Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

50CC REVOLVER!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

50CC REVOLVER!!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wjc - can you share what you're using on electronics on your Rev 90? LiFe batteries? Matchbox? Rudder servo tray?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

I did a little experimenting with the Revolver 50cc this weekend. I tried a three blade prop with my DLE 55. Now everyone said there would be a loss of power and noise reduction, and there was. But not so bad. I think I lost about 5 MPH and a little noise. But it looks awesome!
Now it is much more costly, the Biela 20x10 was about $80 and so was the MPi spinner. A positive, it is very much less likely to have a prop strike with this increased clearance by going from a 23x8 to the 20x10. And my static RPM was 6500. About a 1K reduction in RPM, which should help just a little in the life of the engine.
I will look for the photo taken today and post it soon.

On another note: Bob, the LG plate is just a flat plate to tie the two LG pieces together. The only important thing is that there is NO slop in the holes to give it any flexing and cause the LG block to begin to crack in the middle.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Xoar makes a 3-blade 20x10 that turns a little faster on a DLE 55 than the Beila. They're hard to find though.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:09 AM
[email protected]

Yes I did see one of these Xoar 20x10 laminated props at Graves RC last month but did not pick it up. Now it's gone.
But I have not tried to tweek the carb yet with this change in props, so maybe I can get a little more out of it.
Here is a photo of the Revolver with the new Biela 20x10. I really like the looks of it and even with the slightly reduced speed, I will keep it. I already got a few positive comments about it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3 blade prop.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	2007671  
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 AM
[email protected]

Just one more comment. As you can see in this photo there is a grill just in front of the motor cylinder. Rather than cut more of the cowl away I left as much as I could. Then I made from flat stock this grill and hammered it to match the shape of the cowl and screwed it into place using left over nylon tie strap ends for something to screw into like a nut. The cowl itself is much too thin to give enough to screw into. This gives it a much better appearance without sacrificing cutting even bigger holes in the cowl, and gives air flow directly to the cylinder. Another option is using a plastic car models grill.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi MIke:
Radio Futaba 617. Dual LiFe batteries, each 3200 mAh for flight surfaces. Dual switches (MIracle). One life battery 2100 mAh for ignition with Valley View kill switch. Hitec HS7955TG servos all around for flight surfaces, Hitec HS5625MG for the throttle. Servo mounting is stock per the book all around. I think the geometry of the twin aft elevator servos might be just a bit different, but then again the R90 is not a pattern plane.

m_gutzmer - that 3 blade Biela looks great!

Last edited by wjcalhoun; 06-22-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 AM
ChriCYWG

Can anyone 100% confirm a structural weakness in the gear block of the revolver 50cc? It a known issue on the 70 version, and I did the woodscrew through the firewall mod to that one...
Old 06-24-2014, 04:48 AM
[email protected]

Well the way I look at it is this. The first two Revolvers have a problem with the gear, the 50 cc is built almost the same way. The only difference is that they added triangle stock above the block, and installed 1/8 dowle to pin that triangle stock to the firewall, not the LG block. But, that is on top of the LG block and does a poor job of holding the leading edge of the LG block in place in the event of LG shear off. It may be a small difference really, but if your gonna fix the problem, do it the best you can with the least amount of work and matereal.
I personnely have not had a problem with the 50 cc. But did not waite to find out and suffer damage like I did on the 70.
The hard wood triangle stock im sure does add some strength to the LG block. If it is enough, I really dont know.
I would like to hear from someone that did experience this.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:54 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Allowing myself to submit to an overabundance of caution/paranoia, I did this mod to the 50cc LG plate. STILL have not flown it, but experience with other designs, equally-bad, that I've used this "mod" on convinced me that it works. YMMV.
This will work on MANY different "weak gear plate" designs, minimum of fuss/expense, and results in an exceptionally strong vertical connection to resist shearing and downward movement of the front edge of the LG plate. By far, that is the most significant rearward leverage concentration point on the fuse, barring whatever bolt system is holding the gear to the plate in the first place. Here's the mod:
1. Remove landing gear from plate.
2. Carefully inspect interior of fuse at rear of firewall/landing gear plate attachment area. Make sure no plumbing, wiring, or hardware will interfere with next steps.
3. Obtain some bamboo skewers ( the ones at Wally world work just fine; 1/8" for 60-size stuff, the larger ones for bigger.
4. Obtain a long drill bit, slightly larger than the bamboo skewers (a slip fit, not a SLOP-fit).
5. Carefully mark about 5 holes ( four probably works fine on smaller birds) about 3/8" AFT of the front edge of the gear plate.
6. Viewing from the fuse SIDE, eyeball the angle you'll need to have the drill bit exit the fuse about 1 and 1/2" or so up from the bottom edge of the firewall. This looks to be about 70 - 80* eyeballing it.
7. CAREFULLY drill all five holes through the gear plate from the BOTTOM exterior toward the FIREWALL at the angle you decided on.
8. Slip fit some of the bamboo skewer pieces through the plate, and up into the firewall, extending out the FRONT of the firewall just a skosh.
9. Using either your favorite medium-cure epoxy, or the expanding foam polyurethane glue, Install all five wood pieces so that they extend beyond the firewall face, and the gear plate.
10. When everything is cured, clean/trim excess on the gear plate. Saturate the skewer ends with thin CA, let cure, then be sure they are sanded smooth.
11. Reinstall landing gear.

This whole thing ties the front of the landing gear plate to the firewall well above any triangle stock or doublers of junk ply, and really beefs it up.
CAUTION : If you land hard enough to shear the landing gear from front to back, peeling them off the landing gear plate, you will significantly (irreparably) destroy the integrity of the firewall forever. Unfortunately, I have tested this in practice, and it is the truth. ((

Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 AM
[email protected]

Yep, that would do it. Not the same as I did, but with about the same result. I really think your method is even stonger than mine.
Now I did try and search on Googgle for anyone esle having trouble with the 50 cc landing gear but did not find any. But that doesnt mean it has not happen.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 AM
wjcalhoun

Bob - very elegant engineering solution. It puts your skewers directly in tension should the main LG be pulled aft. Great solution. m_gutzmer - my 50cc LG failed on an irregularity in a mowed St Augustine grass field (crawfish mound). One might argue that the structure was not designed to absorb that kind of shock, but on my field, it happens occasionally.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it sure does, Bill. I think I hit that same "crawdad" hole a couple of months ago, ha, ha.
Tim
Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
ToolJoint

Great Thread guys,

I've been flying mine since early March with a 3MM 53cc and I really like this airframe and engine setup. I had to learn about the landing gear the hard way.

The engine was removed from a crashed Hangar 9 Extra 260. After hooking everything up, careful weight and balance checks, control setup checks, I maidened her on a dead calm day. She rolled straight and true, tail came up nicely requiring a touch of right rudder to maintain rwy heading, a touch of up a few seconds later and she was airborne, established in a shallow climb and gaining speed quickly. Then the engine quit...dead. Since the climb was shallow and there was plenty of runway remaining, I decided to set it down straight ahead...No big deal, right. Well, by this time she had glided pretty far down range, and was getting difficult to see well..( I just hit 50 and the ole' eyeballs ain't what they used to be). I was maintaining a pretty good glide, and started to a flare when it looked like the time was right. The plane did a sort of weird nose dive, jerked violently to the right, and pancaked in sliding sort of sideways, about the time it was coming to a stop I heard the sound of impact. We fly on a seldom used full scale dirt strip, so I hopped in the pickup to drive down and see what happened. As the plane was coming down, it hit the only remaining landing light left on the old runway. Impact was limited to the dead prop (broken) and the right gear leg which broke the plate, and tore the leg from the air frame.

My repair technique was pretty much the same as that described above by Bob, except I used fiberglass to reinforce the plate and the junction between the firewall and the plate. I now have about a dozen flights, and I must say I am quite taken with this airplane. It is easier to land than most trainers, is well balanced and responds well to control inputs. I'm not a 3D guy, I enjoy big full scale type aerobatics and IMAC, and this plane fits that bill quite nicely. I love giant loops with a snap at the top!

Fly on Kids!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Bob Pastorello

Great pic! And great runway/site, looks like.
Sorry about your LG; that is a bummer.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Super08

Bob I haven't seen you in a thread for ages. I hope all is well with you.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Bob Pastorello

For those needing a "true fit" good quality CF gear, here's what I bought, and just received. It is exactly the span, slightly taller and fits the fuse perfectly....http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=321434368676 At $46, I call this a great investment, as it is lighter, much stronger, won't bend, and best benefit - it doesn't have the rearward sweep that causes the grief to the LG plate.
I'll post pics to this post after I get the pants and wheels installed....they will also fit just fine on the width and thickness of the lower leg pad.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by Super08 View Post
Bob I haven't seen you in a thread for ages. I hope all is well with you.
Thanks! I'm here, just hanging out these days. Hair no longer on fire, hell, most of it completely GONE now. Hope things are good up north!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
ToolJoint

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello View Post
Great pic! And great runway/site, looks like.
Sorry about your LG; that is a bummer.
Thanks Bob,

Yes we have a great time at our flying site, and wouldn't you know it..one of the local guys is a photographer and drags all these really cool cameras and lenses with him when he comes out so the rest of us have some really cool pics of our planes. There are only about 800 people in our little town, but it's not uncommon to see 15-20 planes up on a Saturday, if its nice out. Funny, I didn't know about the landing gear issues...I think I would have an issue no matter how it was built with the light bashing event. ha....Hey those CF gear look like quite a little jewel. I am going to have to part out the old Extra to buttress the paypal account a little.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM
ToolJoint

Hey guys,

Hit a hole on landing roll out the other day and tore the entire gear plate out again. I am mad, and don't really feel like making the repair again. Anyone interested in the airframe for $250 OBO? I still have the box so shipping via FedEx freight should not be a problem.

Keith
Old 09-10-2014, 04:15 PM
microdon2

Tooljoint - I'm sending you a PM.

Last edited by microdon2; 09-10-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I had both previous sizes and on both I managed to strip the LG twice or three times. Its a revolver thing n I think it is because its structural shape. I since then sold them both.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 PM
ToolJoint

On going PM with Microdon 2.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 PM
microdon2

lopflyers - on both the 59" and 70" Revolvers I installed Dubro fiberglass one-piece gear (painted and color trimmed), bolted into a new flooring I installed behind the stock blind nuts. It has never failed.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 PM
ToolJoint

Still have airframe for sale with gear torn out, and slight damage to horizontal stab. Also canopy is cracked where it fell off the balancer...not really noticable. Shipping via FedEx to East Coast is going to be around 140, Greyhound is around 80... I presume West Coast would be less, but who knows...the shippers are getting pretty bizarre these days. UPS quoted me 1200 dollars to ship to New York. I told the agent on the phone I would get the wife and I roundtrip airfare to the Big Apple and stay a few days, shipping the plane as baggage before I'd pay that sum. I had a good laugh, the agent did not. They did call me back however and say if I shipped today, they could do it for a mere 500 bucks. I guess UPS must sell used cars as well as overpriced freight. Anyway, I'll deal with you on shipping or otherwise save you a substantial amount over buying a new one.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM
1FastMopar

Ok, I'm very much a novice, but learn pretty fast, been flying since the beginning of this year, crashed a couple, but only the first one did I fly into the ground, I had a Giant Ugly Stik with a DLE55 up until a few weeks ago, I was flying hard, as I usually do, and went into an outside loop pretty hard and busted one of the wings off, and you know the rest. I am considering replacing the cylinder and crankcase on my 55, and getting a Revolver. As hard as I like to fly, I think this plane may be the next step, what ya think?? I don't want to break the bank, and this one seems to be priced right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.