Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Oh... and if you were thinking maybe using one servo on the rudder.. you could use maybe ONE 5945MG at 181 oz. and save 2 oz. in the tail...
Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you'll find that she's a little nose heavy but thats all right for now. Just fly it and familiarize yourself with its handling and then check this: on a 30 deg. down line, wings level, throttle back, if the nose comes up, she's light on the tail, if the nose drops, she's heavy on the nose. This , of coarse, is after all other trimming has been done. She should hold the line if you nailed the CG. IT may help to have someone helping you watch.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:17 PM
ram3500-RCU

oops. nose up is light on the nose of coarse.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Maudib

I think you meant if the nose comes up she's a little HEAVY on the tail...

what you described sounds like the "Heads I win, Tails you lose" thing...

Ooops... I see you added... nevermind...

Originally posted by ram3500
I think you'll find that she's a little nose heavy but thats all right for now. Just fly it and familiarize yourself with its handling and then check this: on a 30 deg. down line, wings level, throttle back, if the nose comes up, she's light on the tail, if the nose drops, she's heavy on the nose. This , of coarse, is after all other trimming has been done. She should hold the line if you nailed the CG. IT may help to have someone helping you watch.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:17 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

When I built mine I mounted everything except the rudder servo and radio battery. Then I set it on a balancer where I wanted it to balance and moved those last two items until it balanced. I ended up with a single rudder servo in the stock location and the battery at the rear of the radio compartment.

It is balanced on the middle of the wing tube and needs the least amount of down stick possible to stay level inverted.

I also found some scrap balsa in mine (when I used a mirror and flashlight back in the fuse) it was wedged up in the turtle deck.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:09 AM
gtrick90

I've made a hole behind the carb the same size of the carb opening but in the picture it is not clear.
I'll post a picture that shows this detail.

Luca
Old 08-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

It is ok to balance it right side up or inverted. You will achieve the same results. I balanced mine right side up just because it is easier for me to do it that way. I also used one HT 5645 servo for rudder to keep the tail lighter. I have a Moki 1.8 in mine so all of the other equipment had to be shoved as far forward as possible. At least there is no dead weight in it
Old 08-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Maudib

That must be one lite Patty... did you ever get a "real" weight?

Originally posted by Mr_Scale
It is ok to balance it right side up or inverted. You will achieve the same results. I balanced mine right side up just because it is easier for me to do it that way. I also used one HT 5645 servo for rudder to keep the tail lighter. I have a Moki 1.8 in mine so all of the other equipment had to be shoved as far forward as possible. At least there is no dead weight in it
Old 08-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Mr_Scale

Actually no, I have not put it on the scale. I will try to remember to do that this evening and report back. It is light, compared to the Midwest Extra that I had, there is a significant difference.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Geistware, thanks for the pictures of the tailwheel mods. I think that's what I'll try first. I almost missed your post because of the page change.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:22 PM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

I'm interested to see everybodys setups. Like the engine, radio, and hardware used in their Patty. The costs of their setups and approx. weight would be interesting to see. Also and mods done to Patty and how they have worked? There have been so many different combos, I'd just like to see what everybody picked.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Mordib
GTrick 90...

Glad to have you!

Very nice and clean install...

If you have ANY issues with the engine running right you may have to open a hole in the firewall just behind the carb opening... It MAY be that turbulent air causes the carb to get uneven air intake...

Perhaps not, but keep it in mind.
I have been running my larger Extra with the ZDZ 80 with no holes in the firewall and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. The reason to have the engine on standoffs in the first place is to eleminate having to make holes in the firewall and not to have a flooded engine drip in the box..
Here is how I did mine with probems with air turbulence.

engine box
Old 08-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Maudib

Hmmmm.. I thought they were used to place the prop outside the cowl... silly me. That would explain why they make cowls extra long so you can arbitrarily mount the engine whatever distance is convenient then cut the cowl to fit your install...

As I said G-Trick... if you HAVE issues with the engine running a little uneven... it MAY be turbulent air rushing past the carb opening disrupting the even flow of air going into the carb.

Differing speeds would differ the effect, so you MAY notice some "hesitation" at a particular thottle setting vs. others.

Then again, you may not have an issues at all... that's why I said IF you have problems it MAY be caused by this...

Also Patty, in particular has almost a "double" firewall so placing a "breathing" hole behind the carb will not cause you to flood fuel in the plane whatsoever. Anyone who actually had one would KNOW that.

BTW... did you ever get a Patty yet Aerographix?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Forgues Research

Hmmmm.. I thought they were used to place the prop outside the cowl... silly me. That would explain why they make cowls extra long so you can arbitrarily mount the engine whatever distance is convenient then cut the cowl to fit your install...

As I said G-Trick... if you HAVE issues with the engine running a little uneven... it MAY be turbulent air rushing past the carb opening disrupting the even flow of air going into the carb.

Differing speeds would differ the effect, so you MAY notice some "hesitation" at a particular thottle setting vs. others.

Then again, you may not have an issues at all... that's why I said IF you have problems it MAY be caused by this...

Also Patty, in particular has almost a "double" firewall so placing a "breathing" hole behind the carb will not cause you to flood fuel in the plane whatsoever. Anyone who actually had one would KNOW that.

BTW... did you ever get a Patty yet Aerographix?
No I didn't get one yet, can't afford it, I'm not selling enough Standoffs
Old 08-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

I bought my Patty last Nov. and just started putting it together. Its a first production run with paper tubes, off color canopy etc. The wing tube took 2-3 hours to sand for acceptable fit. I have a Moki 2.1 thats installed with a bisson smoke muffler with a TME smoke pump "Old Version". I will use Hitec 5645MG digital servos all around except the throttle. I also have a MPI Miracle switch that I will use with a SR 2800 6 volt battery, this will keep the voltage constant to my Futaba receiver under heavy loads so it doesn't lock-up which has been a problem with 4.8 volt batteries.

I also thought the tail wheel set up was poor so I have a Tatone leafspring set up that is spring attached to the tail. I using the supplied control horns but using aftermkt heavy duty clevis and captive ball links on to metal servo arms.

I decided to go with the CA hinges but cut them 2"x 1.25" and sealed the hinge gap with monocoat.

For the wheel pants I used the same set up that was in the March 03 edition of M.A.N. I used the same procedure on my Ohio Cap 232 and it makes a big difference in the life of the pants. Lastly I have vinyl graphics that will replace those included in the kit.

Heres some help I could use,

1) Has anyone with the Moki 2.1 upgraded the tank and if so what type/size ?
2) How is the plane balancing with the Moki ?
3) How is the supplied spinner holding up /

Thanks for any and all help.
Kirk RC
Old 08-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Barry-RCU

When mounting a ZDZ 40 in the Patty with standoffs at 7" to the backplate you only have 1/4" or less behind the carb. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the firewall, however if others have done this without drilling a hole please let me know. In otherwords how much space is needed behind the carb for airflow? Also, fuel leaking from the carb still won't go into the fuse, however a backfire sure will.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Originally posted by ChixwithTrix
I'm interested to see everybodys setups. Like the engine, radio, and hardware used in their Patty. The costs of their setups and approx. weight would be interesting to see. Also and mods done to Patty and how they have worked? There have been so many different combos, I'd just like to see what everybody picked.
Now that's an idea!

How about creating a thread for nothing but owner's posts with pics and descriptions of their setups and equipment used. No attitudes, no off-topic rants, no endless drivels, and no 5000 posts to sift through to answer 1 question.

We can still keep this thread for general discussions, of course.

I think this is the kind of separation that will be well served by the merging of RCAirport and RCU.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Maudib

You might be right Volfy...

But if there was another thread like that... then it would soon start getting questin about those setups, etc..

Maybe they wouldn't be too out of place here if that be the case.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Mr_Scale

Kirk, our planes are set up very similarly. I have a Moki 1.8 in mine. I would have loved to go gas, but simply did not have the cash at the time. I too have a very early kit and spent a lot of time getting a good fit to the wing tube. To answer your questions: 1) I am using the supplied fuel tank and keeping my flights around 7 minutes and have fuel to spare. Your 2.1 will probably consume more fuel, but I have seen in the other big post that the guys with using 2.1's are also using the stock tank. I have worked out a way to add an additional 6 ounce tank next to the firewall but have not done that yet. 2) With the equipment moved as far forward as possible and using only one rudder servo, I got the plane to balance. That included rubber banding the smoke tank, old style TME and battery pack stacked together and as far forward as possible as well. That assembly sits side to side directly behind the fuel tank. I also have a McDaniel's on board glow system with a 1200 mah pack that is also as far forward as I could find a place to stuff it. The on board glow unit is nylon tie wrapped to the servo tray. 3) I am still using the original supplied spinner and have no problems with it. It is a bit of a nuisance when you have to take the prop off, but other than that, it is fine. I certainly don't see a need to go out and drop another chunk of money for a different spinner. I used Radio South CA hinges with no problems there as well. This Extra is a super flying plane and has been a real joy.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:55 PM
ram3500-RCU

Here it is cap10fan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99970_12995.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	56643  
Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 PM
BasinBum

Originally posted by ram3500
Here it is cap10fan.
Anyone looking for alternate set-ups. I have a friend who placed his pull-pull servo in about the same position as Ram's hatch. Kept the weight back and had even throw in both directions.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:26 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ENGINE-----ZDZ 60
AER- JR 8231
RUDDER----2-8231 IN STOCK POS
ELEV--------JR-811'S
THROTTLE---JR4735
PROP---24-8--BAMBULA--24-10 AFTER BREAK IN
2-1000 NIMH REC PACKS
1-1650 NIMH ING PACK
1- 1650 NICAD SMOKE PUMP

PLANE COMES IN AT 17 LBS & FLYS GREAT

I have pics in my gallery of my set-up

BALANCED ON THE WING TIP AT PER INSTRUCTIONS

BALANCED ON A MACHINE 6 1/4 FROM L.E.

HAD TO MOUNT BATTERYS IN THE TURTLE DECK
Old 08-07-2003, 10:54 PM
BasinBum

I got my Patty a week ago... some overall remarks on the plane are:

Well built, tho light and not overly sturdy. Having went thru the hardware contents, I can say the only thing I didn't like was the CA hinges. Now GP certainly knows what they are doing, but I have my own reservations about CA hinges on a plane this size.

I opted to use Robart Hingepoints. I placed them in the same locations as were slotted for the CA hinges because there was some hinge blocks installed at this location. however, I did double up on the two ends of each aileron by putting 2 hinges about 1" apart in the slot.

Here's a diagram of setup:
What size Robart's did you use and how tight is the hinge gap when you got done? Also are you sealing the control surface gaps?
Old 08-07-2003, 11:01 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

This is just a preview of what's to come... Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100001_12534.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	56644  
Old 08-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Maudib

That's actually quite striking Capt'n... Can't wait to see it all done!

Originally posted by 232Cap-Tain
This is just a preview of what's to come... Let me know what you think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.