Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

District X Election

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

District X Election

Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 AM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: District X Election

granting more latitude to Model Aircraft operations that are conducted in accordance with an FAA accepted set of standards established and administered by a community based association. In other words an organization like the AMA and its Safety Code meet that standard. I haven’t seen any indication that a, “400 foot hard altitude limit at all times and in all locations” is being proposed
You arc mixing Section2 and Section3 of the ARC.
FAA (arc s3) standards do indeed have the 400' hard cap, along with 55lb cap and No Turbines.
The ARC (s2) allows Community Standards orgs to simply ignore those caps.
AMA will certainly be one of the upcoming ComStand Orgs, with its Turbine waiver and Overweight Experimental Waiver past the FAA 55lb up to 100lb and (NoWaiver) Unlimited Alt(FL180?), but so will Clem&Cletus ComStand org with their 300lb waivers and Turbine Waivers.

The ARC sets (faa) standards, like 400' and 55lb and No Turbines,
but the arc allows any and all ComStand orgs to simply exempt themselves from the fed regulations.
AMA continues to stand behind a single set of rules plan
which could mean FAA will say everyone (AMA & Outlaw) gets over55lb above400 with Turbines... or nobody does.

LT
Do you stand with the AMA line that it should be an All or Nothing single set of rules when the Arc dust settles?
What are your thoughts on the hard 400' cap and exemption system in the ARC?
(Did you see what section3 says about flying internal combustion (glow) models within 3miles of an airport?)
Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Silent-AV8R

If the FAA defaults to codifying AC 91-57 as the definition of model aircraft operations that are excluded from the sUAS rules then we will in fact be stuck with a 400 foot all the time everywhere altitude cap. And reports are that there is a faction within the FAA that feels that is the way to go.

The AMA has a working group right now that is charged with writing an actual safety program for submittal to the FAA for approval prior to the NPRM coming out.

Hopefully the FAA will adopt the see and avoid concept that has worked so well for models so far and the sUAS rules will not be too big of an issue for us.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
ltougas

KidEpoxy,

I understand how it may seem I was not differentiating between sections 2 and 3, but I understand the difference. I thought Silent-AV8R’s comment about 400 foot ceiling everywhere all the time were because he thought allowing it in section 3 was a slippery slope and it could be required in the FAA accepted Community Based Organization’s Safety Code allowed in section 2. In any event in a perfect world the FAA would make one set of rules for everyone and they would allow the kind of operations allowed in the AMA safety code to continue. We all know that may not occur. This seems to me to be an initial position of the AMA and I am sure they would not push it to the detriment of the membership.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
ltougas

Silent-AV8R,
I agree with your comments and share your hopes. My experience with the FAA is that they don’t typically issue NPRM’s on the timeline they initially propose. It almost always slips. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a year or more later than what they say now. In any event whether the NPRM is issued in 2Q, 2010, or later we should be proactive. As I previously stated AMA should have a public campaign to raise awareness of avoiding conflicts with manned aircraft. They could kick that off immediately don’t wait for the FAA. We should also know all the details of every collision that has occurred in the past and analyze the causes so we can propose fact based solutions.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: ltougas

Silent-AV8R,
I agree with your comments and share your hopes. My experience with the FAA is that they don’t typically issue NPRM’s on the timeline they initially propose. It almost always slips. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a year or more later than what they say now. In any event whether the NPRM is issued in 2Q, 2010, or later we should be proactive. As I previously stated AMA should have a public campaign to raise awareness of avoiding conflicts with manned aircraft. They could kick that off immediately don’t wait for the FAA. We should also know all the details of every collision that has occurred in the past and analyze the causes so we can propose fact based solutions.
The recent update to Part 91 (and others) serves as a good example. The NPRM came out in January 2007 if I recall correctly and the changes are just taking effect in October 2009. Their wheels grind very slowly.

I think AMA has already worked on the collision history review. Fortunately there are few few to point to and no actual injuries reported.

And my comment about the 400 foot limit was based on FAA using AC 91-57 instead of either a single or two tiered approach. I'm not worried about a slippery slope situation.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
DREAMER-RCU

Perhaps a discussion needs to be started as to what makes a DVP position full time.

As pointed out, district 10 is a very large area with over 28,000 AMA members. On any given weekend there are many "events" going on that would love to have the DVP in attendance. Durring the week there are many club meetings, again that would like to have the DVP in attendance. How many of the events or club meetings should he/she go to. At what cost does it take to travel to these events/clubs? How much time does it take to travel? How much money for hotels? The budget for district 10 is $16,800.00. Using LA as a center, how many trips to HI, AZ, UT, NV, Guam can be made. Let alone trips to northern CA. That's just the requested trips. There is also the expense of the AMA IMS show in Ontario, CA in Jan. Some of the AVP's travel to the show/annual district meeting on their own dime, but others are flown in from far away. Hotel rooms are paid for. Hospitality and meals for AMA members and other members of the EC in attendance come out of the district budget. How about the time on the phone. A cell phone is a must and it has to be an extension of your ear. There are no private moments. Think of the different time zones. Someone always has a problem that has to be solved by the DVP right now. Thankfully there are AVP's. Bill and I are part of the larger organization of volunteers that work for the DVP as a closer to the ground level contact. We go to club meetings and events reporting back to the DVP. There are times when The DVP will ask us to explore a particular problem within a club or event and report back to him. We are the eyes and ears for accidents that unfortunately happen. We take a big load off of his back, but the buck stops with him.

District flying site: The CA site was an interesting problem. The DVP at the time had some very good, far reaching ideas. He had some very good people working on the site and it's plans. Unfortunatly, the land selected had never been plowed/cultivated and therefore came under some CA "hug the trees" law. Be that as it may, the funding scared the heck out of the EC Council. District 10 wanted to raise funds that were to be kept in the district, administrated by the district, and to be intirely seperate from AMA. This is how the AMA district patch program was born. The patch program was to be only for 10 but AMA disallowed it and made it for all districts with the money's going to AMA. The other funding idea was to use some of the DVP money to purchase some land for a field, then use that land as collateral for buying more fields, All in district 10's name. This brought about the EC politely asking the DVP to get out Dodge. One field is enough for AMA to own, any more and you have admistrative issues. I'm not saying that a district site can't be done, just that there were problems in the past and that if history is read and believed, then the same mistakes won't be made again.

Bob Reynolds
AVP Dist 10
AMA L3006
Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
The Toolman

A cell phone is a must

You are one of those people that think life didn't exist on earth before cell phones I guess. Its amazing how far civilization got before cellphones an computers, isn't it?

We've had our club for 12 or 13 years in the same place, an have never seen any of the people rep'ing us....
Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

A cell phone is a must

You are one of those people that think life didn't exist on earth before cell phones I guess. Its amazing how far civilization got before cellphones an computers, isn't it?

We've had our club for 12 or 13 years in the same place, an have never seen any of the people rep'ing us....

Just seems hypocritical to me for someone to use a computer to bash computer and cellphone users for using a cell phone and computer........
How's that Galloping Ghost radio working out for you and how do you get your telegraph msgs transcribed onto RCU?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
abel_pranger

Tnx for an interesting and informative post, Bob.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

A cell phone is a must

Just seems hypocritical to me for someone to use a computer to bash computer and cellphone users for using a cell phone and computer........
How's that Galloping Ghost radio working out for you and how do you get your telegraph msgs transcribed onto RCU?

Tell ya what feller. When they put Neil Armstrong on the moon, did they forget to tell him he couldn't do it without a cell phone?

Like I said before, its amazing civilization made it this far without cellphones an computers.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 PM
DREAMER-RCU

Toolman,

Have you ever requested the DVP or an AVP to visit your club/flying site? If not, why not?

My personal policy is to go where/when ever a club requests my presence. I consider it inpolite to barge in without being asked. I will stop by a flying site and talk with the fliers. I'm not big on remembering names, so I don't expect anyone to know mine. I'll wear my AMA hat but not my badge. I may introduce my self as a AVP, but really I'm just a visitor. If you ask me to come to your club meeting or your field, I will wear my AMA shirt, badge, and hat: expect to be introduced to the members/fliers present as a guest of the club, and try my best to answer questions, look at problems, WITHIN my percieved background and knowledge of AMA.

I have been to many sites where in several districts where I was the first AMA "officer" to visit their field. It is always interesting to see how different fields approach the same problems of safety and field regulations. No one has a perfect lock but they all manage to fly well within their own requirements.

I do not get the phone calls that my DVP gets. I get to sleep at night and have the ansewering machine take care of when I'm not by the phone. Unfortunatly a DVP doesn't have that privilege, he needs to be connected to a phone day and night. A cell phone is the only way right now of instant communications where ever the DVP is. Too many want to "go to the man" on top and he has to answer the questions/problems right then and there.

Bob Reynolds
AVP Dist 10
AMA L3006
Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 AM
The Toolman

I think surprise visits are always a better thing. When ya know they are coming, people tend to make things look a lot different than they really are.

Take the latest acorn stories for example....
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 AM
DREAMER-RCU

Toolman,

Yes, I think a surprise visit would be best to your club of five AMA members located near the banks of Harry Truman Lake in Warsaw, Missouri, AMA District 6. Randy Cameron, located in Springfield, 75 miles south of you, phone number (417)889-6254 is your local AVP. Give him a call. Your DVP, Charlie Bauer, is a longtime good friend of mine. With you having only 3 years experience flying with your 4 friends, I think it would be very interesting to see your field and the activity there.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:04 PM
The Toolman

Sarcastic remarks don't work on me

I tell ya what Mr. smart aleck.. The other people have been there for up to 11 years an I have been flying more than the few years before I joined the self serving ama. Besides, what the heck does how long somebody has been flying have to do with it? Our clubs founding father is named Robert Charles and has been in the ama an flying since back in the 50's an I'll bet he has a lot more trophy's on display in his shack for flying contests than you could ever hope to have in your entire life. Besides, he is still flying as good as ever.

Matter of fact, why don't you just tell your buddy to keep away from our field then. It sounds as if they don't need our $90 every year since we are so small. I think we'll just drop our charter starting this coming year, and I'll be sure and include your remarks about our small club when they ask why. Come to think of it, I'll just volunteer them.

Its better than thou ...... like you that turn a lot of people off to clubs an ama.

Remember, just keep teeing off the little clubs an you can keep the whole thing for yourself

Old 09-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Hircflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't seen a AMA person at our field in 20 years....

Toolman,

Have you ever requested the DVP or an AVP to visit your club/flying site? If not, why not?

My personal policy is to go where/when ever a club requests my presence. I consider it inpolite to barge in without being asked. I will stop by a flying site and talk with the fliers. I'm not big on remembering names, so I don't expect anyone to know mine. I'll wear my AMA hat but not my badge. I may introduce my self as a AVP, but really I'm just a visitor. If you ask me to come to your club meeting or your field, I will wear my AMA shirt, badge, and hat: expect to be introduced to the members/fliers present as a guest of the club, and try my best to answer questions, look at problems, WITHIN my percieved background and knowledge of AMA.

I have been to many sites where in several districts where I was the first AMA ''officer'' to visit their field. It is always interesting to see how different fields approach the same problems of safety and field regulations. No one has a perfect lock but they all manage to fly well within their own requirements.

I do not get the phone calls that my DVP gets. I get to sleep at night and have the ansewering machine take care of when I'm not by the phone. Unfortunatly a DVP doesn't have that privilege, he needs to be connected to a phone day and night. A cell phone is the only way right now of instant communications where ever the DVP is. Too many want to ''go to the man'' on top and he has to answer the questions/problems right then and there.

Bob Reynolds
AVP Dist 10
AMA L3006
[/quote]
Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 PM
The Toolman

By the way, for the guy that thinks 5 people can't have something nice.

Here is a pic of 1/2 of our field took from the air from a heli guy that comes out an flys here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41933.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1273712  
Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 PM
DREAMER-RCU

Ron,

I'm sorry that you feel that my message was sarcastic. It most certainly wasn't ment to be. You had pointed out quite correctly that a planed visit will sometimes hide problems and that a surprise visit might be better because it shows things as they really are.

I researched your profile on file in RCU and found that you have not been an AMA member for very long and that your club has few members. This is very unusual to me. I thought that you would appreciate knowing who your AVP is and how to contact him in case you would like a visit.

I appreciate that there are friends in the club with long time experience. You and your club members have benifited from their many years of experience. Your time as an AMA member has nothing to do with your lifetime of flying experiences. You appear to have mastered R/C flight better than I have. I'm still having a hard time finding the runway half the time. When I go to a R/C event, I'll let my son fly my planes for me. He nails landings, I don't. I've been building and flying models for over 60 years but this darn R/C landing thing has me down in the dumps and I like big electric ducted fans. Slow Stiks in the front yard are fun, but - - . I'm sure that if I could/did visit your field you would ask me to fly. I'm sure that I could learn something from you.

If I could travel to your site in Warsaw, I would very much like to see it. I have never visited a club with so few members. To me your club and it's field would be very interesting. You certainly advertise for all types of flying at your site. I wish more clubs (even some very large clubs) had the many types and open flying that you have. You are to be commended. How/when did it get started? You are on private land. Is the owner also a flier? If not, what is your agreement with the owner? Are you the only club in the area? Basically, I would like to know how a small group gets together and develops a field in a beautiful setting such as yours.

Please write up your club's history/story and submit it to your DVP. You probably have many leasons learned that could be of value to others. I know that he would be intrigued by your club and it's flying site.

As John Wayne and Maureen O'Hera said in their movies many times "pax".

So lets get back to a discussion on the Distric 10 VP position.

Bob
Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 PM
ltougas

I will be meeting with modelers in Southern California this weekend. If you are interested in attending the details are [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2009/09/southern-california-meetings.html]here.[/link]
Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Hircflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am inviting you to come to Hawaii be glad tp see ya.

ORIGINAL: Hircflyer

Toolman,

I have been to many sites where in several districts where I was the first AMA ''officer'' to visit their field. It is always interesting to see how different fields approach the same problems of safety and field regulations. No one has a perfect lock but they all manage to fly well within their own requirements.

I do not get the phone calls that my DVP gets. I get to sleep at night and have the ansewering machine take care of when I'm not by the phone. Unfortunatly a DVP doesn't have that privilege, he needs to be connected to a phone day and night. A cell phone is the only way right now of instant communications where ever the DVP is. Too many want to ''go to the man'' on top and he has to answer the questions/problems right then and there.

Bob Reynolds
AVP Dist 10
AMA L3006
[/quote]
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

I am inviting you to come to Hawaii be glad tp see ya.

Toolman,

Bob Reynolds
AVP Dist 10
AMA L3006
[/quote]

I get to Oahu for a week every Feb or Mar for a Navy meeting and would be more than happy to meet with any club or flyer who wanted to get together to discuss AMA or just have a beer and lie about flying.
Your local AVP, Wayne Hamada, is a great guy, you should look him up.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys,

Lawrence was just at our field yesterday (Sat). We are the field that was shut down when chicken little decided that after 30 years without a claim, we were a danger to society. Our barriers are up and we are flying.

Mr. Tougas came up to me before I was able to approach him and introduced himself... That impressed me. Being open and interested isn't our experience with AMA. I found him to be passionate about out hobby and very well versed on the issues. He's also younger than most AMA folks and I happen to think that's a good thing.

I applaud his desire to have a west coast site (How many times do we hear about Muncie being washed out during the NATS?).

To me, he's a breath of fresh air at AMA.... I'm voting for him.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 AM
ltougas

Longbaskt,
Thank you for the kind words. It was my pleasure to meet with you all. You have a great flying site and a fine group of modelers.

Sincerely,
Lawrence Tougas
AMA 247032
Old 09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
ltougas

I just updated my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]Blog[/link] with some pictures and comments from my Southern California swing last weekend, as well as the procedure to get a replacement ballot if yours is lost or damaged.

Lawrence Tougas
Candidate for District X VP
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM
ltougas

The following are some of the most common questions I receive when I meet AMA members. I complied this list to help voters make their choice. Please pass it on . If you would like to ask me a question that is not on the list please email me at [email protected]. You can also read more about my campaign at my website which is http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/.

Q: Is the District X Vice President a paid position?
A: No it is not, it is strictly voluntary, there is a small budget to cover the Vice President and Associate Vice President's out of pocket expenses for travel and other incidentals, but no salary.

Q: What area does District X cover?
A: District X covers California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Hawaii, and Guam. It covers almost 500,000 square miles. There are 285 clubs and 27,000 members in our district. It is the largest district in the AMA.

Q: Where is my ballot?
A: Your ballot is a postcard attached to your 2010 AMA renewal notice. You tear it off, fill in the square for the candidate of your choice, and drop it in the mail. It is already addressed, and has the postage on it too.

Q: Can I put my ballot in the envelope I return my dues renewal in?
A: NO, I'll say it again, NO, one more time NO, you cannot mail your ballot in with your renewal. If you do it will go to AMA Headquarters instead of Brady Ware, and Shoenfeld, the company that is paid to be a neutral third party tabulating the results, and it will be invalidated. So please mail the postcard separate from your renewal.

Q: I can vote online so I don't need my paper ballot right?
A: WRONG. You can not vote online. You must use your paper ballot. It is a postcard attached to your 2010 AMA renewal notice, and you must mail it separately from your dues renewal. You can pay your 2010 AMA dues online.

Q: I lost my ballot what can I do?
A: You can get a replacement ballot by calling the AMA at 800-435-9262 extension 290 and ask Shawn Grubbs to send you a replacement ballot.

Q: Why do you want to be District X Vice President?
A: I enjoy all aspects of modeling. I have built and flew free-flight, control line, R/C both Gliders and Planes. I can find something in all aspects of our sport to enjoy. I can't imagine a more exciting thing than being able to partake in all of the fun there is in District X and make a difference for our modelers. I would be on the Executive Council and able to shape AMA goals and policy that affects District X members.

Q: What makes you different from the other guy?
A: I think the biggest difference is that I have a plan with specific goals. In the year since my opponent was appointed our Interim District VP he hasn't laid out a long term plan for District X. Without a plan how do we know if we're making progress or even traveling in the right direction.

Q: What is your plan?
A: I have three issues I want to concentrate on initially. First I want to help clubs find and keep their fields. I have some specific ideas on how clubs can market themselves to their community and local officials. This will build good will and a relationship with the people who decide the matters that affect your field. This will be better than scrambling at the last minute when your field is threatened, and it will also make it harder for an official to say no to you. Its always harder for them to say no to people they know than a faceless group.

Second I want to improve the District X website. Most members don't realize that one exists. We could take the typical coverage that is put in the District X column in Model Aviation magazine which is a summary of a flying event somewhere in the district and move it to this website. We would have more room to cover events, and enjoy color photos, and video of these events. We could have a district specific event calender that puts all of the events that occur in one location categorized and color coded by type with links to maps to the event.

Finally I want to create an AMA West National Flying Site. This would be a site where we could hold major competitions and gatherings on the West Coast. Muncie is a jewel of a site and I am glad the AMA has it, but it does not serve modelers on the West Coast. We need and deserve a field that is closer to our homes.

Q: Where will you put the AMA West Flying Site?
A: I would leave that to a work group of District X members to consider the issue. That being said I would imagine that factors such as the geographic, and population centers of the district along with the price of land, and proximity of commercial air service, and accommodations would all be factors.

Q: Why should I vote nothing ever changes?
A: All I can say is give me a chance to prove you wrong. I have definite stated goals for District X. I'm able to travel because of my job so I will be out showing the flag as often as possible. I'm interested in all forms of our sport, certain regions of District X, as well as C/L, free flight, and soaring modelers all feel under represented, I will change that. Only 5-10% of AMA members vote; that means of those who do their vote carries the weight of 10 to 20 votes. Your vote matters, you have a choice this year, make a difference and cast your vote.

Lawrence Tougas
Candidate for AMA District X Vice President
http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Post, Lawrence. Not only will your district be upgraded, but the whole of AMA will also be better if you win. Wishing you the best of the draw! Men with a vision are very rare these days. Stay the course. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.