Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anybody using HD servo's ?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anybody using HD servo's ?

Old 03-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody using HD servo's ?

Was not really sure on where to post this question. But thought that this was a good page as anywhere else.

My history of RC radio equipment is with either Futaba or Hitec and have never used anything else. Recently a friend gave me 4 new HD servo's and not being familiar with them, I am wondering if anybody else is using them and can you give a report on them.

The 4 servo's that I now have are part # " HD - 6001 MG - Analog " .

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:50 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I generally don't enter in to these servo brand/model strings as they often end up, well, with many opinions and no definitive results. So I'll say simply I wouldn't be scared to try your servos in a sport plane I didn't have a fortune tied up in. If their centering isn't the absolute best available, so what? Most flyers I fly with will never notice or be able to detect that fact.

IMHO, many guys spend a LOT of money on servos that will perform at a level so far beyond their capabilities it seems a waste. There are many very inexpensive servos out there with good reputations. Here's 2 of them I've been flying for quite a while and would trust in anything short of a full on contest plane.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HD-1501MG.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 03-26-2015, 04:45 AM
Granpooba

Well, I am building a BALSA USA Eindecker 90 kit. And am just not sure if I feel comfortable straying away from the usual brand of servos that I have used in the past.
I have considered using one for perhaps a throttle servo and one for a rudder servo. But not sure I feel comfortable with elevator and aileron use.
But thinking back, I have had servo failures with all of the major brands also. One day I even had "both" aileron servos fail. Now, how often do you find that ?

Last edited by Granpooba; 03-26-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 AM
SkyPilot101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have "read" a lot about the 1501's being solid, and the same about the other offerings being questionable.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM
gas-flyer

I have HD servos in two 30cc birds, a Dynaflight Decathlon and a scratch built 3-D bipe and have had zero problems. For the price and experience with their performance I will continue to use them.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by gas-flyer View Post
I have HD servos in two 30cc birds, a Dynaflight Decathlon and a scratch built 3-D bipe and have had zero problems. For the price and experience with their performance I will continue to use them.
They look fine to me and not much difference between them and Futaba or Hitec. The specs also look good. But just like everything else, when you are trying something new and different, you tend to question them .

Putting a lot of time and work into the Eindecker that I am building. I just would hate to see Mother Earth eat it because she did not like one of my servo's.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used many, (50 +) of the 1501's with only 1 failure and that was out of the box. I've used a few of the 6001's and had issues with their centering and had one failure during setup. I would not put the 6001's into anything I had time and money tied up into.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot View Post
I've used many, (50 +) of the 1501's with only 1 failure and that was out of the box. I've used a few of the 6001's and had issues with their centering and had one failure during setup. I would not put the 6001's into anything I had time and money tied up into.
Well that is my concern as when this model, I will have plenty of time into it. I have some almost new and new Hitec's sitting on the shelf and was thinking about sticking with what has served me well in the past.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 PM
countilaw

When ever I try out a new servo, I use them on throttle or steering/rudder until I am satisfied with their performance.

Frank
Old 03-29-2015, 05:13 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After many MANY years of Hitec and Futaba servos, I made the leap of faith to others I had never heard of on advice from a flying buddy. To be fair, I had seen him using these servos (the ones I suggested above) for an entire season prior to doing that.

I don't see the harm in testing the water prior to jumping in. Save them for another project you aren't so attached to.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:25 AM
G T

i also have only used Hitec servos over the years.. Over the last few years I have had a few 645MG servos fail, thankfully with no loss of aircraft as I found the fault while doing pre flight checks. One of my flying mates has been using the HD servos for the last few years and has had no problems with them, which had prompted me to use these in a large SE5a that I have been flying for about 6 months now and to date they are really good.. I would have no problems recommending them as a great alternative to the well known brands that most have been using over the years, and at a considable cost savings also....
Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by G T View Post
i also have only used Hitec servos over the years.. Over the last few years I have had a few 645MG servos fail, thankfully with no loss of aircraft as I found the fault while doing pre flight checks. One of my flying mates has been using the HD servos for the last few years and has had no problems with them, which had prompted me to use these in a large SE5a that I have been flying for about 6 months now and to date they are really good.. I would have no problems recommending them as a great alternative to the well known brands that most have been using over the years, and at a considable cost savings also....
Which part number HD servos are you using ? Just wondering if they are the same # that I have.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:32 AM
Granpooba

Well, I have decided to put Hitec's into my Eindecker build. Will, most likely us up the HD's in various ways on later builds.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:46 PM
G T

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Well, I have decided to put Hitec's into my Eindecker build. Will, most likely us up the HD's in various ways on later builds.
sorry for the delayed reply,, I had been away at a air show at Omaka in NZ.. You would have liked it if you are into your WW1 aircraft.
I have been using the HD9150MG digital in a SE5a , but also of interest would be there 1501MG which are Analog and have a much better torque rate at 17kg than the Hitec..

good luck with the Eindecker
Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 PM
PT19

I have them in four of my planes. Two have been going for two season no problems. In our small club we have had four planes lost to Hitec servos. The last one was today. So what do we do? All things have problems.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:28 PM
PT19

Sorry for not putting the servos I have HD1501MG
Old 04-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Aloha Gentlemen,
I've been using HD1501BBMG servos for a couple of years now and they are in all my models now. They are in one large 35cc gas twin, an ESM Skyraider, ESM F6F and Top flight P-51D and a Nitro Planes P-38. Never a failure and a great servo for the money. This is the only servo I use now and the price is under 15 bucks a pop, and equal to servo's that cost four times as much, or more. Solid performance, good centering and very happy with the servo.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-17-2015, 01:08 PM
ffdez

Hi Bob,

I had one failure. What voltage do you use?.

Mine is 6.6V A123 and I read in other thread that these servos do not like more than 6V.

Francis
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I have a ton of the 1501s in warbirds and sport planes. They are very reliable and strong. One word of caution: Do not try to use these on the high speed setting in your receivers or they will absolutely burn up in very short order. I failed two on the bench just testing them out before I figured out what was wrong.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hay ffdez,
I used five cell Nickel batteries...6 (six) volts. Never a failure so far. I always burn in my servo's a bit with a servo tester...but medium speed on my servo controller. Great servo's for the money.
Aloha,
Bob Paris