if not superior, to that of the other candidate. Elected by the members in his district and serving his term to present. Other selfless involvements in his community are also listed. No grandiose claims of unverified or questionable accomplishments. Just a long record of success and service.

Who would have thought being nice, and being easy to work with would be a perceived as a negative. In the real world, those are the people who accomplish goals and make a real difference. Being approachable, open minded, and willing to listen to others is a positive character trait that would help the AMA achieve it's near and long term visions for the future of aero modeling.

The innuendo of corruption leveled at him by the other candidate, picked up and run with by his "supporters", have no standing other than to illustrate what some would do to further their own candidacy and an indication of what their modus operandi would be should they make it to Muncie.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM
The Toolman

I seen how that nice an easy to work with worked in the senate last night. $150 billion here an there always makes people easy to work with. An what was the deal with kids wooden arrows anyway?????
Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 AM
JEFFHINES73

ORIGINAL: Robotech

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

I would respectfully request that you read or re-read his campaign statement. His record of service to the AMA is at the very least equal, if not superior, to that of the other candidate. Elected by the members in his district and serving his term to present. Other selfless involvements in his community are also listed. No grandiose claims of unverified or questionable accomplishments. Just a long record of success and service.

Who would have thought being nice, and being easy to work with would be a perceived as a negative. In the real world, those are the people who accomplish goals and make a real difference. Being approachable, open minded, and willing to listen to others is a positive character trait that would help the AMA achieve it's near and long term visions for the future of aero modeling.

The innuendo of corruption leveled at him by the other candidate, picked up and run with by his "supporters", have no standing other than to illustrate what some would do to further their own candidacy and an indication of what their modus operandi would be should they make it to Muncie.
His record of service to the AMA is at the very least equal, if not superior

This only means he has served more time not that he is better than another person . Just becuase your new or have less time than other serveing people does not make you better . New blood is a good thing IMO

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: JEFFHINES73

His record of service to the AMA is at the very least equal, if not superior

This only means he has served more time not that he is better than another person . Just becuase your new or have less time than other serveing people does not make you better . New blood is a good thing IMO
The other candidate is by no means new blood. He held office some years ago and quit mid term for unspecified reasons. By unspecified I mean that he has publicly stated two different versions of his decision to resign.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM
bdavison

Ive read enough anti-parkflyer/electric pro-glow posts from hosspoop, to know he will NEVER get my vote.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 PM
KidEpoxy

I read post #1,
and I didnt see so much as what qualities were desirable in Mark,
as it saw just a shopping list rant against Hoss.

The one thing positive about Mark in the first post is something I disagree with,
he didnt answer ALL questions completely (with the OP noted PPP Cost exception).
My MA question got the tired dogma of it is required for the tax status, and when confronted that many AMA member classes either dont get or have folks opt out of this so called Required thing.... he responded that many of them do opt in. That doesnt answer the point that the Required line is hooey, he just twisted out of the questioning his first reply that it was Required. We have been thru the MA Requierd bit here ad nauseum, so lets just cut to the chase:

He twisted out of fully answering my MA question by spouting the partyline dogma that actually dont hod water.

So, in respect to the OP here,
the only thing good you had to say about MArk in post #1 aint so noteworthy,
if there ore other questions besides the one you noted as not really answered.

It is my opinion that you have mis-titled this thread, ratehr than Why I'm Supporting Mark it should be
Why I dont support Hoss
since that seems to be your fixation: Lots & Lots of badness about Hoss, and the the little postitveness you had for Mark even you coundnt swallow without placing qualifiers on it (apparently insuficient qualifiers).

Hey OP,
what about Mark do you like?
<other than he is anyone but Hoss>
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Mark Smith has definitely got the "mullet vote".
Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Mark Smith has definitely got the "mullet vote".
Bdaa, bdaa, that's all folks.

<Loony tunes theme song here>

Huh? The Mullet vote? What in the cat hair does that mean. Mullet the 80's hair style? Business in the front, party in the back. Hmmm. Never had one. Can I still vote for Mark Smith?

Guess Hoss has the flat-top vote sewed up? Now I did have one of those (10 yrs. old). Army brat you know. Little stick of butch wax to boot.

Hmmmm. Maybe you can't fit folks into little groups as much as you try. Old trick, same result.

Other than the perceived lack of interest in a pet peeve (OCD) concerning the free mag and the seemingly slow response to a request for figures not readily available to him, Mark has passed muster. The other candidate, not so much.

KE: Your ability to cast a ballot in no way affects your right to voice an opinion. Whether you are a $58 voting member or a $29 non-voting member, you have a right, a duty, to voice your opinion. Heck, even if someone is not even an AMA member they should have an interest in the election outcome as AMA issues are the issues of the modeling public in general. Gains or losses made by the success or failure of the AMA affect us all.

Rational thought and reason don't come with a membership card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.