Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VectorFlight Sukhoi ARF tips wanted

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VectorFlight Sukhoi ARF tips wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:02 PM
Frag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VectorFlight Sukhoi ARF tips wanted

I got mine in the air 2 days ago. I'm still in the process of breaking in a new engine so it was a bit interesting to say the least. I got it fired up, still running pretty rich and just kinda running funny (its a TT .91) I've heard they run fine after getting broken in. Anyway I got it up the first flight and all went well. Just did some circles in the pattern, one roll. The plane tracked straight after some slight trimming. I was real pleased with the simple flying I was doing. The engine was acting a tad weird though, which I wrote off to being new. It sputtered if I gave it too much throttle and just kinda sputtered some throughout the flight. I made a one wheel landing after 5 or 6 passes...it just didn't want to come down! Refueled, got it back in the air and it just wasn't acting right. Maybe I just wasn't flying fast enough, it wasn't reacting the way it did on the first flight. The engine was REALLY wanting to die this time. I just wanted to get it back down before the engine died and I dead-sticked it into the field. I think I just need to get the engine worked out and the plane will fly great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26098.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	61765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60948.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	61766  
Old 09-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Calflyer

Wow, looks awesome, Frag! Thanks for the pics. Very nice touch with the 3 blade. Hope you can get the TT running straight before flying.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks so sweet, Have a Magnum 91 in a T-34 (hate this plane) looking for a new home. Been looking at this one for Santa to bring me. Keep us posted on flight reports and Frag make sure you have the choke installed on you TT91, Those engines won't run right unless the choke is installed, It acts like a type of veturi on the carb, You don't really need to use the choke but it needs to be installed to run well.

Keep us posted
Dauntae
Old 09-18-2003, 10:25 PM
RCRedbaron
My Feedback: (2)

I had the Sukhoi 31 by VectorFlight and loved it, before I midaired with another plane. Flew great. I had an OS 91, 2 stroke in mine and that was, I believe, too much an engine. Control throws were sensitive and VERY responsive, to say the least. Did everything I wanted it to do, and very quickly! The (only) thing I had trouble with was the gear. Mounted as the plans call for, the axels were too far forward by about a half inch. Kept nosing over on landing on our grass field. If you have hard surface, probably won't notice anything. All in all, the plane flys very well. Like an arrow, just point it where you want it to go and give it the power and she will obey.

Really a great plane. I will order another but next time it will be a 66" wing for my OS 91.

I give this plane a full thumbs up!!!!!

Happy flying, from Ft. Lauderdale

Dennis Swenson
[email protected]
Old 09-18-2003, 10:32 PM
RCRedbaron
My Feedback: (2)

Great plane, this Sukhoi 31 by VectorFlight. Had one and loved it until the mid-air. Had an OS .91 in mine and was too much power. Your 4-stroke .91 should be a better choice. I will order another VectorFlight for my OS .91 but next time will be a 66" wing. Only thing I will mention is that the gear was very slightly rearward causing many nose overs on our grass runway. I moved it forward by about 1/2" and all was corrected. Really loved this plane and you will too (if) you like speed and sensitive controls. Will do anything you ask it to do.

Good luck, I give it a full thumbs up!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Frag

Flew the Sukhoi today. The engine is running much better now that I've got 3/4 gallon through it....after trimming, it flew great straight and level flight. I had to put low rates at 25% for ailerons because at 35% they we kinda touchy (to me anyway). I've noticed a couple of things. Most importantly, when I give full elevator, it drops the right wing! Pretty scary when you're not expecting it! I mean go to do a loop and flop way right 1/3 of the way into it! The other thing is that the hardware supplied to attach the control horn to the surfaces tend to crush the surrounding wood from the pressure of the control surface against it. Maybe wider washers would help with that. As far as the right wing dropping when given full elevator I'm open for suggestions- Overall I still really like this plane and am looking forward to getting the bugs worked out so i can really dog it out!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Calflyer

Frag, reduce elevator throws to about 1/2 inch up and 1/2 inch down max, by using longer moment at control horn, not by dual rates otherwise your trim will still be too sensitive. Both elevators should have equal angle and control moment. If the horns are crushing the balsa, fix or change them immediately, or use a one with larger seat. Later increase elevator throws slowly so you get to the maximum deflection it will take without causing a tip stall. Most high peformance airplanes will tip stall with excessive elevator throws.
Good luck![sm=cool.gif]
Old 10-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Frag

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to get some control horns with a bigger footprint and attach the clevis all the way at the top of the horn, then take out some throw with the radio dual rates. From what you say and other threads on the subject it could just be too much throw. Hopefully thats all it takes.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:19 PM
SigFan

Hey Frag,

Been a couple of weeks since your last post. Let's keep this thread alive! Did you take Calflyer's advice? How's she flying?

I also ordered the Sukhoi, at $149 to good a deal to pass up. I also will be powering mine with a well broken in TT .91. (I have a pair of them, great engines) Are you still using the 3 bladed prop?

Everyone at my field has an extra 300, a few caps as well. I like the Sukhoi's looks, can't wait to get her!!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Burrito Bandito

I ordered the Edge and it is a great plane. I tried to over power it with a Saito 120 4-stroke and it was way too heavy. Putting a 91 in it this week and all should be well. The difference between the 120 and the 91 was exactly 16 ounces. Both were Saito's. The 120 was 8 - 10 years old and the 91 is 1 and a half years old. BIG difference! Was gonna go with an O.S. 91, but could not get it til next two weeks. I'll still get it and probably put it on a VF SUK or Extra.

I experienced the same thing as FRAG. I had the throws adjusted per VF and the pilot who maidened it for me asked if he could add a little elevator just in case. Sure enough, in an aggressive up-line it snaps. It has happened to a lot of people. Over in the other thread the topic has been discussed several times. I posted some pics of mine on page 9. Love this plane.

One word of caution. Make sure you go over the landing gear plate very carefully. I managed to stall mine about 12 inches off the ground at no faster than a light jog. The resulting impact managed to rip out the whole plate! I was very surprised and chalked it up to my excessive weight with the 120. However, after I got home and started the post mortem, I found that the landing gear mount as well as the firewall was only 3/16" thick. The material was very lite ply! Like the stuff you punch out of the fuse sides on an LT40 or a 4 Star 40. Seriously. It's an easy fix and the damage could have been worse. I'm putting in 1/4" hard ply and will use 1/4 x 20 nylon wing bolts threaded directly into the wood on the repair. I never thought the LG bolts were substantial enough....my bad for not fixing. As for the firewall, I am doing some reinforcing also. It will be back in the air this weekend and should fly a lot better. I liked it when it was too heavy, I bet it's gonna be great now.

BTW....you can take some of the scraps from the sheet the wheel pants came on and fashion more substantial washers for the control horns. That stuff accepts the covering really well, just stretch it good. You can even hit it with your blow dryer, but don't use the heat gun, it will melt the plastic.

John
Old 10-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Frag

SigFan - I did go and get some Dubro hardware for the control horns. They have a bigger footprint and should hold the wood without crushing it. Also, I am in the process of balancing the plane laterally. I got some stick on weights and I'm going to embed them in the wing end. It should only take a couple to get it balanced. And lastly I'm going to take out some of the elevator throw as suggested by Calflyer.
I changed the 3 blade for now to more of a break-in prop for the new TT .91 I really like the look of the 3 blade though and will go back to it...I plan on flying this Saturday ALL DAY! The wife and kids are going to a birthday party and the wife is letting me off the hook on this one. I'll give a report back after then.
Later-
Old 10-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Frag

OK I went and flew Saturday and this is the deal. It flies great! No more tip stalling of the right wing!! What I did was balance the plane laterally by suspending it with string at the prop shaft and the tail wheel assembly then add weight to the higher wing until both were level. It took exactly 1.25 oz. of lead in the left wing tip. Also, I installed the Dubro heavier duty control horns on the elevator halves. I went to the field and flew after these adjustments, but it still wanted to drop the right wing when given full elevator (which was only set to deflect about .40 in.). So, I took out more elevator using my radio. I did not fly just yet though. Another club member was helping along and he's pretty knowledgable. He suggested that adding some 2>6 mix would help and that he's known others to help their tip stalling this way. I added just a little amount of this mix and when I flew, no more tip stall. Hopefully I can add just a bit of the elevator throw back in to push the plane some more. Oh, by the way if anyone is looking to get this plane, don't. I like getting all the 'Nice model man, who makes that?'
Old 10-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Calflyer

Nice work! Lets see some more pics please, it looked awesome.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Dauntae

He suggested that adding some 2>6 mix would help and that he's known others to help their tip stalling this way.
Ok I'm confused, What exactly is that mix, Hopefully I will be ordering one soon so I'm watching these threads closely.

Dauntae
Old 10-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Frag

The 2>6 mix means that when you input up elevator (channel 2), the both ailerons (channel 6) move down at the same time. This gives a more coordinated, tighter turn.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 AM
avngr1

What ratio of mix was needed? I have the flaperon setup now, I was going to try and have one of the more experienced guys set in 15% elevator to flaperon when flaps deploy( to keep the nose up when landing). Can the mix be activated by the elevator as well?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Frag

[link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-6xsuper-q499.html]2>6 Mix for Futaba 6X[/link]

Try this link
Old 10-28-2003, 12:38 PM
avngr1

Thanks, So I am correct that there is no correct percentage of mix between the elevator and flaperons at all or for this plane? On another pose it was suggested that 15% mix be given to the elevator when deploying the flaperons. Does this sound right? This is my first computor radio so I'm just getting the hang of it. So far its much more convenient.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Frag

The ratio is something you are going to have to play with to get the way you like. I don't think there is really a set amount, only a general recommendation as for a starting point. What I did was put in just a little flaperons to go along with the elevator. How much I can't remember. I could check this evening on my radio. But, if I hadn't gotten the result I'd wanted then I would've bumped up the flaperons a couple of percent more and see what happened. What radio are you using avngr1?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:11 PM
avngr1

Futaba T6EXA It's fairly new.
So what i'm wondering is, is there one mix for using the elevator and getting lets say 10% flaperon and then another mix for getting 15% elevator when using the Flaperon? Are they independant mixes?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Frag

Well, this plane does not like to fly slow. I kept circling trying to bleed off speed to make a nice slow landing...the engine died and it went in from a few feet up in some bumpy pasture type ground. The front hit the dirt and the rear end snapped and flipped around toward the front. I actually put it back together last night but I need to go back and beef it up with lots of glue and epoxy. Live and learn!

Name:	Pn36210.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	80995  
Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM
cootertwo

"OUCH" Frag! I have a Sukhoi of another manufacture, and it too does not like slow at all. It took me awhile to get used to "hot" landings. BUT, they are a real blast in the air. Track like an arrow, and stay wherever you have them pointed. I've been told that there are a couple of REAL Sukhoi's at an airport near where I work. I'm dying to catch them out, so I can get some pics. I have seen one of them in action, and the guy fly's the wings off of it. He does everything I do with my RC version, and more. They are quite a plane indeed. BTW, I was told that the true Russian Sukhoi's engines turn opposite of most aircraft engines, so torque is opposite. Would take a bit of getting used to.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:19 PM
SigFan

Sorry to hear about your Sukhoi, Frag.

Been a while since I've visited this post, but I finally got mine up and flying. I used the Dubro 1 point control horns on all sufaces. Bought and installed Sig easy hinges, a few extra than what the instructions called for. Sulivan tail wheel mount, added tail wires as well. Hitec HS475 servos all around and a TT .91 4 stroke with APC 14X6 prop. Took advantage of the nicely pre-drilled firewall and mounted the engine at 7 o'clock with the exhaust out the bottom.

Boy, this is a nice flying plane! Took a few flights to get it trimmed out to my satisfaction but I love the way it handles. Lands a little hot, but not too bad. Snaps and knife edges nicely, even climbs in knife edge. Unlimited verticle with the 14X6.

Unfortunately, the weather here in RI is not co-operating and I've been grounded for a while. I'll get and post some pictures my next visit.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Dauntae

SigFan I see your in Cranston, RI Man we are close AHH well 45 min or so, This weather is killing our flying, Last winter was spent flying through most of it but this year is not looking so good. Where is your flying field, I would love to visit and see your Sukhoi, I'm planning to get one for the spring and have a Magnum 91 four stroke to put in it, Not as much power as the TT91 in yours but it pulls a 8+ pound T-34 around with power to spare. Can't wait to see those pics.

Dauntae
Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Frag

Well I got the fuse back together....I couldn't get the wood to index back together just perfectly, and didn't have the time to really,really fix it exactly right so I guess there will be somewhat of a seam where the pieces fit together...I wonder how well the covering repairs? The ARF came with a short piece of the red and the white covering material. I'll call Vectorflight to see what the best way to fix the covering is going to be. Probably peel and stick it on!

Name:	Hf10367.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	81839  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.