Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull PT-19 ARF comments?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull PT-19 ARF comments?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seagull PT-19 ARF comments?

I got a nice PT-19 from Seagull Models for Christmas. It looks like a fun Sport model. I'm going to drop in a Magnum .52 4-Stroke for power.

Have any of you built one of these? Do you have any comments? Any ideas or things I should look out for?

I'd love to hear anything about this plane.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Herbs_007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull PT-19 ARF comments?

Hi Bob, I had one with a 46ax with a pitts muffler in it. Its not much on scale, but is a nice little flyer. Plenty of potensial if you want to spend time scaling it up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26911.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1722602  
Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 AM
N1EDM

Thanks, Herbs. I'm not expecting a super-scale plane but have always liked the PT-19. Like you, I only wanted a sport model.

I might look around to see if there are some small scale details that can be put on, just to pretty the plane up a bit.

Was there anything that you didn't (or did) especially like about it, things that I should watch out for?

Bob
Old 02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Herbs_007

Hi Bob, its a very simple kit, having a servo for each aileron was a small surprise, i didnt think it required two. It should take about 3 hours to finish unless of course you pimp it up a bit.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM
N1EDM

Hi Herbs,

Thanks for that. I might program in flaperons just for fun but if I could find a few minor details that I could put on just for fun.... I might change the number to 92, after my old Squadron... :-)

Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 PM
udiflight

nice airplane..i had one with a OS55Ax for power more batter and verry fast, because i like speed...its good for race
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
N1EDM

I also have a OS-55AX that I could drop in. I think I'll stay with the Magnum 52 4S for a more scale-like flight. That 55AX is a nice screamer and I might have another plane that would be better suited for it. I bet you worry about the wings flying off when you come out of a full-bord dive with that 55 though, right???

Bob
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM
MercerAUST

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar version from CPM models (probably built in the same factory) with a Saito 7cc (0.40 cubic inch) 4 stroke. No an excess of power, but it flew scalish and was a joy in the air. This is still a war plane (albiet well behaved) and will drop a wing if you are too casual. I lost mine in a too casual turn to landing approach. The wing dropped and it went into the ground. Anyway, it is a sweet flyer, but keep an eye on it.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 AM
N1EDM

Thanks for the heads-up on that, Mercer. I'll watch it. I think I'm going to drop in a Magnum .52 if it runs inverted OK. Other than that, I really don't want to overpower it with a 55AX. I'll also check to see if I still have a Thunder TIger 46 that isn't being used at the moment. Still, I'd really prefer that 4-Stroke .52 if I can do it.

I'll watch that part about making turns in the landing pattern... thanks again for that.

I'm still working on my Delta Vortex, so this build is still a month or so off. Maybe I should start a Blog on it to show what I like and don't like?

Bob
Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
MercerAUST

Go for the 4-stroke if you can. It should fit in inverted. Inverted can be a pain if you can't position the fuel tank mid-line parallel with the carby. I recall having a few problems with my 4-stroke inverted and excess flow to the carby. However, I eventually fixed it (additional fuel line to add a bit more resistance to the fuel flow). A 4-stroke is generally better than a 2-stroke inverted. You can usually tune them so they run fine at mid-high throttle, but it is hard to avoid a lot of smoke and fuel build up at idle. You just have to spend a bit of tuime with the cowl off getting it so it won't stall on idle.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
N1EDM

Hi Mercer,

I don't anticipate too many problems getting the Magnum to fit inverted, but I've had a bit of an issue getting this brand to stay running inverted where I don't have an issue with other brands - that was the reason for my comment.

It will be a while, as I said earlier, because of a current build that I'm going through with a BTE Models Delta Vortex. But, knowing me, I'll have the PT-19 on the building bench about 5 minutes after the DV has had the last of the covering put on

Anything else that I should keep my eye out for?

Bob
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

I have one with a Saito .82 in it. It is a little nose heavy with the .82 I think the .52 will be just right. I have the motor inverted and I didn't have to cut the cowl up too bad. I am thinking about getting some robo struts for mine. It is a nice looking and flying plane.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 PM
N1EDM

Thanks for that comment SE,

For the record, I have some Robo Struts and they look pretty good but do add a lot of weight. I forget the size that I have but wonder if they're the same that you'd be needing. They work beautifully though. I use them on my Hangar 9 Spitfire, which is a lot heavier than the Seagull PT-19.

You made me think about something, though. I probably won't go to RoboStruts but I wonder how these Robart plastic Strut Covers hold up on a less-than-perfect landing?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET61&P=7

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21459.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1726189  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 AM
top242

hi, asp52fs AR would be a good choice for the PT19? or the asp61fs ar ? Veri thanzs!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Top. I already had the Magnum 52 which is why I chose it. I just ran a couple of tanks through it on Saturday and it appears to be a nice, strong running engine.

Thanks for dropping that info though. If others see it, they might take heed.

The plane has some faults... but overall, it's OK. One stab pushrod is snug in its sheath, so I either have to clean it up or get a slightly thinner pushrod. It sticks right now.

There is also an ambiguous direction where it describes how to join the wings... if you read didn't read a few steps ahead, you could make a mistake and have a weak joint.

Bob